More than Friends at Eighteen I

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

N/A PLEASE READ MY AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END

 

 

Falling #5 Part I

 

        June 3, 2012

 

“Our honey is such a prude.” Chanyeol cooed as he my hair. I just whacked his hand away and pouted. The seven of us were lazily sitting around in Suho’s living room that hot summer day enjoying the air conditioning and fruits his mother had set out for us.

 

“You’re saying that as if it’s a bad thing,” Kyungsoo wrapped his arms protectively around me, “I refuse to let any boy near my precious baby. She mustn’t be tainted by gross boys.”

 

“Oh stop it. You guys do realize that you are boys too.” I said with a smile.

 

“We aren’t bad people!” Suho cried out in defense.

 

“I hope you know that you’re going to marry one of us,” Baekhyun said, “We’d be against anyone else.”

 

“Yeah,” Kai smirked, “Me.”

 

“Oh give it up already,” Sehun punched Kai weakly on the shoulder, “You’ve been saying that for years. She’s out of your league man.”

 

“Hey!” Kai whined, “That’s not true! Theres no one better suited for her.”

 

“You say that then date other girls.” Suho pointed out putting a piece of fruit into my mouth, “Such a player. I wouldn’t want you with my baby.”

 

“Guys, I’m right here.” I told them.

 

“YAH! You guys go on date just as often as I do,” Kai ignored me, “Actually I had a girlfriend for seven months while you idiots on the other hand haven’t, making me less of a player than you guys! I don’t even go on dates anymore and you guys know that!” (It was true, he hadn’t dated since then, I secretly celebrated inside every time he turned a girl down.)

 

The boys just dismissed his little outburst and went right back onto eating and watching TV. Suho and Baekhyun were sprawled out on one couch, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol on the other, Sehun on a reclining car, while Kai and I were on the floor. It was way too hot to go outside in the middle of the day so we opted for a movie.

 

Ever since that gloomy April day I hadn’t left Kai’s side. It was my turn to comfort and stay by his side. We went back to right where we left off, adventures after school, poking fun during class, walks on weekends, and tutoring sessions. It didn’t take as long as I thought it would for Kai to get over her, after a week or so he was back to his goofy smiling self, much to my relief.

 

People at school called us “the éventuelle couple”. The couple that is taking too long to get together but will be together eventually.  In their prospective it was quite odd for two attractive people, of the same age, to spend years together and not develop any romantic feelings. It made sense, I could see where they were coming from. Kai and I were always together and he was very protective about me. He made it quite clear that I was very much off limits to other males. (Some brave fools still tried to confess to me while he wasn’t around, of course they were turned down immediately).

 

I would be lying if I denied the fact that we did act like a couple, aside from kissing and all. Sometimes we would hold hands down the street or he would wrap his arm around my shoulder or give me his jacket without me asking.

 

“How long have you two been dating?” Strangers would always ask us. We would always laugh awkwardly and tell them we were just best friends. They would give us a confused look and continue on their way.

 

To tell you the truth, at this point I had come to realize that I did like Kai. No, not love, (yet) but I did like him very much.

 

I wasn’t stupid, I knew the signs of infatuation. I watched enough romcoms and read enough sappy romance novels. I knew of the rapid heartbeats, the butterflies in your stomach, the dilated

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter