Impasse

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Neutrality #3

June 18, 2014

 

People say that there are seven stages to every relationship.

 

Stage One: The Meeting.

This is the first time you’ll meet, whether it was on good or bad terms, a new person has entered your life. A new profile to organize into your mind’s database. Will they stay in your life? That’s up to you. (And sometimes fate.)

 

Stage Two: The Chase.

 One person has found interest in the other, or if you’re lucky both of you are interested. And thus begins the chase, where you put out your best side and get to know the person, to see if you would be interested in furthering your relationship from strangers or acquaintances into friends or more. This is the start of the butterflies and awkwardness.

 

Stage Three: The Honeymoon.

Congrats! You’ve successfully got into a relationship with this person. This may be the best stage of the relationship. Everything is so fresh and new. You want to be with that other person as much as you can, you’re all lovey-dovey and the future looks bright. You can overlook their flaws and you only see the good in them.

 

Stage Four: The Comfort Zone.

You’ve been together for a while now. You know each other’s habits, likes, dislikes. The butterflies are gone and you begin to take advantage of your partner. You see them a little too often and they just become a routine. But don’t get me wrong, you still love them. But in most cases the passion and fire has died down. The need to impress your partner is gone; you know they will stay with you through thick and thin. If you’re lucky the fire is still there, or will be ignited again in the future.

 

Stage Five: The Tolerance.

It’s much like the comfort zone. Only the tension begins. Those old habits you once overlooked? They start to bother you. You begin stubbornly fighting, no more willingness to give into the other person. You don’t want to be with them all the time anymore, so you make excuses. You begin wanting to go out with your friends more, picking up shifts at work, suddenly finding yourself too busy for a movie due to an upcoming test you once didn’t bat an eye at.

 

Stage Six: The Downfall.

You’ve been together far too long to let this slip out of your hands. You once thought you would marry this person, didn’t you? Why did their presence suddenly begin to bother you? You’re arguing, spending more time with different people, not seeing eye to eye anymore. But this person has engraved themselves into your daily routine, you can’t give up yet. And so starts the half-hearted attempts to repair things. If you’re lucky you may bounce right back up to the comfort zone or honeymoon phase. If you’re not, you move onto the final stage.

 

Stage Seven: The Breakup.

 There’s nothing more to say. It’s better to end things now, find yourself, see other people. To put things simply: It’s not working out. Whether yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter