Chapter 12

The New Pretender

THE NEW PRETENDER

 

Disclaimer: I do not own the Pretender name. It belongs to MTM, NBC and TNT. No money was involved and no infringements intended. 

 

Chapter 12...

The next day at the motel...

 

Hye Kyung, Maj Eric, Miss Kim, Hyori, Kris, Ethan and Ailee were back in the room where they were last night. They were talking about how they should give Hye Kyung a new identity so that she can get on with her life. Just then Miss Kim's phone rang.

She opened it up and said, "What?"

"Kim, good morning." said JunJin.

"Hi, JunJin. What is it? I'm busy right now." Miss Kim said a little angry.

JunJin was silent then asked, "Is Ailee there with you?" Miss Kim almost dropped the phone.

She was thinking how is it they know who is with her? She looked to where Kris is sitting. Ailee was sitting right next to him. She looked up when she noticed Miss Kim looking at her. Miss Kim spoke, "Maybe. Why?"

JunJin sighed and then spoke, "They are going to come and look for you and the rest of your party."

"Who is coming?" asked Miss Kim. "Mr. Choi, Mr. Shim and your father." She was silent for a few minutes.

Then spoke, "Well, they can come all they want. But, they are NOT going back to the Centre." When she said that everyone looked up at her.

She noticed that and got up and walked by the window. Just as she looked out she noticed a black car pull up by the motel owners home. Then she saw the most horrifying sight. She saw Mr. Choi, Mr. Shim and Mr. Kim  get out of the car. Her heart skipped a beat. She is torn between two hard places. Her head says to give up Kris, Hye Kyung, and Ailee...but her heart says don't.

She said to JunJin, "I'll have to get back to you." Then she hung up. She turned around and everyone was back to talking.

She spoke up, "We are going to have to go."

They all looked up at her. "Why?" asked Hye Kyung.

"It doesn't matter. Let's just get out of here NOW or you three will be going back." They understood and they got their things and Miss Kim opened the front door.

They must be in the house still. So, they all walked out the front door and walked over to the two cars that were parked in front of their motel rooms. Just as she was about to get in the driver's seat she saw them walk out of the house along with the motel owner. They spotted her and she got in the front seat. She put the car in reverse and both cars started to leave the motel houses. She started to go down the road when she noticed at least four cars were parked there waiting for her. It was the sweepers. She turned the car around and found out the other side was also blocked by sweepers' cars. She decided to make a new road...so she started to speed up like she is going to ram their cars when she made a sharp turn and went right past them. Her car with herself, Kris, Hye Kyung and Ailee  and the car behind them has Ethan, Maj Eric and Hyori went right past the sweepers. Mr. Kim, Mr. Choi and Mr. Shim got back in their car and had the driver go after those two cars. The sweepers also got in their cars and started chasing after the pretenders.

The chase...

Miss Kim hit the gas to make th car go faster.  She was speeding down a straight road at 90mph while the car behind her was doing the same. Kris looked back and saw Mr. Kim's car catching up to them. 

He looked at Miss Kim and said, "They're gaining on us."

"I can see that, Kris." She said. Her eyes on the road but also watching Mr. Kim's car behind Maj. Eric's car. She couldn't get her car to go any faster.

Maybe about 3 miles down the road she noticed ahead of her was a roadblock. It was more sweepers. She couldn't move off the road cause there were railings all along the road. She couldn't go off the road. She stepped on the brake and just about hit the cars in front. The sweepers jumped out of the way cause they didn't know if she was going to hit them. She turned the steering wheel so that her side is facing her two pusuers. She saw her father, Mr. Shim and Mr. Choi step out of their cars. Miss Kim and her companions looked to the other side and noticed all of the sweepers aiming their guns at them. There was no way for them to survive. They all stepped out of their cars with their hands up. The sweepers went after them and took them into their own cars.

Mr. Kim walked up to his daughter and said, "Angel, I'm very disappointed in you. I thought you were better than this." He cocked his head to the side. He looked to see where her father was looking and saw everyone that she tried to save. 

She looked back to her father, "No, you don't understand. I was bringing them back." She had a smile on her face but the smile faded when her father wasn't smiling.

"I'm sorry, Angel." Just as he said that a sweeper came up behind her and grabbed her. She started to fight back but he was too strong.

She called her father, "DADDY! DADDY! HELP ME!"

But her father said, "I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do." Then he walked away.

He could hear her still screaming his name, "DADDY! PLEASE HELP ME! DADDY DON'T LEAVE!" He got in his car and drove off. There were too other sweepers that stayed to tie her up and put her in the car. As they led her to their car she was crying and thinking this is over for her. Then she got in the car along with the sweepers. As they drove off, she heard two explosions behind her and saw both cars blow up.

Back at the Centre...

The sweepers took Maj Eric and Hyori and put them in a room. They locked it and walked away. Maj Eric sat down on the bed while Hyori was walking around the room. After a while he looked up and she was still walking and he finally got up and walked over to his wife. He grabbed her and saw that she was crying.

He asked, "What's wrong, Hyori?"

"My baby, will be killed along with everyone else, that is what's wrong." He comforted and hugged his wife and she started to cry on his shoulder. So, he brought his wife to the bed and sat her down and then he sat down too. He just kept trying to comfort her.

Another bunch of sweepers took, Kris, Ailee, Hye Kyung and Ethan and put them in separate rooms. Kris sat down in the room that he used when he was living there. He couldn't believe what he had in there. He looked around the room for a way out and even tried the door but it was locked. He couldn't find any other way out. So, he sat down on the bed and put his head in his hands and sighed. Ailee was in a room that she used when she was there also. It was a gloomy place and she dreaded coming back here. She looked everywhere to find a way out but the door also was locked. She started to look through books and other things in her room for something to use but there was nothing. She finally gave up and sat down on her bed with a sigh and put her head in her hands. Hye Kyung was put in her room, but she was so scared that she just went to her bed and sat down, she pulled her legs up to her chest and started to cry. Ethan was put in his room and he like Kris and Ailee tried to find a way out, but to no avail. He is back here and might have to stay for the rest of his life. He finally sat down, sighed and put his head in his hands also. Miss Kim was brought to a room at the Centre and locked in the room. She looked desperately around to find a way out but there was nothing. So, she just decided to sit down on the bed and hope and pray that nothing happens to Hye Kyung.

In the office...

Mr. Kim walked into his office along with Mr. Choi and Mr. Shim trailing behind him. He turned around as they walked into the room.

"Isn't it wonderful to have the WHOLE family back?" He asked.

Mr. Choi smiled, "Yes. I'm going to go to their rooms and start to get them to understand their stay here."

"That is fine. You may go and teach them. I want them to stay here and become the pretenders that we have always wanted. You can take some sweepers with you incase they become violent."

Mr. Choi looked at him and then walked out of the room with his oxygen tank. Mr. Shim watched him leave. Then he turned to Mr. Kim. 

Mr. Kim said, "You, Mr. Shim, will go visit your sister to try and MAKE her understand that she can't do what she did today." Then he turned around and walked out of the room. Mr. Kim went and sat down in his office chair. 

Going to the pretenders' rooms...

Mr. Choi walked past Kris's room and went straight to Ailee's room. He unlocked the door and opened it. As he walked in, Ailee looked up and saw Mr. Choi enter the room. He looked at her and smiled. He closed the door behind his oxygen tank, then spoke, "Well, Ailee. I'm glad that you are finally home. You don't need to be out in the dangers of that world."

She looked at him and spoke, "Dangers of the world? This place is more dangerous than the world outside this hell hole."

He huffed and then said, "Well, I guess this place didn't teach you any manners."

Then he picked up his phone and called someone to come to her room. Then he walked outside her room and locked the door. A doctor came to Mr. Choi, "You called me to come to Ailee's room."

"Yes. I want you to sedate her so that she will be better mannered tomorrow." He said. Then, the doctor opened the door and walked in along with two sweepers.

The door closed and Mr. Choi could hear Ailee screaming in the room and bodies hitting the walls and then there was silence. The door opened and the doctor and two sweepers walked out. Then Mr. Choi brought the doctor to Hye Kyung's room. 

He said, "Wait, here. I want to talk to her before you come in." Then he unlocked the door and walked in.

He saw Hye Kyung sitting on her bed and she looked up with terrified eyes. He noticed she was crying.

He looked at her, "Well, Hye Kyung. You are finally home...where you belong and this is where you will stay." Then he turned around and walked out letting the doctor and two sweepers in her room.

He heard her scream and then there was silence. The door opened and the doctor and two sweepers walked out. Then he told the doctor that he can leave but stay near incase Mr. Choi calls on him. Then the doctor left. Then, he walked to Kris's room. He walked in and saw Kris look up at him. 

He said, "Kris, I'm glad that you came back here. We've missed you so much. And if you noticed your room wasn't touched."

Kris said, "Yeah well, I was hoping that I would never see this place again."

Then Mr. Choi said, "We will get you back to your normal state. You will be doing the sims again."

Kris just stared at him with deer-in-the-headlight look and said, "I'm NOT doing that stuff anymore. Neither are Hye Kyung and Ailee." 

"Well, sorry to disappoint you. But they will be doing the same things. They won't want to leave now. And that will be the case with you too." Then Kris hung his head.

Then he looked back up to Mr. Choi and asked, "What happened to my parents and Ethan?" 

Mr. Choi looked at him and spoke, "Don't concern yourself with them. They will be dealt with immediatly. As for Ethan he will be doing his training also."

Just as Mr. Choi was going to open the door, Kris asked, "What about Miss Kim? Where is she?"

Mr. Choi turned around and looked at him, "Don't worry about her. She will be dealt with by Mr. Shim and Mr. Kim." Then he turned around and walked out.

He let the doctor in along with four sweepers. He heard some moving around and then some bodies were thrown against the wall. Then there was silence as well. Out walked the doctor and two sweepers. The other two who were bruised, limped out. They all walked away.

Downstairs in Broots' office...

Andy and JunJin were sitting downstairs talking about Kris and all the other pretenders. Then, all of a sudden Andy heard a noise coming from the door, and JunJin went to check it out. He tried to open it but found out it was locked. As he walked away an envelope was slid underneath the doorway. He picked it up and opened the envelope to reveal a note. The note read,

We have finally gotten all of our escaped Pretenders

Your service is not needed right now

We will call on you when we need your help

Same thing for Andy 

Mr. Kim

Then he walked back to Andy and showed him the note. They both looked at each other and sighed. Andy put his head down on his hands which were on the desk. JunJin sat in his chair, took his glasses off and rubbed his eyes. He sighed and then got up to walk around the room. Just then, there was a noise on Andy's computer. It shocked Andy and he looked at it. The word 'Refuge' showed up. Andy called JunJin over to him. JunJin walked over to Andy's computer and saw the word. 

At first he said to Andy, "Kris?" 

Andy looked at him and shook his head no, "It can't be. Kris is locked in his room with nothing." 

JunJin sat down and was silent for a second then spoke, "Another pretender, maybe?" Andy and JunJin looked at each other for a minute and then looked back at the computer. 

In a hotel room in Delware...

A laptop was sitting on a desk showing the word 'Refuge' on the screen. Someone was walking around and putting clothes and other things in a suitcase. The person was briskly going through all the drawers of the dresser picked up some laminated badges and stuffed them in the suitcase. The person looked at the watch on the arm and saw it read '5:30pm' and then walked over to the phone and picked up the receiver. Then the person dialed a phone number and waited while it was ringing.

On the other end a man spoke, "Hello."

Then the person in the hotel had the voice of a man and said, "Refuge." The man on the other end was JunJin. 

He said, "Who is this?" Then the connection was gone. The man hung up and turned around. He was a young man...in his early 20s. He had long brown hair that ended behind the shoulders. His eyes were deep blue. And he smiled and then went over to the laptop, logged off and folded it and put it in the suitcase. Then he got his keys and before he walked out the door he took a look in the hotel room once more and then walked out the door and closed it.

Back at the Centre, in Andy's office...

Andy and JunJin were still talking about the mysterious caller. Andy tried to think of who else would know where the Centre is located and JunJin said, "Yeah, but who knows the word 'Refuge' besides Kris?" They couldn't think of anyone...but kept coming up with saying pretenders.

So, JunJin asked Andy, "Can you look up every pretender that has been here in your computer?"

Andy looked at him then spoke, "Sure. Let me check." For about an hour Andy came up with thousands of names maybe even more that were in the Centre as pretenders.

Then, JunJin asked, "Can you pull up pretenders that were recent in the Centre?" Andy started clicking away on his computer and he came up with four names...which narrowed it down a little.

JunJin and Andy noticed that two of the names are in the Centre right now: Ailee and Hye Kyung. But, there were two other names that JunJin recognized cause he taught them also. One was a girl named Annie. And a boy named Cole.

JunJin says to Andy, "I remember Annie. She was a very smart young girl but she was 'too' smart. She was able to think of ways to get out of certain traps. She thought of many times on how to leave the Centre but unfortunatley the sweepers found her and she was killed." Andy looked at him surprised. 

Then Andy asked, "What about Cole?"

"Well, Cole was very smart as well. I think Cole was even about as smart as Kris. He was able to almost duplicate what Kris did. But, he wasn't able to make them similar." JunJin said.

Then Andy asked, "But what happened to Cole? Is he still alive or is he dead?"

Then, JunJin looked at Andy and said, "I don't know. He was here and then all of a sudden he disappeared. We've looked for him everywhere but it was useless. So, Mr. Kim just left him for dead. Everyone stopped looking for him. So, I presume he 'might' be dead."

Andy looked at him sideways then spoke, "You sound like you are not so sure about that, JunJin."

JunJin got up and walked in front of Andy's desk and said, "I'm not sure." Then he walked to the other end of the office.

In the simulation room...

Day after day, month after month Mr. Choi pushed Hye Kyung to do simulations. If she didn't want to do any...he had one of the sweepers beat her. Then she will do what Mr. Choi asked her to do. He would do the same with Ailee. Ailee was a little more powerful so they had to handle her with care. She doesn't give in easily to pain so they have to find other ways to make her do her job. They threaten to kill her many times. They never do but that makes her do her job. And of course, Kris. Kris of course won't do any of the simulations cause he knows what they will be used for. So, Kris many times would not do any simulations, so he was sent to his room with no food. He would rather starve to death than do simulations. They kept trying to make him do simulations and then finally Mr. Choi got so sick and tired of this he brought in the big guns. He would use electrocute shock to make him work. They would hold him down and Mr. Choi would have one of the sweepers electrocute him a few times until he gives in and he does the simulations. After a while he knows that if he doesn't do what he is supposed to do he will get another electrocute. So, even though he isn't happy about this he is doing simulations that might kill an innocent person. At the end of the day, he is in his room and he starts to sob cause he is doing everything that he didn't want to do.

Guest room...

Miss Kim has been cooped up in the room for a week and she is already starting to get pissed off. She starts to pace the room. And being she is a constant smoking she is getting the aches for a cigarette. She, is getting antsy and can't think of anything to do. Just when she was about to go out of her mind, the door opens. It is her father. She looks at him and he smiles.

Then he says, "You're free to go. But, you are NOT to go near the pretenders, Angel." She didn't have no expression on her face, she just walked right past her father without even giving him a glance. He took a hold of her arm and turned her around to face him, "I don't know what has gotten into you, but this is NOT good to start getting any ideas." He said as his face turned mean. She looked a little frightened and her eyes started to get watery.

Then she spoke, "Well, I'm not the one with the ideas. Oh, and daddy you should really check out the home movies. Mr. Choi is really a man who knows what he's doing." Then she walks away. Mr. Kim looks at his daughter as she walks away and tries to ponder what she meant. Then he walks away. 

Mr. Kim's office...

Mr Kim walks into his office to relax when he noticed that his light on his desk was on. He looked around for anyone but found no one. Then he looked on his desk and saw a manila envelope and he opened it up. He dipped the open part down and out popped three video tapes. Each of the tapes were marked 'Hye Kyung'. He got his tv out of the closet and turned it on. He put the first tape in and saw an image of Hye Kyung in the simulation room. And standing next to her was Mr. Choi. He was trying to make her do a simulation. She kept saying she can't do it. And finally, Mr. Choi called for someone and Mr. Kim  noticed it was one of the sweepers. He was watching and saw that the sweeper named 'John' start to beat Hye Kyung very hard, and making her cry and scream. Mr. Kim could not believe what he was seeing. Then, he took the tape out and got the next tape. He put it in and watched the scene that popped up on the screen. It showed Hye Kyung again, walking into Mr. Choi's room. They were talking and then all of a sudden one of the sweepers slapped her in the face. Mr Kim stopped watching it and couldn't believe what he was seeing. He has been gone for the longest time dealing with his son and never once knew what Mr. Choi was doing. He didn't even want to watch the 3rd tape. So, he decided to go find Mr. Choi. He went to the simulation room but it was empty. He asked one of the sweepers where Mr. Choi was, he said that Mr. Choi was talking to Kris. Then he went to find him and sure enough he was in Kris's room. He opened the door and asked Mr. Choi to come out into the hallway. 

Mr. Choi said, "It can wait. I'm dealing with our first priority."

But Mr Kim said, "NO! I WANT TO TALK TO YOU RIGHT NOW!" Then, Mr. Choi walked out with his oxygen tank. Mr. Kim closed the door., and said, "What is going on here?" 

"Mr Kim, what do you mean?" asked a confused Mr. Choi. 

"I just found three video tapes on my desk in my office. They were titled Hye Kyung. When I watched them, in them you were having one of the sweepers beat Hye Kyung. I thought I told you to make sure nothing happens to her!" said Mr. Kim. 

"Mr. Kim, you don't understand. The way I deal with pretenders who don't want to do what they are supposed to do is I disipline them. But I use the sweepers to do it. That is why they showed that. But, I don't know how you got those tapes." said Mr Choi. 

"It doesn't matter how I got the tapes! I don't want you to use those techniques on Hye Kyung! If I find out that you are using them I will make sure you won't be around the Centre!" Then he walks away leaving a very terrified Mr. Choi watching him. 

Andy's office...

Andy and JunJin were still busy talking about the pretenders that were brought into the Centre and the other pretenders that might still be out there when they heard the door unlock. They both got up and walked to see the door open. And there was Miss Kim. She looked as beautiful as ever. 

They both spoke as she came over to them, "Hi, Miss Kim." 

She just looked at them and then spoke, "Hi. You two. What is going on here?"

Andy spoke up, "Besides the fact that Kris is back in the Centre? Nothing much. Just sitting here trying to figure out how to get out of here."

Then Miss Kim walked up to him, "Nice try. You may be great with computers...but you at lying." Then she walked past Andy. 

"So, Kim, how did you get out?" JunJin asked as Miss Kim sat down in one of the chairs. 

"Daddy came by and got me out of that God awful room. But he also mentioned that I'm not to go near the pretenders." Then she stopped. Everyone was silent and then Miss Kim spoke again, "Really, JunJin, what is going on? I don't believe that you two were doing nothing." JunJin and Andy looked at each other. 

Then he spoke, "We were just looking through the files of all the pretenders and came up with over thousands maybe more that are out there in the world. We found two recent pretenders that are dead." Miss Kim looked at him and was surprised, but she knows there is more than what JunJin is telling her.

Then she got up and walked over to JunJin, "I hope you are telling me the truth, JunJin. I'd hate to do anything drastic cause you and the...rat" she looked over her shoulder at Andy, "might be hiding something." Then she went and sat back down on the chair. JunJin was a little nervous cause he knows that Miss Kim is smart enough to figure it out. 

To be continued...

Sorry, it's been a LONG while since I posted another chapter. It's a little lame, but oh well. What did you think of this chapter? 

Again if you've read my original story featuring the people from the TV show, you know who is who. I know it's confusing, sorry.

Catherine as Hye Kyung Lee (OC)
Mr. Lyle as Changmin Shim
Miss Parker as Hyuna Kim
Sydney Greene as JunJin
Jarod Russell as Kris Wu
Mr. Raines as Seunghyun Choi
Mr. Parker as Jinyoung Kim (I changed the last name to Kim instead of using Park)
Mr. Broots as Andy Lee
Major Charles as Eric Wu
Margaret Russell as Hyori Lee
Alexia as Ailee
Ethan (Kris clone)

I can't believe there are 2 more chapters left of this story. Thank God. It's so hard to change the names and edit what I've written. Maybe, later down the road, I might redo this story, to make it sound a little better.

 

Anyway, if you like it please....

 

                                                     SUBSCRIBE...COMMENT...UPVOTE!!!