ūndēvīgintī

Silver Aura
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Living like a Hunter is indescribable. Our realm is untouched by humans; it is the epitome of paradise. We Hunters are accustomed to life without many man-made devices, nature provides us what we need and that is enough.

However, life in our realm is frozen, stagnant, not much changes. We are trapped in our own little bubble, like a snow globe that no one bothers to agitate. Time stands very still almost unmoving, for some it’s the stability of our realm that assures them but for me, it’s the stability that induces fear in me.

What I fear is revealed before me as I opened my eyes. Time standing still, people unyielding and not a single hum can be heard. Hyuk and Ravi’s hands touched the air where I used to stand.

My lungs froze, seeing that time stood still and a sharp inhale shocks me and times wakes. The inevitable silence turns into sharp sounds that causes disarray in me. I hid myself from Hyuk’s and Ravi’s eyes and started home.

 

I should not be angry.

Yet here I am, reclining on the sofa, brooding over how my punishment has been extended. The television tuned into a news channel only served as a distraction to the ballooning lump of emotions swelling in my heart, in my throat, everywhere.

My fists ball up and give the TV a side glance. Everything feels so annoying right now, even the clear and direct voice of the news anchor wants me to fling a heavy thing to the TV just to break it.

“I’m home.” Mother need not inform me, first of all I heard the car and with her voice feeling so glum, why bother? She mutters something while putting her bags away, seeing my lying form on the sofa with a blanket over me.

I don’t even have a clue as to what she said but her underlying tone made me even more annoyed and to make matters worse, mother keeps mumbling on how she’s sick of teaching and she wants to retire quickly.

She kept on with her complaining as her hands worked to prepare dinner. I crumpled up my blanket and stood, my thoughts teetering between helping her and leaving for my room.

I picked the latter and convincingly my mind just kept on with these thoughts approving of my decision. I wouldn’t want to slice off my fingers if ever I would help my mother while zoning out.

 

It seemed like Queen mother didn’t even expect my return. The toothpaste frothed in my mouth and spilled over my lips, too preoccupied to spit out.

How can they return me to this place? My eyes roamed the bare ceiling, travelling to every corner and back again in a pointless cycle.

I’ve learned something, have I not?  I tried to convince myself, ignoring the numerous phone calls and text messages I am getting.

With my thoughts keeping me up, I decided to just go with it and deconstruct my situation. I grab a blue pen and paper, writing viciously and frowning as I see my awful handwriting. My forearm stiffens and begs me to slow down for the muscles to relax and ease the discomfort.

I bit my lip, going over what I wrote. Leo and Hongbin, when their eyes met, I almost transformed. If not for Hongbin leaving I might have turned wholly. After that Leo was in a daze, looking like he wanted to kill me.

Hyuk and Ravi are almost the opposite of Leo and Hongbin. I did not feel like I will transform when their eyes met but when they both touched me, the next blink of my eye was in the Hunters’ realm.

A few hours before daybreak, my mind is still buzzing me awake with thoughts but I dragged myself to bed hoping the few hours of sleep is enough. The air, coupled with the dim light turning to bright sunlight streaming through my open window and semi-opaque curtains never allowed me a wink of sleep.

I rest my forearm on my forehead and my eyes again skim the ceiling. Instinctively, I search for my scar. The scar I got from biking with Hongbin, to my dismay it healed very quickly and vanished after my short visit to our realm. 

“Danbi, wake up. You’re gonna be late for class.” Mother steps into my room and my eyelids fall, I steady my breathing pretending to be asleep.

I resist the urge to groan and she stood beside me, waiting for me to wake. She sighs and mumbles the same words to wake me but as I have decided to stay on the bed, I have decided not to go to school.

 

Make her proud.

Queen mother’s words, engraved in my mind. How? Will I be able to?

My body remains seated during the morning, nothing to take up my time except for my books. Studying seems to do the trick, it sorts the tangled thoughts in my head and for a short while, I have peace.

I look over to my windows, wal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter