Day 4

Silent!!

Of the now two mornings I've had Daehyun as my roommate, this has gotta be weirdest. When I opened my eyes, Daehyun was sitting up and moving my feet away from his shoulders. My head is at the wrong of the bed, why did last night have to be an active sleep. 

Hastily I get off the bed and get ready for breakfast. My phone buzzes just as I am getting a tray for food. Man, can't I have one peaceful morning while I still have a chance to get my voice back. 

Himchan: You in the caf?

Me: Yeah

Himchan: Stay there, we wanna talk to you. 


"Zelo, we can't hang out anymore."

Me: Will you at least let me explain?

"Make it fast"

Me: The ghost of a student who used to go here cursed me, I have 10 days to make someone fall in love with me or I'll never speak again.

"Look Zelo, you're not talking and you're not rapping. You're popularity  has dropped massively and you got us banned from performing in the talent show. Frankly, you're just dragging us down with you. So until you have this sorted out, we're going to find a new friend." And with that Himchan and Youngjae left, without any further chitchat, without even wishing me good luck. I have six days left, no friends, a roommate, not to mention the tension between said roommate and no enjoyable future. Can someone kill me now?

"Yikes, well isn't he just a scream" Jongup says sitting in front of me.

«Why are you here? So far you've only ever picked the worst time to show up»

"Are you saying I'm not good comfort?"

«I'm saying, you're annoying as . Go away!»

"Zelo, you're nearly halfway through your ten days. Now is not the time to be shoving people away"

«You're ghost»

"I was a person once too"

«Oh yeah and how'd that work out for you? Not so well I guess since you let yourself get killed.»

"I killed myself! Because of you"

«It's not like I made you kill yourself. So can you just leave me alone, now?»

"No I can't, let me ask you something do you know why people see ghosts?"

«Just tell me, I don't feel like guessing»

"When people claim to see ghosts, they're seeing spirits who are stuck in limbo, because they have unfinished business. Once they finished their business, said ghost is casted up to heaven or tossed down to hell."

«What kind of unfinished business?»

"Watching over family members, fulfilling a requirement to get into heaven, sometimes just making your self visible so you can give a loved one your one last goodbye." 

«So what's your unfinished business? Something to do with me, right?»

"Ask me again when you're in a better mood. I'll check in with you later"

Well this has been one depressing morning, just bad news upon bad news one after another. As soon as I get back to the dorm, I slump on to the bed. I feel exactly the same as yesterday, only worse. I only have six days and I am losing hope. 

When Daehyun asked what was going on, I needed a lie. Something, I decided to stick with the story: I'm under a bit of stress with my family life and I'm just having a procrastination problem getting my school work done. 

"Don't beat yourself up about it," I also told him I had a breakthrough on my prankster rep and was trying to 'be a better person'. 

"I know what that life is like. Believe it or not I used to be a prankster, like yourself. I did all for the reaction, I thought I could get away with anything if it was worth it for the reaction. To me causing trouble was my only entertainment here." Wow this is a side, I haven't seen much of.

"It wasn't until I got suspended for having too much fun, that my eyes were opened. The principle said if I ever crossed the line again, he'd expel me in a second. So I took up reading instead." There's the Daehyun I know.

"I'm going to get snacks to keep in the dorm you want anything?" I shake my head and turn on the TV. I have a test today, that I'm not even gonna go to, I'm too depressed.

"Alright, well my numbers on the desk if there's something you want after all. I'm gonna go out after so I won't be back for a while." Alright, so I got his number, there's a start. I don't really like him but it's a little too late to find someone else to pursue.

As soon as Daehyun is gone, I my face does a nose dive into a pillow, as small tears fall. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not a cryer. I just need to let out my.. Exhaustion, guys cry too, it's usually just internally.

Me: Daehyun, actually could you get me a tub of ice cream?

Daehyun: Seriously? You don't strike me as the kind of guy who eats their feelings :P do you really want ice cream right now?

Me: I guess not.. Can you get some sushi then?

Daehyun: Sure thing, and hey if you need a distraction I'm going for a walk and could use some company

Me: Sure.. I don't have anything better to do

Was that too harsh? I hope he didn't hear how much uncaring was really in that. I turn back to my pillow and keep crying, this is impossible and I'm acting like a girl right now.

"Wow.. The great Zelo is actually crying, I'm impressed"

«I'm not in the mood right now, Jongup»

"I'm just shocked, I didn't know you had it in you to show this side of you, let alone actually have it"

«I said I'm not in the mood»

"Fine I just thought it'd be in your interest to realize that Daehyun basically just asked you out."

«You're right, for once you're actually useful»

Me: On second thought, meet me by the park. I'll go for a walk with you :)

«Thanks Jongup»

I run quickly and make it to the park just as Daehyun's arriving. The two of us walk around a couple blocks not too far from the college. 

The entire time is boring, we hardly talk, just admire the scenery. Well hate to burst your bubble, but there ain't much scenery to admire in the city. Unless you enjoy afternoon traffic, loudness everywhere and not a single bird chirping, then this scenery is paradise.

Partway back to the dorms I notice how close we're walking together. I wonder if he can chuck that jerk image of me out of his head for a moment, I think and attempt to hold my roommate's hand. Three days we've been roommates, four days I've been at this, I need to get somewhere with this guy. 

At first Daehyun pulls away, suddenly avoiding my gaze. Well this is awkward, I feel almost hurt actually. I'm not usually the one being rejected so I can't say I've learned how to deal with the embarrassment.

"Oh here's that sushi you wanted" He says pulling a container from the shopping bag I hadn't noticed he was carrying.

"Let's go find a bench" I nod, we manage to make it back to the park that we met at before any benches pop up. 

I open my sushi and dig in, my left hand resting on the bench. I'm so distracted by food that actually tastes good, that I almost miss the hand slowly reaching over to take my own. Achieved, I stop eating an notice a weird feeling in my stomach. Maybe this isn't as good of quality as I thought. 

I look over at Daehyun to distract myself, and see he's unpacking food as well. Then it occurs to me that he's holding my left hand with his right.

«How's he gonna eat?» I think to myself, as if hearing me, Daehyun answers.

"I'm left handed" I smile and go back to my food. This is good I'm on the right track.

"Step it up a notch" I hear Jongup say from somewhere behind me.

«Shut up, I'm working on it»

"Offer him some sushi"

«Why!?»

"'Cause it's what good boyfriends do"

I listen to Jongup's advice and offer a piece of sushi to my roommate. He doesn't accept my offer, claiming he doesn't like seafood. 

"I will try some of that cucumber roll, though" he  says reaching over to my container. I bat his hand away and insist on feeding him. 

"Nice one" I hear Jongup encourage in the background.

Daehyun stands, suggesting we leave. We're still holding hands, I feel the knot in my stomach again, I should get to a bathroom soon. I take my hand back and get out my phone.

Me: Race you back

"Your on"