Her Other Half

After school, I knock on the science department door, looking for Mr. Kim, the man who assigned us the crane assignment. The door swings open and the head of the science department was on the other side.

“Hi, I’m looking for Mr. Kim please.” I tell her. She steps aside and reveals Mr. Kim typing at his desk right behind her. Seeing me, Mr. Kim gets up and comes outside to speak with me privately.

“I know why you’re here, but I’m not switching your partner with anyone.” he tells me bluntly.

“But why? The whole class knows that this project is bound to be a disaster. The word has travelled through the whole entire grade and everyone says that we’re going to fail.” I say in a whiny tone.

“Which is exactly why I paired you guys up.” he says. I give him a confused look, not understanding what he means. “Look, you and Kwangmin’s rivalry has gone to a point that it has got to stop soon before you rip each other apart. It’s for your own good.” he clarifies.

“You realize, to this extent, no matter what you do is just going to cause even more problems than there already is, right?” I tell him.

“well, my mind has been made. No matter what you say or do will not change the fact that you two are paired up with each other.”

“You’re just trying to keep us in your class! We’ll never pass this assignment!” I begged. He shrugged and then walked back into the department. Before he closed the door on me, he told us to figure it out or he’ll just pair us up again year after year if we don’t pass. I groan as he shuts the door in my face and I walked out to the front entrance of the school where Jenny was waiting for me to walk home.

“Well? What’d he say?” Jenny asked.

“Immediate reject.” I tell her.

“Omo, you’re screwed.” she says.

“I know.” I tell her, slumping over my shoulders as we headed home.

~

“No, no, no! ou did the report all wrong! You were supposed to put gear 3 with gear 6! Not gear 4 with gear 8!” Kwangmin scolded. I was over at his house to attempt to work together with him, but so far, we have gotten no where.

“No! You clearly placed gear 4 with gear 8! Gear 3 is supposed to go with gear 10. You did it wrong! Did you pay attention to what you were building?!” I yelled back.

“Of course I did! Were you paying attention? Because this is clearly gear 3 and gear 6!” Kwangmin argued.

“No! You labelled this gear 3 and this gear 10! You clearly weren’t doing it properly!” I shout.

“You know, if you think that you’re so smart, you try do the project yourself!” he yelled.

“You think I don’t want to? Mr. Kim said that we had to work together or we’ll never pass his course!” I tell him.

“Screw Mr. Kim! I’m not working with you!” Kwangmin yells. “Get out of my house!”

“Maybe I will!” I say, grabbing my bag and heading out the door. Thunder rumbles in the distance as I push open his front door and storm out. A few drops of rain fall out of the clouds, leading to a major rain storm. “Crap!” I shout, using my bag as cover. I attempted to run home but then I slip due to the slippery ground. “This is just not my day.” I mumble to myself. Then suddenly, the rain stopped pouring on me. I look behind me and Kwangmin stands behind me, shielding me with an umbrella. He offers to help me up but I reject and pull myself off the ground.

“Here.” he says, shoving the umbrella’s handle in my face.

“I don’t need your sympathy.” I snap.

“And I’m not giving you any. Youngmin saw you running through the rain in the distance and called me to give you an umbrella. He said that if I didn’t get you one then he’ll murder me. I think I’m more afraid of him than my hate towards you.” he explains.

“Youngmin is scary? You’re making that up.” I glare.

“You’ve just never seen that side of him. It doesn’t mean it’s not there.” he tells me.

“Well. Thanks but no thanks. I prefer to get a cold and avoid working with at school than to accept your stupid umbrella.” I tell him.

“Quit being so stubborn!” he tells me.

“Me? Stubborn? Me and stubborn don’t mix. Neither do you and I.” I tell him.

“Just take it or youngmin will pound me.” he grunts.

“No.” I say, storming off in the rain. Kwangmin, the biggest I know. Screw you Kwangmin.

The next day, I stay home with a cold. Screw you Kwangmin Jo for causing me to get a cold! I’ve stayed home all day and before I knew it, I look at the clock on my bed frame to see that school’s over. Then my doorbell rings. Feeling weak and heavy, I get out of bed to go answer the door. Kwangmin stands outside, holding his half finished crane and materials to finish it.

“Just because you’re sick, doesn’t mean you get an excuse to give me all the work to do. This thing is due in two days.” Kwangmin says.

“So? Why do I care?” I ask him.

“You don’t care about passing this course? Fine, but I do and i want to do well. Now stop being selfish and help out.” he yells.

“Me selfish?! Are you kidding me? You think I don’t want to do well? First you give me a cold, then you give me attitude? You won’t ever change will you?” I say crossing my arms.

“You want to get this thing done or not?” he complains. I glare at him and turn around, heading to my room and leaving the door open for him to come in. I change out of my PJ’s, grab my laptop, and go downstairs to work with him.

“No! This is gear 5. 5! You typed in gear 13!” he complains.

“Well right now, I’m not talking about gear 5 now am I?” I snap. Then, my doorbell rings. I go get the door to see Jenny. “Jenny! Man, am i glad to see you!” I exclaim.

“Are you feeling okay?” she asks me. Then I move aside and gesture to the idiot sitting at the dining table, putting together the crane. “Omo, I’ll take it as a no then.” she whispers.

“What’s up?” I ask.

“I brought you food.” she says holding up a white bag full of take out.

“Pad thai?” I ask. She nods and walks in. “Did I mention how much I love you?”

“You have?” she responds jokingly.

“Oh. Well, I’m mentioning that now. We giggle our way to the dining table and Kwangmin glares at us.

“We’re never going to get this done at this rate.” he mutters. I ignore him and start eating.