Chapter 35

Cinderella

Kai grunts as he fixes Haerin’s position on his back, punching the key codes to her apartment.  Yunjae had given it to him when he asked about it, before telling him that he was out for part-time and wouldn’t be home until late at night.  

‘Is everything okay?’ Yunjae had asked him and Kai answered, ‘No, but she’ll explain it to you soon enough,’

 

“Idiot, Kyungsoo is an idiooooot,” Haerin mumbles by Kai’s ear as he sets her down on her couch.  

“Noona,” He nudges her shoulder.  “Noona, wake up, go sleep in your room,”

Grunting an incoherent response, Haerin simply snuggles her face into one of the pillows within her arm’s reach and stays where she is.

“Could it be that that was the first time you drank alcohol?” Kai asks and even without hearing Haerin’s answer, he knew it was a yes.  He chuckles to himself.  “Who’s the idiot here, huh?”

As he watches her sleep, his mind reels back to what happened in the karaoke room.  He shuddered at the possibilities that popped into his head if he hadn’t held himself back and took advantage of her like any man would.  It was a good thing he was the one in that room with her.  Pushing those scenarios deep down, way down the deepest depths of his mind, he focuses on other things.  Haerin was a total keeper.  She was pretty, she was a good sister, a good cook, a great singer, she’s smart, and even he has to admit; she’s got just the right curves.  And her personality.  Ever since they started dating, Kai had never stopped wondering why Kyungsoo had asked for more.  She was a girl- no, a woman, who listened well, who spoke with her heart, who understood with her mind and cared with her soul.  She may be unable to show her affections in a particular sort of way, but she was making up for the loss with other ways.  “Man,” Kai sighs, getting comfortable on the single couch as he crosses his arms.  “I would never have the heart to hurt you,”

And with that, he settles with watching her sleep, until Yunjae comes home.

 

‘Hyung, is she okay?’ Yunjae asks him from a piece of paper.

“She’s fine, just needs some rest,” Kai nods, ruffling Yunjae’s head.  “When she wakes up tomorrow morning, tell her to meet me at the amusement park at 11 o’clock, sharp, or else I’d tell everybody about what happened in the karaoke room,” He grins.

Yunjae frowns.  ’Karaoke room? What happened?’

“Oh, Son Yunjae, you don’t want to know,” With a wave, Kai leaves the house.

 

***

 

“I am never drinking alcohol in my entire life ever again,” Haerin groans in the morning as she wakes up.

As much as she wanted to keep forgetting, the events of her breakup comes rushing in a fresh wave into her head along with every gulp of the water she’s drinking.  The alcohol did make her forget everything for the time being, last night, but it returns in the morning, along with the pounding of a headache.  “Ugh,” She slumps onto the dining table and shuts her eyes tightly, mentally taming her headache.  “I didn’t even drink that much.  It was a shot, a single damned shot,”

Haerin jumps when the table rattles and looks up to meet Yunjae’s angry eyes.  ‘You got drunk?!’ He gestures.

“Hey, sooner or later, I have got to try alcohol, Yunjae,” Haerin says defensively, but quickly falters under Yunjae’s hard gaze.  “No- yeah, I did, I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t, knowing what experience we have with our uncle and alcohol, but there was no other way,”

Yunjae eyes his sister silently.  As long as she knows what she did wrong.  He sighs.  ’No other way to what?’

“To make me forget that I broke up with Kyungsoo,”

‘You what?!’ Yunjae gapes at his sister.  ‘Are you serious?’

“I got drunk over it, Yunjae, why would I be lying about it?”

‘What happened?’

“Well you know that lady at the end of the hall?”

‘Yeah, why?’

“Turns out, she’s the one who broke Kyungsoo’s heart a few years back and made him the way he is now, all insecure about love.  And he claimed- no, he admitted to my face that he still had feelings for her, and he realised that when he saw her yesterday night.  I mean, the hell is up with that? Doesn’t that mean that all the times we were together, he’s just using me to his own advantage, although unconsciously? To help him learn how to love, so he could prepare himself for that woman whenever it is she decides to come back into his life? Then what did those kisses mean? Did he actually mean all the things he had said?” Haerin messes up her own hair when she starts getting melancholy instead of angry.  She still couldn’t understand how he could have feelings for her when he knows that she’s such a bad person.  “Whatever! So anyways, he broke up with me because he didn’t want to hurt me,” Haerin sighs with finality at her own explanation.  “Well it’s too late, jack , I’m hurt already,”

Yunjae reaches out to squeeze his sister’s hand in sympathy and comfort.

“I’m fine, I’ll be fine,” Haerin flashes him a smile.  “Speaking of which, did someone bring me home, last night? Because the last thing I remembered, I was singing my head off in that karaoke place,”

‘Oh!’ Yunjae remembers what Kai had told him to do.  ‘That was Kai-hyung.  He told me to tell you that he’s waiting for you at the amusement park at 11 o’clock today, and if you don’t come, he’s going to tell everybody about what happened in the karaoke room,’

“What happened in the karaoke room?” Haerin asks, without missing a beat.  If Kyungsoo turns into a child when he’s drunk, what does she turn to?

 

Yunjae shrugs.  ‘Beats me.  He said it’s something I don’t even want to know,’ He leers at Haerin, who gapes in surprise.  ‘It’s 10, right now, for your information, so you better get your changed,’

Haerin laughs at Yunjae’s sudden flexibility with words as she walks into the bathroom to wash up.  “Too much hanging out with the boys! Mind your words, Son Yunjae!”

The amusement park is such a weird place to tell her a secret, Haerin thinks.  What’s Kai thinking?