Of Chickens and Circumcisions

Whirlwind

“Remind me why we have afternoon classes again?” Yoona frowned as she sinks herself in her chair. “Because our great Algebra teacher in time management and so we have to extend in order to finish all needed lessons.” Luhan said as he fiddled with his phone.

“Don’t remind me.” Yoona rolled her eyes. “What the hell? You just asked me and so I answered.” Luhan looked at her in disbelief. “You know what I mean.” Yoona looked at him. “Come on, Yoona. It’s just Math; it won’t eat you alive.”

Ever since she was a child, Yoona hated Math and to make matters worse, Math hates her, too. She doesn’t understand why even if she pushes herself to comprehend the subject, she still doesn’t get it. The number gods probably cursed her when she born.

On the other hand, Luhan was terribly good at Math. Hell, he was good at everything. He doesn’t like Math that much but Math admires him. He doesn’t even need to study anymore in order to pass a test. Hell, even if he doesn’t study, he’ll not only pass, he’ll be one of the top scorers.

That is basically one of the reasons why Yoona thinks that life really is unfair.

“I know I know but I’m just disappointed that I won’t be able to accompany Jongin today.” Yoona mumbled with a pout. “Why? Where is your brother going today?” Luhan looked at her and asked. Yoona suddenly leaned in to him which caught him by surprise. With a playful face, Yoona whispered, “He’s gonna be circumcised today, remember?” Luhan chuckled. “Oh yeah, I remember. But why would you go there with him? Are you his mom?”

Yoona rolled her eyes. “I want to be there so that I can laugh at him.” Luhan looked at her incredulously. “You’re so rude. You know, you shouldn’t do that.” Yoona looked at him and laughed. “And why not?”

Luhan then began his own story of circumcision, how his siblings also almost pranked him and how he was nervous yet brave enough to decide by himself when he’s going to be circumcised. “It’s awkward for a guy; cut him some slack, hmm?” Yoona can’t believe that Luhan’s siding with her brother. Yoona just laughed and continued shaking her head.

“No, I’m bringing him one of my long skirts and boss him around.” Yoona continued laughing. “Thank God you’re not my sister.” Luhan muttered. I wouldn’t allow that, anyway, Yoona thought.

Even as they were walking to the mini restaurant downstairs, Yoona still kept on thinking of pranks to do when she gets home. “My baby cousin, Baekhyun, will be there and for sure, Jongin will bricks if he messes his stuff so I’ll tell Baekhyun to mess everything up.” Luhan rolled his eyes. “You’re impossible.”

“One chicken teriyaki please.” Luhan told the lady in the counter. “Me too.” Yoona chimed in. “Copycat.” Luhan laughed at her.

As they were waiting for their orders, Yoona still won’t stop talking about her brother’s circumcision. “Why are you so obsessed with that?” Luhan asked as he took a sip from his cup. “I don’t know; it’s just weird for me to know that Jongin’s already growing up.”

“So you mask your concern for him with pranks. You should grow up, Yoona.” Yoona was about to snap back when the two plates of sizzling chicken teriyaki were placed on their table.

“Speaking of growing up, mom doesn’t trust me yet about studying in Beijing.” Yoona said as she fills with chicken. “She thinks I can’t handle myself yet.” She pouts.

“Just looking at you now, I don’t really think she’ll ever trust you to live there.” Luhan said like it’s the most obvious thing. Yoona scoffed. “Just because you have brothers living there already doesn’t mean you’re suitable to live there, too.”

“You’ll be alone there, Yoong. Just stay here in Xiamen.” Luhan looked at her and for one second, she thinks he’s actually pleading her. “But I don’t want to be left alone here. All of you will go to Beijing after Senior year.” Yoona refutes.

“You’ll be safer here, Yoong.” Luhan said. Yoona sighed. “Come on, you don’t even know how to commute. How are you going to go to school?”

“I can walk.” Yoona said with confidence. “You’re lucky if you find a dorm near your school but what if you don’t? And besides, you can’t walk to school. What if you have classes at night; you can’t walk for god’s sake.” Seriously, sometimes Luhan’s such a girl when he whines.

“If you really want to live in Beijing, first you must be more responsible; you learn your chores and for god’s sake learn how to commute.” Luhan continued to lecture her as he takes a bite of his own chicken. Yoona can only smile and nod like a child.

And maybe, just maybe, he’s more concerned for her than how much she thought he is.