여섯

Her Other Half

A/N: Hi guys! Sorry about the late update. I've been really busy with school lately so I haven't gotten a chance to do my personal things nowadays. Anyways, I hope you guys like the story so far ^^


I wake up and find myself pinned against a metal plank, hands and feet strapped me against it and I’m positioned like a star shape. I grip and release my hands, noticing that I’m in control of my body again. Dazed, I look around. I appear to be inside a lab. Bubbles coming from beakers and colourful test tubes decorate the heavy metal room. In front of me was a lighter coloured metal path that leads to a tightly seal door about 50 ft away from me. I try to tug my hands and feet loose from the holds that are keeping me captivated but they wouldn’t budge. I’m officially stuck.

“IU.” I mutter. “IU!” I called for her. “IU, don’t scare me. Answer me please.”  But there was still no answer. “IU, where are you?” I ask myself. For once, I actually felt empty. IU has been with me since I was born and her suddenly not talking to me like that is frightening. I’ve never really had her not respond to me unless she knew that I wasn’t expecting an answer.

Suddenly, two men walk in. One of them was the one from earlier, A Shin-Young. Even in a place like this, he refuses to take his mask off to reveal his identity. The other one was a much shorter person, about half Shin-Young’s size with nerdy glasses and a lab coat. He had a very bushy mustache that was graying along with his short gray hair that pointed in all directions. The little man cleared his throat.

“Eh. Hello Ms. Jieun Lee. I see that you have woken up.” he says. I glare at him and then to Shin-Young. Then the little man continued.

“I am professor Mo. Please to meet you.” he nods sophisticatedly. I raise an eyebrow at him and continue to glare with an icy cold stare. Then he turns to Shin-Young. “Quite the friendly one you’ve got here.” he whispers. I flash him a sarcastic smile and then continue frowning at him.

“Let me go, or I shall murder you.” I threatened. Then Shin-Young let’s out a hearty laugh.

“Ha! And how, may I ask, are you going to manage to hurt me?” he asks.

“I have my ways.” I tell him.

“No, no. You won’t be able to even touch a hair that’s on me. Not without IU at least.” he snickers. Shocked, I lean back. What does he mean by ‘without IU’? I thought we were inseparable. He laughs again.

“You must be wondering where IU is. Why don’t I show you?” and with a click of a button on a remote that he had stashed away in his pocket, he reveals a life sized tube with a silhouette of a girl with her face buried in her knees. Then, I recognized her. It’s IU. IU’s soul has been removed from my body and is now captivated inside that tube.

“IU!” I shout. “IU! CAN YOU HEAR ME?” IU looks up and presses her hands against the glass, leaning forward. I can see fear in her eyes. I’ve never seen anything like that in her eyes before. She looks as if she was a helpless puppy, waiting for a miracle to happen to her.

Jieun!” she shouts back. I stare at her in shock. A part of me is glad that she’s finally out of my system but another part of me is shivering in fear, wondering how they ever managed it. I shot my attention back at Shin-Young and Prof Mo.

“What the hell did you do to us?!” I shouted angrily.

“Calm down child. We have only separated you two. No need to get so worked up. We haven’t even gotten to the good part yet.” he chuckles. I glare at him with anger and confusion. Then, he presses another button on the remote of his. A light shines, directing our attention to my right. There, emerging from the dark pits of the lab, was a female body, fully clothed, on a lab bench.

“Our new invention.” he exclaims proudly. The lab bench is moved towards up on a conveyor belt and is face in front of me.

“What are you talking about? This is clearly a human being.” I yell.

“Wrong. It’s a machine that is created to resemble a female human being.” he says. In disbelief, I look closer at it. He’s right. It does resemble a human being. If you look close and hard enough, you can actually see the faint lines of pieced together metal just under the skin. Scared, I leaned back again.

“What are you going to do?” I asked frightfully. He laughed once again.

“Why, it’s IU’s new body of course.” he says it as if he’s doing me a favour but I see bad intentions behind the true making of this body for IU.

Slowly easing the lab bench over to IU, he connects a thin tube to IU’s captive tube and the body’s chest. Then, he flicks a switch on the lab bench and a vacuuming sound is heard.

NO!” IU screeches, refusing to enter the body. But slowly, her soul is into the body. I stare in shock and terror.

“IU!” I screeched. Tears flow out of my eyes. But these aren’t tears of sadness. These are tears of fear. Fear of what’s going to happen to my sister. After a couple of minutes, the body’s small twitching of fingers catch my eye. The eyes slowly flutter open, showing IU’s blood red eyes. The body grays and the body merges to form IU’s face. The change has happened so drastically that this wasn’t the same girl that was on the lab bench. It was IU.

IU slowly peels herself off the bench and grips her hands over and over again, staring at them will fascination.

“I feel stiff.” she says. Then she places her hand on in surprise. “My voice!” she exclaims. I couldn’t tell whether she was scared that it has changed it’s tone to a more feminine and gentle one, or if she was happy that it has changed. Maybe it was both.

“Move around. Test it out.” Professor Mo offered happily and proudly. As told, she wiggles her toes and slowly swings her legs over so her feet dangles just above the floor. Steadying herself, she places her feet firmly on the ground in amusement.

“Try your claws.” Shin-Young says. She looks at him with frightened eyes but all he did was gesture her to try. Turning back around, she flicks her fingertips to reveal her claws. Surely enough, they were all there.

As IU slowly gets used to her body with happiness that she finally has her own body, I can see an evil smile form on the corners of Professor Mo’s face. Professor and Shin-Young look at each other, and my assumption is that they’re thinking the same thing. I gulped hard, realizing what they’re about to do to IU next.

“IU! Stop! You have to break out of the body!” I shouted. IU stops and looks her hands, finally realizing what I’ve just noticed. She turns her head my way with her eyes wide open drowned with fear again. I glare at Shin-Young who is shaking the remote back and forth in his hands.

“DON’T YOU DARE!” I shouted. But then he clicks the big red button that’s on it. The button goes down but doesn’t retract to come back up. He looks at his remote in his hand and then back at me.

“Oops,” he says mockingly, “too late.”