Target

A Bird Without Wings

  "How are we gonna play this, Yunho?" The question was blunt and direct, much like the person who had asked it. He was unconcerned by the between them and the fact that Yunho was his boss. He was one of the best in the gang, partly because of his arrogant attitude. He didn't care what anyone else thought of him or what anyone else's rank was, and that included Yunho.

  "To be perfectly frank with you Mark, I have no idea. Your target is locked, though. You're the only one I trust to not mess this up and I need him gone if we want to have even a slight chance of beating them." Yunho rolled his shoulders back as he spoke. It was a habit he had picked up a few years ago. In all honesty, he was terrified that Mark would refuse to take on the task. Everything he had worked for for ten years was riding on Mark agreeing to take on what he was proposing. Not only was all that hard work and effort riding on this, but Jaehwa's life was at stake. He shut his eyes, silently pleading for Mark to accept yhe challenge he was putting before him.

  "Sure this, Boss. Who is he?"

  "He doesn't look or sound very intimidating," Yunho said. "He's only fifteen, but he's one of the best shots I've ever seen. Never misses his target."

  Now Mark was curious. Who was this boy who got such high praise from Yunho? He had to be seriously good if Yunho said that he was one of the best he'd ever seen. Who was this child who dared to grab at praises it had taken him years to earn? Who was this child who seemed to think he had the right to try to take Mark's rightful place as the best from him?

  "He goes by the name Bambam."

  "Alrgiht. Lets get this started. You all know that Yunho's been pushing into our territory. We need to strike back. Only a few of you know about Jaehwa. She's Yunho's daughter, and she's only seven years old. I intend to use her as a decoy target but our first shot is going to be their best shooters." Yongguk said. "Bambam, come here."

  Bambam stood and walked towards Yongguk. His steps were confident but he was, in reality, terrified. He had no idea what Yongguk wanted from him or what he was supposed to do.

  "Since you are one of the best shots in the gang, your target is Mark."

  "Mark? Bambam stammered. "Like, Mark Tuan? Like, one of the best hitmen in the city. Now, chances are they're sending him to take you out, but you'll have an advantage that he doesn't. Jungkook?"

  The teen stepped forward and pressed an earpiece into Bambam's hand. "Here. Put this on and keep it on at all times, no matter what happens. It'll let me hear everything that's going on around you. Oh! This too." Jungkook took a necklace out of his pocket and pressed it into his hand with the earpiece. "There are cameras in here that'll let me see everything going on around you. Even behind you. I should be able to warn you about almost everything that could happen."

  Bambam nodded and put on the earpiece and necklace. He felt better knowing that Jungkook had his back. Even if he had never directly spoken to the teen outside training, he trusted him with his life. Biting his lip, he stepped forward and hugged Jungkook tightly.

  "What if you-"

  "Shh. Don't worry, Bambam. I can stay up for a month without sleep without my perception or reaction time being affected. He's no gonna get you."

  "I have to kill him."

  "It'll be okay. If you need help, I'll talk you through it. Everything's gonna be okay, Bambam. Alright? I'll get you through this, okay? Just trust me and work with me on this."

  Bambam's shoulders shook and he clung to Jungkook desperately. He trusted the boy completely: a result of hours upon hours of training together and working together. Jungkook was the only one who knew how badly damaged he was, though even he didn't know the full story. What surprised Bambam was the other boy's acceptance: despite all his flaws and scars and how messed up he was, Jungkook had accepted him without hesitation.

  "Why don't you come stay at my house, Kunpimook? My parents are off in Canada and even if they do come back early, they absolutely adore you. Come on, you'll feel better."

  The words and the voice were both so soft and sweet, filled with a tender love that was beyond Bambam's comprehension: a love that nearly pushed him to the point of tears.  Not trusting himself to speak, he  mearly nodded against Jungkook's chest. The latter smiled and touched his kups to Bambam's hair. Yongguk raised one eyebrow and Jungkook shook his head, still hugging Bambam.

  "He's okay, hyung. He's just nervous. Anyone would be nervous if they were up against Mark Tuan. I know I'd be a little freaked out if he was my target, especially if I knew h e was after me too."

  Yongguk nodded in understanding and rubbed Bambam's back gently. Bambam glanced over at him and bit his lip, gathering his courage and stepping away from Jungkook.

  "I- I'm okay, hyung. Really. I just- Can I head out for today?"

  "Of course you can, Bambam. Go get some rest. You start against Mark tomorrow."

 

A/N

Um... Yeah. Not as long as some of my chapters, but now we're starting to get into the action.