Miracle in the Form of....Chicken?

Who Am I

"I can't believe hyung can't come back with us" Gongchan whined quietly as he and CNU entered the hospital elevators.

"Ya." CNU whispered while pressing for the forth floor, "You know he's been stressed, trying to write new songs for our next album." 

Even being alone in the elevators made them nervous of being overheard; they never knew what could happen.

"And he's right, it would be less suspicious if less of us came to see her at the same time. If too many of us came, we would get caught easier." The elevator dinged and announced the fourth floor as they exited.

"Yeah, you're right." Gongchan was still sad that Jinyoung had to leave them, "but it's a pity that he couldn't at least enjoy some chicken with us." He was holding a plastic bag with two rectangular boxes inside holding fried chicken.

"Yeah, you know he likes eating with us, too. But he had to go work on something with one of the producers." He put his arm around Gongchan's neck as they approached the door, "that's okay. While he enjoys a box of chicken by himself in the production room, we'll enjoy this with Tori-ssi."

Gongchan smiled and nodded. He slid the door open slightly and peaked his head in, "Nuna..." He said quietly.

"Ya." CNU tipped his hat a bit lower as he looked around, "just go in." He lightly smacked Gongchan's , pushing him into the room. When he closed the door behind him, he bumped into Gongchan who was standing in his way, "ya-" he followed Gongchan's gaze toward the bed.

Tori was sitting with her legs propped up, leaning against the wall. Her head was slightly tipped to the side and you could see her shoulders moving slightly from her light breathing.

"She fell asleep?" CNU asked, looking over at his maknae.

Gongchan's surprised faced suddenly turned to one of pure joy, "kyahhh~" he whispered, "nuna looks soo cute!" he walked over to her bedside and heard soft music playing, "oh? hyung..." he looked at CNU who also heard the music.

"It's our song" he responded as if to finish Gongchan's sentence.

Gongchan's smile widened, "can nuna be any cuter?" he looked down at Tori who was sleeping peacefully with the cell phone resting in her hands. "Aww, hyung, I don't want to wake her up..." he gave CNU an exaggerated pout.

"Then, just leave her." CNU helped Gongchan place the bag of chicken on the table. "You don't want to startle her while she's asleep."

Gongchan contemplated for a bit, "No, nuna is in bed all day, she shouldn’t sleep all day too. It's not healthy." He leaned over and picked up the phone lightly, trying not to touch her in the process.

"Yah-" CNU scolded quietly, "What are you doing?" he looked over Gongchan's shoulder at the peacefully sleeping Tori.

Gongchan turned off the music and placed the phone aside, "Nuna? time to wake up nuna..." he softly said. He reached out his hand to tap her shoulder but paused, "maybe if she smells the yummy food she'll wake up." He said half to himself, half to CNU. He turned around and went to unpack their lunch.

CNU was left standing in front of her awkwardly, "ya.. just leave her be" she quietly said, taking a seat next to the bed. Turning his head back to look at Tori, he saw her brows scrunch. Gongchan was rustling away in the background, ignoring CNU's protests. Not knowing what to do, CNU looked around as if trying to find something that'll hide him in case she wakes up.

The sound of rustling seemed to disturb her and she rubbed her eyes, waking up.

"heh... Tori-ssi... Ahnyoung." CNU waved awkwardly.

She just stared at him, brows still furrowed. Seemingly confused by the situation, she looked around and then saw Gongchan leaning over the table.

Hearing his hyung greet her, he turned around with a box of chicken in his hands, "nuna! Ahnyoung~ We brought the chicken!"

She finally grasped the situation and her brows relaxed. She turned her attention to CNU who was watching her expression change from confusion to blank emotion. Seeing his eyes fixated on her, she stared back, making him look away awkwardly.

"Mwo.... Channie wanted to have lunch with you so we brought the chicken here. Do you like fried chicken?" he watched her face, hoping for a change in expression, but got none. "Uhm," he rubbed his head, "let's go eat, shall we?" he got up clumsily and motioned for her to follow.

Gongchan shook his head, "both our hyungs are so awkward." he smiled at Tori and lifted the box of chicken again to show her, "come on, nuna. it's really delicious!" he took a seat next to CNU on the couch and began opening sauce packets, "we usually don't like to tell people about our favorite food places, because that means more people will go, which will mean we can't go anymore. but," he paused while creating a makeshift garbage pail with the shopping bag, "we're going to share this yumminess with you, nuna! heehee" he smiled like a child.

"Will she get out of the bed?" CNU mumbled while nudging Gongchan.

He looked at CNU and blinked, "good question," he thought and shrugged.

Tori just stared at them from her spot on the bed and, not knowing what else to do, CNU picked up a piece of chicken, "don't just watch her" he said, "just start eating."

Gongchan didn't feel like eating until Tori came but knew that what his hyung said was true; maybe she would come over if they didn't stare at her hoping she would move. He picked up a piece of chicken when his phone rang. He put it back down and took his phone out of his pocket, "oh? It's Jinyoungie hyung. hello, hyung? Are you back at the office?"

"Yeah, I'm waiting for the producer to come in. Did you guys get to the hospital without getting caught?"

"Don’t worry, hyung. We were able to walk around without getting noticed at all~" He glanced over at Tori who was now focused on the chicken on the table. "We are about to start eating the chicken but nuna don' budge from the bed. Jinyoung hyung, you told nuna that we'd both come back but you ditched us, I think you owe nuna an explanation," he teased.

"Ya. I'm sorry. But I need to work."

"Nope~ say it to her face!" he the video call option and smiled teasingly to his hyung.

"Ya~" his voice come out of the speakerphone, "I don't have time to play with you. The producer is coming in soon."

"That's why you should apologize to nuna quicker." he walked over to the bedside and held the phone to show both himself and Tori to Jinyoung. Tori stared at the screen, without a look of surprise nor annoyance.

"I think, maybe she won't eat because you broke your promise~" he teased, "right, nuna?"

"Ya-" he protested as Gongchan extended his arm to hand the phone over to Tori but she just stared at Jinyoung's image and the reflection of herself on the corner of the screen.

"Hello Tori-ssi." his voice came awkwardly through the phone, "uh, sorry. Work came up so I had to leave first. But Channie still brought over the chicken. It's really good, it's from our favorite chicken place." There was an awkward pause.

"Heh, I know you're not really upset because I'm not here, right? Heh, so try some of the food. I think you'll like it." He pretended to whisper, "And it'll get Channie off my case for not showing up."

"Hyung~ you broke you promise!" Gongchan whined in the background.

"I didn't promise anything. I said if we had time." Jinyoung looked to the side, hearing someone in the hallway, "Alright, I think I have to go. Tori-ssi, this time, I promise, I'll go visit again later on. Okay? I got to go. Channie, don't cause too much trouble!"

Gongchan smiled in success and turned the phone to face himself, "Yessir! hehe, I'll see you later, hyung." He waved and ended the call before returning to his seat where his food was waiting.

"Did Tori-ssi and Jinyoung get along well this morning?" CNU asked, curious of what just happened.

Gongchan shook his head, "I don't know. We weren't here for very long this morning." he leaned closer to CNU and whispered, "But I have a theory that nuna listens to Jinyoung hyung well."

"Wae?" CNU looked at him with his brows raised.

Gongchan shrugged and bit into his piece of chicken, "just a feeling."

While they were talking, Tori quietly slipped out of the bed, put on her slippers and walked over to a chair across from CNU

CNU, who was about to take a bite of his chicken, looked up. His mouth froze as he watched Tori take a seat in front of him. Realizing that he must look like a fool, he blinked a couple times and put his chicken down.

Gongchan was ecstatic and put a paper plate in front of her. "Nuna, eat some~"

Not looking up, she examined the chicken.

CNU wiped his hands and, seeing her eye a small piece in the box in front of him, he helped her pick it up and placed it on her plate. She kept her eyes on the piece of chicken and stared at it in front of her.

Gongchan nudged CNU and they continued to eat their food, pretending not to pay attention to her.

Tori peeled a small piece of the chicken and tasted it. Gongchan excitedly texted his other hyungs on the side while CNU couldn't help but watch her from the corner of his eye. He found himself watching in wait for a change in expression or even a slight smile. But she just ate the food slowly and with a blank expression. Her attention was solely on her food as if eating was a task she had to force herself to get through with.

"T-tori-ssi" CNU mustered up the courage to call her name. Of course, she didn't look up and continued to eat small bites, "how is it? Yummy?"

She placed the chicken back on the plate and looked up at CNU.

He raised a brow, wondering if she had something to say, but she just looked around at him, Gongchan and the chicken, as if wanting to watch them eat.

"Hyung~" CNU turned to see Gongchan holding a pickled radish up to his eye, peeking through a hole that had formed in the center.

"What are you doing?" CNU elbowed him and ate his chicken.

"Isn't it funny? I thought it was funny," He laughed at himself.

CNU knew Gongchan was purposefully acting cute to entertain Tori so he played along; they continued to fool around while finishing their meal. Tori slowly ate her one piece of chicken without saying a word or changing her expression, looking up once in a while to watch them play around.

Dr. Jang came into the room around an hour later to bring her to her next therapy session.

"I can't believe she sat with you boys eating lunch." He commended the boys. Tori stood outside, waiting for him to bring her to their session, "I don't know what she thinks about you boys but she's definitely comfortable. It took her a long time to get comfortable around Ana-ssi but she's instantly comfortable around you guys." He nudged CNU, "you might want to be careful. She might regain her memories and find out she was a saseng."

CNU let out an uncomfortable laugh. That would be a horrible nightmare for the group of it were true.

"I'm kidding!" Dr. Jang pat his shoulder. This strict doctor was always smiling around the boys and making not-so-funny jokes, as if trying to act like a cool uncle. "Well, I'll take her out now. Will you boys be here when she comes back?"

"No, we actually have to head back now," said CNU.

"We actually have some preparations to make for a performance next week. Today was just our day off, but we really should be going back to get ready now." Gongchan explained.

"Oh? Well I guess Tori-ssi will see less of you boys now." He looked out the door to make sure Tori was still standing there, "well, then I hope you can visit some time when you're less busy."

The doctor left with his patient and the boys cleaned up their chicken remains.

"Tori-ssi only ate half of her chicken." CNU noticed the left overs on her plate. "She ate so little."

Gongchan's mood suddenly turned down, "I wish we had more days off so I can spend them with nuna. I would have definitely made her learn to eat more in no time!"

"If she only improved with us around, maybe we could help her regain her memories too" CNU said regrettably.

Gongchan picked up her plate of left overs, "I swear that when the performance is over, I will visit Tori nuna again!"

CNU raised his brow at the random pledge to the chicken, "You know we have countryside concerts after, right?"

Gongchan whined at their packed schedule, "I don't care! My next free day will be spent with nuna! Jinyoungie hyung promised to see her again too! So we will come back!"

CNU let his maknae continue on while he cleaned up their mess. Inside, he hoped he could stop by to see her again soon too. "But, a little later should be okay, right?" He thought, "Depending on how quickly she gets better, maybe she'll still be here after our promotion period is over." It kind of felt like he was trying to convince himself of this. He sighed slightly, "Sooner would be better than later" he said to Gongchan, who solemnly nodded in agreement.

 

 

====

sorry, I didn't really like this chapter much but it was needed! lol the next chapter will be juicy~ i promise~~ hehe