Epilogue

Will you be my coffee pot?

*This is my gift for you, hope you enjoy this as much as I do. For those of you that stays with me up until now, you know you have my heart. You were the reason that I got motivated to continue this. So this is all for you, all of you :) Thank you for reading :)

* Timespan in this chapter : Several years after the spilled coffee incident, and exactly 10 years after they met each other for the first time. 

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

"But Daaaaaad, why?"

"Hy, not again please? It's too early for this."

"Dad, I am not going alone, I'll take Soojung with me and our driver - Mr. Wang will also come with us. You don't have to worry."

"Haneul, listen, you're only 12 and your baby sis is barely 5 years old. There's no way I am allowing you all to go to the parade"

 

 

*

 

Haneul had been furious and extremely excited to go to this gay parade near their apartment in New York. He has been talking about this in these past two weeks. He talked to Seunghyun about costumes, and Seunghyun - being a dork that he is, said to his first born that Sailor Moon might be nice. And Haneul just frowned cos he was thinking to come and show up as Darth Vater. 

It's not like Jiyong hate the parade, he's just worried about the kids. What if happens? What if police will do something dirty? What if there'll be shooting? It's about the kids's safety and the fact that they're just barely 10 -  really not helping.

"What's the fuss, my loves?"

Seunghyun came to the kitchen while carrying a still-sleeping Soojung in his arms.

"Papa, please I really wanna go."

And Seunghyun smiles. Here we go again, he thought.

"Hy, I'll talk to your father about it, okay? Just go back to sleep will you?"

And then there are tiny arms engulfing his legs. He heard Haneul murmurs "Thank you papa." before he walked back to his room.

Seunghyun clears his throat.

"Morning, babe."

"Morning, your self. Breakfast first. Let me carry her, so you can eat."

"Jiyong, we're eating together. She's fine in here you see?"

Seunghyun kissed this stressful Jiyong's forehead and dragged him to sit for breakfast. Soojung is still sleeping curled up in his chest, despite everything.

Turns out Jiyong already made pancakes and there's a plate of peanut butter pancake (for Hy of course) and another plate with chocolate cream (for Seunghyun). 

He would never trade this very domestic life with any other, Seunghyun thought. He has his daughter in his arms and now he's having breakfast with the love of his life in this lazy saturday morning.

"Did she cried earlier?"

"She did but then I gave her a bottle of water to drink. After that she drives back to sleep."

"Okay. Want me to reheat your black coffee?"

"No, it's okay. Hmm, Do you want to talk about Hy?"

"Later, kay? I am just really confused right now."

"Okay. Let's eat first."

 

 

*

Seunghyun talked carefully, afraid that Jiyong might snap at him any second.

"I think it's okay to allow Haneul and Soojung to go there tomorrow. Since it's sunday so they don't have school either."

"Seunghyun, NYC pride is a big event. And they are just kids. Even if Mr. Wang go together with them, it's gonna be crowded and what if happen? What if there'll be fight between them and the police or with the locals? I can't risk it."

"Me neither, Jiyong. What I was saying was to give them a chance to experience it. To learn, to make friends, and to stand up for what's right."

"I am afraid, Seunghyun. What if things get worse? You wouldn't even want to know what scenarious that my head had been playing for me."

"Jiyong, we'll come with them, if you want to? It'll be okay, I'll cary Soojung and you'll be hand in hand with Hy? How's that sounds?"

 

 

 

"Daddies, sorry to interrupt but my whole class is going tomorrow. And I was just thinking that they'll bully me for being such a coward, for not being brave enough to show up to the parade by my self?"

 

Parenting and their sparks, Jiyong thought.

 

"Hy, you know that you are the exact opposite of coward, don't you?"

"Yes. Papa. But what should I do? I really wanna go."

"Soojung also want to go, papa."

"I know baby girl, just let me talk with your dad here and then we'll let you know, okay?"

"Okay."

"Hy, go play with Soojung."

"Okay, dad. Just make sure don't take too long please!"

 

 

Seunghyun chuckles.

Hy takes after Jiyong so much, especially the nagging.

"Babe, this is a serious matter, why are you even smiling?"

"Ups, sorry. So that's my suggestion. If you can't let them go alone, we'll go with them. What do you think?"

"I am not sure." "Should we wear family costumes? Hy wanted to be a darth vader didn't he?" 

"Are you not sure about going or are you not sure about our fashion?" 

"Seunghyun, please."

"I'll let the kids know, just go think about our costumes, okay?"

 

 

 

*

 

 

"So your dad and I've been talking and you guys are allowed to go, only under one condition, we're going with you."

"Papa.."

"Hy, are you going or not?"

"We should go, right oppa? It'll be nice since papa and dad will be with us! We could show up and dress in similar clothes!"

"Seems like Soojung is in, right baby?"

"Yeees, papa."

"Haneul, c'mon."

"Okay, let us all go together, but papa please I wanna be a darth vader and earlier Soojung said that she wanna be a Sailor Moon."

"Roger to that. Let us go inside and make our costumes with dad."

 

 

 

 

*

 

NYC pride was thriling. And the kids were so high they end up napping during their ride on the way home. It was such a nice experience for the family. Jiyong and Seunghyun met a lot of parents and share parenting struggles with them. Haneul and Soojung seems to enjoy the parade a lot, they danced and sang along with the crowd. It was nice to experience this event, the fact that all people from New York come to march together as one is so mesmerizing.

 

 

It was such an unforgettable moment for Jiyong himself, to march and walked together with his family. Family. The word that made Jiyong's inside warm. Seeing Seunghyun carrying Soojung in his chest and having Hy in his arms - maybe this is what people called as blessing, Jiyong thought.

 

 

 

 

"You look ridiculous."

"And so you are ."

"But why are you a Tuxedo Kamen carrying a backpack instead of a red rose?"

"Jiyong, I am gonna be Soojung's first date, okay? And I don't carry rose cos what she need is food and baby care that I packed in my backpack here instead of red colored petals that have blade."

"You and your words, Seunghyun. I swear you'd make a great politician if you want."

"That's why I am a coloumn writer right Jiyong? Your favourite writer."

"A self-proclaimed I see. In case you forgot, Neruda is the love of my life and I still love reading him. - I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where."

" I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, 
in secret, between the shadow and the soul."

Seunghyun recites the poem back and there was arms surrounding him in a hug. Then he heard it, "I am so glad it's you Jiyong. So glad that you are my husband and the father to my kids. I love you."

"Seunghyun."

"Please know that we will always got each other back, right Jiyong?"

"I love you too baby. Why are you even crying?"

 

 

"As much as I love you, but I must tell you this. The coffee here - that you made me, what did you use in here? Sorry but it taste horrible."

"What? I used caramel. It suppossed to be a hot caramel macchiato."

"Taste it yourself, dearest Jiyong."

 

 

"I am so sorry Seunghyun. This was stupid."

And they end up laughing cos Jiyong used salt instead of white sugar while cooking his caramel. But Seunghyun forgives him anyway. They end up calling Starbucks delivery.

 

 

"Sitting in this bench sipping coffee, makes me realized how lucky I am."

"And so am I. I am thankful to have you in my arms - and also thankful for Starbucks's macchiato, this is the best."

 

Just when Seunghyun about to kiss Jiyong, he heard the kids running outside to the playground. So he settled with a light peck on Jiyong's lips instead and they continue sipping their cups.

"Dad, we want it too!!!"

"Papa, pretty please!"

"Okay open up your hands, young lady and gentleman."

"Thank you daddies." Soojung said softly while kissing Jiyong's left and right's cheek respectfully. And then she sat on Jiyong's left while munching croissant.

"Thank you papa."

"You're welcome Hy. Come here sit next to me."

 

 

 

It's never the food, nor the place.

They said. 

It's about the moments.

It's about whom you spent it together with.

And for Jiyong.

This is enough.

 

 

 

Happiness is when he had his daughter in his arms, his son between him and his husbands next to him.

Happiness is spending time together with his family.

Happiness is sipping coffee and eating croissant in the playground of their homes.

Happiness is Seunghyun alongside with Soojung and Haneul.

Also one thing he's sure of that, Hapiness stars with meeting Seunghyun.

 

 

 

*

 

Seunghyun was so overwhelmed over the fact that the 4 of them will go as a family. Him as Soojung's date. And Jiyong dressed as Kylo Ren with a red light saber to accompany Hy.

He never imagine life would be this perfect. And he is happy that he got Jiyong in his arms, and that they'll walk together thru the thick and thin. Sometimes he wonders what made the universe let him meeting up with Jiyong that time in the coffee shop? He might never know how it works but he was convinced that he would never let Jiyong go - ever again.

 

 

 

*

They put the kids to bed afterwards. It was such a nice but happy day. They sprawling in the bed side by side, fingers collides. It was easy to be like this. To have someone to love and to hold. 

 

 

"Jiyong, are you sleeping already?"

"Not yet, just closing my eyes. Why love?"

"Okay. No, nothing. I was just really happy today."

"Me too, Seunghyun. Thanks for suggesting us going together with the kids. I wonder whether they'll get tired tomorrow. Want to check up on them now?"

"Sure, let us go to their room."

 

 

 

Soojung was hugging her teddy bear and on the right bed there was Hy - Sleeping on his stomach. Really a Seunghyun style. Jiyong wonders how much they resembles each other and hoping that Haneul would grow and become a gentleman and kind person just like his dad.

 

"The kids are okay."

"Yeah."

"Let us go back to bed, okay?"

"Okay."

 

 

Sleeping with Seunghyun always put Jiyong at ease. Just like tonight and each night that ever since their marriage. The demons are long gone forgotten, thankfully. But other times when it strikes and caused Jiyong to get really panic and stress. Seunghyun was there to kiss and hug him. He made him hot tea and said things like "I got you, I am here." - by that Jiyong starts to calm down afterwards.

His mom also welcomed Seunghyun very dearly. Especially after the birth of their kids. Sometimes mom would cook and bring Seunghyun's favourite kimchi soup and red bean bread just because - "it's for my dearest son." She'll said. Ridiculous, Jiyong thought. He sometimes verdicted that his mom loves her son in law better than himself. But he ain't having it any other way. Having parent to support their marriage, having a decent job in Elle Magazine, having a lovely family. 

One think that Jiyong learnt the most about life is that - as cheesy as it sounds. "It gets worse before it gets even better." and "What's mean to be will always find it's way."

 

 

*

 

 

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close.

- Pablo Neruda

 

 

 

 

 

P.s : That's it. I never thought that I could finished this. If it's not because of your comments, this will stays abandoned. Thanks to you.

P.p.s : Yes. They tied the knots and have Haneul and Soojung. I am in love with them already. 

P.p.p.s : Have a great weekend everyone! Hope you enjoy this as much as I do.