Party

Forbidden Love

“I’ll take that.” I reach for the bags but he doesn’t let go.

“I’ll carry them, you’re already carrying enough as it is.” He says. I frown, I’m only carrying two bags and he’s carrying six. I shrug and mount the steps. As soon as N sets the bags down I say.

“Can you just set them on the bed, I want to see if they really do look good.” He nods and takes my clothes out of their bags and puts them on my bed neatly. Then he turns away and starts to cough uncontrollably, “Are you alright?” I ask.

“Yes yes­–” He coughs again this time I can here that he’s really coughing things up, “Fine.” He pants. I walk out the room and fill a glass of water.

“Drink some water.” I hand him the glass.

“Thank you.” He gratefully takes the glass.

“Boy, get something to eat for the princess.” My father says to him, N bows his head, sets the glass down, and hurries out the room.

“Please don’t overwork him, father.” I say.

“It’s his duty, he is required to do this.” My father says.

“But with no rest!” I protest.

“He gets enough rest in the evenings.” He says.

“Yes, chained up, plenty of rest.” I say sarcastically.

“Why do you care for him, he isn’t of any value.” He says just as N walks in with a tray of food. I see hurt on his face which disappears quickly. “I’ll leave now.” Father says leaving the room. I think of something to say but the look on N’s face looks like he wants to be left alone. He sneezes three times and is getting paler by the minute.

“N, are you okay?” I ask stepping towards him.

“Yes, yes, fine.” He moves away slightly. He coughs and then collapses.

“N!” I yell and get him to his feet.

“What’s happened, are you alright princess?” The guard comes rushing in.

“Help me get him onto the sofa.” I say since there’s no way he’s going into that thing called a bed, he slowly lifts N onto his cot, “Thank you, please would you get us some soup, two bowls.” I say. He hesitates but disappears out the room. I feel N’s forehead; it’s extremely hot. I fetch more water and set it on the coffee table. The guard comes in with the soup and sets it on the table. “Thank you.” I bow my head. I take a bowl of soup and set it next to N hoping the smell will rouse him. It does; his eyes flutter open as his nose flares.

“What? I fell asleep?!” He sits up in a flash but then clutches his head and moans.

“No, you passed out.” I reassure him, he tries to get up but I stop him, “Don’t you dare start working now.” I say, “Here, eat.” I give him the soup, which he gratefully takes.

“Thank you but you really didn’t need to.” He smiles. I did, I say in my head.

“Eat your soup.” He does and smiles wider tasting it, it must be the best thing he’s had since he’s been here, “I have a question,” I start.

“What is it?” He asks.

“What is your real name?” I ask.

“Cha Hakyeon.” He says after a few seconds hesitation.

“Nice name.” I smile taking a sip of my soup. I get up and look through my bags to see if anything was left out and I find an envelope; the one Ji-Yoon had given to me, “So are we going to go there?” I ask him, “She invited you too, and you can come if you want.” I add.

“Okay, but only if you want to.” He says.

“I do.” I smile weakly. I don’t but it’s still rude to say no to an invitation.

“When is it?” He asks.

“In two days, I hope you’ll be well by then.” I say. He nods smiling slightly.

“I do too.” He says.

*Day of the Party

“N, lets get going.” I say fixing my dress, N is wearing a red jacket with a black t-shirt underneath. We go downstairs together and he opens the door to the limousine we’re taking for me. “Thank you.” I get in, he gets in as well and sits on the opposite me.  “What do you think about my dress?” I ask.

“You look beautiful.” He says.

“Thanks.” I say, my cheeks redden slightly. We sit in silence for the rest of the ride, when we get there I see that the paparazzi are all over the place. I check my hair and makeup before getting out of the limo and N and I walk past the cameras and into Ji-Yoon's mansion.

“I’m glad you came.” Ji-Yoon comes down smiling at N and nodding to me. “Have something to drink, you can help yourselves on that table.” She points to a table filled with refreshments. I look around to see loads of people around my age dancing and drinking.

“Stay close to me.” I tell N who nods. I grab a glass of champagne and sip it as we walk through the crowd. A girl shoves a glass of something to N who takes a sip, grimaces, and sets it down. “No good?” I ask. He shakes his head, “Maybe this is better.” I give him a cola, he sips it and gives a thumbs up.

“Much better, thank you.” He grins. We make our way to the sofas and I sit down on one while he stays standing but he leans on the armrest. A waiter gives me another drink, stronger this time but good. A figure comes over my way and when he comes into focus I see that it’s Joon, my ex-boyfriend.

“I didn’t expect to see you here Seo.” Joon sits down next to me throwing his arm around me.

“Me neither.” I say wanting to move away but the alcohol must have dulled my mind.

“Go get us some more champagne.” Joon says to N who reluctantly obeys. Joon moves his face closer to mine so I can smell the alcohol coming off him. I try pushing on his chest to move him away but he takes it the wrong way and crushes his lips to mine. I feebly punch his chest but he pulls me closer, I hear footsteps approach.

“You’re drinks sir.” N says in a tight voice. Joon pulls away and digs in his pocket and chucks a few bills on the counter. He downs one of the glasses and keeps kissing me, the smell of alcohol sickens me. I look around to see N staring at the floor with a pained expression, no one else is paying any attention to what is happening. I try hitting Joon again but he still doesn’t budge, I thrash out and hit my glass of champagne knocking it to the floor. N looks up in an instant, I send him a desperate look, help. He walks over to Joon.

“I’m sorry sir but the princess and I must leave, now.” He says. Joon doesn’t react, I try pulling away again, I need air. N pulls Joon off and he lands on the other sofa with a thump.

“You little–” Enraged, Joon tackles N knocking him into a table breaking it in half.

“Stop it!” I scream trying to pry Joon off N. Joon pushes me away onto the floor, my hands land in the broken glass and I gasp in pain and pass out.