First Meeting

Who Am I

At the hospital, Ana’s thoughts from earlier did not seem as certain. Hearing about her agoraphobic tendencies Dr. Jang, Dr. Choi’s colleague, gave Tori a small room to herself. Ana was not particularly happy that it was a room in the psych ward, but she had to accept the terms if it was going to help her.

“We’re going to try living here for a month and an half,” Ana told the doctor, “Her parents have to stay in American to work and I need to go back to school when the new semester starts. And, I think if she doesn’t get better by then, staying here any longer won’t make any difference anyways. So you have to make her better, Dr. Jang.” After hoping for a little over a month, Ana and Tori’s parents were close to giving up, but are now holding onto this one last chance.

After initial examinations, Dr. Jang suggested that Ana would bring Tori around Seoul to places she would be familiar with and see how it would help. But, with the crowds in Seoul, Tori had a panic attacks and returned to the hospital via an ambulance.

Ana called home daily, updating Tori’s parents about her situation. Tori’s parents, being immigrants to the states, did not have very high paying jobs but worked extra hard to pay for the hospital bills. Thank goodness with Dr. Choi’s connection, they were able to pay the fees of a local patient rather than as a foreigner.

Not seeing any physical evidence that caused the memory loss, Dr. Jang tried to prescribe medication that could help with the improvement of memory for Tori. But Tori didn’t seem to enjoy taking medicine: she would leave the medicine sitting on the table or even toss it away if it was forced onto her. Dr. Jang resorted to injection once, but her headaches began to occur again whenever the doctor was near her.

“Your torturing her!” Ana said through tears to Dr. Jang in his office. She had headaches a couple times back home but now they are more serious whenever you try to give her medicine. If there’s nothing wrong with her physically, why do you keep trying to give her medicine?” She pushed the forms of consent back to him. “No more medicine. Her parents told me last night as well. If you suggest another form of medication, we will reject it. And being that her family cannot be here, they gave me the authority of all treatment consent.”

Dr. Jang took the paper and put it in a folder, seemingly unfazed by her response. “Okay.” He said, “I agree with you as well.” He folded his arms and leaned into his chair, “Forcing her to take medication is not a solution, especially if it isn’t a physical condition.” He tapped his head, “she has a psychological condition which we cannot predict when she can get better. You refuse to admit her as a patient in our psychological disability ward, and we cannot just have her laying there as a general patient without attention or treatment, which is why the medication was a step we needed to take. However, if you admit her in our psych ward, we can watch her 24/7 and give her the proper psychological treatment, no matter how long it’ll take.”

Ana’s stomach churned at the thought. They were basically forcing her to admit her permanently.

Dr. Jang leaned forward and sighed, “I know what I’m saying sounds cold and as if I’m coercing you. But truthfully, it’s cheaper for her family that way and she can really get the treatment she needs. She’s already in the psych wing, my higher ups are wondering why I’m attending a patient considered “general patient” that isn’t officially listed in my department. Out of consideration for you and Dr. Choi, I’m trying to do what I can, but it’s already been a week. If you want to give her all the help I can give in a month’s time, you will need to admit her into the psych department.” Dr. Jang was around the same age as Dr. Choi, mid 50s, and seemed strict and was blunt with his words. But, when it came to his patients, Ana saw that he put a lot of effort to make them take a step closer to recovery without stressing them too much: like a strict teacher who always challenged his students to surpass their current level of understanding. Though his words sometimes seemed harsh and direct, Ana appreciated his knowledge and always took his advice seriously. Knowing it was against the family’s will, he never mentioned for them to admit Tori. If he mentioned it now, it must mean it was necessary.

Ana sighed, tears involuntarily rolling down her cheek, “okay. I’ll tell her parents tonight. But, no more medicine….”

“Not unless we find that she really needs it.” He assured her.

------------

It’s day two of officially being admitted as a psych patient and Tori has a nurse assigned to care for her and has two therapy sessions a day. Ana would sit by her bed and play B1A4 for her, the only music she wanted to listen to after the incident in the other hospital. When they appeared on music shows, she would show it to Tori, who could spend all day watching their music videos.

Although it was not considered much of a development, she was glad Tori became comfortable with her in the room. Her attention would always be on the phone but wouldn’t mind Ana sitting by her and talking.

“How can you listen to the same songs so many times a day?” Ana said, tiredly. She was unable to sleep the night before because Mr. So’s contractual work has finished, which means she may need find some temporary work here to pay for her own living expenses and contribute to the hospital bills at the end of the month or just pull Tori out of the hospital all together. She yawned and rubbed her temples, “I usually would consult unnie about these things. But then, I wouldn’t be struggling with this if Tori was able to consult me.”

Knock. Knock.

Ana turned to see Tori’s nurse at the door, “jeogi(excuse me)....” She said shyly. The nurse was in her late thirties and was usually nothing but shy: she loved to talk and gossip with the other nurses in the ward.

“Neh?” Ana asked, confused at her entrance. “It’s not time for her therapy yet. Is there something wrong?”

“Oh..no.. it’s just… Tori-ssi has some visitors.”

“Visitors?” Ana stood up, she didn’t tell any old friends that they were in town, let alone that Tori was in the hospital. What kind of visitors would she have?

The nurse gestured to welcome someone into the room with a shy smile.

It definitely wasn't someone: more like someones. Six men walked into the room, each bowing as he entered. The nurse giggled and shut the door behind them.

Ana, confused at the situation, looked at the five men that were semi covered up: one with his sweatshirt hood on and glasses, one with a cap and sunglasses, one with a facemask, one with a facemask and beanie, and one with sunglasses and facemask. The last man was not covered up and stepped forward to Ana, with his hand stretched to shake her hand.

Ana shook his hand and bowed slightly, still confused. The men behind him began to unmask themselves when the door was shut.

"We're from WM Entertainment" the man said, "I'm Park InRo. I'm B1A4's manager. And this..." he gestured at the men behind him, "is B1A4."

Seeing their unveiled faces, Ana's eyes widened, "oh?..."

They bowed again, saying "ahnyoung haseo (hello)"

"We received your email" their manager continued, "and I showed it to the boys and they were really touched by it and wanted to come see your friend."

Ana was at a loss for words. Right in front of her were one of the most popular idol groups of Korea. She sent an email a week ago, when they arrived in Korea, expressing her gratitude for their music because it's all Tori seems to recognize. She only wrote the letter as a form of relief in celebration since she

didn't really have anyone else to express it to. She really expected the company to only look it over as fan mail. But they actually paid attention to it.

"Truthfully what you told us was just unbelievable," Jinyoung, the leader of the group, said, "That she only recognizes and responds to our music. But it was such an amazing story we asked our hyung to look into if she was really staying at this hospital" He was wearing a white tee under a black cardigan and blue jeans. His gestures were shy and awkward, speaking while rubbing the back of his head. He was holding a black facemask in his other hand.

"And when he found out that there really was a Tori So here, we were so shocked." Sandeul chimed in, he was wearing a yellow and orange long sleeve tee with jeans and had a black cap and dark shades in his hands, "can it really be that a person only responds to our music? We thought. We were so touched by it we thought maybe if we came to see her, it might help her condition a bit."

Ana could feel her emotions swell up inside of her, "Thank you" she bowed, "this really means a lot!"

She turned to look at Tori, who was listening to music on headphones and lying down. It was still early in the morning and Tori liked to lay in bed, listening to music, while staring out the window until it was time for therapy.

Right outside the window you can see a garden with path a few feet away that patients can be taken out to take a stroll. There was a bench a couple yards away, facing the building. No one ever sat there, though. As a matter of fact, very few patients walked through here. There wasn't much to see, just a couple trees and lampposts and the hospital wall. Most patients enjoyed staying and playing by the water fountain that was on the other side if the building.

"Unnie...." Ana called out to her, but she didn't move. Ana smiled awkwardly at the men, "Sorry...she hasn't changed much from when I wrote the email. She doesn't talk to anyone and doesn't like to be touched."

She walked over to the other side of the bed and knelt down, “Unnie…”She whispered. Tori blinked, startled that someone interrupted her daydream. She sat up and took the headphones off, looking around the room.

The group of men were standing at the foot of the bed, curiously watching Tori and Ana. Tori saw CNU first: he was standing closest to Ana by the window, wearing a grey sweatshirt and dark blue jeans with his hands folded in front of him. He was smiling shyly and, noticing her look at him, raised his hand “Hi Tori~”

Tori, not saying anything looked to Gongchan who was standing next to him with an arm wrapped around his shoulder. Gongchan was wearing a white long sleeve shirt with blue designs and black jeans. “oh-“ he saw Tori’s gaze meet his, he turned to the older members and asked, quietly, “She’s nuna (older sister), right?” He released CNU from his embrace and bowed, “Ahnyoung haseo, nuna” he said with a sweet smile.

Tori blinked, her eyebrows scrunched in a bit in confusion, and looked at Jinyoung who was standing next to him. He lightly tipped his head, “Hello. I’m Jinyoung,” He said with a shy smile, his hands tightly folded in front of him.

Tori stared at him for a bit. Her eyes squinted slightly as if trying to figure something out. The other boys started to make “ooohhh” sounds toward him, “She’s still looking at you, hyung~” Baro chimed in and Gongchan tugged his arm in excitement. Feeling awkward for being stared at, he rubbed his head again, “ah... really? What does that mean?”

Tori turned her head to look at Baro when he chimed in. He was leaning over Sandeul, wearing a black beanie. They both waved at her, “Ahnyeong~” they said happily.

“I’m Sandeul~”

“I’m Baro”

Ana couldn’t hold back her excitement. “She is usually afraid of new people. But she seems okay with you guys being here.” She turned to look down at Tori, “Unnie... do you know who they are? Do you recognize them from anywhere?”

“Does she understand anything they’re saying?” Their manager asked, curious that Ana spoke to her in Korean even though the girl sitting in the bed did not look Korean.

“ah.. yeah.” Ana said, trying to find the easiest way to explain, “She learned Korean in college and stayed in Korea for a couple years, so I’m pretty sure she understands what we’re saying. I also saw her trying to read B1A4’s lyrics last time.”

Ana took a step back toward the window, “Do you guys mind trying to talk to her?” gesturing to the chair next to the bed “I think… If she was able to recognize your songs, maybe it’ll help her a bit trying to interacting with you.”

They all nodded and agreed to spend some time with her one by one.