Of Physics and Ice Cream Cones

Whirlwind

It was after a gruelling Advanced Physics summer class when Luhan and Yoona decided to grab ice cream cones from the nearest convenience store of their review center. He chose both vanilla and chocolate; she only chose the latter. 

It’s been two weeks since they practically see each other every day (just in different outfits and moods). Seeing each other during summer was different from seeing each other in school; no one was watching them with wiggly eyebrows and malice. What malice should they be afraid of anyway? They were bestfriends after all and bestfriends stay as bestfriends only, right?

Apparently not; for Yoona that is. She’s one of those weak girls who fell in love with her bestfriend. However, at the same time, she’s one of those strong weak girls who can perfectly mask her feelings (or so she thinks she does).

Yoona sits on one of the stools outside the convenience store, appreciating the sweet and cool touch of the ice cream on her tongue although she hates it for it gains her weight (she couldn’t care less though because she’s eating it with Luhan).

Luhan sits on the table (ever the I-don’t-give-a-damn boy) eating his own cone and he couldn’t care less if he gains weight because hell, he doesn’t get fat.

For the first few moments, there was silence engulfing them as they devour their ice cream cones; it’s always like that for them…the silence doesn’t bother them at all. Stories and jokes just tumble out of their mouths when they were too tired for silence.

It was Luhan who spoke first this time. “Those girls in class annoyed the hell out of me a while ago.” Yoona stopped her ice cream and looked up at him. “They were all over you.” She laughed but deep inside she was jealous. He was actually  entertaining them.

“I know.” He smirked and she snorted; that’s Luhan and Yoona’s action-reaction. “But you know the girl behind me? She asked if I was gay. What the ?” She did not need to look at him to see that he was fuming. Ever since they were young, he was almost always mistaken as a guy who wants to be part of the female population; probably because of his girlish face and misunderstood playful mannerisms. “Are you gay?” is the question he loathes so much that it’s like how Lucifer hates goodness.

“I told her that I’m not and do you know what she asked me again?” Yoona looked up to see Luhan looking at her. “What?” She raised her right eyebrow (because it’s the only eyebrow she can raise). “She asked, ‘Really? Even just a bit?’ I mean come on who asks that ?” His face was scrunched. “Now that’s rude.” Yoona agreed. “Of course it is. If it wasn’t the fact that I was in class, I would’ve punched the hell out of that .” He crossed his arms. “Now’s that ruder.” He scoffed. “Don’t mind them and just remember what you always tell me: you know who you are and you know what’s true.” And in an instant, he smiled the smile that always tugs at her heartstrings.

They stayed like that (her seated on the chair, him on the table) even if the ends of their cones were already in the trash bin and were replaced by a cup and a can of Coke and coffee. They didn’t even notice that their conversation went from hair colors that don’t match brown skin to children begging for food outside stores making you feel so awkward to dreams and sleep talking. They also didn’t notice how much their jaws and stomachs were aching because of the seemingly endless laughter.

During the sleep talking part, he had a story to tell which after seconds she realized that he was slapping himself in his mind for bringing it up. “You know there was actually this one time when my family just started teasing me when I woke up…” He started, not glancing at her. “…they kept teasing me because I was saying a name while I was sleeping.” Yoona looked up from her lap. “Whose name?” He looked at her. “That is a mystery.” He laughed as stood up. “Hey that’s not fair!” Yoona stomped her feet. “What? Not fair? You’re not even telling me who your crush is so it’s just fair that I keep something from you too.” That stopped her on her tracks.

She told him that she’ll tell him who she likes during their graduation day. She just couldn’t bear to tell him about her feelings anytime soon.

“Okay fine. At least give me a hint? And no, not about the gender or something so obvious; something that can actually lead me to something.” Yoona snapped.

He rubbed his chin pretending to be in deep thought. “What hint can I give you wherein you can’t guess it until our graduation day?” He smirked (again). Yoona rolled her eyes.

“Hm okay. She’s from our batch and she’s not your classmate last Junior high. Oh, and this incident actually happened when we were still Freshmen for god’s sake.” Yoona looked away from him and thought hard. Freshmen year…she can only think of two girls who were actually linked to him and both of them were not her classmates last Junior high. She smiled as she thinks she found the right answer yet at the same time, her heart sank realizing that it’s most probably not her he’s talking about.

“Come on, just please tell me? It’s not a  big deal anyway; it’s all in the past. Freshmen year, hello, that’s like two years ago?” Yoona pleaded as Luhan sat down and took a sip of his Coke shaking his head like a little child. “Sorry, I won’t tell.” Yoona pouted. “Pretty please?” She says while shaking his arm causing him to laugh in amusement. He sighed in defeat and Yoona thought that he’s going to say something but what surprised her was that while she was busy repeating the word “who”, he suddenly pointed at her with a face saying, ‘I give up; okay it’s you I’m talking about.’ But she was so slow in reflex and her mind was cluttered and clouded and her heart was beating so fast and her cheeks were almost getting pink that she asked the word “who” again and that saved him from unwanted confession.

“You’ll just find out during our graduation day so that at least you can look forward to something.” His smile blinded her (every time). After he said that, she wondered whether him pointing at her was just a product of her crazy imagination. Maybe he wasn’t really pointing at me. Maybe I just wanted him to say that it was my name he said in his sleep that I actually hallucinated.

Little does she know that it was actually her name he said on his sleep.