Chapter 14

Tangled

Disclaimer: Own nothing.

***

The young girls bowed politely at everyone they’ve met at the SBS Gayo Daejun. Luna unnie made their way to their seats, which was placed at the very back of rows of well-dressed idols who attended the annual event. Soojung lined up last behind her members, her eyes wandering off to search a particular guy amongst these ocean of people.

There he was, she spotted her boyfriend seated on the far end of the second row with s. An automatic smile was about to formed on her delicate lips, but it was quickly vanished when she saw that Minhyuk oppa was seated right in between GD oppa who was in front of him, and Kai who was exactly behind him. Soojung blanched, the sight made her heart freeze for a moment.

She took her seat, gulping nervously. Minhyuk oppa still didn’t know about what had happen with her and those other boys, and thanked God that no one knew that they were in a real relationship now. She was watching the three boys if they even interacted at all; crossing her fingers all the time so that nothing bad would happen between them. For now, they seemed oblivious as they didn’t even acknowledge each other; for all she knew, they were just a mere acquiantances. She should feel a bit relieved that her seat was far away on the back and not anywhere near them; that way, she could observed the boys without no one noticing.

But her bad luck didn’t stop there. Her body went rigid when the person in front of her turned and greeted her cheerfully.

Oh! Soojung-ah!”

It took all of her will to control her expression as to not scowl or spat at the sight of Suho oppa. She bowed rigidly to show her respect to the EXO leader, her voice had lost somewhere between her messed up head. As usual, Suho tried to open a conversation with her; she hummed and nodded at times, but really she wasn’t actually listening—a skill that she had mastered since she was young—and to be honest, her mind couldn’t process anything he had said at all.

She sat there for an hour an a half, balancing between supervising the boys on the far end—fortunately, GD oppa had went to the backstage in less than an hour—listening to Suho oppa, and trying to enjoy the show despite her worries. She caught Minhyuk oppa’s eyes a few times, and he was giving her the cutest eye-smile that she loves so much every single time, and she was trying to smile back at him when no one’s watching.

It wasn’t long until their turn to perform. She called the rest of her members to their waiting room for final rehearsal. Thankfully, their performances were flawless.

Backstage, the f(x) members went straight to their waiting room to rest. Soojung was a bit left behind, and she was busy bowing her thank you to the stage crews when she bumped into someone’s chest.

She looked up while chanting ‘I’m sorry’ to the man, only to found out that it was her own boyfriend.

Oppa!”

Both of them couldn’t help the big smile that immediately formed on their faces. They looked around to see if there’s someone watching them, then found themselves in a secluded corner to have a hug. Minhyuk leaned his face down to kiss her, but she stopped him by using her palm on his lips.

Yah, oppa! Be careful... someone might see us,” she stepped back and once again scanning the area to make sure that there’s no one else nor a CCTV around them. She hit him squarely on the chest when he attempted another try.

He couldn’t help but to whine this time, “Yah... why can’t I have a kiss from my own girlfriend?”

Soojung clicked her tounge, once again annoyed at his eagerness to kiss her every time they were alone. Not that she didn’t like it, but sometimes Minhyuk oppa could be so reckless. She recalled that morning after their first date on Christmas, Sica unnie said that she saw Yong oppa’s car was parked in front of their house, but thankfully she was too drunk to make sure of it. She reasoned this out to warn him and to be more careful.

Ah...jinjja?” Minhyuk rememberred about that time, too, “Yong hyung also said that Seohyun saw it too, so he asked if it was me—“

Mwo?” Soojung clamped with her own hands as she realized that her voice was too loud for her liking, “So what did you say?” she asked with a hushed tone.

“I said I didn’t take his car,” he shrugged.

Soojung hit his arm, “Would he believe that?! Yah, your dorm was filled with cameras, what if he checked them out?”

Minhyuk had the guts to chuckle at her, “There were too many of them. Yong hyung was too lazy to do something like that.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure. Don’t worry about it,” he rubbed reassuring hands on both of her arms. He then fished out something out of his pocket then give it to her, “Here’s your key. By the way, do you have a day off next week? I’m going to take you out on our second date...”

Soojung’s face gleamed at the mention of another date, but decided not to show it by pursing her lips, “Does it have to be on a weekend?”

“Nope. I honestly preferred a weekday, but if it’s the only day you’re available, it’s okay then.”

“Well, I need to see my schedule since I’ll have a photoshoot in London next week, so probably a few days before that?”

“Okay, call me when you’ve had settled a date,” his phone was ringing at the time, he saw that it was Yong hyung, “Ah... it’s too bad. I have to go, it’s my turn to perform after this. Do you want to go first or should I?”

She told him that she was going first, but took a second to warn him, “Wait for 5 minutes after I’m gone, okay?”

Ara,” he smiled, then surprising her by stealing a kiss from her. She was about to scold him once again for that, but Minhyuk told her to be quick since his hyungs was probably wondering where he was.

Ugh, that sneaky, handsome, annoying bastard.

She stomped her way back to her group, passed through the staff that were scattering around. One of them seemed to know her, but Soojung didn’t notice the girl. The girl shrugged it off, thinking that she could greet her later, then went on her way to where Soojung had appeared from. She was startled when she found herself face to face with none other than Kang Minhyuk of CNBLUE, with his phone attached to his ear. He seemed to be in a rush, even so he bowed to her politely anyway, and she bowed back, stunned.

This looked like a repeated scene from weeks earlier, when she was being a staff for The Heirs filming.

It came down to her that could it be... the couple still maintaining their relationship after the filming?

She immediately took her phone out then browsed to a certain forum where usually consisted of staff and crew members from various media. Most of them are her friends, and apparently some of them also had gotten suspicious about these two idols.

 

Oh my God, you wouldn’t believe what I just saw in SBS Gayo Daejun!

I saw Kang Minhyuk and Jung Krystal came out from the same place. Again!

Remember when I told you guys about that time while I was in The Heirs crews?

This is exactly just like that!

 

Omo! I know, right? I think I saw them too on Christmas night in Cheong-gye cheon...

 

Oh! Me too, me too! I wasn’t sure back then since it was at midnight, but if someone else’s saw them too, then it might be really them, right?

 

Wah! Are they dating for real?

 

Did you take some pictures?

 

I didn’t. It was dark, so I thought it was useless.

 

Ah... that’s too bad...

 

***

On New Year’s eve, Kang Minhyuk was just came home from SBS Drama Awards when Heechul hyung called him to come over. The other CNBLUE members had gone to a party somewhere in downtown Seoul, leaving him all alone in his dorm. He decided to take out on Heechul’s offer. He changed his clothes into something comfortable then went off to Heechul’s dorm not so far from his.

They spent the night watching LOL Championship, some people believed that watching it during New Year’s eve would bring them a marvelous year, but really, it was only an excuse for people like him who didn’t have anything else better to do.

Heechul brought him a drink; he was already a bit tipsy from the beers, that’s why he was recording him while watching TV, “Wahh... uri Minhyukkie is really handsome!” He laughed hysterically when Minhyuk trying to take the phone out from him and turned it off, face reddened in an instant. But even in his early state of drunkeness, Heechul’s hand was faster. He turned his body around and out of Minhyuk’s reach, uploading the short video to his SNS account.

Then he found another idea, “Oh! I should send this to Soojung!”

That make the drummer boy jumped out of his seat to prevent his hyung from doing so; Heechul successfully running away from him with his fingers tapping on his phone to find Soojung’s number. They were playing cat and mouse around the room, and finally Minhyuk had caught up with him and took the phone away, only to find out that the video had been ‘sent’.

Heechul was grinning from ear to ear as Minhyuk hang his head low, feeling kind of defeated.

Yah, hyung! Why are you being like this?”

Heechul plopped himself down to the couch, patting a seat beside him to the younger boy, “Ahh... Minhyukkieee... you’re absolutely no fun...” he protested in his slurred voice, “You didn’t drink the beers, you didn’t let me recording you and what is this? Are you really came here just to watch TV? Yah, you could’ve just watch it in your own dorm...”

Yah hyung, you’re the one who had invited me over, and now you’re kicking me out?”

“It’s not that,” Heechul dismissed him with an uncoordinated waved of his hand, “But you’re just too dense. Seriously. The only time I saw you looked so happy was that time when we’re filming your drama.”

Jinjja?” Minhyuk scoffed openly on his statement, “Hyung, you barely know me at all. I’m perfectly happy with my life right now.”

Arasseo... but that was the first time I saw you could open up with other people like that. If it wasn’t for that, and for Soojung to brought up that side of you in front of my eyes, I wouldn’t want to invite you over.”

Minhyuk stared blankly at Heechul; he was so straight forward that Minhyuk couldn’t find any words to counter his brutal, honest opinion. He hid his sad face behind his hand, bending his head down and jutted his lower lip a bit. He knew he wasn’t that kind of person to have fun with; he was too shy to even try, that’s why he wanted to be friends with people like Heechul.

Hyung, why are you so mean to me?”

Heechul burst into a fit of laughters, patting the younger boy’s back playfully. His laughter only died down when a ringing sound echoed throughout the room. Their eyes searched for the forgotten phone that was left on the dining table. He answered the phone as he walked back to the couch where Minhyuk was, a smirk plastered on his lips, “Youbuseyo? Soojung-ah!!”

Yah, oppa! What was that?!

Heechul’s eyes watching Minhyuk’s reaction as his small eyes widened a bit, “Yah, is that how you greet your sunbae, Soojung-ah? Not even a ‘Happy New Year’ for me?”

Happy New Year, Heechul oppa...” Heechul laughed hearing her exaggerated, half-hearted, sweetened voice, “Now tell me, why did you send me that video? Is Minhyuk oppa with you there?

Wae? You should’ve thanked me for that, he looked absolutely handsome in that video, right?”

It’s awesome how Heechul could tease 2 people in different places at the same time; he could imagined how red she must be, just as red as the young boy in front of him. “Do you want to talk to him?”

Mwo?!

Heechul offered his phone to Minhyuk just before he could hear any of their refusal. Without no choice, Minhyuk took the phone reluctantly, “Youbuseyo? Soojungie? Ne, it’s me.”

Heechul raised a brow as he watched their interaction intently. Minhyuk glanced worriedly at him every once in a while, looking so uncomfortable with him there. Even so, Heechul noticed that the awkwardness couldn’t stop him from smiling automatically, just like what he had said from that TV show.

Yah, oppa, what are you doing with Heechul oppa? Did he find out about us?

“I don’t know, he’d just invited me over all of a sudden,” Minhyuk fidgeting on his seat, making Heechul wished he could hear what they were talking about. “So, how’s China?”

So, they did keep in contact with each other. Another thing that Heechul had gathered so far.

It was great, I guess. We’ll be back to Korea tomorrow night. Oh! Oppa, I’ve heard you won Best Rookie Awards from SBS. Is that true?

“Oh, you’ve heard that? Wah... news did spread so fast...”

Wahh! Chukkae, oppa! I’m so proud of you...

A grin formed on Minhyuk’s lips; his postur relaxed for a second, but it turned back to rigid when he saw a questioning stare from Heechul.

“Nah... it’s all thanks to you, Jungie-yah...”

Heechul was taken aback to hear him calling her like that. How close they were actually? The only people who ever called her that were her sister and the f(x)’s member. Even Heechul himself had never been that close to her to have that privilege.

Ah, oppa, I’m sorry. I have to go now. Oppa, you need to be careful with Heechul oppa, okay? He’s really, really sneaky. Aissh... jinjja, I’m going to kill him someday. Annyeong, oppa, Happy New Year!

“Happy New Year...” Minhyuk tapped the red button on Heechul’s phone and gave it back to its owner. He was confused to see the dumbstruck look on his hyung’s face, “Wae?”

“Did she...? Yah! Did she hang up on me just like that? Yah, Kang Minhyuk! Did you forget that you were talking with her with my phone?! Aiishh... these little punk, jinjja...”

Minhyuk did escape from Heechul’s playful punch, “She was in a rush, hyung. Besides, it’s you who told me to talk with her. Seriously, what’s wrong with you?” he mumbled the last sentence as so not to be heard by the older guy, but he did.

Aiishh... this ungrateful brat. I just helped you to get closer with Soojung, and this is what I’ve got?”

Minhyuk barely kept his poker face to hear what Heechul had just said. He wanted to tell him that he had already handled her just fine, but he didn’t want to hurt his hyung feeling. Besides, he would only be revealing his secret relationship with Soojung if he did that. But he was curious, “Why did you think that I need help, hyung?”

“Because you’re absolutely not her type,” Heechul said earnlestly, unaware that Minhyuk now had sported a frown on his forehead, “She really really likes someone who had a ‘bad boy’ image. There’s a lot of boys who had a crush on her but she didn’t even give them a glance just because they’re not her type. And you Minhyuk, you’re the epitome of what a good guy should be. I honestly thought that you wouldn’t have any chance with her, but since she seemed a bit interested with you, so I thought I should’ve just help. You’re one of the guy who everyone wanted her to be with.”

Well, that was a lot to take for Minhyuk. He surely didn’t know that he wasn’t even Soojung’s type, but she did accept him to be her boyfriend. So, what does it all mean? She either likes him that much or she was just playing with him since he’s the one who was chasing her? Or worse, did she date him just because she knew that he was the one person that everyone she knew would’ve approve of? He didn’t know if he should be flattered or being absolutely worried about this.

“So...” Minhyuk hesitated to ask this question, so he gathered up his courage, “You said that I’m one of the guy that everyone wanted her to be with? Who is everyone? And does it mean that these people have tried to paired her off with someone else?”

Heechul seemed to think about it, he took a long deep breath before he answered, “Well, not exactly. We’ve never really paired her off with someone who didn’t have any potential, like with Suho, because it was obvious that she didn’t like her. We thought that Minho would get a real chance with her, but they decided that they didn’t see each other that way. What bothers me the most was Kai, he had everything that Soojung would like; the bad boy exterior, but actually a good boy inside. It’s too bad that he didn’t seem to have any interest with her...”

Suho, Minho, Kai. Suho, Minho, Kai. Suho, Minho, Kai. It wasn’t hard to remember their names since Minhyuk had known them before, even though they weren’t that close. He thought that his real competitors was Suho since he was the one who had never given up; when he realized that Minho had a close relationship with her, even until now. They’ve had a CF filming recently, Soojung had told him herself, and he wondered how close they really were. And as for Kai, even though Heechul said that he didn’t seem to have any interest with her—which is unlikely, because it was so easy to fall for Soojung—he couldn’t get over the fact that Kai had everything that she would ask for.

Should he be worried?

He wanted to ask if there’s anyone else that he should’ve known about, but Heechul hyung had already fast asleep on the couch, the alcohol in his system had finally gotten to his head. Minhyuk sighed. He wasn’t usually the type of guy who gets jealous over nothing. Soojung was simply too beautiful and too attractive for her own good that he couldn’t help to think if he was good—or rather, bad enough—for her to stay in this relationship for long? It’s not like he didn’t have any confident with his good looks, but with Heechul’s revelation earlier, what if someone else who was more her type came into her life? Would she leave him for that guy?

He took his phone out that was secured in his pocket, he didn’t want to take a risk if Heechul got to see the screensaver on his phone. It was a picture when he did steal a kiss on her lips, something that had become his habit, and she looked so happy in it. His lips twitched just with the thought of her lips, something stirred in his heart as the memory of them being together rushed to every cells in his brain, sending out a warm feeling within his blood. He suddenly craved for her presence, to see that pretty eyes staring back at him, to hear her tingling laugh that could light up his whole world, to hold her petite body within his arms, and his only.

He closed his eyes as a realization came down upon him.

Jesus Christ, he truly had fallen for her.

***

The next day they’ve awaken very late in the afternoon due to the blarring sound of a phone. Minhyuk was the first one to open his eyes to locate the damn phone, while Heechul’s hand grabbed all around the couch with his eyes closed. He found his phone to see who was calling, a series of curses escaped his mouth as his head suddenly felt like it was got beaten with a hundred trucks at the moment he opened his eyes. He didn’t care who was it though, so he tapped the reject button without looking then searched for the button to turn it off. After that, Heechul went back to his deep slumber.

After a while Minhyuk got up from the couch since his stomach had been growling for food. He had only eaten a cup of ramen last night, and skipped a breakfast this morning, so it wasn’t a surprise that he was famished right now. He rummaged through the kitchen and found just enough ingredients to make some omellete and soup. He checked the rice cooker to see if there’s any rice in there, and found nothing. He breathed a heavy sigh. It seemed like that he need to prepare everything for his late brunch.

He woke Heechul hyung up once the food had been ready; he even managed to make some kind of hangover reliever that Jonghyun hyung had once told him for Heechul. The older guy thanked him for the food and the reliever, and after Minhyuk was sure that Heechul was going to be alright if he left him all alone, only then he took his leave from Heechul’s dorm.

On his way to his own dorm, Minhyuk took out his phone to see if there’s any messages from his girlfriend. He was smiling to himself as he saw that Soojung had sent him the video that Heechul sent last night, below the video she added a few cute emoticons with hearts all over it. She also asked if he had fun last night and practically ordering him to call her if he had awaken. He tapped his reply on his smart phone, when someone called him from afar.

He recognized them as EXO members as they approached him. One of them, Kris hyung, patted him on his arm, “Minhyuk-ah, what are you doing here? Where is Yonghwa hyung?”

Minhyuk knew that Kris hyung and Yonghwa hyung had been somewhat close since they’ve often played basketball together with the EXO members. Minhyuk and the others occasionally joined them, but they weren’t that close as Yong hyung did. He looked around and see that Kris were accompanied with Suho and Kai. Great.

“Ah hyung, I was just on my way home from Heechul’s hyung apartment. And what about you, guys?”

“We’re just on our way back from SM office. Oh, I saw SBS Drama Awards last night. Congratulations for your winning, ahh it’s too bad that Soojung didn’t get one. Both of you looked so good in that drama.”

A tension was palpable in the air when Soojung’s name was mentioned. It seemed like Kris hyung was oblivious with it or he was doing it on purpose to tease both of his maknae who had ‘something’ with the girl. Minhyuk could see from the corner of his eyes how Suho glared openly at his hyung, while Kai who was standing behind a few steps from his hyungs staring straight at Minhyuk with his jaw clamped shut.

Minhyuk kept his cool and calm act in front of them, bowed his thanks to Kris, “Thank you, hyung. I'm sorry, but I need to go now. See you later?”

“Oh, ne. You should play basketball with us sometimes. It's been so long since we play together,” Minhyuk just nodded his affirmation to Kris, not sure if he would take up his offer after what he had learn last night. He bowed to him once, followed with a slight nod to Suho. The two of them walked ahead leaving Kai behind. Kai didn’t do anything to acknowledge him whatsoever, but Minhyuk couldn’t care less. He was about to walk passed him when Kai purposefully bumped him on the shoulder. Hard.

Minhyuk rolled his eyes and stopped to face him. How rude. He knew that Kai was younger than him, and he wouldn’t bothered if he didn’t greet him politely like a maknae always do to their sunbae, but bumping into him like that was a little bit too much.

“What was that?” Minhyuk confronted him, as far as he knows he didn’t have any problem with this kid. Minhyuk was the only one who was fully aware of their real situation here, so he couldn’t find any reason for Kai to behave like that towards him.

Hyung,” he finally looked at Minhyuk in the eye, but he couldn’t find any sort of remorse from his eyes, “I saw you with Soojung the other day.” Kai’s voice was barely a whisper so that no one could hear him except for Minhyuk. He tilted his head, face as unreadable as ever, “Are you dating her?”

So he knew. Minhyuk’s expression gave nothing about his answer. He is a great actor, so he could keep his composure better as he responded, “What are you talking about?”

Now it was Kai’s turned to roll his eyes. A bitter smirk formed on his lips. Kai was about to say something, but he was interrupted by Suho hyung. The other two boys had walked several feet away from him when they realized that Kai didn’t follow them.

Yah, Kai. What are you doing?”

Ne, hyung. I’ll be right behind you,” Kai shouted back. He gave one last look at Minhyuk from head to toe, let out a scoff before he finally turned away and walked off to his fellow members. Minhyuk stared sternly at the boy’s back, while Kris and Suho gave off a questioning look to each other.

Minhyuk was right. There’s no way that he didn’t have any interest with Soojung.

Well, at least, now he knew where he should keep his eyes on.

***

A/N: The different colors on the chat section means a different person.

PS: A quick correction for the last part, sorry guys I should've cross check it before posting it. Thank you for reminding me, hehe. Btw, I've watched the SBS Gayo Dajeun full show and about 85++ fancam for my reference. You can see this video (I was giggling when I saw this, lol) and this one where you can see Yonghwa had a friendly talk with Kris. You can see from the comments below who said that Yonghwa had said in his interview that CNBLUE and EXO were often play basketball together since their dorms were pretty close