Trīgintā

Silver Aura
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The dark of the night glowed-- red for the blood and orange for the fire the sides of the bus and the pavement.

Some time that night, I felt myself transform. Maybe that’s how I recognized the girl immediately. No one noticed my change because everyone was too distraught and taken by the accident. 

I changed back just in time. My heart settled but my stomach drops when I smelled the coppery scent of blood. Jaehwan his pale lips. At first, he didn’t want to help me but as my steps drew closer towards the girl, he joins me.

Some uniformed man asked me for my relation to the victim. I told him I was a friend. He ignored me after that moved on to help his colleagues revive her. They checked her pulse and listened to her breathing.

They carried her away in an ambulance but still refused to take me and Jaehwan. I stood by, looking at the wreckage. The fires were already put out and I felt my adrenaline catch up to me. My legs and arms shook as Jaehwan asks what hospital the ambulance was headed.

This is so infuriating. I paced the pristine, well lit and ventilated hallway leading to ICU. Jaehwan was seated, eyes darting from me to the door forbidden to be opened for us. Some time after the walking has exhausted me, Jaehwan takes my hand and pulls me to the chairs. I shake my head and pull my hands free from him. I walk up to the closed door and peek through the small transparent circle of glass.

I was suddenly reminded of my little brother when we walked to town with mother. When I was a kid I would take my mother’s hand and with her in tow drag her to the only toy shop in our place. I would only get a glimpse of the display window when mother would pull me back. When I grew up, my little brother did the same thing. His nose pressed to the glass, palm prints disturbing the spotless glass. He would pull mother successfully towards the glass and almost to the door but when the owner spots his palm prints, he shoos us away earning a glare from mother and a sad glance from my brother.

That continued for 4 Sundays, until the shop owner chased us away with a broom.

 

“Angel!” Finally, he’s here. I turn around, sure about the voice I heard.

“Quick, tell them to let you in.” I point to the door. He shuffles to me, chest heaving and bullets of sweat trickling down his forehead. Jaehwan stands approaching us, he extends his hand to introduce himself but the situation is dire that Ravi managed to ignore, not on purpose of course.

The room was the epitome of silence,well, except for the constant beeps of the machines beside the patients. Ravi was first to reach his sister, he clasped her hand and I managed to inch away. The tubes inserted to her did nothing but churn my stomach and spin the room around.

“You’re gonna be fine.” Ravi whispers to her, repeating the mantra, sometimes his voice rising in volume, sometimes dropping that I can’t even hear him. Just minutes after my stomach and head settles another disturbance occurs.

Beep…… Beep…… Beep…… Beep…… Beep…… Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..………………

What’s happening?

As soon as my eyes hits the corner of the sectioned off area for Ravi’s sister, doctors and nurses alike rush into the area, some lead us away but I resist along with Ravi.

“Please, let us stay. Please.” I plead clutching my arm on the most pleasant looking nurse. He rushes back forth, grabbing things then pushing Ravi towards the door, I was convinced he was not going to listen to us.

“Please…” Ravi echoes me.

“Sorry miss, its protocol.” He mumbles, eyes not meeting mine.

I hate this!

I grab the nurse by the arm again and I held on tight, this grabs his attention. I face him, and repeat my request. My eyes were watering but that’s not entirely part of the plan. I will for him to agree and I will for him to nod. He nods and offers a small smile but I couldn’t acknowledge him for it, I was busy flying to the foot of the bed.

I wrung my hands, calling for Artemis. It’s an impossible feat, especially since I didn’t have any drachmas on me. But still, I whispered into the sterilized air of the hospital.

They were still practicing CPR on her, trying to revive her. I whispered, mumbled and moaned for hel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter