Around and Around We Go (Kaisoo)

Once Upon a Never

Title: Around and Around We Go
Pairing: Kaisoo
Genre: angst
Rating: PG-13
Word Count: 1126
Summary: They meet once a lifetime but Jongin can never save him.

 

Jongin pushes through the doors and into the library, relishing in the cool conditioned air. Taking the stairs up two at a time, he finds himself in the children's section. Ducking slightly to keep from attracting too much attention, Jongin finds himself kneeling behind a small bookcase. On the other side of the bookcase is a librarian reading to a group of small children. Jongin can vaguely hear the story, something about a Greek myth, death and marriage. It doesn't really matter to Jongin anyways because his attention is focused on the librarian. 

Dark curls on top of a pale face, complete with a small button nose. A girl asks a question and Jongin can see the heart shaped smile that appears on the thin face.Underneath that collared shirt, Jongin knows theres a small mole on his collarbone and Jongin knows that the man's fingernails are blunt and smooth and he's ticklish when you breathe into his ear. Jongin almost sighs in bliss staring at the male librarian, seeing those pink lips move as he continues reading some tragic Greek myth that really shouldn't be read to children. 

Jongin hasn't seen Kyungsoo since his last life and the realization that the man is right there, right behind the bookcase almost makes him feel nauseous. Carefully, Jongin gets off his knees and then he knows Kyungsoo can see him. Kyungsoo looks up from the book towards the rustling noise and that's when their eyes meet. Kyungsoo's eyes widen in surprise, something like shock and then a glimmer of recognition and Jongin almost cries because its going to be over so soon. He steps through the sea of children until he's leaning towards Kyungsoo who is still sitting in the bright floral armchair and he almost forgets how to breathe. Its been so long since they last met and Jongin knows he only has a few seconds left, a minute at most. 

"Kyungsoo," he breathes out slowly, slowly placing a hand on Kyungsoo's clothed shoulder and the slight touch makes him shudder with want. "Do you remember me?" he asks, pleading and urgent because the glimmer of recognition is gone and he's desperate. 

Jongin watches on with dread as Kyungsoo slowly wets his lips, a small sliver of tongue poking out and he can almost feel the tension in the air. There's not much time left. "Jongin?" Kyungsoo finally whispers, and he collapses on to the ground, the echoing of screams and the quick explosion of a gun being shot. Another explosion and Kyungsoo falls forward as well, eyes widening in pain but there's no shock, no surprise. 

"Next lifetime?" Kyungsoo manages to splutter out along with a mouthful of blood and Jongin barely has time to nod before his eyes glaze over. The book Kyungsoo was reading from is drenched in scarlet and children are heard screaming downstairs as parents try to figure out what exactly happened. 


This time Jongin finds him in the middle of a park, sitting on the swings in a small war infested village. They're both younger, in their preadolescent age and the wrinkles that lined Kyungsoo's eyes are gone, not yet formed. This time its luck they meet, complete coincidence. Jongin hasn't tracked down Kyungsoo through illegal websites nor has he inquired the FBI for assistance. This time when they meet, its innocent and its light, just like their childhood days. 

"Jongin?" the 12 year old boy hears and he turns around because, yes, that's his name. He sees a boy sitting on the swings, lazily swinging back and forth, pushed around by the breeze. Its eerily quiet.

"Kyungsoo," he greets and he's met with a familiar heart shaped smile. The last time he saw this smile was a lifetime ago when Kyungsoo was a librarian and he had traveled across the world to find him. 

They sit on the swings, swinging their legs back and forth trying to catch momentum, their hands linked inbetween them. They're still sitting like that when the bombs are dropped, explosions of fire and color and sound and then they're gone again. Just ashes, drifting in the wind waiting for the next lifetime. 


"Maybe we should give up," Kyungsoo says a few lifetimes afterwards when they meet as old men. Kyungsoo is lying in the hospital bed, kept alive by a beeping machine and Jongin is just slightly better off.

"Give up what," Jongin asks quietly, his voice hoarse and papery and he almost wants to smile. After all, wasn't this his dream. To be besides Kyungsoo when their hairs are white and they can no longer dance around with fate. 

"Next lifetime," Kyungsoo replies, his voice stronger this time. "Maybe its best if you just let me go."

Jongin doesn't say a word but he clutches Kyungsoo's hand tighter in his grip and Kyungsoo understands the message. I'll never let you go


You'll spend a whole lifetime searching for him only to die moments after you find each other. You're willing to give up immortality for this?

Living forever means nothing to me if he's not by my side.


Jongin searches around desperately, walking in circles around the crowded ballroom. His trousers are itchy and tight and the leather loafers he had worn to spite the ladies was giving him blisters. Jongin was about to give up and head back upstairs when their eyes met across the room. 

They meet in the balcony where its quiet and peaceful, the gentle thrum of the music serving to fill the silent air. "May I have this dance," Jongin asks, placing a hand on Kyungsoo's waist, delighting in the soft flush that fills his cheeks. 

"You can have all my dances," Kyungsoo whispers breathlessly as Jongin spins them around and around and around. The chatter of the guests inside have quieted down and all Kyungsoo can hear is the soft beating of Jongin's heart and the puffs of air he breathes out. 

"This lifetime?" Jongin teases, pulling Kyungsoo closer. Their time is running short but Kyungsoo never wants this to end.

"Forever," Kyungsoo replies, gripping Jongin's waistcoat closer as their lips touch. Its a gentle kiss, no tongue, no technique. Just the simple intimate gesture that meant I love you. 

Its poison this time and it seeps in quickly. Kyungsoo can feel the heat rising in his abdomen and he can almost imagine his intestines shriveling up as the pain begins to numb away. "Next lifetime?" Jongin asks and Kyungsoo laughs even though it hurts. 

"Always," he grits out before the pain is too much and he blacks out. He's not scared or surprised anymore because he knows they'll meet very soon. They'll meet in their next lifetime. 

 

 

 

 

pssttt: I love comments ^^ And warning: self promo: could you please check out Close Your Eyes my Sulay fanfic? Thanks~