Chapter 57

Cinderella

Nara turns pale the moment work ends as she sees a note scribbled on a piece of paper with a familiar handwriting.

‘The coffee truck’s outside.  Ask everybody to have some.  Enjoy, love.  See you tonight,’

She tucks the note into her pocket and announces.  “Everybody, let’s have some coffee,”

The crew rushes outside and thanks her for the truck.  She catches Haerin and pays her regards to the director before slipping away for the dinner appointment at Haerin’s part time with Kyungsoo.  He took care of the truck for her so that all she had to do was pay.  

“You have such a practical boyfriend,” Haerin sighs contentedly in the van.

“Boyfriend-ish, Haerin, -ish,” Nara emphasizes.  “Hey, we make up for each other.  Look at you and Kai,”

“Yeah, you’ve got a point,” Haerin shrugs.  “Anyways, I’ve got a lot of dresses at work so we’ll get you dressed there.  And fix you up a little bit.  You’re too dolled up,”

 

The moment the two arrives at Haerin’s work place, they rush over to her changing room and get Nara tidied up.  Even so, Nara had lost her smile ever since they took off from her shooting site.  She had been breaking out in cold sweat ever since, too.  She couldn’t stand the thought of breaking things down to Kyungsoo.  She couldn’t stand the image of his expression she has in her head.  She couldn’t stand being herself.

“How do I start?” Nara asks quietly.

“With the fact that you love him,” Haerin grunts as she zips Nara up.

“Seriously?”

“Yes, if you really want him to understand,”

“Will he?”

“He will,”

“Ugh,” Nara clutches at her stomach.  “I’m feeling so queasy I’d puke in his face,” She whimpers.

“Ew,” Haerin shoves her shoulder.

 

Pondering over a thought, Nara speaks out after a while.  “Hey Hae?”

“Yeah?”

“Is it okay if I talk to Kyungsoo at home instead of here?”

Haerin pauses.  “Will you be okay?”

“I guess so,” Nara shrugs.  “I think I need a little privacy.  And comfort,” She slumps, giving up any sort of reasoning she’s been trying to make to avoid telling Kyungsoo anything.  She has to.

“Well, okay, I’ll work till around 9, 10, and go back after I text you, okay?”

“Yeah,” Nara smiles at her and walks out to the dining floor, tapping Kyungsoo on the shoulder.  “Hey, Soo?”

He looks up at her and smiles brightly.  “Hi,” He stands and walks over to her side of the table to pull out her chair for her. 

“Actually,” Nara walks over to him and pushes her chair back in.  “Why don’t we talk at home?”

“Oh,” Kyungsoo frowns, confused.  “If that’s what you want, okay.  Have you told Haerin and Kai?”

“Yeah,” Nara rubs her bare arms.

“Okay, let’s go,” Kyungsoo swiftly peels off his blazer and drapes it across her shoulders, guiding her down the building and out the doors by the hand before calling his car by the valet. Nara’s little heart cringes at his gesture.  At his attention, at his affection and compassion for her.

 

“Is what you’re gonna say something I’d probably not handle well, Nara?” Kyungsoo asks quietly in the elevator up to Haerin’s apartment as they arrive.

Nara winces at the proximity of his question and squeezes his hand tightly.  “Can you believe in me, Soo?”

Kyungsoo meets her eyes and gives her a little nod, without even the slightest thought.  “Yeah,”

“Whatever it is I do?”

“Yeah,”

“Will you promise me that you’ll be by my side?”

Kyungsoo presses the code for Haerin’s apartment and gives Nara another nod.  “Yeah,”

 

Just as the door swings open, Nara kisses him full on the mouth, fighting against all his efforts to stop her, all the while pushing him down onto Haerin’s couch, falling on top of him with a muffled thump.  Kyungsoo grunts quietly and tries to hold her back by her shoulders, frowning in confusion even as he is kissing back.  “N-Nara,” He tries to speak in between her vigorous kisses, still shocked by her gesture.

Nara shakes her head and leans in again, pushing her tongue into his mouth to keep him from talking.  “I’m seeing someone,” She sobs.  Her hand fumbles for his manhood from outside his pants, without taking her lips off of him, and Kyungsoo growls in surprise.

“H-hey,” He turns away from only to let out a quiet moan when she kisses his jawline and s his blouse to shower his collarbone with more kisses.

“I can’t leave him, because he reminds me of myself.  The me from the past,” Nara holds both of his hands by the sides of his head when he tries to push her away, and starts kissing down his torso, still sobbing.  “I can’t afford to ruin another person’s life.  I-I don’t know what to do,” She stops just above his waist line, giving him another kiss before breaking down completely.  “I love you so much, Soo, I’m sorry,” She sits up finally, straddling him and covering her face with her hands.

“Nara, love,” Kyungsoo sits up and gently pulls her into his arms.  “Nara, sweetheart, hey,” He tries to shush her cries, her sobs of guilt and pain.  

“I c-couldn’t tell you,” Nara says behind her hands.  “It’s been months since it began, I’m sorry, I love you, Kyungsoo, very much.  Please don’t go.  Don’t walk out on me.  Don’t-don’t leave me,”

 

Kyungsoo breathes deeply, mostly to calm his building arousal, and partly to soothe his mind from the shock of Nara’s news.  Something was off ever since a couple of months ago, he noticed.  Nara was distracted whenever she was with him.  She spaced out a lot and she gets tired a lot.  He thought it was work, but she was a woman with plenty of vigor and energy. 

Now he knows.

Now he finds out.

She was sleeping with some other man.

He was shocked and he wasn’t okay with it, to be honest.  But Nara is a broken glass.  She’s shattered all over the place.  Helping this other man might be her way back to clarity.  To the calm of her own mind and heart when she finds out that she can help someone else live.

“Nara, I love you, no matter what.  I waited 3 years, right?” Kyungsoo speaks quietly to her ear as her sobs die down.  He notices her subtle nod.  “You know I can’t be mad at you.  You know I can’t stop you from doing anything and you know I don’t want to.  I know that you always do things for a perfectly reasonable purpose.  And as much as I hate sharing, I love you and so long as you don’t leave me, I’ll do the same,”

Nara had dropped her hand along his sentence and had hugged him back, hiding her face from him.

 

Kyungsoo rubs her back and kisses her hair.

“I’m staying, so, do what you think is right, love,”