Like Always (Taoris)

Once Upon a Never

Title: Like Always
Pairing: Taoris
Genre: slight angst
Rating: G
Word Count: 811
Summary: They meet in their own little world and leave their separate ways

 

The two doors slid open with a hiss and Tao walked into the subway. It was past ten oclock and the subway was empty for the most part. A few stray teenagers huddled in a circle outside on the platform and an elderly man sat forlornly a few benches away, leaning precariously on his cane. Sliding into an empty bench, Tao placed his briefcase on the seat next to him. The doors hissed shut and the female announcer's voice sounded throughout the station. 

"Final Destination- Ying Wu Street. Next stop-- Cheng Shang Road."

Tao closed his eyes for a second, letting the stiffness of his bones settle in. It had been a long day at work with the management meeting coming up. He had been running back and forth among the departments carrying messages and arguing with petty workers. 

"Arriving at Cheng Shang Road," the woman's voice sounded again and Tao blinked open his eyes. He should be here if the earlier hundreds of subway rides meant anything. Sure enough a tall man with strikingly blond hair rushed through the doors just as the erratic beeping began and the doors hissed shut. Like always, the tall stranger sat across from Tao, his legs stretched out so far that their feet could be touching if they wanted. Like always, the tall stranger took off his dark sunglasses-- why he wore sunglasses so late at night was anyone's guess-- and blinked at the onslaught of light. Like always Tao let out a silent chuckle and like always the man turned towards him with a curious glance. 

Like every single subway ride before Tao gave the man a bemused smirk before nodding in acknowledgement and like always, the man in turn returned Tao's small smile with a gummy smile of his own. 

There was no small talk, no chitter chatter, just the quiet hum of the subway racing across the city and the background music playing almost hesitantly. A few cars away, a girl in her early twenties and her boyfriend were casually bickering about something of no real value and the old man with the cane shakily stood up to get out of the subway.

"Arriving at Wu Mei Road," the system sounded again and the old man hobbled off. The girl and her boyfriend had stopped their bickering and were now whispering sweet nothings in each  other's ears. With a hiss the doors shut and Tao managed to make eye contact with the stranger again. Another smile.

"Final Destination- Ying Wu Street. Next stop-- Bai Bao Street."

Like always Tao got up slowly, the subway running smoothly until it finally stopped with a gentle whoosh and Tao grabbed his briefcase, steadying himself with a handrail. One last shared smile with the stranger before he stepped out of the two doors and he heard them shut  behind him with a hiss. Without looking back Tao started towards the escalators, once more getting ready to go above ground, back home where his flat mate was waiting for him. Before he reached the top of the escalators, he looked back to where the train had stood. It was gone now, going onwards to its next stop, the final destination. Ying Wu Street. 

He would see the man tomorrow at 10:37 sharp as he walked into the subway, always squeezing through the doors last minute with the dark sunglasses perched on his nose. They would share slightly amused smiles as other passengers walked past, all in their own little worlds. 

The only thing they would ever share would be the realization that the small polluted city they lived in contained both their homes and the subway they took to get home was number 5. They would always meet in the same empty compartment, as everyone else was getting ready for the nights activities and the subways were for once empty and quiet. 

Like always Tao would walk back home once they reached his stop and the man would continue on to Ying Wu Street before he too went home. Tao could always imagine the man going home, sliding out of the doors at the last second as the lights blinked and flashed signaling they were off again. He would pull the sunglasses onto his nose again, the large rims covering more than half of his face. Maybe he would go home to his wife, or perhaps a husband or lover. Maybe he had kids back at home who would tear the sunglasses off his face and plop them onto their own faces and maybe he kissed those kids good night every single day. 

But all that Tao was left with was the view of a large empty tunnel, a large black hole, the subway already leaving taking the man with the sunglasses with him.

But that was okay because they'd meet tomorrow anyways.

Just like always.

 

 

 


I was sitting on the subway today when this idea popped into mind-- lmao I can't really imagine the subway stations in shanghai ever being empty but I think it would be so peaceful. Taoris because idk.