Ch. 6

What If?

Krystal’s POV

 

What the hell? I come in to say sorry about being so aggressive and here Jessica is trying to come to New York with me. The whole point of going was so I could be away from her.

 

“I love you in a way that’s not normal that’s why I need to leave. And by leave I mean leave without you, my sister whom I am in love with.”

 

“Cut me some slack I was shocked when I figured it out I never even dreamed that you would ever feel the same way I did.” Whoa, wait a minute she just said she felt the same way.

 

“You feel the same way?” before she said anything I cut her off. “Never mind that what did you mean by ‘Whatever happens in New York stays between us’?”

 

“It means exactly what I said. We will go to New York as nothing more than two people who are going on vacation together. The moment we get off the plane we will no longer be sisters.” How could she sound so confident about this?

 

“So, what you want us to go on vacation and pretend that we aren’t related?” I asked in disbelief. “Do you even hear yourself right now? How ridiculous this sounds?”

 

“I know that what I’m suggesting is morally wrong and that we may just end up getting our heart broken but I still want to give this a shot.” She was so damn insistent. This was the perfect opportunity for us to be together, but it would only be for a month. It would be a lie to say I wasn’t terrified; there was no guarantee that this would even work.

 

“Have you even taken into consideration how this would affect me?” I ask her, even though I already know the answer.

 

“Well not really,” I rolled my eyes as the words leave .

 

“Exactly you didn’t think. We’ll get the chance to truly be together then after a month you’re going to leave me for you fiancé.”

 

“Soojung,” She grabbed me by the shoulders. “Look at me we can do this.”

 

“No we can’t!” I shouted stepping away from her.

 

Taking a step forward she grabbed my face pressing her lips against mine; it took me a moment but I responded to her kiss eagerly. Her fingers tangled themselves in my hair as she pulled me closer. Her soft lips caressed my own as I wrapped my arms around her waist. But all to quickly it was over. I whimpered at the loss of contact and my heart grew heavy. It was like a fleeting glimpse of something I could never have.

“Soojung please?” Jessica’s eyes were sincere, begging me to take her with me. “I love you.”

 

My heart nearly stopped at the sound of her words. Sure she’d told me she loved me millions of times before but this was different. She was no longer telling me she loved me as a sister. Now she was telling me that she loved me as someone she was romantically interested in.

 

“Soojung ah, we can make this work I promise,” But she looked so serious, so full of determination. There was no doubt in my mind that she didn’t just want this she needed this. And I did to, but I don’t want to lose her. If this turned out badly I don’t know if I’d survive.

 

is a taboo everything about it is wrong, so why am I so hopelessly in love with my sister? I couldn’t help it ever since I was younger I knew something was wrong with me but I had no idea that it ran in the family. Never in a million years did I imagine that my sister felt the same way as I did.

 

This was my chance to be happy, Jessica and I alone in New York without constantly thinking about the fact we’re related. Everything about the idea seemed perfect, all except for the part where it all comes to an end and I end up alone watching her get married to someone else.

 

“Okay one month that’s it,” I decided that one month of happiness was better than an eternity of misery. Jessica broke out in a huge smile enveloping me in a hug. Wrapping my arms around her I buried my face in the crook of her neck.

 

“Were going to be okay aren’t we?” I mumbled. I felt her tense briefly before bring her hand up to my hair.

 

“I don’t know,” she admitted giving me a kiss on the forehead. “But for now let’s just look forward to getting away for a while,”

 

“I love you Sooyeon”

 

“I love you too Soojung,”

 

Jessica’s POV

 

As I held her in my arms I hope that once this month came to an end Krystal would be able to find happiness with someone else. I need to be like this with her if only for a little while. I love her with all my heart but I also need to set her free so she can live her own life and find true happiness.

 

Staying like this with me will only tear her down, it would subject her to an unsuitable lifestyle full of ridicule and judgment. That is no way to live and as her older sister I must protect her from such cruelties.

 

My hope is that by the time I leave New York she will have found someone else that she loves more than me and that she can actually be with. 

Her happiness is all that matters and she could never be happy with me, not really.