Chapter 16

Tangled

Disclaimer: Nope. I didn't claim anything as my own.

***

It’s been about 2 hours since Jessica was laying around on her bed, waiting for her baby sister to come home. It wasn’t like Soojung rarely came home late—it was something that expected ever since she officially became an idol—but Jessica could never lose that habit of worrying about her like a hen mother. Even their own mother wasn’t that worried. The first thing she did everytime she got home was checking on Soojung’s bedroom, seeing if she’s already sleeping safe and sound on her luxurious plushed bed. And everytime she found it empty, she could barely hold the urge to call or text her right away to know where she’s been.

Soojung was annoyed of course. She had told the older girl to stop nagging her all the time since she wasn’t a baby girl anymore. And Jessica had tried, God knows how hard she had tried to tone her sister complex down a little bit, but sometimes her sisterly instinct was too strong to be ignored.

And tonight was one of those nights when she felt something was coming, she tossed around her bed restlessly. The last time she felt like this was when Soojung fainted in the middle of her performance, and Jessica could never forgive herself for not noticing the signs beforehand, knowing that her sister had a severe anemia since she was a little kid.

Jessica overprotective nature was a common knowledge not only in SM town family, but also in the whole industry. Hell, probably the whole world had known it, too. That probably one of the reasons why a lot of guys didn’t have the guts to approach her little sister for a date, hence why Soojung had never had a boyfriend before, but Jessica knew that she was doing the right thing. Soojung had been a real eye catcher since she was very young; her beauty had shine through to make everyone who saw her couldn’t help but to stop and stare to admire her, that even the SM town agency had tried to recruit her at the age of 5. Jessica was jealous of her at first, she really thought that the attention that Soojung get would turn her into a snobby-arrogant-little brat, only to find her running back home with tears streaming down on her face.

Soojung was scared of people.

She would hid behind their mother’s leg everytime they went to a convinient store to do some shopping. She wouldn’t go to school without anyone walking her there and won’t come out of class until someone picked her up. The first years of her elementary school Jessica had decided to be Soojung’s guardian angel, she would gripped on Sica’s hand so tight and scooted closer on her everywhere they went, glad that they attended the same school. The hardest years of their life was when Jessica went to junior high; eventhough Jessica had patiently trained her to be braver for years, it still took a few months for Soojung to adapt and finally accept the truth that her sister couldn’t protect her all the time.

It was some kind of a miracle that Soojung could become who she is right now, and Jessica couldn’t be more proud of her. She had come a long way pushing past her fears to become an idol like now, and she’s still got a long road ahead to be a whole person with a happy life. It took her a lot of time to trust other people other than their family, it took even longer for her to open up with the SM town family, so Jessica was actually thrilled when Soojung talked about boys for the first time. Eventhough none of them had worked out for her, Jessica thought that Soojung was still so young, she had plenty of time to grow up later.  

Jessica was just about to driften off to sleep when she heard the sound of a door creaked open from across the hall. Her room was on the left wing of the hall, while Soojung’s room was on the right. Her eyes was searching for the clock, then taken a peek at what hour is it. It’s still an hour before midnight, so she got up from her bed to check her sister out.

Rubbing her eyes, she walked to Soojung’s room with a sleepy head. So imagined her surprise when she found that Soojung was lying on her bed. In her room. With a guy. Kissing.

It was enough for Jessica to see red.

YAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Her high-pitched scream was loud enough to waken up the whole town, making the two couple scurried away from each other. They didn’t even need to look at who it was, everyone would know Jessica’s signature voice anytime. But they were too late. Jessica was already chasing them with lightning speed and proceeded to punch the guy with her powerful fist. She hit, yelled, kicked him mercilessly, and the poor guy could only ducked away protecting his head from any fatal damage with his arms, while Soojung begging for her sister to stop.

If he thought that Soojung was violent, well he surely as hell knows now where did she get it from. It’s running down in her family.

Kick. “Who do you think you are, huh?” Punch. “Molesting my sister like that!” Punch, punch punch.

Noona! Noona! It’s me, Kang Minhyuk!” The poor guy tried to reason between punches, “I’m not molesting her, it was just a goodnight kiss. And I’m her boyfriend now.” Punch. Punch.

Mwo?! Boyfriend???” Jessica paused a bit when she saw that it was indeed the CNBLUE maknae. Out of all people... he was the last person on earth who she thought would do something like this to her sister. Gritting her teeth, she pulled his hair out forcefully it might fall off of his head, “You still didn’t have the right to do that! You ert!!!!!” Punch. Kick. Punch. Kick. Kick. Punch.

Unnie! Please, stop!!” Soojung bent on her knees on her bed, trying to peeled off Sica’s hand from violating her boyfriend. She knew very well how painful Sica’s punches were; despite her girly demeanor, she surely fights like a man.  

But instead of letting the poor guy out, she used her other hand to pinch Soojung’s ear furiously, “And you! Who taught you to bring boys to your room, huh?? In the middle of the night?! Kissing like that??!!” She stomped her feet on Minhyuk’s, then kick him on his knees, not even the slightest struggled that she was manhandling two of her dongsaengs in her hands.

Noona,” he reached his hands out to let Sica’s hand off of Soojung, “Don’t hurt her, please. You can do anything you want with me, but please, let her go... It was my fault.”

“Of course it was all your fault!!” And just like that, he was once again became her punching bag.

Unnie, please stop. That’s enough. You’re going to wake eomma and appa up, please unnie...” Soojung begged, throwing her most miserable puppy eyes to get her sister’s mercy.

“I don’t care! Let them know! Let them know what a bad girl you’ve become! I’m pretty sure I taught you better than this!”

Unnie~~~~~”

Looking at how Soojung was b with tears, Jessica finally relented a bit and threw Minhyuk down on the floor, leaving him bruised and battered. He was lucky that his pretty face was untouched, he would have a hard time explaining the bruises to his hyungs and management if he had. Just as Soojung was about to soothe him, loud thumps of footsteps coming out from downstairs to her room, and Soojung hurried him away to hid under the bed. Jessica glared at them, but she didn’t say anything when their parents emerged in from the door.

“What’s that noise was about, Soojung-ah?” Their mom asked and looked around, followed by their father from behind. They looked worried, afraid that it might be a robbery or something else.

“It’s okay, eomma,” Soojung answered when her mom sat on her bed and checked on her daughters out, “We’re just playing pranks with each other,” she added sheepishly.

Jessica stand still on her feet, glaring at her sister at how easy she was lying to their parents.

On the other hand, their father walked to the window, peeking through the curtains just to make sure, “Then, do you know whose car is that, Soojung-ah? Why is it parked in front of our house this late at night?”

Sica watched carefully on Soojung’s expressions as she escaped from this. At first, she looked genuinely surprised and panicked, but she composed herself just a few seconds later. Wah, daebak. She didn’t know that her sister was actually a pretty good liar.

“Ah. It must be Amber and our manager. They send me home after our practice. I bet they’ll be going back to the dorm later.”

“Oh, is that so?” Their father still looked a bit suspicious, knowing him who was a professional lawyer for years, he had had his experiences on differentiating between the lies. Jessica could never tell since their father used to sport that expressionless face all the time, but somehow, he closed the curtains and not asking more questions.

Their mom then smoothed Soojung’s hair lovingly, “Yah, both of you had grown up already, please do act like one. Your father needed to work early in the morning, so please be quiet, okay? Go to sleep, no more playing around, arraseo?”

Ne, eomma. Arrashimnida. Mianhae?” Soojung attempted a smile to their mom, which was replied with a kiss on her forehead. She then turned to her oldest daughter, giving her the same treatment she did earlier to Soojung.

“You too, Sooyeon-ah...”

Ne. I’ll be sleeping here with Soojung, eomma,” Jessica said to her mother with a weak smile.

“Okay then, we’ll be back to sleep. Goodnight, my angels...”

“Goodnight...” The sisters said in unison as their parents left the room.

Soojung waited until she heard the faint sound of their parents bedroom downstairs closed, before she gave her boyfriend a cue to get out of his hiding place. She helped him to brush off the dust off of his head and clothes, asking if he was okay, when Jessica faked a cough to remind the young couple that she was still in the room.

“You need to go home,” folding her arms in front of her chest, Jessica said icily to Minhyuk. The young man gulped nervously and nodded his head out of respect, knowing that she was still very angry with them.

“I’m sorry, noona, you have to find out like this,” he bravely said, earning a death glare from Jessica, “But please don’t took out your anger to Soojung, just put all the blame to me, noona... I really meant it...”

Yah! Who are you telling me what to do? I’ll do whatever I pleased to my sister, and it’s none of your business. Now go! Before I changed my mind.”

“But noona—“

Aisshh this guy jinjja—“ Jessica then pulled his ear out of the room and down to the front door, whereas Minhyuk barely shut his mouth from the pain, he didn’t want to wake their parents twice. Once she successfully shooed him out, she slammed the door right in front of his face. After making sure that the door had been locked, she stomped her feet back to Soojung’s room.

Soojung was just done putting on her sleeping wear when Jessica stormed in, “Seriously, Jung Soojung?! Did you really had to lie to me about this? Am I your sister or not, huh?!!”

Guiltily, the young girl kept her head down while biting her lips, “I’m sorry, unnie... I didn’t mean to lie to you, it’s just that we’re waiting for the right time to tell you...”

“Don’t try to lie to me again, Soojung-ah! I’ve seen everything and I’ve seen what a great liar you are with my own eyes. How long have you been in a relationship with him? And how far have you gone with him?”

“We’ve done nothing but kissing, I swear!” Soojung made a ‘V’ sign with her fingers to tell her sister that she was telling the truth, “Besides, we’ve only been dating for... 2 months, I guess...”

“2 months?!” Jessica yelped in disbelief, “You’ve been hiding this from me for 2 months? Yahh!” Jessica figured that if it’s only January, then they’ve been dating since December of last year. She could be more understanding if it’s only for 2 weeks, but 2 months? That’s a pretty long time to be lied to, and for her as a sister who didn’t notice the signs at all despite that they were living under the same roof... it hurted Jessica’s heart a lot.

“Wait a minute, so on Christmast’ eve, it was actually Kang Minhyuk driving Yonghwa’s car in front of our house?”

Soojung nodded her head slowly to answer her, “It was our very first date, to be honest...” and then she elaborated, “...and today was only our second date...”

“Gosh!!!” Jessica threw her hands up to the air, pacing to face her little sister who was sitting on the bed to look at her in the eye, “How many times did you lie to me these past months, Jung Soojung?”

“Well...” honestly, Soojung had lost count on how many times since she always denied Jessica’s questions regarding her boyfriend, “But I’ve never lied to you about my feelings for him...”

Jessica squinted her eyes at her, “I don’t like the way you turn into a liar, Soojung-ah.”

“I’m not!” Soojung squeaked at her accusation. She reached out for her hands and gripped them tight, “In fact, I can’t wait to tell you everything about him! Gosh, unnie, it’s been a torture to keep this a secret from you. I swear, I'll never do that ever again. Please unnie, don't be mad, please~~~”

Soojung pulled out her best aegyo to melt Jessica’s heart, but she knew that her big sister wasn’t that kind of person who forgives easily. She probably softened a bit for now, but she would watch her every move like a hawk from now on. It would be hard to gain her trust back, let alone her blessing, but she knew that Jessica was just looking out for her.

So that night, the siblings spent the night talking about her relationship with the cute drummer, and how happy she was these past days, until both of them fallen asleep in each other’s arms.

***

Minhyuk oppa

Jungie-yah, did you get to the hospital today?

 

Soojung smiled at the text. Ignoring Jessica grumble, she replied her boyfriend.

 

Soojungie

Nde, oppa... We were on our way home from the hospital.

The doctor said that my ankle is fine, I just need a few days rest until the swell subsided and I can practice again ^^

 

Minhyuk oppa

Well, that’s a relieve. But don’t force yourself, okay?

Btw, how’s noona? Is she still angry at us?

 

Soojungie

Sort of. But don’t worry, oppa, I’ll take care of her.

 

“Yah!!” Jessica shouted at her, “You’re still texting him after what he had done to you? Geez... this kid, seriously...”

Unnie, I’ve told you it’s not his fault... I fell on my own.”

“But still, he’s the one who took you to an ice rink!” She yelled some more and added in a whisper, “And I’m the one who had to take you to the hospital...”

Soojung glanced at her sister and pouted, “Unnie, he rented an ice rink for me. What kind of a boyfriend who did that these days?” She blinked her eyes under her eyelashes to give extra effect. She was pulling everything she had to dissipate Jessica’s anger state.

But her big sister won’t admit it. She just clicked her tounge as a response, a statement that she’s still very much angry with her and the boyfriend. After Soojung had told her basically everything on how they ended up together, and explained why she had to lie about it, she knew that Jessica could actually see Soojung’s reason behind it.

What bothered Jessica was that even if her sister said that she was going to tell her at the right time, knowing Soojung, she was skeptic that the right time would ever come.

“I can’t believe there’ll comes a time where I’m not your number 1 anymore...” Jessica sighed dramatically. Her baby sister had grown up, and it only take one guy to make her lie when she’s usually told her everything about her life.

“Says who?” Soojung snapped at her sister in English, “Of course you’re still my number 1, unnie. Minhyuk oppa didn’t even make it to the top 3,” which was true, no matter how much she likes him, Kang Minhyuk was stuck on number 4 after her parents, he only managed to replace her manager on her speed dial list.

Jessica was going to retaliate her again, when Soojung’s phone ringing, “Yah, seriously! Did he had to contact you all the time? He’d just texted you all day!” She ed her hand forward to take the phone away, but failed. “Give it to me! Let me talk to him! This kid really need some lesson...”

But Soojung didn’t let her, “It’s not him, unnie... It’s my manager. Geez, stop thinking bad about my boyfriend, he really is a good guy...” She then turned to answer her call, “Yobuseyo?”

“Krystal-sshi, where are you?”

“I’m on my way home with Sica unnie. Wae?”

“Please come to SM office, right now. CEO Kim wants to talk to you. Hurry up, okay?”

“Wha—“

But her manager had turned off the phone before she could ask what happened. She tried to call her back, but it went straight to voicemail. Soojung glanced at her sister. She had a bad feeling about this.

Wae?”

“CEO Kim wants to talk to me.”

***

A/N: Yep, it's me, people! I'm not dead, and I'm not abandoning this story. So sorry for the long wait, and the short chapter, I've seen a lot of people had unsubscribed this so I'm really thankfull for anyone who was waiting patiently for me to update and still had the time to read and leave a comment (finger crossed). I've been so freakishly busy these past months that I finally decided to choose and left one of my job because I can't take the work load. Hopefully that means that I can update regularly again and finish this story, so let me hear if anyone still interested with this. Love y'al!

PS: I've made some slight changes since actually current SM's CEO is Kim Young Min, while Lee Soo Man had resigned since 2010 eventhough he's still the main stake holder of SM. Sorry for the mistakes >.<