Her Other Half

In this piping hot weather, me and my best friend since kindergarden, Jenny Kim, are waiting for the oh-so-famous Henry Lau, to step out of his glamourous white van with his ‘1-4-3’ poster wallpapered all over it. Jenny and I are both huge fans of Henry. We have been to every concert that he was in, or at least appeared in, and has stalked him all the way to the heart of Seoul to meet him in person.

“EEEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!” we both yelled as the handsome Mr. Henry step out of his van, waving to his crowd of fans. Immediately, there was a rush of girls trying to get his autograph, trying to give him their gifts. He brushes through the crowd and grabs all the things that he can see, quickly signing autographs.

“Yes!” Jenny squeals.

“Did you get it? Did you get it?” I asked all jittery. Jenny holds up her CD box with a signature from Henry.

“Lucky!” I whined. “I wish I could’ve got one! Man, that crowd makes quite the barrier.”

“Yeah. But I’m small, I can easily squeezed through crowds like that.” Jenny stated happily.

“And you said that being small was bad.” I replied as we started to skip home.

“It is bad Jieun Unnie . I can’t reach to certain places that are taller than my head, my legs are shorter which means I run slower and girl, I don’t like looking up to people all the time. It strains my neck.” Jenny complained. I giggled as we split up to take different roads home.

“See you tomorrow at school pipsqueak!” I teased Jenny as she waved goodbye.

“Hey! You know I hate being called that!” Jenny giggled. Then she waved goodbye and we went our separate ways.

~

The next day at school…

“Aigoo!” I screech, falling over, my books scattering all over the floor.

“Yah! Watch where you’re going Lee!” Kwangmin Jo, my biggest rival, yelled at me.

“You’re the one who bumped into me Jo!” I growled back. Then he snickered at me and headed into the classroom. Glaring at him as he left, I rolled over and picked up my books.

“Are you ok?” Kwangmin’s twin brother, Youngmin Jo, asked me. I felt my face flush red.

“Y-youngmin oppa! Yeah, I’m okay.” I tell him shyly.

“I apologize for my brother’s rudeness. Please don’t take what he’s said or done to heart.” he said sincerely.

“It’s okay. It’s not your fault anyways. No need to apologize.” I giggle as I bring myself up to my feet. Youngmin handed me the books that he helped me pick off the ground. He smiled at me, making me blush harder.

“Are you hurt?” he asked.

“No no. I’m fine. Thank you.” He nodded and gave me a broader smile. I smiled back and he shoved his hands in his pockets.

“See you in class Jieun.” he flashed me one last smile and headed off to class.

“Nice move!” Jenny said, sneaking up behind me and causing me to jump.

“Jenny! How many times have I told you to not scare me like that!?” I yelled at her, embarrassed.

“Sorry! I just couldn’t help it! You were just so cute!” she laughed. I knocked her on the head lightly with my knuckle. Then we both heaved a sigh.

“Two twins born from the same household. They look identical but they have completely different personalities.” I sighed.

“You’re not much different you know. The only difference is that your twin is-” then I put my hand over Jenny’s mouth.

“How many times have I told you to not say that out loud?! You’re the only person who knows and I wish to keep it that way. The reason why you found out was by complete accident. Now that you know this, you need to remember to keep your mouth shut about it.” I whispered loudly.

“Sorry. Won’t happen again. I promise.” she said when I peeled my hand off of her face.

“That’s what you say every time.” I tell her, glaring her with suspicion.

“I swear to god I won’t!” she said holding up three fingers with one hand and placing the other where her heart is.

“You better.” I snap. Then the bell rings and we rush to class.

“Late again Lee.” Kwangmin glared when I entered. He is leaning back in his chair with his feet propped up on his desk.

“Well, the teacher isn’t here yet so I’m safe. You’re not much better than I am, sitting like that, if the teacher sees you sitting like that, you’re in huge trouble.” I tell him.

“Well the teacher isn’t here yet now is he?” he shot back.

“Well, since he’s not here, then I won’t be caught late now will I?” I snicker. he growled at me and then the teacher walks into the room so we all go take our seats.

“Ok class. I will be assigning a group project today.” the teacher started. I my mind, I am screaming yes because that means I get more excuses to go over to Jenny’s. “The project will be on building a wooden, working crane that can only be operated by hand. However,” the teacher continued, “I have already assigned you your partners.” Then there was a sync groan from the class. “I have done this to improve your connections with the rest of the class because everyone is always with the same group of people no matter where you are or what your doing. When I call your names, please come up as a pair to pick up your assignment sheets.” The teacher finished. “Jenny and Youngmin.” he started. I glare at Jenny as she mouthed “sorry” to me. Why does she get to work with Youngmin? All the girls in the class groan when jenny and Youngmin walk up as a pair to get their assignment sheet. Youngmin is the most popular guy in class so it’s natural for their to be a fanclub about him. The teacher goes through the list of names pair by pair and when he read my name out loud, I was pair with Kwangmin.

“What?!” Kwangmin and I yelled in sync. When we realized that we were in sync, we glared at each other and then snapped our heads away in frustration. Rumours and hinted chattering fills the room. Angry that we got paired up with each other, we went up to get the assignment sheet, not daring to look at each other. I went back to my seat to see my name printed next to Kwangmin’s on the assignment sheet. I felt so many stabs in the back that I can practically murder the teacher for pairing us up together. Jenny, who sits next to me on the right, leans over and whispers in my ear.

“Everyone is saying that the project that the both of you are going to do is probably going to turn out as a disaster.” she tells me.

“Everyone can probably guess can’t they?” I whispered back.

“Not only that, but they all say that you two aren’t going to last one minute together because neither of you will agree on anything.” Jenny nods. I shake my head in disapproval and heave a sigh.

“I’m going to fail this assignment all because of him. I know it.” I say, leaning back on my chair. Jenny nods agreeingly and sits back in her seat as the teacher tries to calm the class down. This is going to be the longest week ever.