Chapter 7

The New Pretender

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Pretender characters. They belong to MTM, NBC and TNT. No money was involved and no infringements intended. I don't own any of the Korean idols within my story.

 

THE NEW PRETENDER

Chapter Seven:

Back in a hotel...

The next morning saw Kris and Major Eric sitting in Kris's room watching tv and keeping quiet so as not to wake Hye Kyung. Kris was talking to his dad about Hye Kyung.

"I don't understand what Mr. Choi is accomplishing by beating Hye Kyung?" whispered Kris.

"Well, he probably looks at beating her will make her more aggressive." Major Eric said.

"Dad, you should've seen us in the cave. I thought she was going to kill me." said Kris. Major Eric's eyes were wide open.

"What do you mean almost killed you?" asked Major Eric.

"Well, at one point, Hye Kyung held a knife at me, but I was able to break her grasp. But she was pretty strong." Kris said.

"You know, Kris. If they find her they will take her back and then she will be unstoppable." said Major Eric.

"I understand that. That is why I'm trying my best to keep that from happening. But, I think while she is away from the Centre, she seems to act differently." Kris said.

"What do you mean, differently?" asked his father.

"Well, she seems a little more relaxed than when we took her out in the first place." said Kris.

               While they are talking they see a figure standing in the doorway in green pajamas looking at them. Her eyes were red and it appeared that she was crying. Kris motions for her to come and sit by him, but she hesitates for a minute and then she starts to walk over to Kris. She sits down next to him on the couch and looks down. Her long auburn hair falls down covering her face from their views. Kris turns to Hye Kyung and takes his right index finger and puts it under her chin and lifts her head to meet his eyes. She looks at him and a tear starts to drip down her cheek. He wipes it away with his finger.

Kris speaks, "Hye Kyung. What is wrong? Why are you crying?" She doesn't answer right away. Then in a soft voice she starts to speak.

"I thought you guys left me. I woke up and I didn't see anyone. Plus I've been thinking of home." Then she puts her head down.

"Hye Kyung, can I ask you something?" Hye Kyung looks up at Kris.

"Yeah." said Hye Kyung.

"Why did Mr. Choi have one of his men hit you?" Hye Kyung had a shocked look on her face.

She looked at Kris and then at Major Eric. She stood up and precedded to walk behind the couch Major Eric was sitting on and almost reached the door when Kris intercepted her. He stood in the doorway. She looked at Kris and then saw Major Eric get up and start to walk toward her. He moved next to his son.

Then Kris asked her again, "Why did Mr. Choi have one of his men hit you?" She started backing away and looked around for a place to run but there was nothing. The only place to run is blocked by Kris and his father. She looked and found a fireplace poker. She held it up with the point facing them.

She spoke, "I don't care what you say. You both are spies for Mr. Choi. I'm NOT going back. I will kill you before they catch me. So, GET out of my way Kris."

"You know I can't do that, Hye Kyung. Now why don't you hand me that poker and we will talk." said Kris in a calm tone.

"NO! No more talking. I want to leave and go back home and be a normal kid! You will NOT take me anywhere!" Both Kris and his father were getting a little annoyed that they were trying to help her but they understand that she was going through a lot.

Back at the Centre:

Miss Kim went down to see Andy and Jun Jin. She opened the door to find them looking at the computer screen. Both Andy and Jun Jin looked up to see her.

She spoke first, "Andy, can you find where Hye Kyung's parents and grandmother are buried?" Both Jun Jin and Andy looked at one another and then back at Miss Kim.

"Why do you want that?" asked Andy.

"Oh, probably to pin up the address next to Mr. Shim's picture of his tombstone. Just do it." said Miss Kim. Then Andy started punching keys and came up with an address. He wrote it down on a piece of paper for her. Gave her the paper and then she walked out of the room.

Then Andy spoke to Jun Jin, "Geez, I wonder what she wanted that for?"

Back at the hotel:

               Hye Kyung was still standing with the poker towards them. Then all of a sudden she lunged at them but Kris was quicker and pulled the poker from her hands. She stood there with a scared expression on her face. Then she started backing up while Kris and Major Eric started coming towards her. She started running around the couches but was pulled down by Kris onto the floor. Kris rolled her on her belly and took both her hands and tied them behind her back with a phone cord. She was sobbing and pleading for them not to hit her. Kris pulled her up and walked her over to the couch and pushed her on it. She sat there staring at the carpet and shaking. Kris and Major Eric walked into the adjoining room. They were talking in low voices and then came back into the room where Hye Kyung was still sitting. She was sitting on the couch shaking with her head down. She was scared at what they might do to her. Kris pulled a chair in front of her and sat down. He took his left index finger and placed it underneath her chin but she backed into the couch. She was shaking more and not looking at them. Kris looked at her.

Then he spoke, "Hye Kyung, what is wrong with you? What, you think by killing me and my father that the Centre might just let you go? No. That is NOT how they work.You are theirs forever!" His voice started rising and she could tell he was angry at her.

Then, he huffed and moved behind the couch she was sitting on. Kris looked at his father and then they heard the almost unmistakable sound coming from Hye Kyung. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Then she started to cry.

               Kris and his dad looked at each other and Kris sat down in the chair. He looked at Hye Kyung who started to shake and cry harder. He touched her shoulders but she didn't resist and she lunged into his arms and she cried on his shoulder. He tried to comfort her but it wasn't working. Everything that she had kept inside had finally broken free. Major Eric sat down next to Hye Kyung on the couch and started rubbing her back. When she finally stopped crying she looked at Kris and Major Eric and apologized for crying on him. Kris said he didn't mind.

Then Kris spoke, "Hye Kyung...why did Mr. Choi have one of his men hit you?"

Kris looked at Hye Kyung and then she spoke, "Because I was supposed to poison Miss Kim. But, I couldn't kill her. She means so much to me."

Kris and his father looked at each other, then Major Eric spoke, "She means a lot to you? She is trying to get you and Kris back into the Centre."

"I understand that. But me and Miss Kim have started to become friends. And because I didn't kill her I got hit." said a sad Hye Kyung.

At the cemetary...

Miss Kim was driving her car and came into Hye Kyung's town, Shadow Hills, Delaware. She looked at the address and didn't see it right away. Then she saw a sign that showed the way. She drove up to the gates and looked at the address. It read:

Resurrection Cemetary

14 Prospect Lane

               It was the correct address. So, she drove through the open gates and drove up to the church. She saw a priest walk out of the church so she pulled her car on the side of the road and walked up to him. She asked him if he has the names Jung Kyung and Seok Yeong Lee. And Jin Jun Sook. He said he believes he did. They both stepped inside and he searched his records and found the names and the burials. She thanked him and drove up to where the 3 were buried. She searched a while and then came up to the tombstones. This is what she found on the tombstones:

 

Jung Kyung Lee
Loving wife, mother, daughter and friend
You will be missed.
Born: Sept 7, 1972 Died: Apr 4, 2002

Seok Yeong Lee
Loving husband, son, and friend
You will be missed.
Born: Aug 14, 1971 Died: Apr 4, 2002

Jin Jun Sook
Loving mother, grandmother, and friend
You will be missed.
Born: Jan 12, 1953 Died: Apr 4, 2002

Miss Kim looked at all of the tombstones and kneeled on the ground. She sat there looking at them. Then she put a single red rose in front of Hye Kyung's mother, father and grandmothers' tombstones. She sat there for a while and felt a tear rolling down her cheeks. She looked at Jung Kyung's tombstone and whispered, "I'm sorry." Then she got up and walked back to her car.

Back at the hotel:

               Kris and Major Eric have finally succeeded in getting Hye Kyung's trust so Kris untied her. She sat there while Kris and his father went into the next room to talk. Hye Kyung was looking around the room and thought she should take off her necklace when she felt her neck, it was gone. She looked around the room and couldn't find it. So, she figured it must have slipped off somewhere outside. She was sad cause that was given to her by her mother when she was 5 yrs old. She has never taken the necklace off. So, she went and sat down again on the couch. Then Kris and his dad walked into the room and sat down next to her. Then all of a sudden, Kris pulled something out of his pocket. It was a necklace.

He looked at his dad and spoke, "Dad, do you know anyone who wears this kind of necklace?" Major Eric took the necklace from Kris's hands and looked at it. It was made of 24K gold. It had dark green emeralds all around it and a single red ruby in the middle.

Hye Kyung looked at it and spoke, "Kris. That is my necklace." Kris and his dad looked at each other then at Hye Kyung.

"That is not possible. I found this necklace at my brothers' gravesite." said Kris.

"What is your brothers' name?" asked Hye Kyung.

"Kevin. Kevin Wu." he said.

"I was there." Then Kris looked at her, then back at his father.

"What were you doing at my brothers' gravesite?" asked Kris.

"I wanted to see the gravesite of one of the Pretenders. I am sorry about what happened." Hye Kyung said.

Then his father spoke, "How do you know Kevin died?"

Hye Kyung turned and looked at him. "Jun Jin, explained it to me. Cause I accidently watched one of the DSA's and I found Kevin and Kris. And I also found Miss Kim." Kris handed Hye Kyung her necklace back and she put it on. "So, now what are we going to do?" Then, Kris and his father looked at each other.

Kris spoke, "Well, we are going to get you out of here. I'm going to bring you to live with us."

"Live with you? Are you sure about that? After all I have done to you?" asked Hye Kyung.

"Hye Kyung, you may have tried to kill me and my dad, but I know you don't have the heart to do it." Kris said.

"Okay, I will come with you. But, can I see my mom, dad and grandmother one last time?" She looked at Kris. Her eyes started tearing up. Kris looked at her, then nodded.

Back at the Centre:

Just as Miss Kim got out of the elevator, Mr. Shim came up to her. "We just got word where Kris is hiding. I sent some sweepers out there."

Miss Kim glared at him. "You sent them out there without asking me? I've been trying to catch him for years." Then she started to walk away from him.

She almost got to her father's office when Mr. Shim caught her arm. She turned around and glared at him again. "They are at the Dearborn Hotel. And Kris's got Hye Kyung and his father." She ripped her arm out of his grasp and opened the door, only to find Mr. Choi sitting at her father's desk.

She walked in followed by Mr. Shim. She spoke first, "Oh great. Look what the lab rats dragged in. What are you doing in my father's office?"

"Miss Kim, I would be very careful what you say. It's not too hard for the Centre to bring someone down." Then he smiled.

"What is that a threat? Besides where is my father?" asked Miss Kim.

"Don't worry about your father. He is fine. He is taking care of your brother."

               Miss Kim stared blankly at him. Brother? Oh my God. Sunmi's child. She almost forgot about it. Then, Mr. Choi got up along with his oxygen tank and walked past Miss Kim. He stopped, turned and looked at her....then walked out the door with Mr. Shim behind him. She watched as he walked away and then she went to sit down in her father's chair. She collapsed in the chair and thought about the baby. What did her father name him? Where is he? Willl she ever see him? She doesn't know any of the answers. She just sat there silently.

Back at the hotel:

All three got up and walked into the adjoining room when Kris heard a car door slam. He walked over to the window and looked down. Sweepers. He walked away from the window and went over to his dad.

"We've got company. We have to leave now." said Kris.

"Who is it?" asked Major Eric.

"Sweepers." said Kris.

               Kris was moving around the rooms and getting everything they need. Then, he grabbed Hye Kyung's arm and all three walked out of the room. There was no other way to go except down. He spotted the Emergency Exit and they rushed downstairs just as some Sweepers were coming up the elevator. They reached the fifth floor and walked into the hallway. Kris looked both ways and didn't see nor hear any Sweepers. They were walking when all of a sudden they spotted a maid leaving a room. She spotted them and almost screamed until Kriss approached her and looked at her.

He said, "Call the police. There are about seven or eight people upstairs with guns walking around."

Kris turned around and grabbed Hye Kyung's arm again and they walked away along with his father.

               The maid went into the room she just cleared and called the front lobby and told them to call the police. Kris, his father and Hye Kyung took the elevator down to the first floor. Kris peeked out and spotted more Sweepers. Then, Hye Kyung looked and spotted a fire alarm button. She tapped Kris on his back and pointed. He looked at her and then quietly walked over and pushed the button and sounding the alarm. Everyone started leaving the building in a stampede. They mingled in with the rest of the crowd, making sure they don't come close to the Sweepers. As they got outside, Kris looked around and seeing no one there to catch them, he found the jeep and they jumped in. Then, they sped away just as the other Sweepers ran outside.

Back at the Centre:

Miss Kim knocked on a door and waited in the hallway. The next minute Andy opened the door and let her in. She walked in and sat down at the computer table. She noticed that Jun Jin was there too.

She spoke first, "Jun Jin, do you know anything about Sunmi's baby?" Jun Jin and Andy looked at each other and then at her.

Jun Jin spoke next, "Miss Kim, I don't know. After your father took the baby, he went into hiding."

"Oh. I take it you then don't know if it is a girl or a boy?" Jun Jin shakes his head no. Her head drops down. Then she lifts her head and looks at Jun Jin, "You know, I've always been wondering whatever happened to Hyun Seung."

Andy looked at her, "You don't know?"

"No, Andy. I wouldn't be asking that if I knew. So what are you talking about?" asked Miss Kim.

"Hyun Seung. He is here." said Andy. Miss Kim's eyes grew wide open. She got up and walked over to Andy.

"He is here? Where is he? What is he doing here?" asked Miss Kim.

"Well, yes. He is here. He...um...is working right now. He...um...(clears throat)...works for the Centre now." Andy said.

"He what?!" said Miss Kim.

"He's been working for Mr. Choi and your father for some time." Jun Jin says. Miss Kim cannot believe this. All this time she thought that either he left on his own or he was taken. He works for the one place that she tried to leave before. Then she walked back to her seat.

"Does Kris know?" she asks.

Jun Jin answers, "No. He doesn't." Then she got up and left the room.

At the cemetary:

Hye Kyung stood at the gravesite of her mom, dad and grandmother. She stared at them and tears were flowing down her cheeks. She kneeled down and touched each of the headstones. She prayed silently to all three. Then Kris saw one of the priests come walking up to them.

Hye Kyung had her head down and asked, "Who put the roses in front of the headstones?" The priest looked at them and then looked down at Hye Kyung, who still had her back turned to him.

"Well, a very pretty brunette came to me asking if I had the records of everyone who is placed in this cemetary. Then she came here." Hye Kyung turned around to face the priest and she got up. The priest got the first glimpse of Hye Kyung.

He spoke, "You look exactly like her." All three of them looked at each other.

"Excuse me?" asked Hye Kyung.

"You looked exactly like your mother did when she was young. She has the same hair and eyes as you do." She was surprised at what the priest was saying. As the priest was walking away he stopped and turned around. "Oh, by the way. The brunette told me to tell you, sorry. And she said her name was Miss Kim." said the priest.

"Did she say why she was sorry?" asked Hye Kyung.

"No, she didn't." said the priest.

"Thank you father." said Hye Kyung.

"You're welcome, my child." said the priest and then he walked away. Kris turned around and shook his head. His father looked at him.

"Sorry, everytime I hear someone say my child...I remember Mr. Choi." Hye Kyung turned around as she looked at the headstones again.

"Okay. I'm ready to leave."

All three turned around and got in the car and Kris drove back home to see his mom, Minzy and his clone. Just as Kris's car left the church's premises a black car was sitting on the side of the road and a hand holding a cigarette through the open window. Watching and waiting.

 

To be continued...

What did you think of this chapter?

  • Catherine is Hye Kyung Lee
  • Mr. Lyle is Mr. Shim (Changmin Shim)
  • Miss Parker is Miss Kim (Hyuna Kim)
  • Sydney Greene is Jun Jin
  • Jarod Russell is Kris Wu (Pretender)
  • Mr. Raines is Mr. Seunghyun Choi (T.O.P)
  • Mr. Broots is Mr. Lee (Andy)
  • Kyle Russell is Kevin Wu (Deceased brother)
  • Major Russell is Major Eric (Eric Wu) (Kris's father)

Sorry, it has been a long time since I posted a chapter. Been busy with school and work, and other things have been going on. I wanted to post this chapter, because it's been a while. Hope everyone likes it. Again, if you've seen The Pretender, and if you've read my original version of this story on fanfiction.net, you'd get an idea on who is who.

So, if you haven't yet, please read the story, leave some feedback and upvote.

                                                 

                                                                      SUBSCRIBE....COMMENT...and....UPVOTE!!!