Chapter 4

Tangled

Disclaimer: Still own nothing. As much as I want this story to be real, even if it was based on some real events that I've seen in pictures, this is still a fiction.

***

She threw the pink-covered book to her bed for the nth times. Mumbling the sentences she just read, she scrutinized every detail of her expressions in front of the mirror. Her eyes needed to show more anger, but it meant that she would have to wrinkle her forehead even more. Andwae, she needed to find some other way so that she wouldn’t looked older. She tried every methods she could ever think of; scrunched her nose, pouted her lips, raised her eyebrows, stomped her feet... God, how hard this could be?

She retrieved the script from her bed with a slight thump on her steps. She read her next lines and suddenly felt more frustrated. She threw herself to the bed then started whining like a little kid, rolling her body on the bed.

Ottokeeee...???

She was now staring at her phone screen, her thumb hovering on top of the number that was displayed. Minhyuk oppa.Fortunately, she managed to exchanged their numbers on the day of the first script reading. She knew she needed his favour, she needed to practiced her acting with him, and worked on their chemistry. She had tried to practice her script with her sister, it helped a bit, but it wasn’t enough. Sica unnie had encouraged her to just call him, telling her that he must be thinking the same way—they’re playing as a couple for God’s sake—but why oh why did she had to make the first move?

She scolded herself for being such a shy girl. She took a deep breath and huffed them out, closing her eyes, she finally pressed the dial button.

First dial tone.

Second dial tone.

Why didn’t he pick up his phone?

Third dial tone.

She swore to herself if he didn’t answer by the next tone, she would hang up.

But even as she heard the last dial tone and directed to the voice message, he didn’t answer her call. She tried to deny the slight pang that came out of nowhere in her chest, feeling a bit dejected. She was assuring herself that he might be busy so she called him about 3 more times without any difference. She stared at her phone screen for a few minutes, hoping that his name would be blinking rapidly miracolously, as if he would call her back.

She didn’t remember she had fallen asleep while clutching her phone.

The next thing she knew, she woke up with a startle.

It was Kang Minhyuk, calling her at 11.06 pm.

Youbuseyo...” she answered him with a sleepy voice.

“Oh, did I wake you up? I’m sorry... Just go back to sleep, I’ll call you in the morning—“

“—wait, Oppa~~~” she cut him off immediately, “I’ve been waiting for your call all night, and you’re just going to hang up? What was that...”

She could hear his laugh over the phone. Seriously, how could he still laughing at this time of the night?

Oppa, what time is it? Why did you just call me now?”

He laughed again, “I’m sorry, Krystal-ssi... I was just done rehearsing with my band so I didn’t hear your calls. Are you mad?”

Aniya...” was her answer, she did feel a bit peeved, but he didn’t need to know that. He must be really tired, “I’m the one who should say sorry for disrupting your rehearsal. Aren’t you tired? Maybe I should just call you back tomorrow...”

Yah, are you trying to prank call me?” he scolded her, still laughing, “You’re the one who told me not to hang up, now you’re trying to hang up on me? Just tell me what is it, Krystal-ssi... You’re making me curious I couldn’t even sleep.”

She pouted her lips, hiding her smile even though he couldn’t see her. “It’s not really important... I was just wanted to ask you...” she hesitated, “...if you would practice our script together. If you’re not busy...”

There was a long pause. She didn’t know what he was doing, but he’s making her nervous. “Oppa? Are you still there?”

Oh. Krystal-ssi... I’m really really sorry, but these days I’ll be very busy. Even if I would have time, it would be late at night, and I don’t think it would be safe for you. Is it okay if we practiced over the phone? I’ll let you know once I’ve done with my schedule, what do you say?”

Krystal hid her disappointed sigh after hearing his answer. She knew it. Somehow. His band was so busy this year, she wondered how he was going to manage his performances with the filming schedule. She could only hope it didn’t make their acting looked awkward on screen.

“It’s alright, oppa,” she finally said, “But don’t push yourself if you’re really tired. I’ll be very guilty...”

Ara,” he chuckled then suggested, “Maybe we could practice the morning before the filming? I’ll come to the set early...”

She didn’t realize that a smile immediately formed on her lips, “Jinjja? You promised?”

She could already hear his laugh right after her question, “I promised. So, I’ll call you tomorrow night, Krystal-ssi?”

“Hm,” she hummed her confirmation, “But oppa, you can just call me Soojung, you know? I’d be more comfortable when people call me by my real name...”

“Is that so?” She confirmed her answer again, “Then... can I call you Soojungie?”

She was very startled by his sudden request. It wasn’t that she was against the idea of they’re calling each other pet names, it was just they weren’t that close. They’re just met and really talked to each other once! But then, he was probably just teasing her...

“Krystal-ssi... are you there? It’s okay if you don’t like it—“

Ani~! It’s okay, really. Oppa, don’t call me Krystal-ssi anymore, okay? It sounded awkward.”

Geude?”

Oh,” she nodded, “Oppa, aren’t you sleepy? You sounded really tired...”

“Is that so?” even in his state, he still could laugh, “Geude. Good night, Soojungie... Dream of me, okay?”

Oppa~!” she could hear him laugh out loud before she bid him goodnight. How can he still have the energy to , seriously?

That night, she was sleeping with a slight blush on her cheeks, dreaming about a guy who had a smiling eyes and the sound of his laugh as her lullaby...

***

You have received message(s).

 

Minhyuk unlocked his phone. A smile instantly curved on his lips as he read who was sending him the message.

 

Soojungie

Oppa

Where are you?

 

Minhyuk oppa

I’m in the changing room

Did you just arrive?

 

Her reply was just a second away. The smile on his face turned into a low chuckle. He could already imagine her frown as he read her texts.

 

Soojungie

Why were you in the changing room?

You promised me to meet in the cafe

Oh my God!

Did they moved up the filming?

But we haven’t even practice!

 

It was a few days ago when she called him right in the middle of his practice with his band. His band made some kind of rules that they need to put their phones away during rehearsal. Based on past experiences, one phone call could ruined hours of hardwork. Besides, it broke everyone else’s concentration and moods just in a split second. In case of emergency, they told anyone who mattered to call their manager instead.

That’s why he didn’t know that Soojung had called him, not until he and his band had done practicing. Yes, she managed to get his number within the first few hours of their interaction, and yes, it was her who asked him first. He rememberred how she was giving him her puppy eyes while turning her body right and left. She was shy, he knew it, but she was doing aegyo without even realizing it. He simply couldn’t resist such excessive cuteness.

Well, who could?

So he came early this morning to the set, watching the crew prepared everything for the filming today. He was just about to reply her text when suddenly the girl was calling out his name.

Did he ever say how fast and energetic this girl is?

Oppa!

There was a little jump on her steps as she saw him. He turned around, couldn’t contain his laugh at how happy she looked just by seeing him.

“Oh!” she stopped right in front of him, then scrutinizing him in amazement. “Oppa, did you cut your hair?”

He grinned, nodded at her question. “Oh. The director told me to came earlier for this. So, what do you think?” he bent his head closer to her, showing her his new look.

He noticed a slight flush on her cheeks, as she admitted, “You look great, oppa,” and he smiled a little more. Oh... how he loves teasing her. She was like his very own entertainment. Those nights when they have practiced together by phone, he could imagined her reaction every single time he . No matter how tired he was, somehow the weariness just faded away as he heard her cheerful voice. And now seeing her reaction directly was totally epic.

“I think you really should keep this hair style, oppa. It suits you very well,” she added with more confidence.

Aigoo~~~” out of a sudden, his hand moved by itself to ruffle her hair. He was enjoying it when he realized what was he doing. It was an awkward moment as his hand frozen on her head and stopped ruffling her hair and she stared at him with a very surprised look. He tried to keep it cool and safe himself from humiliation. He coughed a little, before trying to make some kind of joke about it, “Don’t look so surprise, Soojungie. I was just having a head start of our practice. Did I make your head ache?” he patted her head softly, then put his hand back to his side as she shook her head no.

Smooth, Kang Minhyuk, very smooth, he cursed at himself for losing control. He prayed that it didn’t make her think that he was a weird person, or worse, making her stay away from him. That would be a disaster.

Oppa,” her voice waking him out of his reverie. He didn’t expect her to talk to him after that, but he felt so relief that she did. “Next time, warn me first before you do something like that. And can you do that more softly? You make my hair look like a mess...”

He was struggling not to burst out laughing hearing her request. Here he was, nervous that she would mad at him for his impolite action, but all she care about was her look. This girl sure full of surprises. And make him did things that he would never even dare thought to do so. If it was any other girl, he probably would whispering apologies endlessly. But he was surprising himself as he once again ruffling her hair now fully conscious, “Like this?”

Oppa~!

He was satisfied with her reaction, less startled, more annoyed. It was better than awkward. “Get used to it,” he ruffled her hair some more, “I’m most likely make a habit of it,” and grinned when he saw her pouted.

***

As promised, they had a few hours of practicing. They found a comfortable couch and sit there side by side, asking for each other opinions. She was amazed at how calm and composed he was with handling her. Sica unnie got frustrated within a few minutes of helping her—mostly because her sister is a true woman and Soojung keep on telling her to act more manly—but here he was, laughing and smiling all the time even when she was complaining like a brat.

Oppa, are you sure it’s okay if I do this?” she asked when they practiced the scene where she needed to cover his mouth, “What if I accidentally hit your nose?”

As usual, his reaction was only some other variations of smiling and laughing: chuckle. It was slowly getting on her nerves. What was so funny? She’s asking him seriously!

“Soojungie, you can do anything that you’re comfortable with as long as you’re not hurting me…”

And how come she would knew if she was hurting him or not?!

That’s why I’m asking you, Minhyuk oppa! Aisshh~~

This was an absolute torture for her.

Not to mention that her heart couldn’t stop beating rapidly since she saw him this morning—who knew that he would be so drop-dead gorgeous with just a slight haircut—she wasn’t prepared for it. At the first script reading she didn’t thought that he was a danger to her heart—yes he is freakishly tall, surprisingly kind, and had a very attractive eye-smile—but now added with some fresh look and a lot of teasing from his part, don’t even remind her about that ruffling hair scene, this practice had officially felt like a marathon for her. She didn’t know what to do, her face felt hot due to countless times of blushing here and there, and her head’s dizzy everytime he laughed.

Keep yourself together, Jung Soojung. Keep yourself together.

She was about to take her bottle of mineral water on the table in front of them, when he propped up his chin on his hand, asking her in a made up serious tone, “That make me wondering… Soojungie, have you ever had a boyfriend before?”

That successfully made her frozen. Her hand was stopping in mid-air as she heard his question. She blinked a few times as if she had forgotten what was she was about to do. Slowly, she turned her eyes to Minhyuk who was staring at him curiously. She could see him hold his laugh as he saw her turned her eyes away and blushing. Again.

Is this guy for real?!

Oppa... why are you asking that?” she said, now fidgeting with her hands, her eyes casted down to her lap.

“I was just curious,” he lifted his shoulders, “Some past experiences could give us some advantages of what’d you like by being a couple. I, personally, like holding hands. What about you? What do you like to do with your boyfriend?”

“I...” she still couldn’t look him in the eyes, too embarrassed to even lifted her head up, “I’ve never had a boyfriend before.”

What?

She was fanning her face with both of her hands, then patted her cheeks while breathing in and out slowly. She wished someone just shoot her in the head right now rather than having to answer that kind of question.

Where were those haters when she needed them the most?

“You’re kidding, right?” Minhyuk asked her again, looking at her intently to see if she was telling him lies by any chances, “Don’t tell me no one had ever asked you out before. You’re too pretty to be left unnoticed,” he said sincerely.

Biting her lips, she glanced at him hesitantly, “But it’s true…”

He snorted in absolute disbelief, “Tsk, tsk, tsk. Daebak. How come?”

She shrugged, “Sica unnie said that I was too young…”

He looked at her sternly, “You’re almost 20. Everyone else’s probably dating since they were 15. Look at Lee Bona. She was only in High School but she got 2 boyfriends already.”

“Then what about you, oppa?” she fired back, surprising him and herself at once, “How many girlfriends did you have? It’s not like they’re matter anyway. You don’t have to have any experiences as a couple to act like one. Besides, I’ve known a lot of unnies who had never dating anyone until they’re past 20’s and they were all just fine.”

She was about to say something more when she suddenly covered and transformed back to the shy girl just a few minutes earlier. “I’m sorry, oppa,” she bowed to him awkwardly, “I didn’t mean to rattle on you like that, it’s just that—“

But Minhyuk was totally burst out laughing at her behavior. Hard. Like absolutely amused he was clutching his stomach while his other hand beating his own thigh repeatedly. He even shook his head and shed some tears out of the corner of his eyes. He had a hard time to catch his breath, only to laugh again as he saw her pouted miserably at him, “Soojungie… You should see your face. It was so funny—I can’t—“

“Glad I can amuse you…” she said with scornful face.

Aisshh… don’t be mad,” he ruffled her hair once again, only to have her glaring at him. Yes, she was really mad. “Alright. Fine. I’ll stop laughing. C’mon, you can’t stay mad at me forever. Give me a smile… Hm?”

He was giving her his killer eye-smile that she swore no one could ever resist.

Damn it, oppa! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?

In seconds, she was holding her smile by biting her lips. She wasn’t going to give up so easily, but seriously, she couldn’t be mad at him anymore. She was pathetic.

A few minutes later, Park Shin Hye came and joined the two of them. They were rehearsing together for their scene in the café, and it wasn’t long when Shin Hye commented, “Have both of you worked on your chemistry? I know it is hard to be all lovey-dovey on your first scene, but you need to at least be more comfortable with each other. You came early for this, right?”

Krystal could only stare on her lap while Minhyuk glanced at her with the corner of his eyes, hiding his knowing smile. Shin Hye watched the two of them with curiosity and asked, “What happened? Is something wrong?” Shin Hye then looked at Minhyuk, whispering ‘what did you do?’ at him sternly.

Minhyuk hold up his hands in defense, “Aniya, noona. I didn’t do anything. It was just—“

“It wasn’t his fault, unnie…” Krystal came to his rescue, despite the fact that she did want to blame him so much, “Minhyuk oppa tried to work on it really hard, I think I just wasn’t ready yet, and it is kind of embarrassing so…”

But Shin Hye knew better than to believe her, she squinted her eyes at Minhyuk, “Aigoo, you don’t have to impersonate Lee Bona by defending your boyfriend all the time, Krystal-ssi. Sometimes boys like him need to have a taste of their own action.” Shin Hye now looking at Krystal with mischievous eyes, “How about I tell you some embarrassing moments of Minhyukkie on our previous drama?”

Noona~!

Shin Hye ignored him while she was persuading Krystal who looked absolutely brighten with her suggestion.

“Yes, unnie! Please tell me!” Krystal exclaimed happily, then glanced at defeated Minhyuk only to sticking out her tounge at him playfully.

The girls now talked and laughed happily like some kind of best friend. Once in a while, Minhyuk joined in to get the story straight, but none of the girls care. By the time the director told them to get ready and change their outfit for the filming, Krystal’s mood had never been better since she got the role. Shin Hye unnie is the best, she thought earnestly.

***

The filming went surprisingly well for now. Minhyuk was kind of worried with Soojung’s performance, but as soon as the camera’s rolled, she was actually not that bad. He was now sitting at one of the seat inside of MangoSix, while she was outside of the cafe getting some more directions from the director. She looked simply stunning with her over the top white sweater and black miniskirt—which was really short—showing off her long-white-smooth legs. He was wearing a matching outfit with her, a white button down shirt with simple black pants, which was according to her, high-lighting his slender and tall figure.

“You might want to keep your eyes off of her before someone caught you staring, Minhyukkie...”

Park Shin Hye giggled at his startled face. She smiled knowingly as Minhyuk reddened but still playing it cool. “Be careful, Minhyukkie, or you might getting into some scandal if you keep on doing that,” she warned her playfully.

Ani...” Minhyuk denied it quickly, “It’s just she was so cute, I couldn’t help to think of her as a little sister,” he said, trying to give some reason on his behaviour.

Shin Hye snickered at him, “For now,” she , “But I know that look. Sooner or later you’ll realize that you’re only trying to fool yourself. Don’t tell me I didn’t warn you.”

Minhyuk chuckled at her statement, “We’ll see, noona.”

At the time, the director called him out for filming outside of the cafe. He bowed to Shin Hye and rushed to the door, approaching the director and a smiling Krystal. Once they’re on the sidewalk, right beneath the sun light, Shin Hye saw him put his green jacket over her head to protect her from the sun.

Shin Hye sighed. Slowly but sure, he was falling hard, and he didn’t even realise it. Yet.

***

A/N: I'm back! Sorry for the late update, a busy week turned out to be a busy month. Not to mention that I've starting this one over and over again, I even had thought to split it in two chapters, but then I'll probably need another week to finish it off, so I decided a longer chapter won't hurt anyone right? Hehe, who loves a devilish Minhyuk here? Well I've always thought that behind that innocent smile, hidden some really really devious mind.... >.<