Chapter 9

The New Pretender

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Pretender name. They belong to MTM, NBC and TNT. No money was involved and no infringements intended. The only characters that I have soul right to is Hye Kyung. Neither do I own any of the Korean idols listed in this chapter.

 

THE NEW PRETENDER

 

Chapter 9:

 

That afternoon at the Wu household...

 

Kris, his father, his mother, sister and Hye Kyung were at the house. Kris was pacing while the rest of the family and Hye Kyung were sitting on the sofas and chairs. It was quiet in the house but there was also tension in the room.

 

Finally Hyori spoke, "So, Hye Kyung. Why did you run away?" Hye Kyung didn't say a word.

 

"My wife asked you a question, Hye Kyung." Major Eric said in a stern voice.

 

Hye Kyung finally looked up but had no expression on her face. "I don't know why. I guess I'm afraid of meeting my real parents. I've only known the other family."

 

"But, that doesn't make it right to just run off." Kris said.

 

"Kris you and your family don't understand how this makes me feel." snapped Hye Kyung.

 

"How what makes you feel?" asked Kris.

 

"Having a nice family and a great home." said Hye Kyung.

 

Kris stood in front of her, "But that still doesn't answer my first question."

 

Hye Kyung looked deep in Kris's eyes and spoke, "Kris, your life at the Centre was a lot better than mine."

 

"How so?" asked Kris.

 

"Mr. Choi and Mr. Shim might have done things to you...but they never beat you." Kris and his family looked at her. "You don't know how it feels to do something right and not get rewarded for it...just get thrown back into the cell. Or do something wrong and get beaten because of it." Hye Kyung stopped to struggle with the tears that so desperately wanted to come out. "And besides, I got beaten cause I didn't kill Miss Kim. But the thing is...I didn't want to kill her. I like her." Everyone looked at Hye Kyung with strange looks.

 

Kris spoke, "But, she is hunting you and trying to bring you back to the Centre...along with me."

 

"I understand that...but when she came into my room at the Centre and comforted me I knew that she has a good heart." Everyone was speechless when Hye Kyung said that.

 

Back at the Centre in Andy's office...

 

Andy was on his computer while Miss Kim was sitting in a chair pouting and Jun Jin was walking around with his cellphone in his hand.

 

Miss Kim broke the silence, "I can't believe that I lost her."

 

"Don't worry, Kim. She'll come back." said Jun Jin.

 

Miss Kim looked at him with a mean look in her eyes, "What do you mean? She won't come back for anything."

 

"Are you so sure?" asked Jun Jin.

 

Miss Kim turned her back on him and then looked at him again. This time she really looked in his eyes, "What are you getting at Jun Jin?"

 

"Just think about it? She may not come for any reason. But if something happened to you...that might change it." She was a little surprised from what Jun Jin said. She turned around again slowly and walked away.

 

Then she turned around and spoke, "Jin, I thought you didn't want her to stay in the Centre?"

 

"Kim, I know how close you are to Hye Kyung. And I do know that she would do anything if something happened to you." said Jun Jin.

 

"So, what, you want me to stage my death?" asked Miss Kim.

 

"Yea. You do want to see her again, don't you?" asked Jun Jin smiling.

 

"Yea I do. But I don't want her to have to get the treatment she was getting while staying here. And I know for a fact she will hate you for the rest of her life." she said.

 

"I don't want that little girl to have the same treatment either but seeing you here moaping around and pouting I figured that is the only other thing." said Jun Jin.

 

"Unless I find her and see her once more." she said.

 

"Of course, you'll probably see Kris there. What will you do if you see him, Kim?" He said as she looked at him in his eyes.

 

Back at the Russell house...

 

Major Eric and Hyori were packing some things for Hye Kyung that Hyori gave to her that used to be Minzy's They put the suitcases in the trunk and shut it. They both looked over at Hye Kyung who was wearing a very pretty white blouse with a pretty pink bow in the middle and a light blue skirt that came to her knees. She walked hand in hand with Kris to his parents. She stopped as he tried to get her in the car.

 

Tears started forming in her eyes, "Please, don't make me go to them. I want to stay with you. I won't be any trouble. Please." She was begging which was hard for Kris.

 

He knelt down to Hye Kyung. "Honey, you can't stay here. You need to go to school and I don't want anyone to find you here cause then I'll get caught. So, please just come with us."

 

"I don't even know them. They are complete strangers. My parents taught me never to talk to strangers." said Hye Kyung.

 

Hyori walked past Kris and came by Hye Kyung, "Baby, don't worry. I'll keep in touch with you. If you want to talk you have my phone number." Hyori took her hand and started to walk with her when she pulled her hand out of Hyori's hand.

 

They all looked at her but then Kris gave her a mean look, "Get in the car!" She was terrified then she did what he said. She got in the back seat along with Kris and they drove away.

 

Back at the Centre in Broots' office...

 

Miss Kim walked over to Andy who was still on the computer. "Andy I want you to look for Hye Kyung's family. I want to know where they live." Andy started typing and after a few minutes he found a file.

 

He opened it and found Hye Kyung's parents. He called her over to him and she took a piece of paper and a pen and wrote down the address...1957 Court Centre Rd. Denver, CO. "Good. I think I'll pay them a visit when Hye Kyung gets there. I know everyone will be surprised to see me." She then turned around and ran out of the room.

 

Andy looked over at Jun Jin and spoke, "Well, Miss Kim is going to Colorado. I don't even know if this is Hye Kyung's real family."

 

"Why do you say that, Andy?" asked Jun Jin.

 

"Well, her father did time in prison for 3 years for highjacking a car. And his wife was in jail for stealing. And look at this." Then he showed Jun Jin the last name. It was not Lee.

 

"What? The last name is not the same as Hye Kyung's." said Jun Jin.

 

"No. So, the people Miss Kim, Kris and Hye Kyung are going to meet are criminals." Jun Jin, picked up his phone and dialed Kris's phone number. "Oh and Jin, they never had a child."

 

In Major Eric's car driving to the airport...

 

Kris's phone rings, he picks it up, "Kris."

 

"Kris, good to get you. You must not bring Hye Kyung to the Lee family." said Jun Jin.

 

"Why not?" asked Kris.

 

"Cause Andy just checked in his computer and found out that the man changed his name recently cause he and his wife are criminals." Jun Jin said.

 

"Well, don't worry about this...I've got everything under control." Kris said.

 

"Well, you may not have everything under control. Cause Miss Kim will be meeting you there as well." Kris looked stunned when he heard this.

 

Back at the Centre in Andy's office...

 

Jun Jin was trying to get Kris to understand what is going on. But Kris won't listen to him. Kris got so frustrated with Jun Jin that he hung up the phone.

 

Jun Jin looked at Andy and said, "I've got to get Miss Kim away from them." Then he turned around and ran out of the door leaving Andy sitting at his desk by his computer looking at an image of Hye Kyung's fake parents and noticing something else that really disturbs him.

 

At the Delaware airport...

Major Eric walked up to the ticket counter with the rest of the bunch. He talked to the ticket agent about going to Denver, Colorado for 4 people. She looked it up and gave him the price. He paid in cash and they showed their IDs except for Hye Kyung. They got their boarding passes and started walking to the gates. They all sat down and waited for the gate agent to announce to start boarding.

 

About 6 minutes later...the gate agent opened the jetway and announced by seat row and everyone got up. Their seat numbers were called and they boarded the flight. They got in their seats and buckled themselves up. They were all sitting side by side on the plane ready to finally meet Hye Kyung's parents in Colorado. Kris knew that it was ready for take off cause he heard the engines start up and then they felt the jolt and the plane took off. Soon they were flying in the air towards Colorado.

 

2 hours later...

 

Hye Kyung's party finally arrived at Denver International Airport. They rented a vehicle and drove to the address that Jarod had found. It took them about an hour to find the home. They sat in the car and then they all got out and looked at the house. Kris walked around to the other side of the car and took Hye Kyung's hand and walked up to the front door. Kris pushed the doorbell and waited.

 

Then a young woman came to the front door, she asked, "May I help you?"

 

"Yes, my name is Kris Kim. I think you are the parents of Hye Kyung." Then he pulled Hye Kyung from behind him so that both girls could look at them.

 

Then the woman screamed, "Oh, my god. You found her. Oh, my poor baby, are you ok?" Then she got out of the house and walked over to Hye Kyung hugged and kissed her. She brought Hye Kyung inside the house and thanked Kris. She closed the door and Kris walked back to the car. His parents knew that he wasn't too happy about what he did.

 

Back at Andy's office...

 

Andy is looking at the picture and then notices the part of the bio for what and where the people worked. He noticed it said that they work at a top secret building in Delaware. So, he looked further in the bio and found out that the people that is supposed to be Hye Kyung's parents are in fact employees of The Centre. They were put there as stand-ins for Hye Kyung's parents so that The Centre can finally get her back. He doesn't like this so he calls Jun Jin. He tells Jun Jin about the fake parents and that they are employed with The Centre. Jun Jin told Andy that he will call Kris and if Andy could call Miss Kim and tell her what is going on.

 

In the Wu rental car...

 

Kris was looking out the window while his parents were sitting in the front seat. There was silence in the car. Kris kept thinking about Hye Kyung and how much fun he had with her and how disappointed his clone will be when Hye Kyung doesn't come home with them. Just as he was about to doze off his cellphone rang. His mom looked over her shoulder and he smiled.

 

He picked up his phone and spoke, "Kris."

 

"Kris, good. I just got off the phone with Andy. Where is Hye Kyung?" Jun Jin asked.

 

"Well, I just brought her over to her parents house. Why, Jun Jin?" asked Kris concerned.

 

"Because Andy just found out that those people are employed with The Centre. Her parents were infact dead. Those people are imposters. And you gave them Hye Kyung which is what they wanted." Kris looked out the window and was silent for a minute.

 

"Are you sure about this?" Kris asked.

 

"I'm very sure. Andy would never lie to me about anything. And the worst thing is that Andy is trying to get a hold of Miss Kim." Kris thanked Jun Jin and then put his phone down.

 

He sighed and then told his dad to turn the car around and go back to the house. So his dad turned the car around and drove back. Kris jumped out of the car and ran to the front door. The door was locked so he broke a small window and opened the lock. He walked inside and noticed there was no furniture. He looked around and found a note on the floor. He went over to the note and picked it up. It had his name on it. So, he opened it and it said:

 

Kris,

 

851216 135! 2085 351420185 919 21891479147 135 21311!

 

913 7159147 2015 114 16124 121144151454 23118581521195

 

1452420 2015 2085 16124 19161149198 38211838.

 

251521 1185 2085 15141225 16518191514 9 2018211920.

 

Hye Kyung

 

Kris just stared at the note and tried to figure out what all the numbers meant. So, he left the house and walked down by his parents still waiting in the car. He got in and his mom and dad turned around.

 

Hyori spoke, "Honey what is it?"

 

"Well, I just found this note sitting on the floor. It's for me. But I'm trying to figure out what all of these numbers mean." His mom looked at it and she was clueless so she handed the note to Major Eric and he couldn't figure it out.

 

Then he handed it back to Kris. "Well maybe I'll figure it out soon." Then his dad drove away. Kris remembered that he has his laptop with him. So, he was writing on the computer and messaging someone. Then his clone's screen name popped up. He was trying to ask his clone what all of the numbers meant. So, he put in all the numbers as it shows on the note. And he added the exclamation points and periods in the same places. There was no word from his clone for a while. Then he got a message. It was a picture/voice message. He clicked it and his clones picture popped up.

 

"Hey, Kris what do you make out of that?" asked Kris.

 

"Well, from what I noticed it looks like the alphabet." he said.

 

The older Kris just looked at him and then said, "What do you mean, the alphabet?"

 

"Well, just look. I found that the numbers 135 make the word "me" and it appears twice in the note." So, after the clone gave Kris the idea he said goodbye and then started putting everything together. Here is what he came up with:

 

Kris,

 

Help Me! The Centre is bringing me back!

 

I'm going to an old abandoned warehouse

 

next to the old Spanish church.

 

You are the only person I trust.

 

Hye Kyung

 

He couldn't believe what he saw. Now he knows where they have taken Hye Kyung. He tells his dad to turn the car around again and find the old Spanish church.

 

Back at the employed Centre house...

 

Miss Kim parked her car on the driveway and got out slowly scanning everywhere and everything. She took her gun out and cocked it too. She walked over to the front door and opened it up. She looked around and noticed that all the furniture was taken out of the house in a hurry. Then she noticed something on the floor. It was an envelope and it had "Kris" written on the front. She looked around and couldn't find anything showing that Kris had been at the house. So, she walked back outside and into her car. Then she pulled out and drove away...not noticing that someone was looking out the upstairs window overlooking the road.

 

Back in the Wu rental car...

 

Major Eric finally found the old Spanish church, stopped the car and sat there.

 

Then Kris opened the door and was about to get out when his mother stopped him, "Son, why do you have to do this? Let your father do it."

 

"Mom, if I let dad do this, Hye Kyung will be killed and I don't want to do that. Besides Miss Kim would really have my head if anything should happen to Hye Kyung." Both his parents looked at each other and then back at him then they remembered what Hye Kyung said back at their house.

 

He got out and closed the door. He told them that if he is not out in an hour to leave. His father wouldn't hear of it...so Kris left it at that. Then he turned his back and walked toward the church. His parents watched as he walked away and his mom started getting tears in her eyes. So, Major Eric comforted her. They watched as he opened the doors and walked into the church.

 

Inside the old church...

 

Kris walked inside and he could smell that there has been no one in the church. There were cobwebs everywhere. Dust was hanging and sitting on everything. The stained glass was broken and pigeons where flying around. He looked up and saw a hole in the ceiling. He stopped and looked around. Everything was quiet. Just then he spotted Hye Kyung's sweater that she was wearing. He grabbed it and walked through a doorway.

 

He stopped and called out, "Hye Kyung!" He waited. No answer. "Hye Kyung! It's me Kris!" He waited again and still nothing. Then someone fired at him but missed.

 

It hit right behind him. He ducked out and looked to see where the shot came from. He could just make out someone walking away with a rifle in their hands. He slowly got up when all of a sudden another shot right above his head. "What is it with you? I'm here for Hye Kyung!" yelled Kris.

 

"Well, I'm after you, Kris!" a female voice called out. He didn't even lift his head and then another shot rang out above his head.

 

"Who are you and what do you want with me!" called Kris.

 

"Oh, come on, Kris! You're smarter than that! You know what I'm after!" yelled the female voice.

 

"You want me!" called Kris.

 

"That is the whole idea!" yelled the female.

 

"Well, then let the girl go and you can have me!" He waited but nothing.

 

"You want to know who I am!" yelled the female.

 

"Well, I would like to know!" called Kris.

 

"My name is Jessica and I was hired for The Centre! I was supposed to be the huntress looking for you...but miss goody too shoes ended up getting it." yelled Jessica.

 

"Miss Kim!" he called shocked.

 

"Yep. That was not supposed to have my job. I did better than her and her father favored me over her anyway!" yelled Jessica laughing.

 

"But you got caught stealing! Mr. Kim needed someone who could take the job!" called Kris.

 

"Well, it shouldn't have been her. She couldn't catch a fly even if it landed on her nose!" called Jessica.

 

"Now I know Miss Kim can be mean at times but she is a good person!" called Kris.

 

"Good person! She is a daddy's girl!" Jessica said.

 

"Come on, Jessica! We can't stay like this forever!" called Kris.

 

"Maybe you can't but I can! Besides I already called The Centre. They're coming over right now to pick you up!" Kris sat back and was a little frightened. He didn't want to go back to the Centre. He already found his family and the last thing he wants is to go back.

 

All of a sudden he felt a hand on his back and turned around to see his father. "What are you doing here?" He whispered.

 

"I'm here helping you." Said his dad. "Where is Hye Kyung?"

 

"I don't know. The woman named Jessica has her hidden somewhere. But I think there's more than just Jessica." said Kris.

 

Major Eric sighed and said, "Well, I'll go search for Hye Kyung. You stay here and deal with Jessica."

 

Kris nodded and watched his dad leave quietly.

 

Outside the church...

 

Miss Kim was driving when she spotted a car that looked familiar. She peered inside and saw that it was Hyori. Bingo! So, she turned into a parking space and parked the car. Then she got out and started walking toward the church. Hyori saw her and was a little scared but also relieved. Miss Kim walked into the front door and looked around. She took her gun out and cocked it. As she was walking she heard voices in another room. The voices grew louder as she walked through a doorway. She peered inside and saw Kris in front of her and across the room was the fake parent. Kris looked over at her. She pointed the gun at him. He looked at her and mouthed for her to go find Hye Kyung. She understood what he wanted her to do. She moved back and went searching for Hye Kyung. She started searching each and every room looking for Hye Kyung when all of a sudden she came face to face with Major Eric. She pointed her gun at him and he just stood there.

 

"Well, I finally got you and Kris." said Miss Kim.

 

"Miss Kim, right now is NOT the time to catch either one of us. I'm looking for Hye Kyung." Major Eric said.

 

"Well, so am I. But, I'm looking for her alone. You will be sitting here tied up so that I can bring you back to the Centre with me." she said smiling.

 

"I know about you and Hye Kyung." Major Eric said.

 

"Like what?" She said as she looked for some rope or cords.

 

"She told me how you have comforted her when she needed it being that no one would have done that." said Major Eric.

 

"Well, at least I showed her something. All you and Kris wanted was to capture her." Miss Kim said snarling.

 

"We showed comfort to her. That is why she is able to be with us. Why can't we just talk about this face to face?" Then all of a sudden he heard some movement and he looked up to see Jessica standing up with the rifle resting on her arm. He got up also and looked at her noticing she didn't see them.

 

Inside one of the room in the church...

 

Miss Kim was still looking for some rope or cords and Major Eric was talking. After a while she got fed up with him and said that she will make peace only to look for Hye Kyung. After that she will be hunting for them. He made the deal with her. They both started looking through the different doorways. There must be at least 30 doorways in this old church. They decided to separate which would be easier to find her. As they were searching for Hye Kyung they heard 2 shots ring out in one of the rooms and then a scream came from another room. They both looked at each other but couldn't figure out which to go to first. They decided to go to the room with Kris. They reached the room but no one was there. They searched and found a puddle of blood by a doorway. Whose blood is that? Jessica's or Hye Kyung's?

 

To be continued...

Another chapter. Sorry that it took me awhile to get another chapter done. I have school and other things going on. I hope you like this chapter. After reading this chapter, I'm thinking about rewriting the story, but it's still only going to have 14 chapters. 

Again if you've seen the TV show, you'd know what is going on, but of course I changed the names to fit the Korean feel. If you've read the original story on Fanfiction.net, you'd see the changes. Here are the characters:

Catherine - Hye Kyung Lee (OC)
Miss Parker (Kim) - Hyuna Kim
Sydney Greene - Jun Jin Park
Jarod Russell - Kris Wu
Mr. William Raines - Seunghyun Choi (T.O.P)
Broots - Andy Lee
Major Charles - Eric (Mun) (Father)
Emily - Minzy (Sister)
Margaret Russell - Hyori (Mother)
Mr. Lyle (Shim) - Changmin Shim

Thank you for staying with it and waiting for the next chapter.

 

                                                      SUBSCRIBE...COMMENT...UPVOTE!!!