Arriving

A "Little" Secret

I woke up from the flight attendant saying, “We will now be landing in Seoul, South Korea.” I grabbed my suitcase from above my head and walked off the plane sleepily. I stepped off the plane and rubbed my eyes. I squinted at the bright light that came from the sky. There were signs with people’s names everywhere. I tried looking for the face that of the 18 year old. He couldn’t have changed that much, right? Well not facially… I walked around that crowd of people, looking for the sign that said ‘Melody’ or ‘Mel.’ Maybe even ‘Melody Johnson.’ There probably isn’t many Mel Johnsons in the world… I put my hand over my face to keep the sun out of my eyes.

Why is it so bright? Oh, the time difference

I shook my head at my thoughts and bumped into someone and fell on my .

“Oh, joesonghabnida…” I muttered as I looked up. A not so tall man with sunglasses stood in front of me. He had blond hair, was he a foreigner?

“Oh! So sorry!” the man said in English as he grabbed my arm and helped me up.

“You speak English? Can you help me?” I asked as I looked at him with pleading eyes. He nodded and linked arms with me.

“What do you need help with?” he asked as we walked towards the exit.

“Well, my friend sent me a plane ticket to come visit him but I can’t find him.” I replied as I looked around.

“Jinja?! I did something like that! What’s this friend’s name?” he asked with excited eyes. I laughed at his expression.

“His name is Henry.” I exclaimed. He let go of my arm and I looked at him with confusion. His mouth was agape and his eyes were wide.

“Mel?! I’ve been waiting!” he squealed and hugged me tightly. I stood stiffly, trying to take in everything that was happening. Then I realized, this was Henry! I brought my arms up and hugged him back. We started jumping in happiness. He broke the hug, but kept his hands on my arms, and looked at me with shock.

“You’ve grown so much! Omo! Yah, you wear makeup? Why” His tone sounded super excited. I nodded at him and looked him up and down.

“What about yourself? You look so much more slimmer and… your hair!” I said as I pointed at his hair and he scratched the back of his head. He shook his head and grabbed my hand.

“Come! I have so much to show you.” He emphasized ‘so.’ He dragged me out of the airport and led me to a nice black car. He walked to the other side and I just stood still.

“Aren’t you getting in?” he asked. I raised an eyebrow and gave him a long stare. “What?” He asked once again. I shook my head and just got in. He slowly got in after me and stared at me intently.

“Somethin’ wrong?” He asked. I turned my head slowly and gave him a look that probably said ‘Dude, I don’t think I trust you with driving me around. You failed your driving test when you were 16.’

“I’m responsible!” He yelled as he started the car and looked back at me. “Trust me?”

“Stop with the questions already…” I said as I sunk into the seat.

“Yah! You don’t trust me?!” He pouted. I nodded and he frowned. “I was joking…” he said as he drove off. I clutched my small suitcase, hoping that he won’t kill us.

“Hey, calm down. I can see you holding your bag tightly. Is that all you have with you?” I nodded and looked at him. His mouth was agape again from shock.

“You know my dad. He won’t let me get anything unless I use my own money. Mom can’t buy me anything because he’ll find out…” I reminded him. He nodded in understanding and continued to drive.

“We should get you some stuff or something. Hey! You should permanently live here!” He suggested. I stared at him with my eyes widened.

“No, no, no! I can’t do that!” I said loudly. Or can I? I never actually thought of living here.

“Yah, what’s wrong? Don’t wanna stay with oppa?” He asked jokingly. I shook my head as I watched the people walk down the sidewalks and into some stores.

“Wanna go somewhere?” he asked me. I shook my head and continued staring out the window. I could feel myself slowly dozing off.

 

I don’t know how long I slept but when I woke up I was being carried bridal style up the stairs.

“What are you doing?” I asked sleepily. Henry chuckled softly.

“Helping you move into my place with some of my friends.” As I heard the word ‘friends’ I jumped out of his arms and landed on the floor.

“What f-friends?” I asked confusingly. He grinned a bit and pulled me up by my arm.

“Don’t be scared! They don’t bite! Well not all the times that is…” He grabbed my luggage and pulled it up the stairs. I slowly followed after him.

“We won’t have to live here long. It’s just until I can help you get your things sorted. Oh, only a few of them can speak English by the way.” He said to me as he continued going up the stairs. I stopped moving and stood frozen. How will I survive this? He must’ve heard my footsteps stop because he turned and stared at me.

“Stop being so hesitant!” He groaned and grabbed my wrist. I was pulling back so that it made it more of a struggle for him but he didn’t give in. He turned around, bent down, and picked me up in a way that I was upside down. I was banging on his back and shouting to make him out me down but he didn’t listen. I soon got tired of all this energy that was wasted and just gave up. I could hear his small laughter of victory.

“Are you ready, Mel-ah?” he asked.

“Excus-“ Before I could complete my sentence, he opened the door and dropped me. I glared at him and stood up while rubbing the pain that returned to my once again. I looked up and there were people in the room.

“Oh, uhm, annyeonghaseyo…” I said as I gave them a 90 degree bow. They all stared at Henry in confusion and he just smiled awkwardly.

Hyungs… i nae chingu Mel-imnida.” He said with a bright smile. There were little ‘ohs’ going around the room.

“What did you say?” I whispered in his ear. He grabbed my arm and led me the center of what seemed to be the living room. I stood with my head down and confusion. Henry started talking in more Korean and the other guys just nodded in understanding.

“Mel, this is as you know, some of the members of Super Junior!” he said to me. I stared at him confusingly again.

“Who?”