Eight

Cursed

Wonshik's P.O.V

   "Are you sure anyone's even home?" Hyuk asked while peering in a window.

   "I don't know...I suppose I could've called before we drove all the way here." I replied, knocking on the door a little harder.

   "Yeah that would've been smart." He sighed. We had been standing on Hakyeon's door step for ten minutes and it didn't look like anyone was home.

   Hakyeon's place was gorgeous. The property was surrounded by dark pine trees that hid the place from the highway. Two weeping willows covered the driveway with their long leafy branches that danced in the wind. The manor itself was placed in the center of a colorful garden of orchids and roses, a small, blue creek sliced through the thick green and flowed behind the tall building. It was a huge victorian style manor with large, slim front doors and windows to match. It looked like something you would find on the front page of a magazine or in fairytales.

   As I looked around at the beautiful greenery a dark lump on the ground caught my attention.

   "Um, what is that?" I asked pointing at it.

   "Hm? Oh, it kinda looks like a person..." Hyuk replied. We slowly walked over to the lump, What if it's a zombie...

   "Hey are you okay?" I called out, still several feet away...just in case. The lump moved a little to one side and I saw an eye glint in the fleeting sun light. Oh my god it totally is a zombie. Hyuk cautiously took a step forward and my hand immediately flew up to grasp his arm, stopping him from getting any closer to the thing.

   "What are you doing?" He asked trying to wiggle out of my hold.

   "Don't get close to it or it'll eat you!" I warned him frantically.

   "Don't be ridiculous. People don't just eat other people without cooking them first...not that I'm an expert or anything..." He looked from it  to me nervously.

   "Unless they're zombies!" I yelled. I let go of him and started waving my arms around, the way I did when I was especially nervous.

   "That's so stupid, there's no such thing as zom-" A low growl came from the figure as it started to lift itself off the ground. We watched as it staggered in our direction, too scared to do anything. It got closer and closer before-

   "Cha Hakyeon is that you?" Hyuk suddenly shouted at the figure, causing it to stop.

   "Hyukkie?" The thing I now recognized to be Hakyeon called out.

   "What in the world do you think you're doing, trying to scare us like that." He huffed going over to Hakyeon and smacking him over the head.

   "I wasn't trying to...at first. I think I passed out from heat exhaustion while I was pruning my roses and when I woke up I heard you two talking about zombies and well, I just couldn't resist." Hakyeon mumbled.

   "You two know each other?" I asked.

   "Yeah we're old friends." Hyuk explained.

   "Man I haven't seen you for years, you look so grown up now." Hakyeon laughed, hitting Hyuk's back gently.

   "Of course I look grown up I haven't seen you in, what thirty years?" Hyuk chuckled back.

   "Wait aren't you only like twenty?" I questioned.

   "Yeah, it's a...um...expression." Hyuk smiled.

   "I've never heard that one before." I stared at him.

   "Anyway, what brings you here Wonshik?" Hakyeon asked.

   "I had a few questions for you." I answered, still staring. Hakyeon nodded his head and started toward the house, we followed.

   The inside of the house was even more beautiful than the outside. A blue carpet layed on the polished marble floors, leading up the twin staircases to the second floor. A large sparkling crystal chandelier hung from the cieling, lit candles were scattered among the jewels. Tall archways cut through the stone walls giving a glimpse of the luxuriously decorated rooms beyond the foyer. Potted plants were placed all around the room, a mixture of flowers and ferns.

   He led us through the living room and the dining room to a small sitting room. The room was decorated with red velvet armchairs and matching curtains. A lit stone fireplace cast the room in a soft orange glow, giving the room a comfortable feeling. Hakyeon sat down and motioned for us to do the same. The chairs were unbelievably comfortable, it was like sitting on a cloud.

   "So...those questions..." Hakyeon started, bringing me out of my thoughts.

   "Oh...um...are you named after someone?" I questioned, watching him closely.

   "Nope, my mom used to brag to me ho she came up with my name all on her own," He chuckled. "why?"

   "Well the other day I was going through some documents about my house with a friend when I noticed something odd." I said.

   "Oh yeah? What was that?" He asked smiling.

   "Well as I was looking over the list of past owners of my house-" Hakyeon's left eye twitched, "I noticed that someone with your name," His smile faltered for a second, "was listed as owning my house about two hundred years ago."

   "Oh really?" He replied trying, and failing, to hide the nervousness in his voice. I glanced at Hyuk, he was staring at me with an unreadable expression.

   "Yeah, and I found something else, too." I watched as a look of fear flashed across his features.

   "What would that be?" He asked, shifting in his chair uncomfortably.

   "A painting..." I answered.

   "Oh my gosh, would you look at the time! Sorry Wonshik, but I just remembered that I have to work the night shift!" Hyuk suddenly said, standing up.

   "Wha- but." I started, Hyuk grabbed my arm and yanked me up from my seat.

   "Wait, what do you mean by a painting?" Hakyeon stood frantically.

   "Seriously Wonshik, I'm going to be late!" Hyuk cried, pulling me from the room. I tried to yank my arm out of his grasp, but he was surprisingly strong.

   "What are you doing Hyuk! Let go of me!" I yelled, grabbing at the walls to try to gain some leverance.

   "Hyuk, why are you in such a hurry?" Hakyeon somehow got infront of us, preventing hyuk from dragging me any further.

   "What! If I'm late one more time, I'll get fired." Hyuk was looking for a way around him.

   "What are you hiding?" Hakyeon asked.

   "Nothing!" he shouted, suddenly the front door flew open and a maid walked in distracting all of us. Hyuk took the opportunity to run around him, dragging me behind, and out the front door. He threw me in the passenger seat and drove away as fast as he could.

   "WHAT THE HELL HYUK!" I yelled. He ignored me and pulled over to the side of the road.

   "You can't tell him about the painting." Hyuk said sternly.

   "And why not." I huffed.

   "I'll tell you all I know just promise to never tell him anything about the painting." I stared at him in disbelief.

   "But-" I started.

   "Just promise me!" He begged. I didn't feel right about it, but the urgency in his voice brought me to agree.

   "Fine...I promise."


A/N Ugh my hands are so shaky right now and it's so hard to type. Didn't have enough time to proofread again so please for give any misakes. School is starting up in a few days(Oh my lord the stress) so I don't know how often I'll be able to update. Plus I managed to get myself a job so that doesn't leave a lot of time for writing...

 Thanks as always for reading and commenting!