Chapter 1

Tangled

Disclaimer: I own nothing. If I did, I would've made Chanyoung and Bona had more kissing scenes ;p

***

It was a pretty hot sunny day for many people in Seoul. The heat of the sun didn't show any mercy for anyone who were already drenched in sweat, dehydrated, even though they wore clothes as thin as possible. Not even for her, who were just heading home after a long day of practicing in the studio with the other members. They were preparing for a live performance in one of the local television in South Korea, a typical routine for a girlband like them, that she finally getting used to after a few years. She wasn't complaining really, she loves singing and dancing, but hell, her body still didn't get the memo that this is what she did for a living. The aches after moving every muscle in your body for hours never dissipated even if you did the same moves over and over again.

“Ahh... finally...” She threw herself to the comfort of her bed as soon as she got into her room, not even bothered to close the door or change her clothes. No way. Her bed was her heaven and the pillows were her best friends now. She thought it must be really awesome if she didn't have to leave this bed forever. Literally. A few seconds after, she realized that her bag was in between her stomach and the bed and poking through her ribs. “Aisshh...” with all the energy she could mustered up at the time, she threw the bag over her head and ended up somewhere in the corner of her room. She knew she would probably regret it when she woke up later, but for now she really couldn't make herself to think of anything else other than sleep.

 

RRRRRRrrrrrrrr!!!!!

 

There’s no movement from the bed.

 

RRRRRRRrrrrrrrr!!!!

 

Still nothing.

 

RRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

 

Stupid phone.

 

RRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

 

She clenched her fists tight to the pillows, trying to ignore the freaking phone which still emerged to disturb her sleep even in a vibrate mode.

 

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

 

Yah!! Jung Soojung!!!” A voice from outside of her room finally made her jump in surprise. She tried to recognized the voice that apparently was Sulli’s. “If you don’t want to answer it, just turn it off! Ssshh... I need some sleep!”

Tsk! She was kind of regret it that she came to her dorm to sleep instead of to her home. It wasn't that far away from her dorm, but really, she was simply so exhausted and thought a good nap would be great. But she forgot that if there is one thing that she hated being the youngest member of the group, then this must be it: everyone could yell at her anytime. Sulli was known as a light sleeper, she couldn't sleep if there’s something that bothered her, even the slightest sound could woke her up. That’s why she’s the one who was always grumbling and whining and yelling all the time. It was annoying really, but everyone stopped complaining eventually. Sulli was a cheerful girl who could light up the room when she was in a good mood—and turned into a nasty everytime she’s in a bad one—so they were getting used to it.

It was a torture to actually getting up from bed to her bag—which was surprisingly thrown pretty far despite her lack of energy—it was another long journey to find her phone in the bag with her eyes closed. She just wanted to turn it off, but curiosity win over her as she peeked with her right eye to see the name that was blinking rapidly on her screen. It was her manager.

And all of a sudden there’s not an ounce of drowsiness left in her head for it must be something really important everytime her manager called. She racked her memories if she did anything scandalous these days, but couldn't find any. Did she forgotten a schedule today? She rushed to her table with lightning speed, checking her schedule for the month and found that she didn't have anything other than dance practice that was just done a few hours ago. Clearing , she finally answered her phone, “Yobuseyo?

***

She came back to the dorm shortly after her meeting with the management of SM Entertainment. She was still trying to digest all of her conversation earlier, wondering what was this all means to her career, if she should be delighted or nervous if she take the offer. She recalled what her manager had said to her.

“Soojung-ah... we asked you to come here because you just got an offer to partake in a new drama series. I guess it was called The Heirs? They said that Lee Minho would be the main actor in it.”

She was surprised, obviously, “Mwo?

Lee Minho was one of the best actor in Korea, every single person in the country would be dying to get an opportunity to work together with him. And for her, who was absolutely have not much experience in acting, to suddenly had this opportunity was truly a great honor.

“The script was wrote by Kim Eun Sook who had written Secret Garden and A Gentleman’s Dignity, so you can imagine how huge this project is and how lucky you are,” the manager added on, “and they said that you might be suitable for one of the character. I have read the rough script. Originally, they offered you the character as Yoo Rachel who was quite snobbish and y, they said that it wouldn't be a problem to you since you were known as the ‘Ice Princess’. Or, you can play as Lee Bona who was just a slight bit nicer and cuter than Yoo Rachel.”

Soojung tried to absorb all of this information intently. Honestly, she didn't mind with either characters. She knew that like it or not, there’s no way she would turn down this opportunity to work with these big names in Korean industry. So, she just listened to what her manager said word to word.

“But after contemplating it, we thought that you need to play Lee Bona. I think it would make a good impact on your reputation since so many people out there thought that you were this rude, unlikable girl, which we both know, and everyone in this management knows that you’re not. That’s why we never did anything to any of your scandals or insults from the fans, because we know that they didn't know the real you. So this is your chance, Soojung-ah, not just for making a great jump in your career, but also to change people’s perception about you. So, what do you think about it?”

She smiled to herself as she walked through the door to her bedroom, decided that she would stay the night in the dorm. She didn't know that her management put that much care about her in person. They usually just sit back with their eyes, ears, and mouth shut, thinking that it was normal for idols to get a rumor. Well, most people thought so. But it was never sit well for her. She was too self-conscious not to care about what people thinking about her. And it’s frustrated her that she had so many antis despite her effort to pleased them. While every other people told her to ignore the haters, she had tried everything to change her “icy” image. And by everything, she meant from keeping a low profile, being cute on reality show—even though it was embarrassing for her—to actually crying in interviews. But none of it worked. She was tired, to be honest, she couldn't keep this image and having these parade for the rest of her life that she thought of retiring early from her group so many times before, she lost count. And this is another chance for her, she didn't know what she’s going to do if this one fails.

After the call from her manager earlier, she had a few hours of sleep before she was called to the office where her manager told her about the offer. She sit down and pull it out her bag. There was written a list of the main cast and a review of each of their characters and their relationship to each other. She saw so many great names there: Lee Minho, Park Shin Hye, Kim Woo Bin... all three are the best actors and actress these days. She giggled. Oh, she would meet her co-star in High Kick 3, Kim Jiwon, and she wondered how she would play the y Yoo Rachel since in reality, she is a total angel. Then she saw the picture of a man named Kang Minhyuk, who according to her manager, would be her boyfriend on-screen. She was sure that she had met him before, probably in a music show, and she knew that he’s a member of a band named CNBLUE. She didn't know much about any other cast, but then she thought that it’s alright. They would have plenty time to know each other while filming.

Soojung-ah,” Victoria’s head suddenly appeared in front of her door, surprising her. “Ya, why did you smiling to yourself?” The leader of the group asked curiously, flopping down beside Soojung on the bed. “So, how’s the meeting? Is it something serious?”

Soojung shook her head, smiling. “Aniya...” She waved the script to Victoria-eomma, “I just got a new role.”

"Jinjja?" she asked again while Soojung gave her an excited nod for an answer. "What is it about?" she took the papers from Soojung's hand without waiting for her approval and her eyes widen as she saw the main actor that was written there. "Wait, Lee Minho?!"

Soojung gave her her widest grin. "Ne. Isn't it great, eomma?" she giggled as Victoria stared at her with surprising eyes.

"Woah...uri Soojungie...daebak!" Victoria then read the whole cast and their respective roles, finally realized that her dongsaeng actually got a pretty important role. "Yah, so you would play as Lee Minho's ex, then you and Kang Minhyuk got to play as the second lead couple?" she got another series of nod from Soojung. "Soojungie, you really are a lucky girl. You don't know how much I envy you right now. Why did they pick you instead of me?"

Soojung could only snickered as Victoria whined at her. She knew her leader meant it as half-serious half-kidding. The leader of her group is a wise and kind-hearted woman, so even though their was pretty far, it didn't matter that much. They respected each other, knowing that they would support each other for the shake of their group.

A curious Amber sneak a peek to her door, wondering what her group mates doing. "Can I join you?"

"Sure," Soojung smiled then pat the bed beside her, "Come sit here. I had some great news."

Amber's reaction to Soojung's was not much different from Victoria. She was pretty surprised and excited for her. The three were now chatting animatedly about all the cast.

"Yah, Soojung-ah..." suddenly Amber asked with a serious expression, "So you and Kang Minhyuk will be a couple..." a mischievous smile grew from her lips, making her dongsaeng felt uneasy, "do you want me to introduce you to him?"

Soojung blinked. Out of a sudden her brain seem rather slow to interpret what Amber implied with that offer. "Wait. You know him??"

That smile on Amber's face grew wider. "Of course. CNBLUE members often came by to hang with us. They're pretty close with Kyuhyun oppa, Heechul oppa, and Seohyun unnie. Don't you know that?"

"Molla," Soojung shook her head with that innocent look of hers, couldn't even think to hide her amazed look at Amber. That girl sure kneweveryone, and everyone knew her. She was probably the most easy-going person she ever met, a skill that Soojung envy so much. If only she had had that kind of personality, maybe no one would call her as the 'Ice Princess'. Maybe she wouldn't have so much antis. It's just too bad that she was too shy of a person and too introverted. "But, unnie, how do you know him?"

"Jonghyun oppa, their guitarist,introduced us once because I said I used to play drums. He had crazy skills, you know? He's also very kind and friendly. I think you would like him," she teased Soojung who was now sporting a slight blush around her cheeks.

Victoria joined Amber in teasing their youngest member, "Ohh...look at her! She liked him already! Yah, yah, Amber, so was he tall? I think I remember someone who likes a tall guy..."

"Yah..." Soojung covered her reddened face, but that only make the other girls on fire.

"Oh! Oh!" Amber confirmed excitedly. "He is really tall. Your height probably only as his chin. Oh it's the perfect height to hug!"

Soojung tried so hard not to smile, but it was futile. She slapped Amber's shoulder, but the boyish girl just doubled over.

"Ohh... She's imagining it!" Victoria wiggled her eyebrows playfully, "But we haven't asked the most important question: is he cute?"

Amber's answer was almost immediate. "Abso-freaking-lutely!!"

"Yah! Both of you, stop it!" Soojong yelled, but no one heard her. It was only make Sulli and Luna came to join them.

"What is it? What is it? What happened?" asked Sulli as she joined them.

"Uri Soojungie would soon have a boyfriend!" Victoria answered while laughing.

"Eomma!" Soojung tried to deny it. "It's not true. Don't listen to her!"

"Jinjja na yo?" Luna ignored her. "Dugu?"

"I think we should browse him," Amber said.

"Yahh!! These guys seriously!"

That night, the girls was busy surfing the internet to find Soojung's-boyfriend-wannabe, laughing along as they mercilessly. She was pissed, and embarrassed, but she's also curious about this guy. She could only hope that he is as nice as he looked and as kind as people said he was, so she could be comfortable during filming. She also hoped that her group would stop teasing her all the time, because if not, God please help me...