Nan

The Safest Place on Earth

It was a long journey to the Nan Province.  The bus ran slow.  The bus arrived at the 4:00 in the afternoon. Pie asked one of the tricycle drivers to the read the address, the driver nodded and gave her a ride.

It was another long journey ride in a tricycle.  Pie wanted to ask the driver how long this ride takes but she just keep silent and looking to the beautiful mountains and smelling the fresh air.  They stopped at the big blue gate,

“We can’t go inside ma’am; this place is a private property. It’s 350 baht.”

“Okay, here’s the money.  Thank you so much.” Pie nodded.

The driver left.

There’s a small door in a big gate.  Pie went inside.

“This place is huge!” Pie amazed what she saw inside the gate.

There were lots of flowers in the garden, trees, vegetables just scattered on the field.

“What big house, huh?  Pie shocked looking at the house.

“Hey there, are you Pie? I’m expecting you earlier.”  Kim asked her nicely at her back.  Kim, Aunt In’s niece.  A tall, slim and beautiful but she dressed and acted like a man.

Pie was looking where the voice came from and turned around.

“Yes, so you’re Kim, right?”  Pie smiled.  “You live here alone?”

Kim nodded.  “Yes, this place is Aunt In’s but she used to live in a city because she has to live near where her doctor and hospital is.

               “Why alone? I mean why you live here all alone?” Pie asked curiously.

               “Before I answer that question, let’s go inside so that we can eat and chat.”

               “Okay, I’m hungry too.” Pie chuckled.

 

               At the dining table, Pie just stared at Kim’s and Kim at Pie’s. No word coming out from their mouths. The phone rang.  Kim stood and answered the phone.

               “Hello?”

               “Kim? Is Pie there already?” It was Aunt In on the phone.

               “Yes, we’re just finished eating. Do you want to talk to her?”  Kim asked.

               “No need Kim, I know she’s tired from the long travel.  Just say hi to her.”

               “Okay, Aunt In. Bye.”

               “Aunt In says hi, Pie.  She’s just checking.”

 

               “Okay, back to my question, why you live here alone?” Pie repeated her question.

               Kim smiled.  “I just want peace and quiet.  I’m having problems with my family.  It’s personal.  Please understand.  I love this place; I love the trees, flowers and the fresh air.  I’m in love in this place rather than back home. How about you, Pie?  Why you come here?”  Kim asked.

               Pie nodded.  “Well, I just want peace and quiet too like you.”  Pie thought that Aunt In didn’t tell Kim the reason why she came here.

              

               “Pie, I think you need to rest now.  Come, I’ll show you your room.”

               “Okay, Kim.”  Pie smiled.

               “Let me help carry your bag, Pie” Kim asked nicely.

               “No need Kim, it’s just one bag.” Pie smiled.

               Kim and Pie went upstairs, and the first door is Kim’s room.  Kim pointed the third door.

               “That’s your room, Pie.  Let me open for you.”  Pie just followed Kim to the room.

               Kim opened the door and went inside.  Pie just stayed at the door.

               “So this is your room.  Huge, huh.”  Kim smiled. “ That’s the bathroom, and that that door for the balcony.  Well, tomorrow when you wake up, go to the balcony and you will see the most beautiful view in the world.”

               Pie put her bag on the bed.  “Okay, I will.” Pie smiled.

               “So I have to leave you then.  Good night, Pie.”

               “Good night.”  Kim left Pie in the room and closed the door.

               “The most beautiful view, huh. We’ll see.  Sweet dreams, Kim.  Thank you, Aunt In.” Pie talked to herself.