Chapter 9 (Part 1)

The Kiss Thief

"What's wrong?" said Mark.

"Nothing. I'm just tired." I said to him as I snuggled closer to him. Well as close as we can get in the car while he was driving.

We were on our way to school and the car ride was silent. I would usually talk to him about my plans for the day but today, I'm afraid to say anything to him. I'm afraid that I might feel too guilty and end up telling him about my disease.

We got to school and walked over to Sulli and the others at our usual spot.

"The couple who makes everyone sick has finally arrived to school." said Jackson.

"You're one to talk. You and Sulli are just as sickening with your baby talks." remarked Suzy.

"She got you." said Nichkhun.

Jackson took his cap off and put it back on after his hair to hide his embarassment.

We sat next to Jackson and Sulli and I noticed that Sulli was glaring at me. It was a sign that she wanted me to do what I had to do.

"What should we do today since we get out early?" asked Myungsik.

"I want all of you guys to go to the cafe as usual." said Mark.

"Why? Krystal's shift isn't until 5" said Tiffany.

"Yeah. But I have a surprise for everyone, that's why I need everyone to go there later." said Mark.

I had a feeling that whatever he had planned would be ruined today. Today is the day that I am finally going to end it with him.

"Awesome. Guys class starts in ten minutes and I really need to pee. So, Krys go with me to the restroom please."

I nodded my head and followed Sulli. But I knew that we weren't going to the restroom. We were going somewhere, where we can be alone and talk about my plan.

..........................................................................................................................................................................

"So, what's the update with your plans?" she asked.

"My dad bought me tickets for every day this week. He gave me the option of choosing when I want to leave."

"Let me guess, you decided to leave tomorrow."

I nodded my head in response to her question. Slowly, we both started to tear up.

"You are so mean. Why would you leave so early?"

"It's better to just get it over with. Here, take these letters. I wrote a letter for each one of you guys, well each couple and of course, Mark gets his own. Sulli, please promise me that you will take care fo him. Help him to open up his heart to other people, I want him to not forget how wonderful it feels to love. I don't want him to be so lonely."

"I promise Krys. But you have to promise me that you will live, that you will fight to the very end and that you will survive. Promise me that Krystal. Please promise me that."

"I promise Sulli."

We wiped our tears away and fixed ourselves so that it doesn't look like we cried and we made our way to class.

..........................................................................................................................................................................

We got to the cafe and I saw that my manager was standing by the door. She let everyone in except for me.

"Wait here Krystal. I'll tell you when you can come in." she said to me.

Mark wasn't with us, I guess he was busy finishing his surprise.

After 5 minutes, my manager came out again but this time she placed a red carpet in front of me.

"Come on in Krystal."

I walked in and I saw that the place was decorated by pictures from all the times that Mark and I were together. I looked at each of the photos and before I knew it, my tears were flowing out of my eyes. Not out of happiness but out of guilt. Each memory we had pushes me to tell him the truth but I contained myself. My disease might act up if I let my emotions take over.

I reached the end of the trail of memories and I saw my friends gathered around someone with smiles on their faces. They walked away and they revealed Mark kneeling on one knee.

I walked up to him and stopped when I was close enough.

"Jung Soojung. I want you to know that I cannot imagine living in a world without you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I want to spend every minute and every single day I have in this world with you. I want to be with you forever. So, today I want to ask you this question. Jung Soojung, will you marry me?"

That was it, my whole world collapsed at his question. I wanted to say yes to him. I wanted to tell him that I want to be with him forever too. But, I can't. I can't be with him. I have to do what is right.

"I'm sorry Mark. I can't marry you. I don't want to marry you."

With those words, I left the cafe and ran towards the parking lot of my place. I entered my car and drove off to a hotel near the airport. From my side view mirror, I could see Mark trying to run after me but Jackson, Nichkhun and Myungsik were holding him down.

..........................................................................................................................................................................

Author's POV

Mark collapsed on the side of the street and his friends quickly called an ambulance to take him to the hospital. While waiting for Mark to wake up in his room, Sulli decided that it was time for her to give the others Krystal's letters to them.

"Here guys. This is from Krystal. It explains why she left." said Sulli as she handed each couple their letter. She gave Jackson the letter that Krystal wrote for them.

Mandu and Chopsticks,

Where do I begin with you two? Sulli, you were the first friend I made in this school and I'm so thankful that you helped me survive my first day. Thank you for introducing me to the others. You guys complete my life. Jackson, you are lucky to have a caring girl like Sulli. Please take good care of her. Watch over Mark. I know that I caused him so much pain. Please hep him to keep himself together. He is lucky to have a friend like you. Jackson, I'm sorry for leaving him. But the real reason I left is because I'm dying and I don't want Mark to feel burdened. Please do not tell him about this. He must never find out about my disease. I wish the both of you happiness.

Krystal

Jackson folded the letter when he finished and hugged Sulli tightly. His embrace made Sulli cry with all she had.

"You don't have to keep it to yourself anymore Ssul. Don't worry, Krys is strong. She'll survive and we'll make sure that Mark keeps on living his life." assured Jackson.