~part ten~

The Wallflower

I arrived back home a couple of minutes later. I was about to head inside through the front door, only to realize that I forgot to bring my keys. Damn it. Of all things to forget, you forget your keys. Great job, dimwit. You are so smart, you could even win an award, I thought to myself.

This kind of reminds me of something that happened back when I was still in the United States. I got locked out by Tammy and Grace. Yeah. Believe it or not, they used to bully me a lot when I was really young. I guess the present is important, though, since they stopped pranking me when I grew up and started babying me. I guess either way, they still manage to find a way to piss me off.

-flashback-
-age 7-

Today, it was an especially hot summer day here in the 626. 626 means California. I learned that from my Vietnamese best friend, Andrew. People in Arcadia seem to call it that a lot. I think it’s the area code or something.

Here I was, just lying on the couch, drinking a glass of iced pink lemonade. I actually don’t like it. It tastes a bit like armpit, even though I’ve never tasted an armpit before. I was just drinking it because that’s all we had left. Joey ended up drinking all of the soda and apple juice.

I heard someone descending the stairs, no wait, there were 2 people. Too lazy to check who it was, I stayed in my position. “Oh my God! It’s way too hot here! Why can’t we live in Antarctica or something?” I heard my then 11 year old sister, Tammy, say.

“Trust me,” Grace, my other sister said, “If we lived there, we’d be frozen by now.”

“It’s a lot better than melting from this heat.”

“We might as well distract ourselves. Wanna watch some TV?” I heard Grace ask.

“Sure. I’m making some lemonade. Do you want any?” Tammy called out from the kitchen.

“Mmmm.” Grace replied.

She got to the living room, and saw me laying on the couch. Completely ignoring my presence, she sat on my legs and grabbed the lemonade I was drinking. I hated being the younger kid. This always happened to me. They would take my stuff and bully me, saying they were “playing” with me when I would tell mom and dad about it. It .

“Yah! That’s mine!!! Get your own. AND GET OFF ME!!!” I squirmed.

“I will, when Tammy brings me mine. Hand me the remote control, please.”

I ended up giving in and passing her the remote, as she requested.

Flipping through the all the channels, she sipped on my lemonade, eventually finishing it. I didn’t really mind though, since as I said a while ago, I think it tastes like armpit.

“Gah!” she shut the TV off, “Tammy, there’s nothing good on TV. It’s all boring stuff.”

Tammy walked into the living room, handing Grace her own glass of pink lemonade. She got off of me, like she said she would.

“Well, I know what we can do to entertain ourselves.” Tammy gave Grace a look.

“1, 2, 3!” they whispered in sync and started tickling me. I hated being touched. As soon as I saw the chance, I bolted off of the couch and ran around the living room. They chased me.

“You can run, Mark, but you most definitely can’t hide!” Grace threatened.

In desperation, I unlocked the glass sliding door to the backyard, and ran outside. Too caught up in the chase, I didn’t notice that they stopped running and they were standing at the doorway. My laughter stopped when I realized what they were about to do. I started running to them, but they were quick. They shut the door and locked it.

They were laughing from the inside. Quickly realizing that I could pass through the front door, I started running again. They knew what I was about to do, so Grace ran out of the room as well. When I got to the front of the house, Grace was already standing at the window near the door. There was no use trying. The sun was only getting hotter and hotter, so I retreated back to the backyard, where there was shade, at the very least.

Tammy was watching me. I sat in front of the door, waiting for them to get bored and open it. When suddenly,

“The AC is on in our room!!!” Dad hollered from the top of the stairs.

 Clearly too excited, Tammy seemed to forget my presence and grabbed both glasses of lemonade form the coffee table before heading to Mom and Dad’s room, with Grace on her tail.

I eventually waited out there until Joey got hungry and Mom had Grace accompany him downstairs. I wanted to scream at them and cry to Mom and do a lot of other things, but I was just too tired from waiting outside for hours, so I just ended up going upstairs, into Mom and Dad’s room, and collapsing on their bed.

I just realized that they never apologized for that. Whatever. It’s in the past, anyways.

Taking my phone out, I searched through my contacts until I found who I was looking for: my little brother, Joey. I pressed call.

A couple of seconds passed before he finally picked up.

“Hello?” I heard him say.

“Joey, open the front door for me. I forgot my keys.” I said and put the phone down.

I heard the door click and open. I walked inside.

“Bro, you are the biggest idiot ever.” He said, laughing.

“Yeah. Whatever.” I said, ignoring the fact that he just openly insulted me.

I went up to the master bedroom and greeted Mom and Dad, informing them that I was back. I took a quick shower, not wanting to smell like the bustling streets of Seoul. After drying my hair and dressing myself, I laid on my bed and looked through my pictures. Jessica had me take some of her when her own device died on her. I skipped to the last one. It was of Jaehee, Jessica, and I at the stall in Myeongdong. She said that she wanted a picture of us 3 to post on Facebook, or something, so I complied.

I just noticed that the new look that Jaehee was sporting with the dark brown, straight hair, a bit of eyeliner, and crop top with high-waisted shorts made her look similar to Jessica. Not in the sense that they looked alike, because they didn’t. They were just packaged the same way, if you know what I mean.

Jessica had small eyes that pointed slightly upwards, dyed dark brown hair with almost black roots that were growing out, a nose that was a mix of sharp and flat, and thin pink lips. Jaehee also had her hair dyed, but to a color that was darker and more natural than Jessica’s, eyes that were big and doll-like, a button nose, and smaller, paler lips.

Getting sleepy, I put my phone down and hit the hay, hoping for a good day tomorrow.

A/N: Ohmygosh, guys. I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think I can double update today. I was actually supposed to stay home and chill the whole day, but I found out that I needed to bake/cook for something important. It would be alright if that was all I had to do, but I also need to head out in the afternoon to meet up with my uncle. I'm so, so sorry. I swear, I'll make it up to you soon! I also said that I would post this in the morning, but it's almost 2 p.m. now!!! I'm a really bad author. Thank you for putting up with me! Good bye!

 

XOXO,
stephanielee