Nightmare

Just A Baby

"You okay now?", I asked him, handing him the cup of coffee.

"Yeah I think so. Thanks..." he whispered.

We stayed like that for a while. And the silence was actually nice and soothing. I didnt know why but it just did. I sipped on my tea and I just waited for him to speak up, never once pushing him.

And finally he did.

"I'm sorry you were there when I freaked out..."

"Dont be. It's nothing serious. Everyone has nightmares. Even I do", I said, trying to cheer him up though I rarely have nightmares.

"Not me though. It's getting frequent but its not like I can control it...so I'm sorry"

"I said its fine. But do you mind me asking why...?" I asked him in the most delicate way I can think of.

"...why, what...?" he turned his doe eyes to me from his cup.

"Lay told me that you were having some trouble sleeping these days. But you were fine when I was drying your hair...so, why?"

"Oh. Ummm, well its just that I have some trouble at home and I cant seem to find the solution...so it kinda haunted me in my dreams, I guess. I dont know why I'm telling you all this when we barely know each other, let alone exchange long conversations like this" he chuckled.

"Yeah I know, right...? Well things happen. It's a good thing both me and Lay were there when you woke up. Or not, I dont know what'll happen to you, huh?" I pat him on his shoulder.

"Dont worry about me. I survived last time. Though I couldnt really go back to sleep after that...I'm okay with it" he said.

"...wait. You couldnt sleep after having nightmares? Why didnt you tell anybody? It's not good for your health. Next time you have a nightmare, come to my room. Or at least call me if you're too scared or too lazy to come over, okay?" I told him, ruffling his hair.

"Why...?"

"...why, what...?" it was my turn to ask him.

"Why are you being nice to me? I thought you didnt have it in you" he made this unbelievable face.

"Well...I guess you thought wrong. Why dont we start afresh? Hi, my name is Sehun. Oh Sehun. And yes, I do know how to smile." I joked as I offered my hand to let him shake it.

"...um...hi Sehun. I'm Luhan. Xiao Luhan. And no, I'm not a girl", he joked right back, shaking my hand.

---

It was pretty hectic that week.

Our sports day was being held and so was the audition so pretty much everyone was moving out and about. And as usual, my roommates were all out most of the time, going to auditions for theatre month and participating in the sports' events.

Only I though, stayed alone in the room.

It's not that I'm not interested in any of the events but, it's much more easier to just sit in the room or walk around watching people do it instead. It doesnt take my energy, too.

"You're not going? Why? Oh c'mon, Kris is gonna be acting for the 2nd male lead, I gotta go and watch him practice!!!"

"Tao-ya. If you wanna go, then go. You dont have to drag me with you", I told him, not moving an inch from my bed.

"But that makes me a bad childhood friend...!"

"Says who?" Ifinally looked up from my phone.

"Says you! You told me that in primary school, remember? 'Dont you dare leave me if you ever find any other dude to hang out with. Or not we're not gonna stay friends anymore and you'll be tagged as a bad childhood friend!' I still remember it Sehun! You told me"

"I was stupid back then. Just go, will you? You stomping on my french carpet wont make me go, okay?"

"Fine. But its not my fault" he huffed and left my room, still stomping.

Well, its kinda true. I dont really like it when people leave me after they find someone else. If they leave in the first place then I wont mind much but after finding someone else?

Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather have them leave.

They cant blame me, though. I was born like this. Well maybe not. I was born a happy child but my family made me into this.

My mum died when I was 13, which was 5 years ago. She had some kind of stomach bacteria infection. It gave me quite an impact. But it was much more harder on dad. He mourned over her for a long time so I was kinda happy when he found someone else a few years later.

But he totally forgot about me and mum. He didnt even remember my birthday let alone mum's death day.

The bastard. He only sends me money and gives me lectures when I get into problems. He never really guided me like a father should. He forgets about all of my events and special days, so how can I not hate him?

I dont even have relatives. So he sent me to this boarding school to 'learn attitude' and if I still lack it, he'll fly me to the US to a much more strict school. He never asks how I'm doing or visit me when I'm on holiday. He just stays with his girlfriend and goof off like a bachelor.

What, is it really THAT easy to forget me?

I hate him.

"Sehun-ah, have you heard?!" Chen came bursting in through the door, sweating and panting.

"Heard what?" I got up.

---

"I dont know how hurt he is, but since he was sent to the hospital instead of just the nurse's room, I'm guessing he's hurt a lot"

"C'mon I'll drive you there. Who was with him when he got hit?" I asked him as we got in the car.

"The football coach, some judges and Luhan", Chen said, still panting from running.

"Luhan?! Why was he there?"

"He was the one who shot the ball. But instead, it hit Umin's head and he bumped into the goalpost", Baekhyun tried to explain from the backseat.

"What the..."

---

"Luhan-ah!!!", Baekhyun called out as soon as he saw Luhan pacing in front of the ER.

"How is he...?" Chen tried to ask Luhan. The coach was at the counter, filling in some paperwork.

"He...h-he, I dont know...nobody said anything y-yet..b-but he was b-bleeding, by the h-head, aaa..." and he started to cry, releasing what he had kept to himself as he collapsed.

"Hey, hey hey hey...don't worry, breathe...just breathe. Luhan, look at me. Look at me..." I grabbed him in time before he hit the floor.

"S-sehun...? W-what are you doing-"

"Umin is a friend of mine so I should come, shouldnt I? Now breathe. He's going to be alright"

"What if he's not...? It's all my fault. I d-didnt see him and I just...what should I do, S-sehun-ah...?" he shivered in my clasp. He cried his eyes out, sobbing.

---

"How is he...?"

"He's fine. The doctor gave him some IV drop, though. Worry about yourself, dude" I pat Umin's shoulder.

"I'm sorry. He's always been like that. Since in primary school. Our friend became a disabled after he tried to save Luhan from being hit by a car so Luhan's been terrified ever since. He's...he's like that."

"Oh...well, dont worry... it wasnt much of a problem. Though you should be thankful Chen came along, or not..." my voice trailed off.

"Ya ya! I've become so weak waiting for you, you know?" Baekhyun came in.

"Why are you tired when it was Chen who gave his blood?" I .

"Yeah. And I'm not tired at all, you know? Kinda hungry though since Umin took a lot of my blood for the transfer", Chen came in right after.

"So now...I'm forever in debt to you, huh? Since your blood is in my veins?" Umin joked.

---

I just stared at his unstirred body, laying there as calm as ever.

Haaa how could he have fainted like that? The doctor only said Umin needed some blood donated by someone with AB blood type as he lost quite a lot. And he simply fainted after I clearly told him to breathe. This kid, really...

His hand kept clenching onto mine as I held it. I wondered if he was still having nightmares.

I closed my eyes trying to sleep with my head on the side of the bed, but his body kept shivering, even after I turned off the AC and asked for an extra blanket.

My final resort was to crawl up into the blanket with him.

After a while, he stopped stirring. He whinned every now and again but he didnt sweat like he did last week. So that was a good sign.

---

When I woke up, I realized my head was resting on Luhan's lap, who was now wide awake and in a sitting position, looking down on me.

"Finally awake?" he asked, smiling.

"Oh. Sorry, I was tired from babying you when you were out cold" I , not bothering to get up.

"Hey, it was out of my control, okay...? But...thanks. And thank you too, for, you know, helping me sleep just now" he said as he held my chin. It was weird, but somehow comforting.

"You're welcome- wait, how'd you know that?"

"I could smell you. It was the same scent as last week in my room. I guess my body relaxed to it so I slept better...so thanks" he grinned sheepishly, embarassed, I guess.

"It's fine, it's fine. Now will you just lie down again and rest? I know you've been tired lately, plus you're trouble in sleeping and stuff. And today, too, you must still be tired. Come, rest", I said, pulling him down as I got up to give him his bed back.

"Wait, where are you going?" he grabbed my hand.

"...um...the hostel? It's a school night, remember? I need to get back before its midnight-"

"It's already midnight. And tomorrow is Friday, which is Labour's Day. A public holiday. So stay."

"But-"

"Stay."

"Okay. But I'll just sleep here", moving to the chair beside the bed.

"No...you're sleeping here", he patted the space beside him on the bed.

"But I'm too big. I might kick you off"

"But I'm small. Plus, you dont kick well. I do. So dont worry. Just get up here."

"Fine. Move."

I laid beside him and made myself comfortable.

Luhan did the same, snuggling into my arms without my permission and quickly falling asleep.

Haaa, what do I do with you?