Broken at Nineteen

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Heartbreak #6

July 26, 2014

 

“What happened to us?”  Kai whispered into my hair as we laid on the grass together on one of the rare occasions that we were together in person. For once the conversation of ‘adult’ responsibilities fell short to the much needed sound of rustling of leaves and chirping of birds. The familiar scent of grass filled my nose, comforting me. The light twinkle of the stars gleaming down onto our faces brought us back to the summer nights back in high school.

 

“Hmm?” I mumbled back as I breathed in his comforting musky scent, my head buried deep into his chest.

 

“You know what I mean.”

 

I knew exactly what he meant. I knew we weren’t the same bubbly couple we were half a year ago. For the first time in our lives we were more occupied in something other than each other. We were trying to build a future for ourselves and somewhere along the way we forgot to include each other in the picture. I suppose we took each other for granted. Always assuming we had the other to run to at the end of the day, but sometimes that is not enough.

 

“I do.” I replied numbly. I pulled myself a few inches away from him and propped myself onto my elbow, looking down on Kai. Reaching over, I gently brushed his bangs out of his eyes and sighed.

 

Kai folded his arms behind his head to support himself and closed his eyes.

 

“Are you happy?” He asked me.

 

Was I happy? No. I was baring the responsibility of making a name of out myself and making sure all the hard work my poor mother poured into my college fund worthwhile.  I was stressed out and beyond tired. I hardly saw my friends as often as I used to, and when we were together, the vibe was not the same. That friendly lighthearted atmosphere left as we slipped into adulthood.

 

“I am satisfied.” I told him reluctantly after much contemplation. I suppose I was satisfied. I was happy I was on the right track and I had not completely cut off contact with the people I care about the most. That was the up in all of it.

 

Kai nodded as he took in my answer, interpreting it as he wished.

 

“Are you happy?” I cautiously whispered, already knowing the answer.

 

“No.”

 

“I know.”

 

“I miss what we had,” Kai admitted, “A youthful and carefree love. The want, no need, to constantly see each other and the euphoria of being in love.” Kai opened his eyes and looked up at me, reaching and bringing my free hand up to his face as he leaned into my palm, “You were my world.”

 

“I know,” I repeated with a small smile, “You were mine.”

 

“The love of my life.” He elaborated.

 

“I’ve become second now, haven’t I?” I bit my lip, “I lost you to dance.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter