Chapter 30

Cinderella

Haerin bumps into a guy on the way out of the elevator and fell onto her painfully before he reached out to help her.

 

“Haerin, I’m sorry!”

She looks up to see that it’s Doojoon, his red hat placed backwards on his head and his glasses perched on his nose.  He was out of that suit and was now clad in a white shirt and jeans shorts.

Taking his hand, she grunts as she stands up and grins at him.  “It’s fine, oppa.  You’re done with work?”

He lifts his hat and smooths his hair back before putting it on again.  “Yup, got off early,” Doojoon pauses and glances behind Haerin.  “Your friends?”

“Ah, yeah,” Haerin nods.  “They’re visiting, since I just moved,”

“Aw, man.  I was planning to ask you out for dinner, for some, you know, quality-neighbour time,” The older male grins.  “I’m also sorta new,” He adds.  “I just got here, like, three months ago and everybody had their friends already, so I’m all alone, and I was kind of hoping you’d be my friend,”

Haerin laughs and takes out her phone.  “I’ll give you my number and we’ll get some food some other time for sure,” She looks over her shoulder.  “Why are you guys staring?” She eyes the kids and jerks her head towards the door to her apartment.  “It’s rude.  Get inside,”

They walk by Haerin in a line, dipping their heads politely towards Doojoon in a little bow while Doojoon gives them mock salutes and a cool “yo,”.  She catches their gaze lingering at Doojoon’s back and they glance at Kyungsoo, who was ushering them in.  

 

‘He can’t stand it,’ Baekhyun mouths towards Haerin from Doojoon’s back and earns a slap from Kyungsoo behind his head.

In hushed laughter, they run away from Haerin’s jealous boyfriend, who is making an I’m-keeping-my-eyes-on-you gesture towards Haerin.

Haerin lets out a laugh and Doojoon turns to look over his shoulder just as Kyungsoo’s head disappears behind her door.  “Boyfriend?” He asks.

With a nod, Haerin puts her phone back into her bag.  “Don’t worry, I can handle him,”

Doojoon laughs at her remark and waves his phone as he walks away.  “He doesn’t have to worry.  I have mine, too.  Girlfriend, that is.  I’m straight.  See you next time,”

With a light laugh and a wave, he enters the elevator and leaves the floor.

 

***

 

Haerin had to admit; jealous Kyungsoo was cute.  He was completely avoiding her the whole time everybody got together to cook dinner.  He managed to be on the other side of the kitchen, cutting vegetables, or poking his head in the fridge to look for ingredients.  He would turn his head the other way when Haerin passes by him and vice versa, but at the same time steal glances to see whether or not she was noticing the fact that he was ignoring her.  Throughout the whole dinner, he acted like she wasn’t even there.

She noticed; but she wanted to see him snap.

 

“Not gonna go talk to him?” Kai nudges Haerin by the elbow as he helps her with the dishes.

“Nah,” Haerin laughs when he does too.  “It’s much more fun this way,”

“Who was the charming man asking you out, though?” He lets out a lopsided smile, looking at Haerin from his peripheral vision.  “Tall and attractive; I could see why hyung felt intimidated,”

“A neighbour,” She shrugs in answer as she dries her hands.  “Who has a girlfriend,”

Kai chuckles at the way she added that particular fact and turns towards the study room, where everybody was, sharing a final look back at Haerin as he notices Kyungsoo leaving the very room.  “Well, he’s coming your way, good luck,”

“Don’t need it!” Haerin cranes her neck over Kyungsoo’s head to catch Kai winking at her right before closing the door.  

While her boyfriend makes her way towards her, she pretends not to notice and starts wiping the dining table.

“Don’t need what?” Kyungsoo sits down on one of the chairs.

Haerin looks up briefly and notices how he has his head turned towards the living room in such an obvious manner of not wanting to meet her eyes.  “Nothing,” She grins to herself, returning to busying herself with the table.  “Nothing at all,”

Kyungsoo pauses before replying.  “What was that for?”

“What was what for?”

“That- that smile! That smile you had just a second ago!”

Haerin had started laughing by then as she drops the cloth onto the table.  “What smile?”

“That smile! And that tone!”

“What tone, Kyungsoo?” Haerin says in between her series of laughter.  

“Just- see! Again! You used it again!”

“Wha- I’m not using any tone!”

“You’re raising the beginnings and the ends of your sentences! That’s a tone!” He throws his hands up into the air, exasperated.  “You know what- c’mere,” His hand shoots out to grab Haerin’s and he pulls her towards the living room, where it’s more spacious.

Haerin crosses her arms when Kyungsoo lets go, pressing her lips together to suppress a smile.  She waits and waits, and then finally leans forward.  “Well?”

Kyungsoo lets out a loud breath through his nose.  “Don’t you have anything to say to me?” He runs a frustrated hand through his hair.

“I thought you had something to say to me,” Haerin teases, trying to coax out what he had been holding back all night long.

Kyungsoo sends her a look and raises an eyebrow at her.  “Oh, do I?”

“I think you do,” Haerin nods.  “I think you do have something to confess,”

“Why don’t you elaborate?”

“Well, the fact that I got all friendly - friendly enough that he asked me out - with a neighbour, a tall neighbour with an attractive smile and way above average looks living right beside me, is making you jealous.  I think that’s what you’re concerned about, isn’t it?”

“What if I am?” Kyungsoo steps towards Haerin slowly, menacingly.

Haerin steps back, grinning until her cheeks hurt.  “You could’ve just said so,”

“Oh, yeah?” He swoops in to take her waist and lifts her up to his shoulders, spinning her around like a sack of potatoes while she shrieks in delighted surprise.  “You knew from the beginning, didn’t you?”

“Well- yeah!” Haerin couldn’t stop laughing, weakly hitting Kyungsoo’s back as she is hung upside down.  “You were so obvious; it was so cute,”

At the word, Kyungsoo drops her onto the single couch as he sets his hands on the armrest by her sides, closing in towards her face.  “You enjoyed that?”

Haerin’s hair was dishevelled, her face flushed.  She was coming down from her laughing fit and draws back from the close proximity of their faces as she realizes it.  “I guess?”

Kyungsoo smirks, eyes already trained on his girlfriend’s lips.  “Well, guess again,”

 

He leans in to kiss Haerin full on the mouth, not giving time for her to breathe when her hand reflexively reaches out to push him by the chest.  One of his hands stop hers while the other goes to rest by her head as he bites down at her lower lip, making her breath hitch in pain.  His tongue slips out to taste her and he stops her from pulling away in surprise as he takes back his tongue and leans the other way to kiss her again.  Kyungsoo’s hand had unconsciously dropped hers and was now making its way up her thigh, barely covered by her skirt uniform in a taunting, teasing pace, only leaving the ghost of a touch.

When he thinks he has had enough, he finally lets go of her head and returns his hands to the armrest, still looming over his completely flustered, blushing, significant other.  His gaze moves from her thighs, to her swollen lips and finally onto her eyes, glazed by the lack of air.  

“I don’t like sharing,” He smirks as he watches her blush all over again at his words.  “Keep this in mind whenever you want to try something funny,” He finally stands up straight and turns.  “Oh and-“ Quickly, he turns back around to lean very closely into her face (again), making sure that their lips brushed against each other as he spoke.  “Never, ever, call me cute again, okay?”

“Okay,” Haerin lets out a quiet whimper and a huge breath of relief when Kyungsoo finally stands up straight again.  She watches his back with an annoyed expression, irked that he could snuff her out so easily and flings a pillow at his head, running to save her own life when he chases her towards the study room, where everybody was, which is where he couldn’t do anything like he had did to her anymore.  

 

She catches his eyes as they joined everybody.  ’Don’t ever do that again,’ Haerin mouths.

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow suggestively and mouths back.  ‘The way I see it; you couldn’t get enough,’

“Okay!!” Haerin stands up abruptly.  “It’s late, it’s late, you guys have got to go! We’ve got school, I’ve got school, you guys have school, too, so, off you go!”

Everybody stares at Haerin like she went loco and only Kyungsoo finds the guts to snicker at her.  He stands up along with her and snakes an arm around her waist.  “Listen to mother, guys, she says we should go home,”

“Stop.  Being.  So.  Touchy!” Haerin hits his arm repeatedly and groans when he pulls her in closer, hugging her from behind and placing his chin on top of her head.

 

He stayed that way, forcing her to go where he goes until everybody leaves the place and he finally has to go, too.  “Ugh,” Haerin knocks her head with his.  “Grow up,” She unlatches his arms off of her waist and shakes her head as he rubs his painfully.  “Bye guys, thanks for coming, thanks for dinner,” She smiles at the others and share hugs, waving them goodbye.  “See you tomorrow,”

“Yunjae is really good at games,” Chanyeol acknowledges.  “I mean really, really good,”

“And I thought I was good,” Baekhyun sighs dejectedly.

Sehun laughs, patting Baekhyun’s back.  “The next time we come over, he should lose,”

“He has too, or I wouldn’t know what to do with my life anymore,” 

“We should come over again,” Kyungsoo casually puts an arm over Haerin’s shoulders.  “You guys go play your games while I get quality time with Ms. Owner of the House here,” He grins as he dodges another hit from Haerin.

“Avoid adultery, hyung,” Baekhyun cackles with Chanyeol and Kai.  “And-“

 

As his words stopped abruptly, Haerin notices how Baekhyun and all the others have their eyes glued onto something behind her.  “What are you guys- oh,” She clears when her end-of-the-corridor neighbour pops out of her apartment door, nightgown definitely not doing its job as an article of clothing, making out with a different male than the one Haerin had seen earlier in the day.  “Yes, that’s, who I was talking about,” She mutters.

But only then did she realise that Kyungsoo had taken his arm off of her and was completely focused on watching the scene unfolding before them.  She frowns at his behaviour, and all of the other’s, actually.  “Hey, I know we’re at the age where we’re very easily aroused, but-“

A loud smooch interrupts her sentence and the woman had turned to look at them, arms draped sloppily around her male’s neck.  She narrows her eyes and untangles her arms, daringly making her way towards Haerin and the boys.

 

“I though I recognised you,” She says, voice scratchy and sultry.  “And I guess I’m right,” Her messily smudged lips tilts into a smirk.  “Hey, guys,”

Haerin’s eyebrows dig deeper into her forehead and she inspects everybody’s expression, looking at them and at the woman back and forth.  She was talking to them, not her.  She knew the boys? Who was she?

“Noona,” Kai’s head tilts to the side slowly, gouging the woman standing before him with impassiveness.  “I see you haven’t changed,”

The woman shrugs and smirks at Kai.  “We es don’t change, Jongin, dear.  You said that yourself,”

“Don’t call me that,” Kai looks at her in disgust.  “Anyways, hey, guy over there,” Kai calls out.  “Don’t you know that you’re about to a minor?” He raises his voice and the man he was referring to squeaked in surprise.

“No way!”

“And your wallet is probably missing one or two of its cards,” Kai adds.

“You've always been such a buzzkill,” The woman sighs.  She turns her head towards her apartment door and lazily looks at the man whose eyes had widened owlishly.  Her hands tauntingly shake a credit card in the air, much to the man’s dismay.

“!” The man curses and rips the credit cards away from the woman’s hand, stomping towards the elevator.

 

“You haven’t changed either, Jongin,” She smiles at the way Kai bristles at the sound of his name.  “But, you’ve gotten taller and smexier,” Running her eyes through the boys behind Kai, it was as if she was undressing them with her eyes.  “Mm, mm,” She shakes her head in wonder before her eyes finally land on Kyungsoo, who was standing still, watching her, frozen.  “Hi, Kyungsoo,” She steps towards him, running a finger down his chest.  “Do you reme-“

 

“Don’t touch him,”

All of a sudden, Haerin had taken the woman’s wrist, pulling her away from Kyungsoo.  She holds the woman’s gaze and even though she knew nothing of who this woman was, it was enough of a reason for her to keep this inappropriate human being away from Kyungsoo when she sees him so shellshocked.

“New neighbour!” The woman pulls away from Haerin’s grip and smiles.  “We haven’t been properly introduced,” She winks.  “I’m Nara; your boyfriend’s first love,”

 

HOLY SH-

OMF

ARE U GUYS SURPRISED??????????????

 

 

ure probably not surprised arnt u

 

 

/sighs/

/SIGHS/

BUT YA KNOW

THINGS

ARE GONN GET

EXCITING

/CLAPS HANDS AND WAILS LIEK A PROUD SEAL/

 

look forward to ma updates!

luv ya guys!

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3