Chapter 8

The Kiss Thief

"Miss Jung. I'm glad that you came for your check up today. I have bad news to give you."

As I was walking down the street, I thought about what my doctor told me back in the clinic.

"I'm sorry to tell you that it started acting up again and it's worst than before. The only solution to it is to do the surgery. It's best for you to tell your parents as soon as possible, you really need this Miss Jung."

I couldn't believe the words that I heard from him. I never expected my disease to come back again. I didn't want it to come back, I'm already happy with the life I have. I don't want to leave the people I love. There is the surgery but if I do it then that means I'm putting my life on the line. Either way my life is just a game of chance.

i started to think about the people that I would be leaving if I don' survive. My parents, my friends and Mark. I thought about my promise to him and I started to cry. I promised him that we would go back to the hill for our wedding day and now I'm not even sure if I'll be able to live to see our wedding day.

I finally arrived at my apartment and I wiped my tears away as I felt a pair of arms back hug me.

"Where did you go? I've been waiting for you to come home." said Mark.

"I just went tot he mall to watch a movie." I explained to him. I'm not gunna tell him about my situation, he doesn't need to know.

He turned me around and looked at my face.

"Have you been crying? What happened?"  he asked.

"I watched a chick flick. The story really touched me so I cried." I lied.

"Is that really the only reason why you cried?"

I didn't want to explain anymore so I hugged him tightly to assure him that I was alright.

"Are you going somewhere?" I asked him to change the topic, while still hugging him.

"Yeah. I'm gunna go meet up with Jackson to play basketball with Nichkhun-hyung and Myungsik."

"Okay. You guys have fun."

After that, there was a moment of silence between us and I leaned my head on his chest.

"I love you." I said without thinking.

"I love you too." he replied as he kissed me on my head.

"You better go. I don't want you to make Jackson wait for so long."

"Jackson can wait. I just want us to stay like this for a few more minutes."

"No that's mean. We can do this again tomorrow." I told him as I pulled away.

"Fine. I'll go then." he replied with disappointment.

I kissed him on the cheek and turned around to open the door to my place when he turned me again and gave me a quick peck on my lips. I blushed as he walked away from me. I went inside and leaned my back against the door. That was when my tears started to fall out again.

I didn't wanna keep the pain to myself anymore so I took my phone and dialed my mom's number.

"Soojung-ah." she said as she answered the phone.

"Omma is Appa with you right now?" I asked. I wanted to tell them both at the same time.

"Yes. Let me put you in speaker phone. We're just watching tv in the bedroom right now."

"Omma, Appa. Please don't freak out when I tell you this. First of all, I want you guys to know that I love you very very much and I am very grateful to have parents like you. I hope that you guys won't be so shocked about this news because this was expected to happen since the day I was born. My cardiomyopathy started acting up again and the doctor said it's worst than before. The only chance I have of surviving is the heart transplant."

There was silence on the other line and I heard the ticking of the clock from their bedroom.

"Omma. Appa." I said to break the silence.

After a while, I heard my mother sobbing.

"You're coming back to America. Settle things there first, I'm gunna contact your sister and we will all be here for you. Soojung-ah please take care of yourself. We'll get you a flight back after 2 weeks." said my father.

I was speechless myself, I did not want to leave my friends and Mark. I just started with Mark and I don't want it to end, I don't even want to think about us ending. I have a promise to keep.

"Jung Soojung."

My thoughts were interrupted by my father's voice.

"De Appa?" I replied.

"Start packing up your stuff. I will call your school to let them know that you are transferring. Do not let anyone else know the real reason why you are leaving. It's better if it stays in our family." explained my father.

"De Appa. I'll see you guys in two weeks."

I hung up the phone and sat on my bed thinking about the time I had left in Korea. I need to make the most out of the two weeks I had left. I have to think of a way to end it with Mark. One of them has to know, I have to tell one fo them so that I can have some strength to break up with Mark.

I took my phone and called the first person I could think of when things like these happen.

"Hello, Ssul? We have to talk."

Sulli was the only person I could tell my real condition to. As much as I wanted the others to know, I couldn't tell them because if they all find out then there's a chance that Mark would find out and I don't want to burden him.

"About what? Are you ok?" she asked from the other line.

"Is it ok if you sleepover here at my place tonight?" I asked her.

"Of course! I'll be there right away." said Sulli as she ended the call.

I waited for about 10 minutes until the doorbell rang. I opened the door and saw Sulli, I started to cry at the sight of her.

"What happened Krystal?" she asked with a worried look on her face.

I told her to go inside my place first because I was scared that Mark would see us in the hallway.

"Ssul, I'm a horrible person. I promised Mark that I would marry him one day but I can't do it. My heart won't let me do it."

"What do you mean? You love Mark right? What is stopping you?" asked Sulli.

"Ssul, God knows how much I love him. But fate us. I can't be the girl for Mark."

"Why not?"

"Sulli, I have cardiomyopathy. I don't know how much more time I have to live. I'm going back to America to get surgery. I'm only telling you because I need your help in breaking up with Mark. Ssul, please promise me that you won't tell any of our friends, especially Mark. It's better this way. I don't want you guys to live with a burden."

Sulli didn't reply to me, I waited for her to process the information.

"No Soojung. You have to tell him. Out of all of us, Mark is the one who deserves to know about your situation. I won't let you just leave him without him knowing about your condition. I can't let you do that." replied Sulli.

She was right but I could live with him hating me because I left him than him being worried about me all the time because of my condition.

"Sulli please! I beg you! Please don't tell him. I can't live with him knowing about my condition."

When I saw that she wasn't saying anything I held her hands and went on my knees.

"Please Sulli!" I said, my face covered in my tears.

"Ok. Ok. I won't say anything. Just stand up and don't you dare beg on your knees to me again. You're my friend, I don't want you doing this to me. Come here." she said as she helped me stand up and pulled me into a hug.

"Thank you Sulli. For everything."

"This isn't fair Krystal. How could you come into our lives, make us love you so much and then leave us right away."

I felt her crying. Though it was a short amount of time, I was able to find friendship in Sulli and the others. And it breaks my heart that I have to say good bye to them. I'm not even sure if the farewell is temporary or forever.

"I'm sorry Sulli."

"It's okay Krys. It's not your fault. So, how are you gonna deal with Mark?" she asked.

 

A/N: Hello everyone!! I'm finally back from my Oshkosh trip and like I said, I am now focused on finishing this story. Kisses! xoxo❤❤❤