Chapter nine

Playful kiss

     After a couple volunteers finish reading a few pages of Romeo and Juliet, there is a class discussion as to whether or not Juliet should have agreed to marry Romeo. Unlike in my previous lessons, I sit quietly at my desk, staring at nothing but the whiteboard a few meters in front, and do not contribute to the class discussion.

      Mr. Park – sensing my lack of enthusiasm – hurdles a few questions my way, but I answer them as quickly as possible, and then return to my silence. I’m not usually like this, actually, I’m never like this. However, Suho’s smirk sticks in my mind like glue, irritating yet adorable. I cannot concentrate whilst he’s sat only a few desks behind me! He’s too distracting.

     As I fidget in my seat, I accidentally knock over my pencil, which lands on the floor with a quiet ‘ping’. A few faces turn in my direction to see what has happened, as if I’ve accidentally dropped a nuclear bomb.

     Oh come on people, it’s a pencil, stop looking at me like I’m a criminal; it’s not my fault I’m clumsy.

     Clumsy…

     UGH! Everything I do, everything, leads to a portal in my head that transfers my attention to Suho.

     Suho, Suho, Suho, that’s all I freakin’ think about now…There must be an article in some sort of teenage girl magazine that has ‘the guide to avoiding the jerk who you’re forced to live with’ in it, other wise those magazines are of no use to me.

     “Right, class. Open your planners and write down your homework.” Mr. Park orders us after I’ve retrieved my pencil from the floor.

     I turn to the first page of my planner. The consecutive sentences that read ‘Joohyun, you’re and idiot’ lye at the top of the page, a few lines below them, I write ‘Friday – English Homework’ and wait for Mr. Park to continue talking.

     “Since we’re on the topic of romance, I would like you to compose a poem with the title ‘Him’, if you’re a girl, or ‘Her’, if you’re a boy. The poem should be at least 3 stanza’s long, and should be completed without any assistance. Overall, it should be under the genre of romance.” Well, duh. He pauses his speech as the bell rings to alert us it’s the end of school. “You’re dismissed.” He finishes.

      I start to pack up, returning my stationary to my pencil case, and sliding Romeo and Juliet back into the plastic wallet in my folder before closing it. I bury everything into my bag and push myself off the seat, walking onto the isle between the desks, only to immobilize in my place. Suho’s foot is touching mine, our arms are side-by-side, we’re squished between the desks either side of us, and I don’t dare move.

Suho

         If Seohyun were to be someone else, someone who isn’t part of the ‘popular’ kids in school, I would flinch away in disgust, or barge them out of my way. But, somehow, the reason behind why I don’t do just that is because the person I bump into is Seohyun. I sense my leg against hers, my fingers only inches from hers, our arms smothered together; we’re trapped in the isle, together.

     Like a gentleman, I step backward to allow her to move further down the isle, allowing her as much space as she needs to walk freely, even though I did enjoy the sensation of being that close to her. But, I remember to act like my normal, jerk self, otherwise Lay and Kai will detect something.

     Oh yeah, did I say, I haven’t told anyone about Seohyun and her parents living in my house. Not even Lay and Kai, not even them.

     I don’t know why, I guess I’m embarrassed? No, that isn’t the right answer. Maybe I’m afraid to get my reputation ruined? Ha! Rubbish, my reputation will never get destroyed. Big ego, I know, but it’s the truth. I guess the reason behind all this secrecy, is because I know she doesn’t want me spreading the news around school. I have a feeling she doesn’t enjoy the limelight, so I won’t give it to her.

     Wow. I sound like a . Am I actually defending this girl? A nerd, an unpopular, a girl that isn’t even my type? Nervously, she shuffles away from me without even saying thank you.

     Cheers Seohyun, I always new you were a really nice girl (cough, sarcasm, cough). It’s not every day that I will do that for someone of your social level, consider yourself extra, extra lucky. I want to laugh at how edgy she looks as she paces away from me; I most definitely heard how fast she was breathing when we bumped into each other, proving how shocked she was.

    “What was that all about, dude?” My eyes turn to meet Lay’s who’s standing beside to me.

     “Oh, nothing. Just some kid who helped me out at the library.” I reply, unbothered.

     “Dude, you go to the library?” Kai asks from behind me, sounding shocked that I would do something like that.

     If you haven’t already realized, Kai and Lay are completely against education and can’t care less what grades they get in their end of year exams. This is mainly because both their families are loaded, so, they don’t feel the need to work if they’ve got all the money they could ever want. But, that’s what makes me different to them, I like working, I like getting good grades. Deep, deep, deep down, I’m a nerd.

     I guess that’s something Seohyun and me have in common.

     “Yeah, I needed a new book.” I wave the Romeo and Juliet copy that’s rested in my hand, in their faces.

     I’m not lying. I did go to the library yesterday after school to get a new copy of Romeo and Juliet, since I lost the other one. However, I obviously didn’t meet Seohyun there, I just looked for the book, checked it out, and went home.

     “Whatever man. You going to Luhan's tonight?” Kai asks.

     Instead of looking at me, his eyes are fused to Jung Jessica’s backside as she leaves the classroom, I have to snap my fingers 3 times in order to bring him back to reality. Meet Kai, the player who’s slept around with more girls than those who have befriended me on Facebook, and that’s a lot of girls.

     Then, there is quiet and innocent Lay, who is most definitely the complete opposite of Kai. He’s had only one girlfriend in the past, and their relationship lasted for 3 years. Ever since she broke up with him when she and her family moved away last semester, Lay’s been quieter than ever. I think he’s still grieving.

     “Man, I swear I already told you this a billion times. No. Luhan’s an idiot, and I can’t be bothered.” I huff in Kai's face, before twisting my body away from them and moving further down the classroom.

     “Does that mean Yoona isn’t coming?” He runs to catch up to me.

     Yoona is my ‘girlfriend’. HAHA. More like ‘friend’. We’re friends, with benefits, but since we’ve been banging each other for 3 straight months, everybody assumes we’re dating. So, apparently, Im Yoona is my girlfriend…

     The word girlfriend makes me shudder, I mean, what fun is it to be in a relationship? How can it possibly bring you joy? The most it can bring you is baggage. Ugh. Sorry Lay, but seriously, how the hell did you keep it up for 3 years?

     “How am I supposed to know?” I say.

     “She is your girlfriend, isn’t she?” Lay states.

     “Uhuh, yeah, sure.” I mumble, exiting the classroom.

     Speak of the devil; Yoona skips towards us, through the crowds of students in the corridor, and wraps her arm around mine when she reaches me. Tugging at my hand, she pulls me lower, and plants a rushed kiss on my cheek. Great, I’ve got strawberry scented lip-gloss stuck to my cheek.

     “How was English, babe?” She questions as we begin to walk more rapidly through the corridor, the students quickly move out of our way to allow us past. We receive stares and awed faces as we walk further into the corridor - the usual response that people give me and the rest of the boys when we’re seen anywhere around school.

     “Fine.” I answer, keeping a straight face and not bothering to give her any attention.

     Yoona is great in bed, but that’s it. She isn’t funny, or intelligent, nor friendly, she’s just extremely good-looking, immensely popular, and – like I said – great in bed. After several failed attempts of Yoona making conversation with me, we arrive at our lockers. I fiddle with the lock, entering the correct digits to finally hear the click that permits me to open the locker door.

     “Did you hear?” She begins her regular ing session that the boys and me seem to hear a lot nowadays. “Luhan has personally invited a girl to his party. There are rumors going around that he hasn’t even spoken to the girl yet, he just likes what he see’s from a distance.”

     “She must be in the lower year, he’s already had his share of all the girls in our year.” Kai guesses.

     “Nope. She’s in our year, but she’s an outcast, nobody’s really heard of her before today.” Yoona tells him. “I was surprised Luhan would actually fall for a girl who isn’t popular.” She admits.

     “He hasn’t fallen for her, he just wants to her. Don’t you get it?” I correct her.

     Luhan? Falling for a girl? I’ll believe that only when he’s married. Actually…he’ll probably cheat on his wife, that’s if he ever gets married.

     “Nuh uh, this girl’s different. Luhan’s sister told Krystal that he’s been keeping tabs on her for a while. If he wanted to sleep with her, he would’ve done it when he first took interest, wouldn’t he?” She debates, folding her arms across her chest and leaning against the lockers, her dark eyes still on mine.

     I place my books into my locker, only leaving my planner in my school bag, and gently slap the door shut. I’m suddenly curious to find out whom Luhan’s ‘girl’ is, and whether she’s actually worth all the attention she is getting, not only from Luhan but also from a jealous Yoona.

     “Why’d you care so much, you afraid she’s gonna take your spotlight?” I ask Yoona mockingly, knowing it’ll annoy her.

     “I don’t care. I just…” Her unfinished sentence trails off her tongue and I loose her attention to something else in the corridor. My eyes follow the same direction that hers are looking in, but I don’t get what she’s staring at. “There she is,” her jaw is clenched tight; her expression resembles a cheetah that’s ready to pounce.

     Yes, definitely jealous.

     “Where?” Lay asks.

     “There.” She points discreetly towards the opposite side of the corridor, towards a girl who’s busily rummaging through her locker, a girl that…Seohyun! She’s pointing to Seohyun! Innocently standing at her locker, placing the necessary books into the metal cabinet and then shutting it with as little sound as possible, Seohyun is completely oblivious to the fact that we’re talking about her.

     “You mean, Seohyun?” I ask surprised, turning to Yoona to make sure she has pointed at the correct person.

     “Yeah, how’d you know her name?” Yoona nods.

     “She helped him out at the library.” Kai answers Yoona before I can.

      Seohyun now turns away from her locker and starts to stride down the corridor, carefully dodging around people who get in her way. I watch her back intensely until she eventually disappears from my view; yet, I feel the need to follow her. Inside me grows an urge that’s persuading me to go after her and advice her not to go to the party, because, Luhan’s intentions are never good.

     What if the rumors of him actually ‘falling’ for her are completely false, and he ends up using her instead? She hasn’t done him wrong, so she doesn’t deserve to be treated like that.

     For s sake, listen to me. I sound like even more of a . Am I actually attempting to defend this girl, who uses the nickname ‘dickhead’ against me? The girl who’s house collapsed, so resultantly is dragged into mine, and is far too confident, and far too clumsy, and far too unpopular, and far too…nice, and far too pretty, and… When I come to think of it, the list goes on.

     Oh ing hell dude, what the ? You’re calling Seohyun– someone you hardly knew before yesterday – pretty, nice, and all the other compliments you have circling in your brain. Are you serious? Ugh, grow a please.

     I decide to ignore the voice in my head, and follow what I know is the right thing to do. Luhan’s an idiot, and he isn’t going to score anything tonight, especially not with Seohyun.

     “I need to run, see you later.” I call towards the boys and Yoona, before heading in the same direction as Seohyun.

End       

     As soon as I reach the car park, I spot Soonkyu leaning against her red Ford that’s parked on the front row, her phone that settles in her hand is pressed up against her ear and she’s in conversation with whoever is on the other line. When she sees me, she waves spastically for me to come over. Once I’m close enough, I can hear her speak through the phone.

     “Yeah, she’s right here.” Soonkyu speaks, and outstretches her arm to hand me the phone.

     “Who is it?” I mouth towards her, making no noise.

     "Your mom.” She mouths back, and I take the phone from her clasp.

      “Hey mom.” I greet through the phone.

     "Hi sweetie, so are you sure you want to stay at Soonkyu’s house tonight?” She questions.

     At lunch, both Soonkyu and I agreed that she’ll convince my mom to let me stay at her house for tonight, since my mom would never let me go out to a party, ever. So, I have to pretend that I’m sleeping over at Soonkyu’s house in order to sneak out to the party. Her parents are on call doctors, so they work night shifts instead of day shifts, therefore, we’ll have the whole night to enjoy.

     “Yeah, I’m sure, don’t worry.” I feel a little guilty for lying to her, but I do want to go to this party, my first ever party.

     “Okay, well, I’m sorry if this sudden move has put you off a little. It’s only temporary until we find a permanent house.” She sympathizes.

     “Mom, it’s fine. Don’t worry. I have to go now, but I’ll talk to you later.” I quickly change the subject before she gets into the flow of her ‘parenting lectures’ that I really cannot be assed for.

     As I listen to her shed her goodbyes, and a list of precautions I should be aware of to make sure I don’t get killed or kidnapped tonight, I sense someone breathing behind me. I look up to see Soonkyu’s shocked expression as she stares uncertainly at whoever is hoisted very close to my back. Collecting enough courage from within my body – which now seems to be quivering slightly – I twist around to face whoever it is. Bad idea…

     They are far to close behind me, therefore, when I do turn around, I end up smacking my head against their body and tripping over my feet, landing first on the pavement. Straight after slapping not only my , but also my palms against the solid, rough ground, I wince in pain and embarrassment.

     Wait to go Joohyun…

     "Oh, me.” I cry, still sat unmoving on the pavement, rubbing the dirt off my hands and onto my trousers.

     "Language!” I hear my mother shout through the phone that is now sprawled on the ground beside me, and I roll my eyes, still in immense pain.

     "No thank you, clumsy.”

     Uh oh. I suddenly find it hard to breath, my heart rate dramatically rises and a scorching heat overwhelms my face. Great, I’ve turned into a tomato. I never look up, I’m too ashamed and mortified, but I see, out of the corner of my eye, his hand outstretching towards me, offering me help. My eyes dart to his to see whether he’s being serious, or playing an annoying trick on me. However, I’m terribly surprised; he’s smiling, his expression is apologetic, and his hand is patiently held out to accept mine. For once I see another side to Suho, a very, very foreign side to him.

     Kim suho is trying to help me.


s30hyun_luvar

A/N

Updated!!!
Enjoy keep subscribing 
Im only labeling Suho's POV
And when it ends
Go check out my other FF
'Project Popularity'