Two Weeks

Who Am I

Two weeks passed and Ana continued to work at the coffee shop while Tori stayed in her hospital room, watching outside her window and listening to B1A4. When they performed a couple days ago, she watched them from her phone, allowing the music and cheering to echo in her silent room.

Ana, feeling that she has been neglecting Tori for the past two weeks while she worked heavy shifts and returned home late, decided to work half a day and spend the rest of the day with Tori. Doctor Jang said since Tori hasn't broken out in a panic attack in the past two weeks, it may be okay to take her outside. Ana wondered if it would be okay to take her off the hospital grounds; it would be nice to take her around and visit the places they used to hang out. But, if something were to happen while they were alone outside, she wouldn't know what to do. She worried that Tori might get hurt or that she might not be able to handle being around the crowds of Seoul; if something like a panic attach were to happen, Ana was afraid she would not be able to help her on her own.

Feeling confident that she could at least take a walk in the park by the hospital, Ana rushed back. "Unnie must have felt so stuffy sitting in that room by herself all week long," she thought to herself while looking into the shopping bag in her hands. She bought a couple more pudding cups which she saw had run out this morning. "Maybe I can get her to talk, too" Ana felt the excitement bubble up inside of her when the elevator doors opened up. She skipped to Tori's room and slid the door open, "Un-…......" She checked the time on her watch as she entered the room, "2:30.... her therapy session should have ended a while ago." she put the bag down on the table and looked around the empty room. She glanced outside the door and saw Tori's nurse coming by, "WooRi-ssi." Though WooRi was a nurse, no one ever called her by 'Nurse Jang', she enjoys being called by her first name because she claimed it made her feel closer with her patients.

"Neh?" She looked up from the handful of towels she was holding in her hands.

"Do you know where unnie is? She isn't in the room."

WooRi glanced into the room and looked at Ana, "No. I saw her come back with the Doctor around 1:30. Maybe one of your friends came and brought her out for a walk?"

Ana's breath knotted up, "I don't think so...." she looked around, hoping Tori would pop up in the halls.

"Wae?" WooRi looked concerned but Ana felt the words like prying eyes, trying to find gossip again.

She smiled at the nurse, "They've been too busy to visit frequently. And even so, they would have told me if they brought unnie out," she lied, "I'm sure unnie will show up somewhere. Maybe she just went out for a stroll" she did not want to panic in front of the nurse.

WooRi gave a reassuring smile, "Don't worry, she would not have been able to leave the hospital without someone with her. She's probably wandering the halls. I'll help you look for her when I put these away."

Ana nodded and found herself pacing down the halls, looking around for Tori's shadow.

 

------------

Sandeul and Baro entered the hospital casually and headed to the elevators, "Ya~ she's going to get so surprised to see us, don't you think?" Sandeul said to Baro.

"It's been couple weeks, I wonder if she has improved since we last saw her," Baro responded.

The elevator door opened up and a crowd of people came rushing out. Baro and Sandeul stood to the side, being inconspicuous as the people passed them by.

They were about to enter the empty lift when someone caught Baro's eye. He held onto Sandeul's arm who looked at him with confusion, "what happen?" Sandeul asked him.

Baro pointed toward one of the people that just exited the elevator. She took a few steps into the main lobby and looked around the room frantically. "Isn't that Ana-ssi?"

"Oh? It is." They looked at each other and Sandeul let the elevator doors go before they went toward her.

"Ana-ssi" Baro said her name when they were close enough for her to hear.

Ana turned, hearing her name. Her expression showed confusion at first but then she recognized them despite their disguise, "oh!" she said in surprise.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Baro asked, concerned at her frantic state.

Ana was fidgeting and kept looking around. She looked like she wanted to say something but couldn’t make out the words. She finally decided to walk back to the elevators, out of the public eye, before speaking to them, "Did you see unnie?"

They looked at each other in confusion, "No, we were on our way up to see her." Baro answered her question.

"Why? Is she missing?" Sandeul asked.

She nodded, "I came to spend the day with her but when I looked in the room, she wasn't there. The nurse said she couldn't have gone far so I looked all over the floor for her but she wasn't there. So I decided to come down to see if she wandered to different parts of the hospital." She ran her hands through her hair in frustration, "but this hospital is just so damn big, I don't think I'll ever find her." She bit her bottom lip, holding back curses.

"Don't worry, we'll help you look for her." Baro reassured her as Sandeul took out his phone, "The other guys are on their way here, we decided to come separately to seem less conspicuous but we can tell them to look around the hospital area."

As Baro spoke, Sandeul called Jinyoung and told him of the situation.

"Let's go upstairs and look again," Sandeul suggested after hanging up, "it'll be faster if we each take a floor, too."

Ana nodded and they took the next elevators, getting off at different floors. "Don't worry" Baro assured her before getting off on the 5th floor, "we'll find her."

 

------------

Jinyoung, CNU, and Gongchan were casually strolling the park by the hospital when Jinyoung recieved Sandeul's phone call. He stopped walking, causing CNU and Gongchan to look back at him in confusion. He hung up the phone and tapped Gongchan and CNU's arms, motioning to move quicker, "Ya. Let's hurry. Sandeul said Ana can't find Tor-ssi."

Almost immediately, they all darted for the hospital. Upon arrival, Jinyoung pointed to his left, "Hyung, you check this side," and tapping Gongchan he said, between breaths, "and you help them look inside. I'll check the other side." They all nodded in agreement and split up.

 

------------

Gongchan headed straight to the psych ward, which took up a couple floors. He figured Tori wouldn't wander anywhere too far from her comfort zone. He searched through the hallway of where her room was located and the hallway where her therapy sessions were held. However, she wasn't there. "Maybe she went to the courtyard!" he thought. After spending every day looking out her window, she might have wanted to see it up close.

Gongchan found the exit to the courtyard by Tori's bedroom but it was empty, like usual. He looked around and saw some new flowers in bloom. It was surrounded by brick walls on all sides, which made it seem a bit stuffy, but this courtyard was quiet and peaceful. He sort of understood why Tori would stare out into this courtyard every day.

He followed the pavement path toward where Tori's bedroom window was. He saw someone standing by the bushes, staring into her room.

"Ana" Gongchan was surprised by her presence.

She was startled at someone calling her name and relaxed when she saw Gongchan. "Gongchan-ssi"

He furrowed his brows at how awkward that sounded but continued to walk toward her. "I guess you thought the same thing as me. Are you okay?" he asked.

She nodded, "I'm just worried about unnie. I hope she didn't wander too far. In America, her condition wasn't well enough to handle crowds or unfamiliar places. I don't know what might happen if she ends up getting lost in Seoul."

He was sympathetic and hoped they would find her quicker, "Don't worry. I'm sure she's still in the hospital. Let's keep looking."

She nodded and they were heading back inside when Gongchan received a text from Jinyoung. "Oh? Jinyoung hyung found her!"

"Really??" she looked down at his phone, curious of where Tori was but trying not to pry the phone out of his hands, out of courtesy. "He says he's going to bring her back to the room.

Ana finally let out a sigh of relief before her legs gave in. Gongchan caught her by the arm and helped her sit by the dry water fountain next to them. "You don't have to worry anymore, Ana. Tori nuna is fine."

She nodded and bowed her head as low as she could in a sitting position, "thank you."

Feeling uncomfortable with her formalities he waved his hand, "no no.. really, we were all worried when we heard about it. It's fine."

She smiled weakly and stared at the floor in front of her.

"By the way..." Gongchan wasn't sure if it was appropriate to pry, "You and nuna... don't seem to be related... but you seem really close."

She smiled to herself, "yeah, even though she isn't my real sister, she's better than a real sister to me."

He felt his curiosity rising but resisted, "I see...by the way" he decided to change the subject, "don't ever call me Gongchan-ssi again."

Ana looked up at him and raised a brow at the change in subject.

"It sounds really weird," he admitted, "you can call me ChanSik oppa (older brother)," he smiled.

She chuckled, "oppa?" she made a face at the word, "I'm sorry, but after living in America the past few years, I've grown to find the word 'oppa' too aegyo (cutesy) for me."

"Then.... Channie?....oppa?" He said teasingly.

She smiled, relieved that he wasn't prying much about her history with Tori, "I guess if I had to choose between the two, I would stick with Chansik oppa." She kicked a pebble on the floor and felt comfortable enough to satisfy his curiosity, "I met unnie in Korea. 4 years ago."

Surprised that she brought the conversation back to this topic, Gongchan listened quietly.

"She was studying here for a year as part of an exchange program and I was a senior in high school. She chuckled at Gongchan's shocked expression, "Yes, I'm a Korean citizen. Don't look like one, huh?" she looked back down at the floor, remembering those long gone years. "It was actually by chance that I met unnie. She wasn't living on her school campus but instead lived in a small, rundown apartment. Her apartment was actually right across the hall from mine. I was completely different back then. I was a trouble maker, hanging out with the wrong people and doing the wrong things. heh, I was practically failing out of school too. My first encounter with her was during the middle of the spring semester. My mom kicked me out of the house and almost beat me to death until unnie interrupted." She smiled at the memory, "I remember her bravely stepping between my drunk mother and I. My mother was so dumbfounded, she left me alone. My mom was often drunk and never home but when she was, we would argue and when arguments went wrong...well, let's just say I only gained street credit because of what I've learned from her. Tori unni took me in that night and since half my body was in pain, I didn't refuse. But after that... for some strange reason, this girl suddenly felt a necessity to take care of me every moment she saw me." Ana laughed at an image Gongchan could not see, "I would be walking down the street with my friends and she would come over like a protective older sister, making sure I went home or giving me some life advice." She looked back at Gongchan who gave her a look of disbelief of all he has heard so far, "I guess it's hard to believe, since I don't swear much now... but back then, whew... I had a nasty mouth. You wouldn’t believe all the things I've said to her. Hah I remember I used to call unnie all these different names, most of which weren't so nice. But my nickname for her was 'nosy-body' because she wouldn't stop sticking her nose in my business. "

"I guess she finally got through to you?" Gongchan said with a smile, "Since you're here now?"

She laughed, "Not really. She just... grew on me. haha. Before I knew it, no matter how much I didn't want to hear what she said, all her words stuck like glue to my mind. I have to put up a front to pretend I didn't pay attention, but in reality, everything stuck." She sighed, "and eventually, I cleaned up and graduated. Though, I did graduate a year late... but I still gradated at the top 5% of my school. And, got into a good American university." she opened up her arms, "and here I am now. Four years later."

"Wow..." Gongchan found himself in awe of Tori all over again, "nuna was cool even before!"

Ana smiled, glad that Gongchan saw the past Tori the same as the present one.

Gongchan's phone rang, "Hyung? Are you back in the room?" They both got up, ready to leave. "Mwo?" He looked at Ana who watched him with curiosity, "Alright, be right there."

 

------------

Jinyoung wandered the side of the hospital, seeing patients leave the side door and ambulances carrying new patients to the emergency room. At such a large hospital, there were many doctors and patients wandering around outside, but there was no sign of Tori. He checked the parking lot and double checked the side entrance, but nothing. When he found himself at the front entrance again, he closed his eyes and he tilted his head back, toward the sky, "God, please let her be safe," he whispered a prayer.

The hot sun beat down on his sweaty face and nearly blinded him when he opened his eyes again. "Maybe she's still inside," he thought and was began to head into the building before stopping in his steps. He tilted his head, "maybe it was just my imagination," he thought, brows furrowed. He took a step back and looked up again, cupping a hand over his eyes to see clearly. No, he was right; there was a shadow on the rooftop. "Tori-ssi," he mumbled as the shadow disappeared into the building. Even though it was too far away for him to tell if it was her or not, he darted into the building.

In the elevator, he found himself asking a million questions in his mind, "why would she be on the rooftop? Is this her first time leaving the hospital room on her own? How did the nurses let her leave the floor? Was that even Tori-ssi? If not, who could it be? Is it someone attempting to commit suicide?" His mind was unsettled and the adrenaline rush from running around outside did not help him calm down either. He exited on the top floor and looked around: it was another hospital floor. "How do I get to the roof?" he thought to himself. He looked around, in search for the flight of stairs that led to the roof.

"I think I know how she was able to leave without being detected" he thought when he finally found the flight of stairs hidden away in the corner of the hospital. "The hospital is so big, no one really pays attention to the people wandering around the halls." He reached the top floor and took a deep breath before opening the door. The bright sun invaded the dimly lit stairwell and Jinyoung covered his eyes with his hand as they adjusted to the sunlight.

Someone was sitting on the floor, leaning against a brick wall on the side of the roof. She turned her head when she heard the door open.

"Tori-ssi" Jinyoung recognized her immediately and went toward where she was sitting.

She watched him come closer, her arms wrapped around her legs, like she usually does when sitting on her bed in the room.

"Tori-ssi. Are you okay?" He asked, kneeling down to her level.

She looked at him and then back at the closed door he came from.

"What are you doing up here all by yourself?"

Her expression did not show pain nor confusion but looked up to the sky calmly and back at Jinyoung.

He sat down in relief, "well, I'm glad you're okay." He took out his phone, "you know Ana-ssi was really worried about you. We all were." He paused and stared at his phone, "ah... none of us have a way of contacting her..." He texted Gongchan: "I found her! Tell Ana-ssi that we'll meet you guys back in the room."

"Tori-ssi, are you okay?" He put his phone away.

She looked at him, "why do you keep asking that?" Her lips did not move but it felt as if the words were really spoken.

"Why are you on the roof by yourself?" he asked, looking around at the desolate rooftop. During the past two weeks he almost convinced himself that what happened last time was just his imagination and that if he were to see Tori again, the same thing wouldn't happen twice. He looked at her and saw her response, "Am I not allowed to?" Obviously, he was wrong; it wasn't his imagination.

"I didn't mean it like that. We were just worried something happened to you." He looked at her blank expression and awkwardly looked down on the ground, "well, I guess it's alright since we know you're okay now." He stood up and leaned over the brick wall. "Wahh, it's really high up." he looked over at Tori, "I actually wouldn't have found you if I didn't see you leaning over this before."

She watched him stretch his arms high in the sky, "NNGYAH~" He swung his arms back and forth before going back over to where she was sitting, "shall we get going?" he reached a hand out to her but she just stared at it. "Ah, I forgot" he retreated his hand, "Let's go?" he said, sheepishly.

She didn't move but instead, looked straight up at him.

"M-mwo?" He nearly jumped in shock, "A-are you sure?" He went over to the door and turned the handle: it was stuck. He wiggled it couple times but no luck. "It really is locked" he mumbled to himself.

He went back over to her, "Is that why you're up here by yourself?" he asked.

"Sit" she eyed the ground next to her, "Looking up at you is hurting my eyes"

He silently obeyed.

"No." she answered his question through her gaze, "I'm here because I want to be."

Suddenly realizing that he's having a conversation without really conversing, Jinyoung looked away, "Well, if I didn't come up here for you, you would have been stuck here all alone. You could have gotten hurt and no one would know."

She didn’t make a sound and he peaked at her from the corner of his eye, she finally had a change in expression. Her face seemed to show, "Oh. I didn't think of that." But then she straightened up and eyed him, "It doesn't matter" she seemed to tell him.

He sighed and took out his phone, "lets get someone to come get us, neh?" He dialed for Gongchan, "Hey. No.. not yet.. We're actually stuck up on the roof because the door is locked. Can you come get us? When you go to the top floor you gotta make a right and find a stairwell in a hallway that's hidden in the corner of the main hall. Yeah. Thanks." He hung up and leaned back against the wall. "Well, Tori-ssi. I guess we can enjoy the quietness until Channie comes."

His eyes were closed as the sun beat on his pale white skin. He wore a black hat that covered his hair but up close, she could see that his hair was not black like the last time she saw him but light pink. He wore a white T-shirt that looked too large for his thin arms; come to think of it, he seemed skinnier than last time she saw him.

She suddenly remembered that the last time she saw him was two weeks ago. She saw them on a music show and a couple other TV shows which means, they should be busy with their schedules, but why is he here?

She looked at him, wondering how he and Gongchan had time to come. She wondered how busy their days must be with shows to go on and performances to carry out; taking a day off to come to the hospital would be a major inconvenience to them. She wondered why they came at all.

He opened his eyes while she asked these questions to herself and he said innocently, "Because I promised."

His voice broke her train of thought and she turned her attention back to him. He was looking at her with a steady gaze, "Last time, I promised I'd come visit you again soon." He blinked a couple times, "Don’t you remember?"

"Those kind of promises aren’t to be taken seriously," she looked away from him and returned to her position, holding her legs in her arms.

"Wae? Isn't a promise, a promise?" He sat up and shifted his position so that he could look at her clearly. Seeing that she didn't have a response, he continued, "also, Channie and Sandeul wanted to see you so we all decided to come together on our free day."

"Why does he keep explaining himself to me?" She tried to look away.

"Tori-ssi." He tone turned serious. She turned to look at him and he was scratching the back of his head, "Geunde(but)... why don't you try to use your voice to speak?"

She blinked at him, surprised at his suggestion.

"Mwo..." He became nervous again, "it seems like I'm the only one that can have a conversation with you like this. And even so, I need to be looking at your eyes to tell what you're thinking." He laughed at himself, "I also look like a nut having a one-sided conversation. But," he gathered up his courage, "I think Ana-ssi would like to hear your voice again. And it would worry her less if you told her your thoughts." He looked at her, hoping she had a response, but she just stared at him. "Tori-ssi?"

Her eyes seemed to grow a bit darker, but he saw a glimpse of her thought: "why?"

He smiled and reassured her, "don't worry, if you don't want to." He rubbed his head in embarrassment, "I guess I was sort of curious of what your voice sounds like too."

The shadow in her eyes faded and she looked away from him.

Just then, the door opened up, "Unni!" Ana ran toward them from the door and Jinyoung stood up to greet her. Ana immediately got down on her knees and grabbed Tori's shoulders, examining her up and down, "unnie, you okay?"

Tori violently shoved Ana's hands off of her and backed up toward the wall. She gathered up her legs into her arms and stared at Ana, wide-eyed.

Ana, realizing what she just did, stood up, "I'm sorry, unnie." She backed up, bumping into Gongchan behind her. He placed a hand on her shoulder, telling her it's okay.

Jinyoung cautiously knelt down before her, "it's okay, Tori-ssi. Ana-ssi was just worried and overreacted. But you're fine, right?"

Tori was breathing hard, on the verge of a panic attack from being surrounded by the three of them. She looked into Jinyoung's eyes and tried to level her breathing. "She was just worried. It's nothing to be afraid of. They're here to help me go back to my room. There's nothing to be afraid of." She repeated to herself.

Jinyoung saw these thoughts and smiled slightly, "that's right. There's nothing to be afraid of." Ana and Gongchan looked at each other, wondering how Jinyoung was able to get through to her.

She gained control of her breathing and closed her eyes to relax her nerves.

"Hyung, let's bring her back to the room" Gongchan suggested.

Jinyoung nodded and asked Tori, "Tori-ssi? Let's go back to your room now, okay?"

They both got up and Gongchan rushed to the door. He pulled it open and kicked the stopper he used out of the way. Ana followed behind him.

Jinyoung started toward the door when he felt something grab onto his arm. He turned around to see Tori, with her eyes closed and brows furrowed. He felt her grip on his arm tighten, "Tori-ssi?" he turned to face her. She didn’t seem to hear anything he said. "Tori-ssi, are you okay-" she released her grip and collapsed backward but Jinyoung was able to catch her from behind.

"Unnie!" Ana ran back to them, "what happened?"

Jinyoung shook his head, "I-I don't know." He shook Tori a couple times, "Tori-ssi? Tori-ssi?" She was a lot lighter than he thought.

She slowly opened her eyes as if waking up from a slumber. She her lips, which Jinyoung noticed were dry, and rubbed her eyes. Ana was towering over her, "unnie? you're okay? what happened?"

Tori backed away from Ana, closer into Jinyoung's arms. Realizing there was someone holding her, she looked up and Jinyoung and then down at his arm that was around her shoulder. He let go of her shoulder, but was afraid she couldn't stand on her own so lightly supported her as she stood.

"I-I think Tori-ssi just got up too quickly after sitting under the sun for so long." he stuttered and motioned toward the door, "l-let's bring her back into the room first."

Ana nodded in agreement and they entered the dimly lit stairwell again.

Gongchan, who saw the whole scene from the doorway, watched the silhouette of Tori and Jinyoung in front of him as he closed the door behind him, "Ssst," he his teeth and tilted his head, "they seem to have a strange connection..." he mumbled to himself. "How can hyung talk to her so easily? And even touch! She doesn't seem to mind him supporting her..." He shrugged to himself, "Mwo, I guess I was right, nuna has a soft spot for hyung. hehe," he concluded his thoughts and followed down the stairs.

 

~*~*~*~*~*

Tehehehe I usually write the next chapter before posting one chapter but was too excited for this one hahaha so my next chapter may take a little while to be posted hahaha :P hope yall liked! :)