KIm's dad surprise visit

The Safest Place on Earth

They arrived in the market.  Pie helped Kim carry the baskets full of vegetables to Puey’s shop.

Puey.  A gay friend of Kim from university, also an agriculture graduate but he chose to have business than in the farm.

               “You look good today, Puey!”  Kim greeted.

               “Thank you, Kim.  You look good too.”  Puey responded.

 

               “Hey, Kim.  Who’s that beautiful girl?”  asked Van.  Puey’s brother. He went straight to Pie and helped carry the basket.

               “She’s Pie.”  Kim looking at Van’s hand touching Pie’s hand while holding the basket.

               “Are you single, Pie?”  Van asked Pie.  Pie blushed.

               “No, she’s with me Van.  Kim grabbed Pie’s hand.  Pie was shocked at Kim’s but reaction. So we have to go, Puey, Van.  I’ll come back next week.  Puey handed money in an envelope to Kim as payment.

               “Bye, Pie.  See you later.”  Van waved at Pie.

                             

               “Van seems nice.”  Pie said.

               “No, he’s not!”

               “Why?  I think he’s charming.”

               “No he’s not, Pie.  He’s with Jam.”

               “Really?”

               Kim nodded.  Her eyes were locked on the street driving.  “Look Pie, I don’t even accept Van for Jam.  Van has lot of girls in every town in Nan.  I don’t want you to be one of them.  I don’t want you to get hurt.”

               “What about Jam?  Did Jam know about Van’s doing?”

                “Yes, but she didn’t listen.  It’s her life by the way.”

 

               “Okay, erase Van.  Thank you, Kim.”

               The truck stopped at the front of the supermarket.  “Let’s buy some stuff, Pie.  Let’s go.”

               “Okay, boss.”  Pie nodded.

________________________________________________________

 

               The two policemen went back to supermarket where they last saw Pie.  They asked one of the cashiers, showing the picture of Aunt In.

               “Do you know this lady, miss?” Matt asked.

               “Well, familiar.  I think I know where she lives.  Wait, hmmm.  (thinking) Aha! I think she live on the fourth block from here.”

               “Are you sure, miss?”  John asked.

               “Yes, I’m sure.” The cashier answered.

              

               They went to the block where the cashier told them.  They knocked one of the houses on the block and asked if they know the woman on the picture.

               “Yes, that’s Ingrid Suttikul.  We call her In for short.  She live (pointing at In’s house) that house.  I think she’s not there.”  Old lady answered.

               “Do you know where she goes when she’s away?”  John asked.

               “No, she’s not kind of sociable person.  I just talked to her once or twice.”  Old lady answered politely.

               “How do you know her name if she’s not that sociable?”  Matt asked again.                          

               “Well, it is our duty as one of the homeowners in this block to know every name that lives in this block.  You don’t know your neighbors’ names, don’t you?”

               Matt felt irritated.  “Thank you, ma’am.  I think you answered all we need to know.  Goodbye.”  Matt left and went back to the car.

               “You got clues, Matt?” John asked.

               “I know where she lives, her name is Ingrid Suttikul and she’s not home.  Drive, we will back here tonight.”

___________________________________________________________

 

               Pie and Kim bought some goods before they decided to go home.  They were laughing and teasing to each other.  They enjoyed each other’s company.

 

               They arrived home.  Before they got off the truck, Pie held Kim’s hand.

               “Thank you, Kim.”  Pie smiled.

               “Anytime, Pie.  Let’s get these stuffs inside.”

              

               As they came inside the house, Aunt In already prepared dinner on the table.

               “Having fun, kids?  Dinner is served.”

 

               While eating, Aunt In noticed something about Kim and Pie.  She noticed some magic between them.

               “Pie, do you like Nan?”  Aunt In asked.

               “I love this place, Aunt In.”  Looking at Kim and Kim smiled at her.

               “It’s good to know.  I’m happy for Kim also.”  Aunt In slipped her tongue.

               “What Aunt In?” Kim asked.

               “Nothing, continue eating.” Aunt In answered.

              

               I think someone’s at the door.  Pie said.

               Kim, ran to the door and opened.  It was Kim’s Dad.

               “Dad, you’re here! Aunt In is here too.”

 

               Aunt In went straight to Kim’s Dad.  “Hey brother, it’s been a long time.”

               “It’s been 6 months Kim, you haven’t changed a bit.  You still dress like a man.  Act like a man.  You failed me, Kim.  I let you stay here to change.” 

 

               “This is who I am, Dad!”

               “And you like to be like that?”  Kim’s dad raised his voice.

               “Oh come on, brother.”

               “I just come here to check Kim.  I have to go now.  I’ll be back, Kim.  Remember what I said, no one will like you if you still acting like that!”  Kim’s dad left the house and Kim went straight to her room.

              

Pie was shocked at Kim’s dad reaction.  She doesn’t know what to do.

“Kim will be alright tomorrow, Pie.  We just leave her alone tonight.”

“Okay, Aunt In.”

 

Pie was lying on her bed.  She can’t stop thinking about Kim and Kim’s dad.  Now she knows why Kim doesn’t want to stay at her dad’s.  She heard a door opened.  It was Kim.  Pie went outside looking for Kim and she found Kim went straight to the main door and went to the garden holding two bottles of beer.

 

“Kim, are you alright?”  Can I sit with you?

Kim nodded.  “Drink with me.”

 

“I hate him, Pie.”  Kim said.

“Don’t say that Kim”

“I don’t care that no one will like me the way I am.”

“I like you, Kim.  I like the way you are.”

 

Kim lean her head to Pie’s shoulder.  Pie held her hand tightly.  They were watching stars in the sky.   Aunt In in her room window, watching over them.  Aunt In smiled and said,

 “Thank you God, thank you for giving Pie to my Kim.”

___________________________________________________________

It was 12:00 midnight.  Everybody was already sleeping on the block.  Matt and John wearing bonnet to cover their faces, black t-shirt and black pants went to Aunt In’s house like burglars.  They were looking some clues, information or address in drawers, phone books, cabinets and even in bathroom.  They found nothing until Matt noticed John staring at the picture hanging on the wall.  It was In sitting under the tree beside the garden.  And there was a caption the right bottom of the picture, the address.

“Maybe she’s there Matt.  Maybe Pie is there also.”

“Maybe, I will go there at daybreak.  You stay here.  Tell chief that I’m not feeling well.”