Chapter 7

Tangled

Disclaimer: Still own nothing.

***

Oppa, did you sleep well? You look awfully tired…”

At first, Kang Minhyuk didn’t think that her attention was intentional. He is pretty busy these days with the drama, the Blue Moon tour, the recording for their comeback next year, the promotion for their compilation album, and the reality show that their agency suddenly agreed on: Cheongdamdong 111. He actually didn’t know how he still managed to wake up every morning with his stacked up to-do-list day by day. So it wasn’t that hard to see the bags under his eyes.

He actually kind of amused to see her escalating anxiety in compliance with the more frequently his lacked of sleep caught him up in the middle of the filming. He distinctly remembered that one day when he was literally fall asleep while they were practicing their lines in the library scene, and the next thing he knew he woke up with his head nestled very comfortably on her shoulder, with a blanket—which he was sure weren’t there before—wrapped around his body. He was greeted with her smile, playfully teasing him that he was drooling and sleep-talking all the time. He was still trying to figure out if it was true, because everyone else’s always said that he was a silent sleeper; he hardly even changed position while he was sleeping. Nevertheless, he had never heard her complaining for his new found habit, and he thought it was very sweet of her.

But then other than the increasing frequency, little by little her attentions step up into a new level significantly.

It started out with a simple act as they were playing a game of tossing flavoured peanuts that the director accidentally saw and said that it would be cute to see a scene where they would feed each other. That scene went pretty well, and ever since then both of them found that it was pretty fun to do in a regular basis. And since they mostly had screentime together, they’re practically went everywhere together. They were practiced their script together, having breakfast, lunch, and dinner together, even went home together, until everybody else’s stopped questioning and start seeing them as a package.

The weird part was it all felt so natural for him. Like he had known this girl forever. He kept waiting for the awkwardness to struck them at unsuspected time, but it never came. It was almost like his relationship with Shin Hye noona, yet at the same time it felt so different. He had this kind of respect for Shin Hye noona that most probably had everything to do with her close “friendship” with Yonghwa hyung. He thought of her as his hyung’s girl, so he knew that their familiarity came from that.

But with Jung Soojung, none of his band members had known her. He had never even introduced them to her properly, for whatever reason there would be. That situation also implied to her side, she had never introduced him to her members, nor to her sister, even though he had met her sister a couple of times now especially since he was regularly taking her home these days. His relationship with Soojung had almost never involved anyone else, it’s just the two of them and they felt way too comfortable with each other it was borderline dangerous. The last time he ever felt this close with a girl, was with his ex-girlfriend, years ago.

Yet he was sure there’s still something different with Soojung that he couldn’t quite put his finger on it.   

He couldn’t exactly remember where and when did they became so close that he could drawn her in or wrapped his arms around her anytime he felt like it without any hesitation. It couldn’t get past through his mind how easy it was to be with her—while he still remember vividly how nervous he was when he held his ex’s hand for the first time, or how much she tensed everytime he sling his arm around her shoulders that eventually he stopped trying. He’s then rewinded back to his previous drama where he was actually had to kiss his co-star, and decided that all he was feeling back then was awkwardness, nothing even close to compare with what he was feeling now.

He was seriously wondering if his love cells had died somewhere between his last broke up with his ex and his last emotionless romantic scenes, if it wasn’t for the fact that he had noticed how his heart had skipped a bit for a couple of times when Soojung was around.

They were currently filming at the camping set, despite the weather. Why did the writer had the idea that a bunch of spoilt brats of multibillion companies would appreciate this kind of trip was beyond him. That the director had adamantly following through the script that it was okay to had a camping scene this close to winter season was even more obnoxious. Well, at least there was a hotel nearby so they didn’t really have to sleep outside to freeze. Besides, playing paintball with the cast and crew must be really exciting.

Soojung was one of those people who couldn’t keep her enthusiasm to herself. She was practically ordering everyone to play paintball war for real after their done filming, not even letting them to rest first. She was playing dirty to get everyone to comply to her pleas with her aegyo, and being her boyfriend ensured him to became her favorite victim.

He was absolutely, utterly, hopelessly, undeniably wrapped around her fingers.

He could almost hear his hyungs laughing at him from miles away. Everyone’s on the set had endlessly for being helplessly romantic with her, but he couldn’t find it in himself to say that he wasn’t enjoying it at all. To be completely honest, he was looking forward to it. Yes, he was that pathetic.

God, it’s been too long since he had a girlfriend.

And Soojung had made him craved for a real one, ASAP.

Oppa, help me to open this...” Soojung was now sitting beside him after the exhausting game, trying to open a canned juice to no avail. He took the can and opened it with no effort, then giving it back to her with a it-wasn’t-that-hard look. She sipped the juice quietly, hiding a smile that made him wondering if she was just pretending to get his attention.

She had changed her outfit into a thick jacket, a pair of a very short hot pants, which was fortunately complimented with a knee-length boot so he didn’t have to trained his eyes elsewhere from her bare legs. Seriously, those legs were very distracting and had been haunting his nights lately, flashing him some very disturbing images that he needed to pushed so far away at the very corner of his mind, and she made it almost impossible especially if she was flaunting them in front of him in a close proximity like that. He didn’t want to think of her that way—he genuinely thought of her like a little sister, he was pretty sure of it that he had told his CEO exactly that—but as the days gone by, he was second guessing his own thoughts.  

“Soojungie, aren’t you cold?” He asked her out of curiosity. His body was covered with thick clothes that the only visible skin were only his head and his hands and he still felt the cold wind pricked through his clothes. “Why did you wear such a short pants in this kind of weather?”

He saw her blinked as if she had difficulties to process his question. She then looking at her legs that was now covered with a blanket like it could give her some kind of answer. Only then she shrugged her shoulders like it was nothing, “I’ve used to it.”

He nodded his head in understanding, then instinctively putting on his jacket on her, “Don’t let yourself get sick, okay?”

Soojung smiled at his sweet gesture and hummed, leaning her body closer to him then propping her chin on one of her hand. His body also leaned on her out of habit, then he decided to show her some card tricks to kill some time. She played along, but after a while he knew that she wasn’t that interested with the cards, so he took his script instead. He could see from his peripheral vision that she was pouting now that his attention wasn’t on her anymore.

Oppa, we only had a one-shot after this. Do you really had to practice it?”

He chuckled at her protest, putting the script back on the table, he stated, “Practice makes perfect.” He’s smiling even more as she curled her lips in displeased, so he took one of her hand and intertwined their fingers together.

He wasn’t prepared when she suddenly tensed under his hand.

Omo!” She shrieked quietly, “Oppa, your hand is freezing!” She took his other hand boltly before he even could register what she was saying, the expression on her face turned from shocked to worried in a flash of second, “Are you okay, oppa? You should’ve had told me if you’re feeling cold!”

He finally could process what she meant and the only response he could manage was, “Why? So you could warm me up?”

That successfully made her pissed off and blushed instantly. She threw his hands forcefully, turning her body away from his grinning face, mumbling in a whisper that he could barely hear, “You’re not that sick if you still can tease me like that.”

Mianhe, Jungie-ah,” he said apologetically, “But I do feeling cold. Are you okay if I take my jacket back from you?”

She nodded her answer, still not looking at him. So he peeled off his jacket from her carefully, hoping that she would not stay mad for long like the last time.

The day had gone too fast, the earth had turned around for the sun to gave its light on the other side of the world, replaced by the moon that was on its fullest. The temperature had dropped down pretty drastically, forcing people to cooped up even deeper under their blanket and jacket, hoping it could provide them the much needed warmth to get through the night. Most of the cast only had a few more scenes after dinner before they could go back to the hotel and back to the camp site the next morning—except for Lee Minho and Park Shin Hye and the crew, who were most probably going to spent the rest of the night filming on the outside.

Minhyuk had just done filming his scene with Soojung, Kim Woobin, Park Shin Hye, and Park Hyungsik. He just had 1 more scene of calling Yoo Rachel before he had done for the day. Just 1 more scene, he only had to endure this cold night for a few more hours, he cheered himself up before he suddenly sneezed loudly.

Soojung was beside him in a flash, offering him some tissue as he sneezed again. He thanked her apologetically, slightly feeling bad after seeing her concerned look for him.

So that’s how to make her stopped being mad at him, then he kicked himself mentally for thinking like that in this situation.

Oppa, did you catch a cold?” He let her put her hand on his forehead to check up on him, “You were a bit warm. Should we asked the director to give you an early pass?”

“What? No, it’s okay,” he refused her gently, “It’s just only 1 more scene. I think I can handle it,” he tried to convince her. “You should go ahead to the hotel before you get sick, too, Soojungie...”

She wrinkled her forehead in annoyance, “Tsk, oppa, how could you say that when it was clearly you who had gotten sick? You should worry about yourself first before others...” she stomped her feet away from him, but he could still heard her grumbling along the way, “I’m going to see if they had extra blanket for you. Aishh... they should’ve served some warm soup for dinner in this kind of weather... Tsk, I should’ve brought those medicine eomma had prepared for me, where am I going to find one in here?”

Heol,” Park Hyungsik snorted hearing her rant, “She was really worried sick about you. Are you sure you’re not dating her for real?” he asked Minhyuk with that funny face of his.

Minhyuk sighed with a smile, “I can assure you, Park Hyungsik, there’s nothing going on between me and Soojung.”

Daebak...” Hyungsik shaking his head vigorously, his face implied something between confusion and amazement, “If I were you, I’d probably had asked her out. Seriously, can’t you see? She was smitten with you.”

“It’s not like that...”  he tried to explain again. God, this conversation was getting old. “It was just because we’re playing as a couple—“

Ara... ara...” Hyungsik dismissed him with a flick of his hand, “But don’t you feel anything, really? It’s weird, you know, the way you’re acting around each other,” he then stepped closer to Minhyuk, adding with a whisper, “Even the lead couple were not that close. Akh! Yah, what was that for?!”

Minhyuk slapped Hyungsik’s shoulder so hard he forgot that he was sick, “Don’t talk like that about them. They were working so hard, you should respect them more—“

Yah, yah, yah, what are you two fighting about?” Park Shin Hye startled them by standing before them so suddenly, “Don’t tell me you were fighting over our Soojungie?”

“Woah...can I?”

“It’s not—“ Minhyuk glared at Hyungsik when he realized what he was saying, “What did you say?”

Wae?” Hyungsik challenged him with his eyes, looking suddenly serious, “You said you didn’t have any feelings whatsoever towards her, so it means everyone was free to have a chance with her, right?”

Minhyuk’s glare to him became more and more deathly, “Mwo?!

Yah, she was reaaally pretty. Don’t you know that almost every guy here wanted to approach her? The only reason they didn’t is because the director told us to leave you two alone. If you like her, I suggested that you tell her soon. Because if not, someone else’s would be ready to snatch her away from y—“

He didn’t know what had possessed him to grab Hyungsik on his collar, “Did you have a death wish?

Yah! Kang Minhyuk!” Shin Hye screamed at him to stop. Fortunately, Kim Woobin saw what happened and he stopped the young men from fighting just in time. Thanks to his monstrous posture, he could handle the two of them just fine.

Woobin looked at Kang Minhyuk sternly who still had that killer eyes fixated on Hyungsik, just like a predator who was waiting to pounce on his prey, the kindness that used to be there had gone without any trace. Hyungsik on the other hand was very relax, so Woobin focusing on Minhyuk by took him on his jacket and shook him out to come to his senses, “What the is going on with you, Minhyuk-ssi?” Woobin said in that very intimidating low tone of his that had been known could sent goosebumps to anyone who hear it.

He thanked God that it wasn’t just a myth as he saw the blood-lust look in Minhyuk’s eyes faded away and slowly getting his kind vibe back. He looked slightly disoriented, but Woobin kept his hand on him as the guy before him finally looked like Kang Minhyuk that everyone’s known of. “Are you okay now?” Woobin asked him again just in case. Minhyuk nodded his head, a slight regret flashed between his eyes, only then Woobin let him go and Shin Hye released a loud breath.

“I’m sorry hyung, noona, Hyungsik... I didn’t mean to...”

Then Hyungsik surprised them with his booming laugh.

Omo... omo... hyung!” Hyungsik clutching his stomach while his other hand pointing at Minhyuk, “Hyung, you saw that, right? You saw that! I was just teasing you!” He regarded to Minhyuk, “And look at your reaction! God! That was priceless! Muahahahahha...”

Woobin sneered at Minhyuk who was now pinching the bridge of his nose, feeling absolutely stupid that he fell for that.

“It wasn’t funny, Park Hyungsik...” Minhyuk scolded him who was still busy laughing his off.

“He’s right,” Fortunately, Shin Hye noona had taking his side, “That wasn’t funny at all. Did you really wish to die?” she threw a punch to Hyungsik’s arm, but it didn’t affect him that much.

Are you saying that all of this trouble just for a stupid joke?

Hyungsik fell silent immediately as soon as he realized that Woobin hyung was giving him that look. You know, that look, that infamous look that could sent shivers all over your body. He smiled sheepishly at him, trying to win him over with his aegyo, “I’m sorry, oppa... I swear I’m not going to do that ever again. Okay?” he winked his eyes rapidly.

“You’re lucky you didn’t get any bruises for now. But next time, I will let Minhyuk here to do whatever he intended to do earlier. If I were you, I’ll be careful not to wake up a sleeping lion like you did just now,” Woobin turned around to leave them alone, but stopped at Minhyuk briefly, “And you’re lucky no one else was around to see that. You’re in a big deep trouble if someone tipped this to the media,” he patted his shoulder twice and went away.

“You scared me for a moment there, Minhyukkie...” Shin Hye noona approached him, “Here, Soojung told me to give you this earlier,” she offered him a blanket. “You really need to take care of yourself more, Yong oppa had told me that you’re one of that person who get sick easily, oh? Did you bring any vitamins or medicine with you?”

“Not today, noona, but thanks, I think I’m going to be alright with a little rest. And noona, could you please not to tell Soojung about this? I don’t want her to be even more worried than she already is right now...”

Aigoo...” Hyungsik sling his arm around him teasingly, “Everyone was worried about you and all you were worried about is Soojung. Noona, how sweet is that?”

Shin Hye glared at Hyungsik, “Yah, haven’t you learn your lesson today, Park Hyungsik? Did Woobin’s threat wasn’t enough for you? Stop teasing him for real...”

Hyungsik pouted at Shin Hye noona, “Noona, did you have to be so mean to me? I was just helping him to see what he’s going to miss—“

“—okay, that’s enough. Let him do whatever he wanted to do, don’t push him to do something that he wasn’t sure of.”

“But, noona, it was so obvious—“ but Shin Hye noona had dragged him away from Minhyuk before he could finish his sentence and did another damage.

Oppa,” and there she was, the timing couldn’t be more perfect and she was oblivious with everything that happened while she was gone, “I’ve brought you some medicine. Where is everyone? Why did Shin Hye unnie dragging Hyungsik oppa like that? And why didn’t you put on the blanket I gave you? It’s getting even cold!”

Kang Minhyuk could only thanked God silently that this girl didn’t saw the incident just earlier because he didn’t know how to explain himself if she did. Or if someone else’s did. He hadn’t made his mind up yet about his feeling. And yes, if his overreaction was any indication, he was now admitted that he probably had a feeling towards this girl, a strong feeling that the thought of another guy approaching her was enough to make his head boiled.

The problem now, he was just not very sure if it was his feeling towards Jung Soojung or it was Yoon Chanyoung’s towards Lee Bona. Or probably he was only liking her as Lee Bona. Each of them had a whole different meaning and he didn’t want to get himself confused. He needed to draw out the lines clearly, needed to separate himself from Yoon Chanyoung, needed to recognize the real Jung Soojung from Lee Bona. That would be a difficult task since both of them had a very similar personalities with their characters, but it had to be done, because he didn’t want to jump into these blurres lines only to find out later that he was falling for a fictional character.

***

A/N: Did I make you guys waiting for far too long? Hehehe, I'm really sorry, this chapter should've been longer but seeing how it turned out—I really didn’t intend to write an overzealous Minhyuk there, but the story write for itself! It's funny how you made a clear draft on what you wanted to write in your mind, but once you write it, a whole different ideas popped out and you just can't help but to go with it—so I have to end this chapter here and save the rest of it for next chapter.

Seemed like some stupid guy spent too much time on thinking about what he's feeling...do you think our Kang Minhyuk is that type of a guy? Because I do think that most guys are like that, they take time to think over everything, but once they've made up their mind (and heart), boom!, they go for it. Unlike girls, who are mostly jumped head-first without thinking or even when they already know that they're going to end up with a broken heart. Tell me what you think!