Cold

Just A Baby

I unpacked my stuff for the first time in 3 weeks since I enrolled in this school into my new locker. It was huge. If I were to hide from someone, I'd definitely fit in here. As I put my shirts and jeans in the locker, I thought to myself that I never imagined I'd enrolled in a boarding school. I always thought it was for losers and nerds, but judging from these students here, I dont feel like they're nerds or anything. I feel like I'm the nerd and loser because everybody here is so talented.

I discovered that fact last week when I got my class schedule. I have drama class for the first semester which I thought would be boring but damn, was I wrong. It was horrificly awesome. Everyone was called to the stage to act a scene given by the teacher spontaneously and everyone seriously did good. I felt everyone's stare on me when I finished with my scene and the teacher praised me. But there wasnt a single clap. So I was confused. Was I bad? Or was I too obvious? But I chose to ignore it.

Though what made me fail to ignore it was that guy Luhan. He acted his scene and got everyone to clap and whistle like he was some kind of artist. But then he caught my stare from the stage and he smirked. I still dont get what was his problem.

"Sehun-ah! Let's go eat lunch!!! I'm too hungry to even say my name......", moaned Tao as he slowly creaked my room door open.

"Okay, right after I finish unpacking. Just a little more. Go and lie on my bed first", I said.

I hear him mumble something whinny but I just laughed, knowing that's the usual Tao. Our room consists of 4 people, 2 seniors and 2 juniors. The other junior besides myself is the one from the next class, Minhyuk. I dont know much about him because he always goes out to meet people or is always at others rooms. The seniors were Taemin who I figured was the on Jongin was talking to last week by our class door. And the other senior was Chunji, I think. He's also rarely in the room because he always has singing practise as he has joined a singing club ever since he enrolled in this school.

They were all nice to me when I came so I'm happy with my roommates.

"Ya!!! I'm dying here.....c'mon lets go eaaatttt, EAT EAT EAT EAT!!!" Tao yelled from my bed, squirming and wiggling to show his exhausted anger.

"Fine, fine, I'm coming, sheeshhh. C'mon lets go", I closed my locker and ran out the door, leaving a stumbling Tao on my trail, whinning about not having the energy to catch up.

---

"Lets sit here", Tao said. I sat down across him at the table he picked in the cafeteria. So we ate in peace...until he showed up.

"What are you doing?" the little pipsqueak asked me, who was holding his own lunch tray.

"Hunting elephants. What does it look like? Eating", I said, sarcastically to him, not even looking at his face.

"Well that was rude", he replied.

"And you werent? I was eating peacefully when you suddenly asked me without even greeting me first"

"Well thats because you're in my seat. This is our table. We've been eating lunch here since day 1, right Baek?", he asked his friend who just arrived with his tray, bringing along a few of his other friends behind him. 

"Hmmm, I dont really care because it doesnt say its your table and I dont see your name on it either", I stopped him.

"Why dont you just sit here with us? It's big enough for 10 people, hello??? We're just here to eat. Not camp", Tao butted in, obviously pissed and annoyed that he cant eat in peace.

"Yeah, why dont you? And if you really want to sit here, then sure. I'll move my a bit for your little . That good?", I asked him, trying to control my temper but still not losing the stern tone and face.

He looked flustered but he kinda agreed so I moved a bit and he sat next to me, where he claimed to be his place. His friends just laughed and sat on my other side and also Tao's too. Before I could continue with my food and enjoy the delicious taste, he put a spinach on my tray. 

I looked at him and he pretended like he didnt do it.

"Um...exactly what are you doing? I think you're confused. This is my tray, and thats yours", I said trying to give the spinach back.

"DONT! I dont like spinach. You eat it", he said shyly, trying to act cool about it.

"If you dont want it, you can give it to me. I usually take it because I always sit next to him. He really hates it", the smallest one said from the end of the table. He had big eyes and a nice smile.

"No, it's fine. I dont mind. Spinach is good. I like it", I said politely to him.

"Oh, Okay then. By the way, I'm Xiumin. But they call me Umin", he said to me, smiling.

I smiled to him and everyone started to introduce theirselves to me. Not that I dont like it. I was just not excited about it. Next to me was Baekhyun and then Umin. Across him was Chen, who was eating quietly beside the too-hungry-looking Tao. I nodded to all of them as a greeting and I introduced myself and Tao.

I thought he wasnt even paying attention but he suddenly looked up and I saw that his eyes were as round as ping pong balls. I rarely see that because he has terrible eye bags since he was a kid. So I followed his glance.

"Who's that guy?" he asked no one in particular.

"That tall one? Oh, I think he's name is Kris or something... wait, isn't he in our class? Umin?" he asked Umin.

"Yeah. He sits by the window...wait a minute. He sits in front of you, dont you know?" he looked at Tao as he asked but Tao lost his focus right after the guy walked past him with his food tray.

"Tao-yah. What? What's wrong?", I asked him.

"He...he...he's wearing what I've been wanting...since last year...you see that clutch he has under his arm? Its a Prada clutch, LIMITED EDITION from Italy. It's HANDMADE." he emphasized, showing his desperation.

Everyone at the table stared at him as I just sighed at Tao's obsession for labelled accessories. He's been like that ever since puberty so I get his drill. Baekhyun beside me and Chen just laughed at Tao. They were amused by his little .

Luhan paid little attention as he tried to get the rest of his spinach out of his soup. Umin was on the phone so I was left alone to deal with my own problems in my tray.

"Here lemme get that. And you, eat this in return", I said as I picked out all the spinach and shoved them into my mouth while I put all the nuts from my rice and put it in his rice bowl.

"You dont eat nuts? You must be really slow in thinking huh? Nuts are good for your brain", he said, eating them.

"Well its no wonder you're short and small. Spinach actually makes you tall and strong, dont you know?" I encountered.

And we both laughed. But it died quickly when everyone else turned to us. We awkwardly coughed and continued eating. 

---

It was Saturday so at night we were let out till midnight. Me and Tao went to the capital to buy some stuff. On our way out, I saw Jongin. He looked like he was searching for something, though he seemed cautious. I pretended that I didnt see him and he did the same. Just as I reached the gate, I saw Ljoe hyung, our senior come in. He greeted me and asked if Chunji hyung was in the room. I said yes then left. Tao just pretty much followed me around without looking up from his Sales magazines.

We got to our favourite bundle store and started searching for our stuff. I bought 2 pairs of socks and some shavers. Tao got a bathing sponge and a was looking for a handy mirror. All of a sudden, I heard him yell for a brief second. I came to him and found that Kris dude beside him.

"I think this one suits you better. It has a panda sticker on the back", he said to Tao.

"So...? What does a panda have to do with me?" he asked, looking flustered.

"It looks just like you. Look. You two have the same eyebags", he said again nonchalantly. He put the mirror next to Tao's face and giggled on his own, seeing the resemblance, I assume.

"Hey it's not nice to say that. I was born with these. it's not that I'm unhealthy or anything, okay?" he said, clearly upset. He started to leave to the cashier with his stuff but Kris stopped him.

"Okay look, sorry I pissed you. You know...there's this Gucci Sale at uptown...you...wanna go with? ...me?" he asked Tao, trying to make up for his stupid mistake. Unsurprisingly, Tao's lips twitched and he took out his phone, and called me.

"Yeah?" I said, moving to other lanes.

"Hey I need to got somewhere with someone. You dont mind going back alone, do you?" he asked.

"Yeah sure. Be back by midnight. You know you need a pass to be back later than that, right?"

"Yeah I know. Thanks Sehun. See ya tomorrow", he said and hung up.

I peeped at them and saw them moving to the cashier. A few moments later, they left the store. So I paid for my stuff and started to walk to the parking lot to my car. 

I drove with the roof pulled back because the night air was refreshing. Not far from the bundle store, I came to a stop because there was a shooting going on in the middle of the street. I found a way around but then I stopped again when I saw Luhan by a bus stop.

"Need a ride back?" I asked as I stopped by the bus stop.

"What? You're suddenly bragging that you have a car?" he asked me in a tired voice.

"Sure, you can think that. But I'm only asking because the bus is gonna be late because of that shooting they're having. Welp, see you back at the hostel-"

"Wait!" he shouted and quickly got into the car.

I smiled and drove off.

It was silent the whole way back. I the radio but the sounds outside seemed more fulfilling so I turned it off.

A few times, I noticed Luhan looking over to me but I didnt want to ask. So I just drove silently pretending it was just me imagining stuff.

"Hey, ummm...you know, I thought you were this kind of spoilt brat when we first met in class during the introductions. Because you had that ignorant and arrogant face and that cold behaviour, but, you...you're not that bad...I guess", he said quietly while glancing at me.

"Ummm, thanks...? I thought you were the kind of attention seeker that loves to be in the lime light...you know, kind of a brat, too but in a popular way, and...I guess I am right", I said, teasing him.

"Hey. I complimented you, shouldnt you be doing the same?" 

"Why would I when thats the truth right there?" I went on.

He huffed and ignored me, looking outward. 

---

"Damn it! I didnt realize it was already 12.45am!!!" Luhan panicked as he got out of the car.

I looked at my watch and I gasped enough air to dive in a pool. It was THIS LATE?!! I got out the car quickly too, grabbing my stuff and ran after him. He got to the gate and was about to be asked for a pass by the guards when I caught up with him and pulled him into a bush, closing his mouth with my free hand.

"Mfff-ffm-hmmffhhh", he huffed under my hand but I latched on to keep him quiet.

"Shhhh, hey shut up for a minute will ya? Oh thank god they didnt see us", I said as I let go of him slowly.

"Why'd you do that for?!! I almost died suffocating!" he said, panting.

"Dont you know? If we dont have a late pass and get caught by those guards, we're gonna get detention for 2 weekends. We have to wash 20 bathrooms for 2 WEEKENDS. That aint no sweet ride, okay?" I explained, still looking out for the guards.

"Well then now what? We still have to sleep, dont you think?!" he exclaimed, clearly still mad.

"It's fine. We can sleep here. Or in my car. Oh wait no we cant. The windows arent tinted. They can see us if they round the area and flash through the car, damn it!" 

We both sat there for a while, trying to hatch a plan. But judging from the continous silence, it seems like both of us are doomed for the night. I wondered whatever happened to Tao? 

I texted him and he said they were going to be back by dawn because the sale starts at 2 am and the line to get in was too long. But I'm guessing Tao doesnt mind as long as he gets what he wants. Haishh that dummy. 

"Fine, we'll just sleep here", Luhan finally said.

He quickly made himself comfortable and tried to sleep as soon as possible.

Not an hour later, I noticed him shivering. It was February, of course its still cold out even if theres no snow. So I took of my jacket and made it his blanket. Its a good thing he's kinda small cuz half of him was already under my long jacket. His feet peeked out, though. 

Then I got an idea. I pulled my new socks over his tiny feet and wore one for myself and I made myself comfortable next to him.

"Sehun-ah, wake up. Sehun-ah", someone's voice seeped into my dreams.

"Whaa- what...? Umphhh is it morning yet...?" I asked, too cold to open my eyes. I hugged myself to warm up.

"Nope. Its 3.15am. Wear your jacket, here. You're freezing", it was Luhan. I was suddenly shocked by his presence but memories came back and reminded me we were in a bush, outside of the hostel, in the cold. How it .

"Uhhh too lazy to move...", I whinned. I really was lazy. But mostly cold. Too cold to move.

Then suddenly I felt his hand all over my torso and my back, trying his hardest to make me wear my jacket. I moved bit by bit so it eased his process and the jacket was on me again. 

I opened my eyes and saw him. He continued to sleep again. But I'm guessing it was harder to do so now that he's the one who's cold. He had a jacket one, but it was too thin and he only wore one layer underneath. Unlike me, I had 3 layers underneath excluding my jacket so I was better than him.

So I inched over to him and pulled him into my arms. I pretty much hugged him but his back was to my chest. He was too cold to respond, just like I was a few minutes before so he didnt resist. 'Good boy', I thought.

I pulled my jacket around us both and slept.