ending stage

About Us

title: ending stage

pairing: kai/krystal

 

 

The stylist is rearranging his hair, clothes and  make up when Jongin sees her frame lingering at the backstage ten minutes before the last stage. Her members are talking to her, about a serious issue, he guesses from Luna's face. When they break away from her, hugs and pats on the way, he knows why. In big strides, he strolls to her side, taking note of how she quietly distances herself from the place. He doesn't let her go just yet, tapping her shoulder. Soojung turns slowly until she meets his gaze.

He greets first. "Hi."

"Hello."

"You did a great job out there."

"You too."

They stand side by side, watching as people run and hurry to prepare for the last stage. Everyone's mouths are open but Jongin doesn't hear any of it. Not when she's around. Not when the two of them tucked away in a dark cornered room. He observes her from his corner view, she's wearing her casual clothes, bare faced and natural and assumes she won't join the last stage.

He doesn't comment on her decision to stay behind. "You want to go drinking later?"

"At the party?" She shakes her head. "No, thanks."

"Why?"

She scowled at him. "You know why, Jongin."

Jongin knows. Everybody knows. Not with them. Not without her. Still, Jongin hopes. Always when it comes to her. "Then... just the two of us?"

"And get smashed like the last time?" An amused smile plays in her lips. "Not a good idea."

"I'll drag Sehun along."  Jongin adds as an afterthought.

"Doesn't make it any better Jongin. Sehun is obnoxious when he's drunk." Soojung hits him in the arm playfully, chuckling. Finally, she smiles. Jongin relishes the tiny fountain of joy dusting her features and hopes it stays for a long time.

It doesn't. Baekhyun comes to fetch Jongin for the ending stage and he, Jongin, doesn't miss Baekhyun's grimace at seeing Soojung and Soojung being visibly uncomfortable at the sight of Baekhyun. Baekhyun leaves with one last glare directed to Soojung.

"I guess I..."

"Have to go." She finishes. The smile she presents this time is no where near the smile she showed him a while ago, this one's a little sadder, lonelier. "Bye."

Jongin doesn't leave right away. He stands, hesitant, and meets her unpleading stare. He wants to tell her he wants to stay, that he wouldn't mind missing the last leg of a concert that happens every few months if it meant being with her for a while. But then he knows she wouldn't like it and they wouldn't like it, so far now he pulls her in for a hug and squeezes her tight. "Not bye. It's see you soon, Jongin."

Soojung smiles a little. "See you soon, Jongin."

They part but not for long.

 

a/n: bbjung didn't go up the last stage at smtown taiwan; i let my imaginations run wild.