Duodētrīgintā

Silver Aura
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Eyes open, face pale and green. The tubes still connected to him and the stranger has long gone. Father was awake and I was just in time.

I wanted to say something, anything but instead I just sat where I usually sat in the sad corner of the room and stared.

As the minutes waste off with my seeming indifference, the color on his face inches closer to being healthy looking, especially when he turns to talk to mother.

Ravi slides the door open and situates himself at the other side of the bed offering mother a drink. It looked like coffee. I looked on, waiting how mother would react.She accepts the can graciously then turns to me with a small smile, giving the drink to me.

Ravi sets down the remaining drinks next to me while I open the can in my hands. He places his cap low on his head and bows saying his goodbyes but not before giving me a sad look.Mother saw it, I saw it, even father saw that look. The look of defeat when you think you passed an exam but really you epically and magnanimously failed.

Mother turns to me with a quiet curiosity. I avoid her eyes. I will not be able to explain this well so I avoid her eyes at all costs. Should I follow him? My bum was almost lifted off from the chair.

The door shut with a confident, rounded sound. Almost like saying “NO!” I shouldn’t. I relax back down on the chair.

I should not because other things matter. Things like father’s recovery and my status as a Hunter princess. Things that right this moment are more important.

“Watch your father, please?” Mother detaches herself from his grip and paces out the door. I sit by myself, just looking at father’s laying form.

“Come here Danbi.” He croaks.

I honestly don’t want to but I lift my heavy body off the chair and sit beside him. All the disgust coming back to me as the distance between us lessens.I rest my hands on my thighs and crane my neck to meet his eyes. His hand reaches for me.I shake my head mentally, I am not about to touch his hand. I convince myself no but he continues to paw through the sheets looking for my hand.

I bit my lip and exhale. I connect my hand with his large, clammy hand and as soon as our palms meet, he tightens his grip.

All the disgust that tainted my thoughts was wiped clean when I looked at him closely. For now, he’s not a loathed man and he’s not someone to avoid. For now, he’s a mere human who stared death in the face and lived. For now, he’s my father.

“You took care of your mother?” I nod, it was a lie. I don’t know why I was acting the way I was with them.

Disgust…

Why disgust? Without that physical connection my brother and I would cease to exist. I always thought that even though my real father is not the best one I knew he loved my mother and he was just showing it.

“Dad.” I utter lamely. I smile and lean over to show my face to him. The machine beeps and the fluids drop slowly and his face changes ever so slightly.

“What—“ He shifts in his position slightly and his grip on me tightens.

“What’s happening to you?”He stammers, letting go of my hand and reaching for my face.

I lean back on my chair, confused. That’s when it happened and I saw blood.Warm liquid gushed out of my nose, I unconsciously wiped my nose and as I held my hand before me, I knew.Blood smeared fingers and clothes and on top of that someone’s entering the room. Even as my vision blurred, I managed to sprint to the bathroom.

“Time to go.” The voice in my head announces. It’s Zoe.

I could feel myself lighten, I was almost floating. Each organic component of my body was fading one by one. First, my skin lightens. It turns luminous then becomes almost transparent.I cough up more blood, drowning in it. This is such an unfortunate way to go. I grip myself and lean on the cold, tiled wall.

“Why?” I manage to croak out.

Someone knocks on the door and I look up, suddenly hopeful. That someone frantically tries to turn the knob. I did not have time to lock it so the door flies open.

I gasped for air, but not a single mole

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter