The Start

A Life's Dream

 

            It’s just a night like any other night. Amy would be usually sitting home or going out with her friends. But tonight was different. Her Korean friend, Daniel, asked her a favor. He needed to leave the country for a few days, so the girl was taking his place at serving in a small cafeteria called Handel and Gretel. She had plenty of time before university started, so why not!?

 

 

~ Let’s rewind a bit ~

 

             It was Amy’s 18 birthday. Her parents were away, so she only got to celebrate with her friends. A few days later, she got an  e-mail telling her that she had a package to pick from the post office. It was indeed the present from her parent, as the girl thought, but the biggest surprise came in the form of a letter. It was the acceptance letter to the Chung-Ang University in Seoul.

 

             Even though Amy wasn’t Korean, she loved the culture and the language and so decided to pursue a university in that beautiful country. It took her many years to improve the language, but now she was fluent and it was easy for her to understand what people were saying even if they were speaking fast. This – the acceptance letter – was the best thing that happened to her in the past 5 years. So after her parents returned from their business trip, they had a really serious discussion about the idea of her moving to Korea. And now, here she was for almost two months, still getting used with the new lifestyle.

 

             She knew Daniel for almost two years. The age difference was three years, but that was never a problem. They started off as online buddies, but then began to talk over the phone a lot too. He has been of great help to her in the beginning, as she didn’t know the country at all. Daniel also helped her find a small apartment near the university. So she kind of owned him and couldn’t say no when he asked her to replace him at the cafeteria for a while. Plus, money were always helpful.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Amy’s POV:

 

            It was quieter than usual, as there were only a few people around. That seemed quite weird to me, because I knew this place was always crowded. The reason was said to be that the cafeteria was owned by Super Junior’s Yesung’s parents and fans were constantly coming to see if they can catch a glimpse of him, because he said he’ll be visiting from time to time. Daniel confirmed to me that he has been here three times already.  That…and the delicious food were the reasons they had lots of people coming in. But tonight was so empty. I had this ominous feeling…

 

           Tonight couldn’t get weirder…but it did!

As I was serving what seemed to be our last customers – an old couple – the door opened and in came the owner’s son with a bunch of friends. Even though I am not such a big Super Junior fan (I only know a few of them), how am I supposed not to recognize him?! His face is plastered all over the walls in here!!!

           When I passed them the menu, they looked at me kind of weird. I could hear them whispering while I was going back to my place behind the counter.

           “What is a foreigner doing serving in your folk’s cafeteria?!” one of them asked.

           “Who knows? She must be new though. I haven’t seen her around before”, another replied.

           “Well, she is …” I heard another voice, but couldn’t figure out what he wanted to say after that. It must have been something funny about me, ‘cause they all started laughing afterwards.

 

           As they were eating, I started to watch them closely (well, there was nothing better to do anyway) and I realized why did they seem so familiar to me. They were all Super Junior members!!! There was Eunhyuk and Heechul and Donghae and…a few others whose names I didn’t know (yet).

 

           They must be celebrating something…Ah, of course! They won at a music program today with their new song: Mr. Simple. So that’s why all of them looked so happy. Oh, wait. Maybe not all of them.

 

 

Author’s POV:

 

          They were all eating and happily chatting. Only Heechul wasn’t able to join in the fun. His mind was wandering somewhere else.

 

          “Hyung~, come on! Cheer up! We are No. 1!!!” they tried to change the frown in his forehead into a smile, but with no success.

 

          He was bored, so he proposed a game. It was just a simple game of rock-scissors-paper, but it had a punishment. Heechul’s punishments were scary, but they decided to just go with the flow this time. Obviously, he won. The game was now between Eunhyuk and Donghae. But Heechul stopped it.

 

          “How about punishing both of you? It’ll be something easy, don’t worry. We’ll play another round and the loser gets something harder. What do you think?” he said.

 

          They didn’t feel like it, but in the end agreed.

         

          “Now, the two of you are going to…”