여덟

Her Other Half

By morning, we are already making our way back to the surface. I went up the ladder first and when I pushed the metal lid out of my way to emerge my head from underground, I was devastated.

“Oh. My. God.”  I mumbled in complete shock. Making my way out, I absent mindedly walked through the town as Kwangmin followed. I look around at the destruction. People lie torn and dead on the streets, blood splattered everywhere, and limbs scattered around. The pungent odour of blood fills the air as smoke from burning cars and demolished buildings darken the sky. My jaw hangs as I stare at the horrid scenery.

“IU. What have you done?” I asked myself, knowing that she won’t be there this time to hear me speak. Kwangmin rubs his hands on my back, trying to comfort me but all I did was break down and cry. This shouldn’t have ever happened. What have they done to her? I could just imagine Shin-Young and Professor Mo laughing evilly away as IU created this massive destruction. Killing one person to the next, hurting all the innocent civilians out there. The sounds of panicking cars occupy my ears as military helicopters fly over my head. Soon, the sound of shooting bullets were heard. They must have located IU. Without thinking, I rushed over to the sound of the bullets. Kwangmin is chasing after me, warning me to not go but I refuse to listen. Nothing is more important than my own sister right now. No one will ever be more important than IU. Not even Kwangmin.

Ever since we were little, when our parents died, all I had was IU. When I needed someone there for me when no one else understood, all I had was IU. We’ve been connected for so long, sharing the same body, I can feel her pain as she could feel mine. Even now, when we’re separated, I could feel the struggle that IU is going through, calling me for help. So now, I’m not going to let anyone else be in the way of me and my sister. Even if it kills me.

It took me a couple of hours but I finally managed to reach my destination. Kwangmin has lagged behind but I didn’t bother to wait for him. IU was standing in front of me, gutting her victim and the blood off her fingers after she was done.

“IU!” I shouted. She turned to look at me as she flick away the limbs that she has pulled apart from the body. She is drenched in blood, wearing a blank expression. For a minute there, I thought that I could see IU’s eyes again but then they quickly faded to black again. I gulped as she walked over to me with her claws ready at her sides. I got into a ready position, preparing myself to block any one of her moves when IU was ordered to halt by Shin-Young. Like a robot, IU halted and didn’t dare to say a word or protest. She stood as still as a statue in front of me.

“I would ask how you got out of there but I could automatically assume that you have had some assistance.” Shin-Young said as he walk next to IU. “Must’ve been the boy that was tailing me.” I widened my eyes, surprised that he knew but I stayed in my ready position, eager to kill him on the spot.

“Now, now Jieun. No need to get so defensive. I won’t hurt you.” he says calmly.

“Yeah? But I will.” I threatened. He walked forward so I back up, not knowing why I’m cowering away from him.

“Oh. But I’d like to see you try.” he challenged. Gritting my teeth, I waited for him to get close enough. When he did, he reached out to cup my chin in his hands but I threw my fist at him.. Problem was, my fist didn’t exactly reach his face. It was held midway through in IU’s hands. Without wasting another minute, she punched my jaw and sent me flying upwards. I fell hard on my back, touching my jaw and wiggling it to make sure it wasn’t broken. Knowing that I was okay, I got up again. IU stands right in front of Shin-Young, covering my view of him as she’s give me a blank stare.

“IU! It’s me, Jieun! Snap out of it!” but she didn’t even twitch. She was being mind controlled. But how do I break it? That was a question that I have to leave unanswered because I don’t know how. But I can’t be too pessimistic about it yet. I have to keep trying.

“IU! IU! Come on! Let’s go home!” I yell. Again, no response.

“Ha! There’s no use in trying. She’s under complete control.” Shin-Young laughed, walking up next to IU. For a moment there, I thought I saw IU twitch when he placed his hand on her shoulder, as if she was bothered by how he touched her.

“IU! Come on! Wake up! Snap out of it! Take over! You were always best with that!” I yell some more. Shin-Young just started laughing in hysterics.

“Interesting how you keep trying. IU, leave her as she is. I want her alive by the we’re finished.” Shin-Young ordered. IU didn’t do anything but turned around and followed him away from me. Tears start rolling down my face. What do I do?

I curled up buried my face in me knees. I knew that there’s no way that I can get her to wake up and remember me again. I felt sad, hopeless and betrayed. But most importantly, I felt alone. Then I remembered a little song that IU would sing to me when we were younger. Every time I was bullied at school or if I felt alone, she would sing me a song. So I started to sing it. I didn’t remember much of the lyrics though because it’s been a long time since she’s sang that to me, so I hummed the tuned. However, this made me even more sad for the tune reminded me of her. This has made me realize how much IU has done for me. Yes, she has anger problems. Yes, she can’t control her “fun”. But when it came time, she has always been there for me. Like any sister would have. Yet, only until now have I ever appreciated her and how grateful I am to have a sister like her. As I sang, I looked up and noticed that she was staring at me. Standing there in front of me, only a few feet away. I never noticed that she came back to me until now.

She looked at me with the familiar red eyes that I’ve always remembered. I can see streams of tears trickling down her face as she watched me hum the song that she used to sing to me. I sniffled my tears and stopped singing.

“IU?” I asked, afraid to know if she’ll murder me right after. She walked up to me and I braced myself for the worst. Unexpectedly, she hugged me. Her hug felt warm and welcoming.

“I’ve always wanted to hug you like this.” she tells me. “Every time you were scared, I’ve always wanted to comfort you like this but I was never able to. Only until now that I get to give the hug I’ve longed to give for 17 years.” I can hear her crying to push down her tears because I was crying too. I relaxed and hugged her tighter, crying on her shoulder.

“Saranghae IU.” I cry. Then I felt a soft pat on my shoulder. It was Kwangmin. I smiled at him for a moment and then I buried my face back into IU’s shoulder.

“That’s quite enough!” Shin-Young shouted, breaking our little moment. We all snap our heads at him and we can all tell that he’s furious now. “You may have took over the control system but I still have one more thing that I could do to you.” he smirked. I widened my eyes, afraid that I might know what he’s referring to. I look at IU and she lets go of me, walking backwards. Afraid that we might be fearing the same thing.

He was going to make IU self-destruct.