Matt in Nan

The Safest Place on Earth

Matt drove faster as he could.  He arrived at Nan two hours early.  He doesn’t know where he go to reach the right address, he went to the market to ask.  He went in to the Puey’s shop.  Van was in charge.

“Excuse me, can I ask about this address?”

               “Yes, that’s Kim’s place.”

               “Kim?”

               “Kim, a friend of mine.  Just go straight that way (pointing the street) when you reach the crossroad, turn right.  Don’t stop until you reach the big blue gate and that’s it.”

               “Thank you so much.  I have to go now.”

               “You’re welcome.  Wait, where’s the best place to eat here?”

               “At the back, turn right, last shop.”

               “Thanks again.”  Matt smiled.

__________________________________________________________

 

               Kim just arrived from Jam’s.  She got off the truck right away and looking for Pie.  Pie was in the kitchen washing dishes.

               “There you are, Kim hugged Pie at the back.”

               Pie didn’t say a word.

               “Is there any problem?”

               “Nothing, how’s Jam by the way?”

               Kim smiled. “You’re jealous, right?”

               “No!” Pie answered.

               “Yes, you are.  You’re cute when you’re jealous, Pie.  You don’t have to.  Jam is just my friend.”

               “She seems sweet to you, Kim.  I don’t like it.”

               “Okay ma’am.” Kim kissed Pie’s cheeks and went to the refrigerator looking for some food.

 

               “Kim? “ Aunt In went in.

               “Yes, Aunt In?”

               “I think I have to go back to the city.  I need to see the doctor.”

               “Are you alright, Aunt In? Pie asked.

               “Yes, Pie but today is my checkup schedule.”

               “How about the police?” Kim asked worried.

               “Don’t worry.  I’ll keep my head down.  I’ll be back right away after the checkup.  I’ll take the bus.”

               “Okay, Aunt In.  I’ll drive you to the bus station.  Pie, come with us.”

               Pie nodded.

___________________________________________________________

 

               Matt enjoyed much his late breakfast.  He ate a lot, he felt his stomach grew bigger.

               “Now, that’s what we called breakfast.”  He put the bill on the table and he left.

               He went to his car.  He was looking the road where Van gave him direction.

               “Ah, there is it. I almost forgot.”

 

___________________________________________________________

 

               Pie borrowed Kim’s sunglasses.  Aunt In also borrowed Kim’s hat.  Aunt In practicing her head down if she still can see the road when she got back to the town.

               “Are you sure about this Aunt In?”  Kim asked.

               “I must see a doctor, Kim.   This is important.  I’ll be okay.”

               Kim nodded.

 

___________________________________________________________

 

               After the 10-minute drive, Matt arrived at the crossroad.  He hesitated which way to go.  He forgot what Van said.

               “Left? Right? Ah!  I think I have to stay here for a while.”  Matt parked his car under the tree.

 

___________________________________________________________

              

               At the bus station,

               “I got to go.  Take care, kids.  I’ll call you when I get there.”

               “Take care too, Aunt In.”  Pie said.

               Kim just waved to Aunt In.”

 

               While driving back home. Kim, held Pie’s hand tightly.  Pie looked at Kim.

               “Don’t worry Pie, everything will be alright.”

               “Kim, what if they’re here?  What if they found me here?”  Pie asked worriedly.

               “They can’t touch you Pie, over my dead body.”

               “Thank you, my knight in shining armor.”

 

___________________________________________________________

 

               Kim and Pie passed the crossroad, Matt waved at them but Kim didn’t notice the guy waving at them.  So they just passed.  Pie was looking at the side mirror; her heart was beating fast and grabbed Kim’s hand.

               “What is it, Pie?”

               “I think I saw someone.  Don’t stop, just drive.”

               “Who?”

               “Ah, It’s nothing.” Pie shook her head.

 

               “Okay.” Kim nodded.

 

               “I think I have to go back and ask again. Damn, what is wrong with me?  I easily forget things.”  Matt started the engine. “No! Right!”