Chapter 3

Tangled

Disclaimer: Still own nothing. If I did, I might as well make them dating for real. Gosh, I missed them so much I need to see them together again!

***

Annyeonghaseyo,” with a shy smile, she bowed to greet her cast mates respectfully, “Krystal Jung imnida. I’ll be playing as Lee Bona. I hope all of you could help me,” she took her seat again. To say that she was nervous would be underrated; she was trembling tremendously. Today was the first script reading for her new drama, and she had been trying hard to get into her character. She also had a lot of questions, especially regarding her relationships with Yoon Chan Young.

Speaking of her boyfriend-on-screen, she hadn’t introduced herself to the man who played the role, Kang Minhyuk. At all. There he was, sitting on the opposite end of the same table as her, and she just didn’t have the courage to greet him. She was the youngest casts of them all, and she knew that she should be the one who was running around greeting everyone else, but God damn it, she didn’t know how to do it properly.

Kim Jiwon, who sat right beside her because Krystal asked her to, had just read her lines along with Minho oppa, Woobin oppa, and Shin Hye unnie. She did well; very well actually, and it didn’t help her to ease her nerves. She envied her because Jiwon was such a great actress, and everyone praised her because she could portray her y character really well despite her sweet look. The writer and the director said that she need to practice her expression to be more arrogant so people would believe her character.

“Okay, now, let’s go to the next scene,” said the director, “Let’s see...oh, it’s Yoon Chan Young and Lee Bona, with Cha Eun Sang scene. So please, Kang Minhyuk-ssi, Krystal-ssi, and Shin Hye-ssi, please read your lines carefully.”

The scene was started with Chan Young and Eun Sang dialogue, so Krystal had more time to read her lines. Both of them seemed like they had more fun, probably because their characters are best friend and they were already friends in real life. She bit her lip. Her first scene had a lot of lovey-dovey with Chan Young; she need to covered his mouth and he would rubbing her hair multiple times—thank God there’s no hugging scenes there, because if there was, she would probably die. How could she being all lovey-dovey with a guy who she had never been talking to? Aiishh... she scratched her head lightly, regretting why she didn’t approach him first thing first the second she saw him earlier. Or better, she should let Amber unnie drag her to introduced her to him right after she had gotten the role.

Yah, Yoon Chan Young!!” She read her lines at the right time, “Take your eyes off of her!”

“Wait,” the director cut her off. “Krystal-ssi, could you have more expression while saying ‘Yoon Chan Young’? You need to look more jealous and angry, while all you did just pouted cutely. Lee Bona is a strong character, even though she’s spoiled rotten but she is not weak. Be more demanding, okay?”

Krystal nodded in embarrasment, mumbling, “Ne.” It was her first line, for God’s sake, her first line! And the director already unsatisfied with her. Everyone was watching—scratch that—scrutinizing her now. Put yourself together, Soojungie...

“Okay, can we start over? We start from Krystal-ssi...”

She took a deep breath, and tried to push away her nervousness. She put her best angry look, “Yah! Yoon Chan Young!

Ani, ani, not like that. That looked more like sulking, not angry. Let’s try again.”

Yah! Yoon Chan Young!

Yahhh...Yoon Chan Young!

“No, a bit more angry, Krystal-ssi... like ‘Yoon Chan Young’!!” the director gave her an example of a very scary glare, that she thought were really meant for her.

She was so embarrased right now, her face must turned really red at that very moment. She was starting to feel frustrated, how hard it is to say one’s name in angry tone? It wasn’t even a line! This is so embarassing, they must thought that I’m a joke...

Yah Yoon Chan Young!!!” she tried for the nth times, this time with a little thump on her feet and a glare that could kill, just like the director said.

“Woah~” everyone’s now amazed at her, some even clapped their hands. Krystal just kept her head down, feeling even more embarrased with the sudden praise.

“Don’t stop, keep it up. Read your next line,” said the director, silencing everyone else.

Finally...she mentally congratulated herself, and proceed to the next line.

***

He was smiling at her antics. No. He was trying hard to hold his laughter because that would be rude. The poor girl was struggling, hard. And that girl would be his girlfriend for a couple of months. This is the first time he ever saw her in person—well, probably they had, but they never talked—and she was already acting so cute. How he would survive for the rest of the filming? He really didn’t know. But one thing for sure, he would have so much fun.

They’re finally finishing their first lines, much to her relieved. He knew that because he took another glance at her—again—and saw how she continously took a deep breath and puffed them out with that cute little pout of hers. She pouted a lot. It’s amazing how he had noticed that she had a lot kind of pouts in a few minutes, and still look so adorably cute. He was smiling again as now it’s the writer turn to give her a suggestion about her character. Poor girl, it was just the first script reading, and everyone had already been so hard at her. He felt like he should come to her rescue and protecting her, just because he was supposed to be her boyfriend.

Okay, keep your head on the line, Kang Minhyuk.

“Krystal-ssi...” he heard the writer talked to her, “Lee Bona might be not the main character in this drama, but I hope you see that she had a very important role here. She was that character who put all of the other characters together, you know what I mean? She was from the upper class environment, so she would get along with all of the rich kids, but she also had a relationship with Yoon Chan Young who was from the lower class, so you need to get along with them, too. Yoon Chan Young would be no one if he didn’t date Lee Bona. Not to mention that she also had a link with her sunbae, and Chan Young’s father, so you’re the one who would glued them all together. So please, I hope you can work well with everyone in here and make Lee Bona a lovable character.”

Ne. Thank you very much for your advice, Kim Eun Sook­-ssi...” she bowed. Kang Minhyuk could already see the weight of her character started to make her even more nervous, he really hoped she could bear it. He also made a mental note to help her if he could, that’s for sure.

About 4 hours later, everyone had already read their lines. Each and everyone of them got some insights about their own characters either from the writer, director, and from the other casts. After this they would have lunch together and had some photoshoots. The director said that they wanted to see if they need to change some of the casts appearance to match their characters well.

He was just getting up from his seat, when a familiar voice greeted him. “Minhyukkie...” he saw Park Shin Hye smiling at him.

“Oh, noona...” he bowed to her respectfully.

Shin Hye slapped his arm playfully, “Don’t be so awkward... You’re acting like you don’t know me at all.”

Minhyuk just chuckled, “Sorry, noona. It just that we haven’t met for a long time, I thought you’re already forgotten about me,” he said, joking around with her.

Yahh... how can I forget? You’re my favorite dongsaeng of all. Aigoo~ look at you. You’ve gotten so much mature now, I bet the girls gone crazy with those eye-smiles, aren’t they?”

He smiled sheepishly, he could already feel the blood rushing to his cheeks.

“Hahaha... I see that you’re still that shy-little-boy, aren’t you? Hmm... guess you didn’t change that much, huh?”

Noona... stop teasing me,” Minhyuk pleaded, then added with a low tone, “I don’t want Yonghwa-hyung to think that you’re flirting with me.”

Park Shin Hye laughed even more, “That’s nonsense. I bet he’s doing really well without me.”

“How can you be so sure?” Minhyuk challenged her. “He was so upset that he didn’t get the role, he literally asked me to keep an eye on you.”

Jinjja?” Shin Hye asked curiously, obviously didn’t believe his words at all. “What exactly did he tell you?”

“He said,” Minhyuk then impersonated his hyung the best he could, “Minhyukkie... will you take care of my angel on set? He said that right in front of Hongki and our CEO. Especially after he knew that his role was taken by none other than Lee Minho,” he explained, trying to convinced her. But Park Shin Hye just laughed even louder.

“Stop flattering me. It won’t get you anywhere,” Shin Hye then said. “By the way, you had another cute-pretty-little-girlfriend here, Minhyukkie... have you been talking to her? I saw you trying to sneak a peek every once in a while just now...” she again. “Don’t you want to approach her? She’s been doing the same thing ever since I talked to you. How cute!”

Minhyuk kinda surprised with Shin Hye revelation, he glanced at the girl whom he knew was standing far away behind him, talking with Kim Jiwon. At that exact moment, he caught her looking at him, their eyes met for a second before her face turned red and she took her eyes off of him to look at somewhere else. He smiled. That’s right, so cute!

Suddenly, Shin Hye whispering to him, “I say... let’s go and talk to her. Show her what a gentleman you are and save the damsel in distress out of her misery. Kajja!” The next thing he knew, Park Shin Hye were already pushing him to walk towards his supposed-to-be-girlfriend.

He knew that she was nervous knowing that he was getting closer to her. He could tell by the way she was fidgeting with her feet, even pretending that she didn’t saw him coming.

“Krystal-ssi, Jiwon-ssi...” he greeted the girls first, followed by Park Shin Hye.

“Ah. Minhyuk oppa,” the girls bowed back, “Shin Hye unnieannyeonghaseyo...”

“Oh, so you knew my name,” said Minhyuk with a playful tone, “I was going to introduced myself to you, but since you already knew—“ he was stopped as Park Shin Hye nudged him by the waist.

Yah, if you’re going to be that way, the girls would runaway. No wonder they were so nervous they didn’t want to approach you first,” Shin Hye scolded him, then turned to the girls smiling sweetly. It’s scary how fast she changed her expression in a second. “Girls, if he’s giving you any trouble, you could always tell me. I will scolded him immediately. Okay?”

Minhyuk chuckled as Park Shin Hye frankly defending her girls.

Ne unnie...” the girls bowed obediently.

“So, did you guys knew each other already? I saw you two really close,” asked Shin Hye, opened up for conversation.

Ne. Jiwon unnie and I have met before in High Kick 3...” Krystal answered when Minhyuk suddenly butted in.

“High Kick 3?”

The girls nodded in unison.

Minhyuk then explained, “Oh, I had an offer to play there as well, but dropped out immediately.”

Jinjja oppa?” Krystal asked in surprised, looking at Jiwon who was equally surprised.

“Wahh... we could’ve met before...What a coincidence...” Jiwon added. “But, Shin Hye unnie also played in High Kick 2, right?”

“Oh, you knew? It was so long ago... But actually I was curious,” Shin Hye turned to Krystal, “both Krystal-ssi and Minhyukkie are idol, right? Didn’t you met each other a lot at music shows? I thought both of you would have known each other well by now...”

“Umm... unnie... that’s...” Krystal tried to answer Shin Hye, her eyes met with Minhyuk like they were asking for help...

“Actually, Shin Hye noona,” out of a sudden, it’s Minhyuk who was speaking out, “Usually at those music shows, there were so many people at once, and we were all busy with our own practices. So it was almost impossible to greet every and each one of them properly. Especially since we’re not from the same company. We’ve probably met before, but we didn’t know each other personally, so...” their eyes met again, and this time both of them smiling at each other in understanding.

Ne unnie,” Krystal added, “To be honest, 2 of my members in f(x) were pretty close with other CNBLUE member, like Yonghwa oppa. But I personally had never met him before—“

“What?” Shin Hye asked in surprise, “You’ve never met him before? Yonghwa oppa?” Krystal shook her head innocently, “Wahh... and here I thought he’s really popular...”

“He is very popular... but I only knew him from Sulli’s story or on TV, but I’ve never been talked to him in person, let alone with the other members...”

“Ohh... so that’s how it is...” Shin Hye nodded her head a few times, “I’ve been thinking about it many times before, what’s wrong with these idols? They’ve met every week on TV so I thought every idols must have knew each other pretty well. It’s really different with us, actors and actresses, we’ll only met if we were in a same drama or movie. We would be pretty close during filming, but after that, we’ll be on our own separated ways. Just like Minhyukkie and I, we were pretty close in our previous drama, but after that drama was over, I’ve never seen him anymore besides on TV.”

“But unnie, even if you haven’t met him for a long time, you’re still pretty close...”

Oh,” Shin Hye confirmed, “Just like you and Jiwon-ssi, right? Isn’t is convenient to have someone you’ve known before in a midst of strangers? It makes you feel less awkward.”

“That’s true,” Krystal smiled shyly, “Especially since this is my first drama ever, so it is a relieve to met a familiar face. I felt so relieved to know that Jiwon unnie was casted as well.”

“Aww~ isn’t she so cute?” Jiwon giggled looking at Krystal genuine confession.

“I know, right?” Shin Hye agreed, “Jiwon-ssi, is she always this cute?”

Oh, you’ll see that Krystal-ssi is a very cute and energetic girl. She’ll jump around here and there, making the whole set brigthen up with her cheerful attitude. Although she’s a bit shy for now...” Jiwon nudged Krystal as the girl beside her smiled sheepishly.

“But Jiwon-ssi, why did she called you unnie? I thought both of you were the same age?” Minhyuk asked.

Ani...” Krystal replied almost immediately, “I’m the youngest cast in here and Jiwon unnie is 2 years older than me...”

“Is that so? What year were you born?”

“’94.”

“I’m ‘92”, Jiwon added.

“Ahh... I’m ’91. So Krystal-ssi is 3 years younger than me, and Jiwon-ssi a year younger than me.”

“I’m ’90,” Shin Hye also joined in, “God, I feel so old...” she giggled.

“You’re not that old, noona...”

Yah, you’re calling me noona didn’t make me feel better at all...”

The four of them now laughing together. Their tingling sound made everyone in the room looking at them curiously. That’s when the male casts were started to join in their conversation.

Yah yah yah...” Kim Woobin put his arm around Minhyuk, “What is this? Minhyuk-ssi, did you just take all the girls for yourself? Wah... I can’t believe you had it in you. You’re really fast!”

The girls nodded and said their greetings to the male casts, which were replied with a slight nod from the guys.

Minhyuk chuckled as Lee Minho was suddenly standing on his other side, “Did you knew each other already? Seemed like all of you was really having fun in here...”

“It’s not like that, hyung...” Minhyuk denied with all his might, “We’re just barely introduced ourselves to each other... It turned out that we’ve almost met in High Kick 3. It just that I was dropped out from it, and Shin Hye noona was actually playing in High Kick 2.”

“Ohh... is that so?” Kim Woobin nodded in understanding. “Oh Jiwon-ssi, aren’t we also have met before?”

Ne oppa,” Jiwon replied, “We’ve met in ‘To the Beautiful You’, along with Kang Ha Neul oppa.”

“I see... and Minhyuk-ssi, aren’t you in the same band as Jonghyun-ssi? I’ve played with him last year in ‘A Gentleman’s Dignity’.”

“That’s right, hyung. Jonghyun-hyung also said hi and good luck to you. He said I could really look up to you.”

Woobin chuckled at Minhyuk, “I’m not that experienced. Besides, can you tell Jonghyun-ssi to teach me on Judo? I need to learn it fast for my character.”

“Oh, did your character played Judo as well?”

Woobin nodded with his signature curled lips, “My character has a black-belt in Judo. And I don’t even know how to play it,” he then laughed out loud, looking absolutely distress with his role.

“Fighting, oppa,” Krystal suddenly cheered him up, “You can do it.”

Everyone in the circle now looking at her with amused written on their faces. Once again, Krystal had turned red with the sudden attention, absolutely clueless of what she had done wrong.

Minhyuk and Shin Hye was the one who cracked up first, followed by Jiwon and Lee Minho.

Wae...” Krystal pouted in embarrasment, “What did I do? Why was everyone looking at me like that?”

“Is she your girlfriend, Minhyuk-ssi?” asked Woobin to the boy who was having a hard time to stop his laugh. When Minhyuk finally nodded in confirmation, that signature smirk of his came out on his dashingly handsome face, “How lucky. I’ve played a couple of dramas before, but not once I’ve ever been paired with a beautiful girlfriend. Poor me...”

“Wah, jinjja oppa?” Shin Hye asked, disbelief. “You’ve never been paired with a girl before?”

“Never,” Woobin replied, showing his disappointed face to Shin Hye. “Even in this drama, everyone else got a girl but me. It really really wasn’t fair.”

“Poor, oppa...” Shin Hye tried giving her sympathy, “I hope for the next role you’ll get a very pretty girlfriend and have a lot of romantic scenes with her.”

“Now I feel pity for that girl,” Woobin said seriously, but everyone laughed knowing he was joking around. “I’m really really at being romantic. Many girls would have scared just by looking at my devilish face. Maybe that’s the reason why no one willing to be my girlfriend even just for the camera,” he continued, making everyone laugh even more with his silly self pity.

Aniyaa...”

“That’s not true!”

The girls objected almost in unison. “Woobin oppa is so good looking, I bet the girls would line up to be paired up with you. Maybe they just haven’t found the right girl who could really match up with you yet,” Shin Hye tried to reason out.

Geude?” the girls nodded vigorously, “Fine. I’ll accept it for now. In the mean time, maybe I should asked some suggestion on how being romantic on Minho hyung and Minhyuk-ssi?”

Minhyuk looked a bit startled, “Well, I don’t know... I think Minho hyung had much much more experiences than me...” he looked to Lee Minho for help.

“Me? Why me? There are a lot of senior actors who had more experiences than me...” Minho looked around, and seeing the hopeful eyes of all of his cast mates somehow make him feel a bit awkward, “Well, this is weird. This is the first time I’ve become the oldest one while usually I’m one of the youngest cast,” he cleared his throat, “Well, I think the most important thing when you play as a couple is that you need to talk with your partner about the things that make the others comfortable and what’s not. You need to be honest to each other, because you don’t want to be awkward for the rest of the filming. Trust me, it will show. So yes, I think communication is the most important part, then practicing a lot will help to subside the nerves.”

“Woah~~” everyone seemed like they were absorbed with Minho’s speech.

“That’s how a professional actor shared his experience...” Minhyuk complimented him again, “Please help me at the filming, hyung...”

Yah, you’re also had some experience of being a couple, why did you still asked for my help?”

“But I’ve never had the main roles, they’re just small parts in the drama...”

“But still...”

“I’ve seen you’ve always got a kissing scene in the drama, so uri Minhyukkie must have gotten used to it,” Shin Hye joined in in what seem like a let’s-joined-forces-to-cornered-Kang-Minhyuk-game.

Noona... why are you being like this?” Minhyuk looked panic, why all of a sudden people were attacking him?

“Eyyy...” even Kim Woobin started to , “Even in this drama you’ve got to be all lovey-dovey with Krystal-ssi... I am so jealous...”

Hyung...”

Unbeknowst to Minhyuk who was currently busy defending himself from the sunbae, a certain pretty girl using that moment to stare at him openly, without the fear of anyone being suspicious. Shin Hye and Jiwon were also watching the boys silly interaction while laughing once in a while. It seemed like her boyfriend-on-screen was really a kind and friendly person, everyone seemed approaching him easily. She also realized that he’s really tall, and he has the cutest eye-smiles she ever seen. The kind of eye-smiles that made him seemed harmless.

Little did she know, that those killer-eye-smiles could let her guard down...

***

A/N: Fiuhh! Who knew that writing so many characters in a chapter could be so frustrating? Btw since I'll be busy for the next week, so I don't know if I can update this fast, but maybe... if you put some of your thoughts in the comment box below, I'll probably won't make you wait until next week... *flashing kang minhyuk's eye-smiles and krystal's cute-pouts plus kim woobin's devilish smirk* khekhekhe...