ILY: Behind the Pages

ILY

Author's Note:

So my friend decided to suggest me an idea (while I was updating another story of mine) that I should post up my Behind the Pages drafts and notes of this story. I thought: What the heck. And here we are.

These are the drafts and notes :)

Side Note: Some of these ideas and thoughts were abandoned so it'll look like a bunch of carp put together...

 

(Draft of part 6):

“How’s he doing?” The sound of a deep but muffled voice comes to Kyungsoo’s ears, his conscious was slowly returning to him and the numb feeling in his limbs subsided. As the tingling feeling in his hands began to stop and the muffled voices by his ears becomes clearer (something about a drug..?), Kyungsoo squints into the brightly light room. With a pained groan, Kyungsoo rolled onto his side attempting to sit up. His head spun due to his sudden movements. Kyungsoo shook the dizziness from his head as he pinched the bridge of his nose and rubbed his eyes.

Once his senses returned to him completely, Kyungsoo’s heart flipped when he opened his eyes to the strange environment which he sat in the center of. The cozy room resembled a hospital room. The walls were painted white matching with the color of the bed that he had minutes before laid unconsciously on. There was an IV bag hanging on his right, but no wires were attached to his pale skin. Half way across the room, directly in front of the bed was a small coffee table and two comfy black leathered couches. After taking in his surroundings, Kyungsoo was confused. Chanyeol knocked him unconscious with… with whatever he used, the point was Chanyeol drugged him, but then he brought Kyungsoo to such a high classed nursing room..? Chanyeol’s... a weirdo.

“Oh, you’re up.” Kyungsoo snapped his eyes in the direction of the intruding voice and his eyes widen fearfully at the auburn haired man who just walked into the room with the door still opened slightly. “Sorry, didn’t mean to startle you.” The stranger closed the door with a small click and walked towards Kyungsoo, his voice was soothing and calm as if speaking any volume higher would harm Kyungsoo. Despite the welcoming voice, Kyungsoo backed away from the stranger, but his hands tangled into the white sheets of the hospital bed and kept him from scurrying further away. “Please don’t be scared? How are you feeling anyway?” He said as he sat down on the bed besides Kyungsoo’s legs and glanced momentarily at the door with a sigh.

 “W-who are you?” The fragile voice came out, timing perfectly with the door that flings open behind the brunette stranger.

“Hey Baekhyun how’s- KYUNGSOO!!” Chanyeol’s eyes brimmed with tears that threatened to fall as he practically tackled Kyungsoo and pulled him in a tight embrace. Kyungsoo was taken completely by shock and felt an urge to shove Chanyeol away but at the same time he felt the need to return the hug. Chanyeol drugged you. The voice sitting in the back of Kyungsoo’s head warned. Push him away. He doesn’t; Kyungsoo’s arms hesitantly wrapped around Chanyeol’s waist loosely. Within seconds, Kyungsoo breaks down in Chanyeol’s arms. The giant pulled away slightly but wrapped Kyungsoo in his strong arms again and drew comforting circles on Kyungsoo’s back. Chanyeol was still his hyung; no matter what, Chanyeol was still his hyung, which still confused Kyungsoo. Why did Chanyeol drug him exactly?

“Ahem,” The man by the name Baekhyun coughed. “Sorry to break this touching reunion, but Chanyeol please consider if you really want to choke my patient in my presence.”

Chanyeol hugged Kyungsoo tighter, “What makes him your patient?” He retorted with an eyebrow raised.

“Uh, yeah, the fact that you came crying to me for help makes him my patient.”

“I di-“

“Don’t you even dare say you didn’t come crying,” Baekhyun glared, then in a higher pitch and a scrunched up face, he continued. “Baek! Baek! Help me! I think I killed him!” With the finality of feigned sobs, Kyungsoo could no longer hold back his laughter. Chanyeol looked away to hide the blush on his face in embarrassment.

“I was really worr-” Chanyeol began to grumble but Kyungsoo cut him off as he pulled out of Chanyeol’s hold.

“Hyung… Why did you.. do it? Why’d you drug me?” Chanyeol flinched at the question and lowered his head. He looked to Baekhyun for help but even he knows himself that there was no other way out. He had to explain his own actions after all.

~

“Oh my ing god, Chanyeol, could you please calm the down?!” Baekhyun growled into his phone. Even without the speakers , the sound of muffled cries could be heard. “You’re going to make me go death!”

Luckily it was during Baekhyun’s lunch break that Chanyeol called, otherwise he wouldn’t have had the leisure to actually sit down and calm his annoyed nerves. He had always known Chanyeol for being overly dramatic, but he had never seen Chanyeol react like this!!

“Look Chanyeol, you only drugged him! He’s only unconscious; he’s not going to die!” Baekhyun ran a hand through his perfectly styled hair only to regret doing so seconds later, as the other end rambled on.

“Just bring him to me as soon as you get here okay? I swear, why did you even drug him in the first place?!”

It took Chanyeol twenty minutes to arrive, but as soon as he does, Baekhyun’s number was immediately dialed. And just as immediate as that, Kyungsoo was rushed into the building.

~

“I really don’t get why you drugged him,”

“Look, you’re the one who told me to make sure he wouldn’t know where we were.” The blonde raised a brow, giving Chanyeol a skeptical look.

“Yeah, so how’d that make you drug him?!” Kris growled. Could this guy get any dumber?!

“How else was I supposed to do it?!” Chanyeol jumped from his chair as he yelled out of frustration.

“My god, Chanyeol, you are just straight dumb!” Kris, completely forgetting to remain calm, yelled and stood as well, now they were both eye level. “You don’t just drug him! You could’ve just told him! You could’ve just blind folded him! You could’ve just-”

“Hyung calm down.” Baekhyun, who was watching the entire scene, sighed. His headache was really not getting any better. First this giant dongsaeng, now this immature hyung?

“Don’t tell me to calm down! This stupid… stupidness is just so stupid!”

“I am not stupid!”

“Tao, please take care of him?” Baekhyun sighed as he grabbed Chanyeol’s arm while giving the giant his most famous glare.

Kris continued to growl strings of profanities, some containing English which no one else in the room understood, as Tao began to drag him out. Baekhyun could only sigh, Only Tao, our second best could take care of that idiot. He turned to Chanyeol, who remained silent with a pout resting on his lips.

“Come on let’s go check on Kyungsoo, until Kris calms down.”

“We should go save him…” Chanyeol grumbled as he followed Baekhyun.

~

“Okay but I still don’t understand why you drugged me.” Kyungsoo stared; his eyes were now the size of golf balls, “Where are we anyway?”

“Uh… headquarters,” Chanyeol replied with a quick nod.

“Headquarters?!” Chanyeol nods again. “What do you mean by headquarters? Like spy headquarters?!”

Chanyeol nods again. “Well… we’re not spies, though.” Baekhyun replied before looking at Chanyeol, who was still nodding. “Yeolie, you’re going to become a bobble head if you keep doing that.”

Both Chanyeol and Kyungsoo goes wide eyed, one gawking and other gasped. “You’re lying!!” Both yelled in unison.

“Nope,” Baekhyun paused, “Well to Chanyeol, yeah, but not the headquarter part.”

Kyungsoo stared from Chanyeol, not meeting eyes since he was busy glaring at Baekhyun, to Baekhyun, who gladly made eye contact, and back to Chanyeol. “The- then what are you?”

“We’re assassins,” Baekhyun nodded and Chanyeol copied the gesture.

 

(Draft of part 7):

It took minutes for the new information to click into Kyungsoo’s mind. In fact, he goes through a stage of denial and disbelief. How can Chanyeol be an assassin? Not only that, how can Baekhyun be an assassin? Even though they had only met for barely two hours, he couldn’t see it. And Chanyeol? Don’t even start. Over the two years of knowing him, he was only an idiot who was too nice and innocent, not to mention immature even for his own good. Were these two playing with him? It was definitely not a time to joke like this!

“This is serious. It’s not time to joke.”

“Assassins,” Baekhyun bluntly replied, while Chanyeol sat confused by Kyungsoo’s reaction. He looked as if he saw a ghost.

“But, but… What?

(incomplete thought)

 

(Draft of part 8):

“Go! Go! Go!” Kris whisper yelled into his walkie talkie as he signaled the seven assassins into the big building. Kris followed not long after, reluctantly with a small Kyungsoo tagging along, his hands gripped tightly on Kris’s tight leather jacket.

On the other end of the walkie talkie, the remaining two assassins from the headquarters nodded at each other before one kicked down the whit wooden door of Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin’s apartment.

~

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were called into Kris’s office not long after Kyungsoo accepted the fact that Jongin was in life danger, along with his close, close buddy Kai. Chanyeol was in the middle of trying to console the doe eyed boy, when he received a call from Baekhyun. Seconds later they were crowded into Kris’s office, or rather the head’s meeting room, his office was next door though.

There was a long U shaped table in the center of the room; eleven seats were arranged five on five on both sides of the U and one at the curve, obvious for Kris only. Nine, all men, were seated in the chairs, some appeared older and some younger than Kyungsoo. Of the nine Kyungsoo recognized four, there was Kris seated at the head of the table, Joonmyeon seated in the seat directly left of Kris, Yixing and Baekhyun were seated at the end of the right leg of the U. The other five there were new faces. But to Chanyeol, he immediately recognized them. He did work with them every day after all. On the left of Kris, Joonmyeon was seated in the first seat, then Minseok, followed by Jongdae, then an empty seat which was opened for Chanyeol, himself, and finally Sehun. On the right sat Luhan first, next was Zitao, then another empty seat, obviously left for no one other than Jongin, the Yixing and lastly Baekhyun.

Chanyeol whispered a quiet “sit in the empty seat next to Yixing” and he walked toward his own seat.

Eyes followed Kyungsoo’s small form as he made his way to sit next to Yixing. As he sat, the eyes returned to the front of the room, giving Kris all of their attention. In front of him was a name plate reading: Kai, in all uppercase. So, Kyungsoo was in Kai’s seat huh?

“Okay, now that you’re all here, I’m going to evaluate the plan.” Kris spoke into the mic from his seat. Without waiting for any conversations or questions to start, Kris continued. “Suho and I-” Joonmyeon stood up next to Kris. “-decided that we’re all going to get Kai out.” The rest nodded, some whooped, Baekhyun and Chanyeol being two of them, but Kyungsoo remained confused. Why did Joonmyeon stand up when Kris called Suho? Why are they all nodding about only saving Kai, what about Jongin?

Then it struck him.

Eleven seats, eleven assassins all seated in each seat, eleven staffs, no one else. This wasn’t just any assassin headquarters. It was an assassin only headquarters, no one else was in the building. No wonder Kyungsoo hadn’t seen anyone other than Chanyeol who walked with him when they were heading to the meeting room.

Jongin was an assassin. Eleven seats. He was in one now. He was in Kai’s.

Kai is Jongin.

Just like Suho is Joonmyeon. Just like Lay is Yixing. Like how some assassins thought that it’d be easier to protect those they wanted protected if they had a code name. Jongin is Kai.

Kai or Jongin, he was an assassin and it finally sunk into Kyungsoo’s mind. He glanced at Chanyeol while Kris continued on with his plans. The giant was focused on the words. Liar, Kyungsoo thought, but it was soon dismissed as he remembered how careful Chanyeol had been with picking his words when they talked in Yixing’s nursing room. Jongin isn’t, Kai is though. Chanyeol was still sickly cheesy, Kyungsoo realized. Kai was only Jongin’s assassin façade.

The room suddenly dimmed and a screen popped up in front of Kyungsoo. It was a hologram screen of a two-story building’s blueprint. “I’ve had Xiumin visit the building that Kai’s kept in a few times when we tracked down Kai’s phone for his location.” Kris said catching everyone’s attention.

Someone with rainbow colored hair sitting at the end of the left leg, one looking younger than Kyungsoo, pouted and called out, “Unfair!”

“Lucky! Kris sent our best spy out huh?” Another, a man directly across from Kyungsoo, said cheekily and nudged a mochi-like faced man with monolid eyes, which Kyungsoo assumed to be Xiumin. The latter blushed and hid himself behind his hands embarrassed. Mochi-face = Xiumin.

Kris rolled his eyes. “Kai’s kept in the building that you’re looking at now. Xiumin was able to make out the blueprint of the building so we know all of the openings and exits in the building.” He continued and looked over at Joonmyeon who nodded.

“I want you each to study the blueprint, we’re attacking tomorrow.” Joonmyeon finished off for Kris.

“All of us?” The boy sitting on the right of Kyungsoo, and obvious to being younger than Kyungsoo, asked. Panda eyed boy, Kyungsoo mentally noted, name: Tao.

“Yeah all of us,” Joonmyeon nodded.

“We can’t underestimate bastards, they got our Kai!” The boy from across yelled.

“Chen’s right,” Kris agreed but not as enthusiastically. Okay, loud boy = Chen, Kyungsoo noted. “Any more comments before we continue?” Without a second wasted, Kris continued. “Okay then, since there are three openings, front, back and side window, excluding the ones that send you to instant death of course, does anyone want to guard those, volunteers?” No one answered. “You have the permission to knock them out as soon as you see them.” With that, three, exactly three hands shot up. One from a flower boy sitting right hand of Kris, second one, being Jongdae, and lastly the boy who yelled ‘unfair’ previously. “O-kay.. Then Luhan, Jongdae and Sehun will take care of those openings. The rest will charge in together-” Pretty boy, Kyungsoo thought, name: Luhan, it sounds pretty too. Sehun... rainbow haired.

“Wait no; let’s plant two to attack from within.” Joonmyeon called out. “From this blueprint, Kai’s probably kept on the second floor.”

“Okay volunteers then?” Tao raised his hand, so did Baekhyun. Guess those two were the type to seek challenge and adventure. “Alright then, you know what to do right” Both nodded. “Find Kai first and report immediately, and the rest of us.. charge in?” Kris asked Joonmyeon who slightly nodded, but this time Chanyeol cut in.

“Oh wait! Kyungsoo called Kai earlier today.” Chanyeol paused. “You think they might go visit his house?”

“They might…” Joonmyeon mumbled. “Now that they found something, well someone, to threaten him with.. Where do you live?”

“Apartment 208,” The answer came once Kyungsoo realized Joonmyeon was asking him.

“I’ll check out his place then.”

“I’ll go too, just in case, it’s dark out now.” Yixing voiced up, which surprised Kyungsoo slightly, he had almost forgotten Yixing’s presence.

“Who said you’re going tonight?” Kris raised a brow, “They can’t possibly track down Kyungsoo’s phone fast. And if I remember correct, Kai never saved numbers right? It’ll be harder for them to look for someone they don’t even know the name of. We, professionals, took some time to find Kai and they can do better? I doubt it,”

~

Early morning, 4:56 AM to be exact, as soon as the sun began to rise everyone was gathered again in the meeting room. Again Kris goes over each of their assignment in detail. Warm ups were done as well to eye open the sleepy assassins, while in the headquarters’ kitchen Kyungsoo prepared breakfast. Congee with two grilled eggs lying on top with two side dishes of radish and cabbage kimchi made to server each of the eleven men.

Exactly 6:37, they arrived at the targeted building.

“Go! Go! Go!” Kris whisper yelled into his walkie talkie as he signaled the seven assassins into the big building. Kris followed not long after, reluctantly with a small Kyungsoo tagging along, his hands gripped tightly on Kris’s tight leather jacket.

On the other end of the walkie talkie, the remaining two assassins from the headquarters nodded at each other before one kicked down the whit wooden door of Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin’s apartment.

 

(Draft of part 9):

Back against the wall, taking peaks at both left and right, Kai stepped up towards the opened grassland. Night was setting and he could only think about finishing his last mission as soon as he could. The faster he got the job done, the faster he could run home crashing into the warm arms of his lover and boyfriend. One mention of the god-like name set images flooding into his mind. Those cherry heart lips, moon like eyes and petite button nose. Everything spelled perfection... (incomplete thought)

~

Night was falling, a great camouflage if needed, which in this case Kai did. His assignment was to dispose a group of men, the details weren’t given to him, that were meeting at the…. (incomplete thought)

~

“Hyung! I found him!”

“Who was it?”

“Ha! lives with a guy!” The guy brought up the phone book and pointed at a name. “Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin it says.”

“Hmm.. Do Kyungsoo? Get a picture of the guy and take three guys with you tomorrow to their house. Bring him alive back so we got something for him to cry about,” The hyung smirked in Jongin’s direction... (incomplete thought)

~

Joonmyeon silently nodded to Yixing again, once the wood splintered inwards into the cozy apartment... (incomplete thought)

~

They were outnumbered yes, but not out skilled. Kris growled in annoyance, this was definitely not included in the details, when he received the mail containing the mission’s information. Dispose seven men, it had said, this was definitely not seven. It didn’t even mention the part about them being trained fighters either. If he had known better he would sent two or three more assassins along with Jongin. Maybe then, none of this crap would’ve happened, it would’ve been easier for Jongin at least. He actually tried to fight 70 to 80 or 90 of these bastards by himself?

“Kris, stop growling and actually help Kyungsoo will you?” At the sound of Joonmyeon struggling voice, Kris’s attention snapped behind him to catch sight of Kyungsoo cowering towards a corner. Dammit. You never cower into a corner of all places, assassin tip. Immediately he positioned himself behind one of the attackers of Kyungsoo’s. One grab by the collar and a strong grip the latter was tossed on the floor, feet away.

“Stay behind me,” Kris grunted through clenched teeth as he fended off another attacker. Not that Kyungsoo had any other choice really; he was still standing in the corner, this time cornered with Kris’s back facing him.

Kyungsoo nodded, but he really hoped to be some how useful. Watching the assassins fight while he stood by watching just didn’t feel right, especially when those assassins were fighting to save his boyfriend and protect him as well.

Most of the fight was held on the first floor. Luhan, Sehun and Jongdae’s hands were extremely full; a lot of the fighters were actually looking for escape. Joonmyeon and Yixing arrived in the shortly after the fight began, so they were stuck assisting the exits, so was Minseok.

While most seek escape, loyal fighters ran towards the second floor, where Baekhyun and Zitao was busy protecting Jongin. That was in fact the same place Kris, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol were desperately heading for. Loyal fighters usually meant experienced fighters. As the fight continued on, Kris and Chanyeol finally fought their way up towards the second floor with a safe Kyungsoo trailing in between, and stepping over unconscious and some even dead.

On the second floor, Baekhyun was surrounded by five of Jongin’s captors and Zitao was in a no better mess himself. In hopes of fending off the... (incomplete thought)