Chapter eight

Playful kiss


      After hiking the streets for 10 minutes, I eventually arrive at school. Just before the bell rings. I rush towards the senior corridors that are trafficked with students huddling around their lockers, getting books out for the day of lessons to come. Thankfully, the girl I need the most is waiting patiently by my tall, blue locker, looking down at her shoes as I approach her.

      “Hey Soonkyu,” I say once I’m in her earshot.

      Her head shoots up to face mine, and her eyes are evidently needy to find out what happened yesterday after she left. I enter the code into my lock, which then clicks opens, allowing me to pull my locker open. Inside sits my school bag and my books, undisturbed and in the same position as I’d left them yesterday, except there’s a folded note that’s probably been threaded through the gaps of the locker door.

      “What happened yesterday? Was that guy’s house nice? Is he rich? What was it like? What’s going to happen to your house? You have to tell me everything!” Her continuous voice echoes in the background of my mind, but my main attention is focused on the note. “What is that?” She questions, snatching the note out of my locker before I can.

      “Soonkyu, I don’t know. Give it back.” I reach for the note, but Marissa is much faster than me and hides the note away from my grasp.

      “Is there a boy I don’t know about?” She asks shocked, then unfolds the piece of paper.

      Her eyes widen in surprise as she stares unblinkingly at the paper, her expression resembles a person’s that’s just seen a ghost. Oh come on! You’re so dramatic Soonkyu!

      “What is it?” I inquire, annoyed.

      While she’s in a trance of shock, I feel it’s my opportunity to seize the paper from her weak clasp. And I succeed! After enjoying a proud moment, I read the paper quickly and know instantly why Soonkyu's expression is so. I can relate to her awe, for the first time. On the crumpled piece of paper, in messy handwriting, is a message:

Hey, Seohyun. Come to my party tonight?

Starts at 8pm.

16, Peach Drive, kingston.

You can invite as many friends as you like 

     - Xi Luhan

      Gulp.


      Xi Luhan, handsome, Soccer captain, intelligent, popular (although not as popular as ‘the three’), has invited me to his party? No, this wasn’t possible. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Soonkyu biting her hand, leaving visible tooth marks in her skin when she pulls her hand away from her teeth.

      “Yep, I’m definitely awake.” She states, examining her now red and sore-looking hand.

      “You might need to bite me as well,” I swallow, feeling a lump of nervousness grow in my throat.

      Me? Seo joohyun. Invited to a party?

      “You have to go!” When Soonkyu finally realizes that this is reality, and she is definitely not dreaming – and has a painful-looking bite mark on her hand – she squeals in excitement in my ear.

       I step away from her, covering my tender ear with my hand that isn’t holding the paper that’s message seems to weigh a ton, straining my arm.

      “Sorry…” She pouts cutely, quieting her voice.

      “And, no. I’m not going.” I throw the paper back into my locker, sensing Soonkyu's eyes piercing my face as she glares at me in disbelief.

      “Please tell me you’re joking?” She massages her temples whilst sealing her eyes shut, something she does when she has a headache.

       “No, I’m being serious. I’m not going.” I state again, checking the lessons that I have today in my planner.

      Math’s, Biology, Art, Gym, and lastly, English.

      Suho is in my English class…

      As soon as I think of him, the pain in my chest seems to reappear. His perfect face is painted in my mind, his messy hair, his brown eyes, and his defined jaw line. I’m in a daydream just thinking about him.

      Joohyun, I swear I’ll give you three slaps again when you finish school.


      “Why the not?” Soonkyu's eyes are now wide-open, she stomps her feet like an annoyed child that’s mother refused to buy it chocolate.

       “Because, it’s not my scene, and I don’t want to go alone. I wouldn’t know anyone there.” I convince not only Soonkyu, but also myself. Yet, part of me really, really wants to go.

      “Didn’t you read what the note said? It said you could invite as many friends as you want!” She circles her hand around her face, indicating for me to take her to the party.

      “You really want to go?” I ask.

      “Seohyun! It’s not everyday that Xi Luhan personally invites you to his party!” She states matter-of-factly, staring at me as if I’ve gone crazy.

      Maybe I have, because what can excite me even more than being invited to Luhan's party, is going back to the Kim’s house and seeing Suho once again…

      Snap out of it, Joohyun. This is your last warning. Do not get wrapped up in Suho.

      “I’ll take that as a yes?” I guess, Soonkyu's eyes look hopeful, pleading me to change my mind and go to the party. So I do. “Fine, I’ll go, and you’re coming too.” I give in to the puppy dog eyes she always gives me when she desperately wants something. Soonkyu’s body leaps into the air with joy.

       I’m glad I can make someone happy.

      Just as I open my mouth to speak to her again, I sense a hush settle over the whole corridor. All the students, even Soonkyu, turn their heads to the opposite end of the corridor, waiting to see something. What’s going on? A couple of girls huddled around one locker whisper and giggle to each other, staring in awe in the same direction as every body else. I decide I don’t have time for whatever people are ‘mesmerized’ by, so I turn my back against the corridor and fiddle through my locker to get the necessary books for the day.

      Behind me, I hear footsteps that make my head twist to peak at who they belong to. Just as I guessed, it belongs to the handsome looking god’s of Colton High, ‘the three’. Lay, Kai, and Suho. As they walk, they don’t pay attention to the subtle audience observing them, they simply stare at the ground with their hands stuffed in their pockets, and walk towards their allocated lockers. I roll my eyes and want to scream ‘you’re not in a Hollywood movie, for s sake’.

      Evidently, I don’t dare do anything like that, especially if I don’t want the whole senior year ganging up on me. So, I start to turn back to the contents of my locker, only to freeze in my place and have my breath caught in my throat, almost chocking me.

      Why?

      Due to the melting fact that Suho’s eyes meet mine.

      They aren’t cold, nor too dark, they are their perfect chocolate brown colour that so easily catches me off guard, and traps me in his gaze. But, I’m the first one to look away, which I feel confident about. I’m still pissed off with what he said in the car this morning, and I have not forgiven him, nor will I ever. He’s a jerk, and it’ll be best if I stay away from him – like the caring voice in my head is telling me to.

      Whatever Suho, I may have to live with you for a while, but you’re not going to fool me with those eyes again, nor that defined chest, nor those arms, nor that messy hair…STOP!

      God dammit Joohyun! You’re a lost cause…

 

** 

      The school day passes by faster than I thought it would, and before I know it, the bell rings to alert students to head to their last lesson. I pace through the school by myself – since Soonkyu is not in my English class – and head to the languages department. Opening the door to Mr. Park's English room, I promptly remember that Suho is in this class as well. Suddenly, I become eager to enter into the classroom, and when I do, he’s the first person I spot. Sat in the far left-hand corner at the back of the class with Lay in front of him and Kai beside of him, is Suho, with his arms folded and rested on his desk. He’s looking out of the window to his left, overseeing the soccer fields in the distance where a junior class are currently practicing.

       Involuntarily, my hand adjusts my hair. Whenever I see Suho, it seems to be an unconscious and automatic response – adjust hair, tidy clothes, look bored. But, why am I trying so hard? And only when I see him? Am I somehow trying to impress him?

       I liked myself a lot better when I didn’t take any interest in Suho.

       It’s taken him only a day, and he’s already lured me into a game that I know I’m going to lose.

       You will not become his , you will not become his , you will not become his !

       Walking around a few desks, I reach my allocated seat, which is straight in the middle of the room, and drop my bag near the leg of the table. Lowering myself onto the seat, I take a peak over my shoulder, only to spin my head back around to face the front of the room almost immediately. He’s looking at me; Suho’s looking at me. I decide, for my tired hearts sake, not to turn around anymore, I highly doubt the cardiac muscle surrounding my precious organ is strong enough to withhold such powerful beats.

       Adrenaline is a .

       So, I distract myself. Leaning down towards my bag, I pull out my English folder, my planner and my pencil case. Taking a biro out of my pencil case and opening my planner to the first clean sheet of lined paper, I start to write: Joohyun, you’re an idiot. Writing that phrase over and over I guess is similar to giving myself a detention for being so…. The old Seo Joohyun would never be caught up in a guy like I am now, not even if he is Suho.

       Mr. Park finally arrives, pushing through the door with difficulty whilst holding a dozen folders in his hand and clutching onto his briefcase. He places the folders and the briefcase onto the table and claps his hands to silence the mummers echoing throughout the class.

      “Quiet please!” He calls, silencing every student.

      Thank god, know I won’t feel the need to look back at Suho; instead, I’ll focus my attention on Mr. Park, which I always do with every teacher. Scoring straight A’s in every exam of every subject is hard work, but by paying attention to the teachers – unlike many other students – I get the marks pretty easily.

      “Please turn to scene eleven, page sixteen of Romeo and Juliet.” He instructs us while rubbing black pen marks off the whiteboard with the whiteboard rubber.

      I open my folder and empty my Romeo and Juliet novel from the plastic wallet in the front, turning to the appropriate page before resting my chin in my palm. I so desperately want to see if Suho is still looking at me, and why he was looking at me in the first place.  

     Concentrate Joohyun!

     “Right, Teayeon, you start us off.” Mr. Park orders the girl in front of me to start reading, and so she does.

       Although the language of Romeo and Juliet is undoubtedly impossible to follow, and I have no clue as to what the hell is going on half the time, it’ll always be the most beautiful and touching story I’ve ever read. Obviously, I know the main story line, who doesn’t? If only I had a ‘Romeo’ in my life… Suho seems like the perfect ‘Romeo’, but not for me, but probably for some rich, beautiful model-type girl who would rather keep her legs open than her heart.

       Joohyun, focus! You’re really bugging me right now. You’re more annoying than River, and that’s definitely saying something.

      “Thank you Taeyeon,” Mr. Park stops the girl from reading any further, and then searches the room for another reader. His eyes land on someone behind me. “Suho, you read next please.”

      Absolutely every head in the class – including mine - turns towards Suho, who straightens in his chair and clears his throat. Just for one miniscule second, our eyes meet, but he turns his head to the book in his hands.

       “O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright! Her beauty hangs upon the cheek of night, like a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear; beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear! So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows, as yonder lady o'er her fellows shows. The measure done, I'll watch her place of stand, and, touching hers, make blessed my rude hand.

      Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night.” He speaks in the most intriguing tone, and I’m hooked.

      “Thank you, Suho.” Mr. Park stops him before he can speak any further.

      Mr. Park! You’re a good teacher and all, but you’re such a buzz-kill! Why’d you make him stop, I want to listen to more, I want to hear him read again…

       River puts the book down on the desk and faces the front of the class, catching my eye in the process. And I swear to the holy mother of Jesus, he looks at me with the deepest and most seductive look for a second longer than needed, causing my heart to jolt. I turn to face away from him, only after seeing the smirk that creeps onto his symmetrical lips. His smirk proves that he knows how he makes me feel, and he knows that he’s toying with my emotions. It’s so freakin’ unfair!

       Joohyun, you’re in deep .

       I think I have a crush on Kim Suho.

 

               

                                                                s30hyun_luvar

A/N

enjoy!!!

 Might add a Suho pov ^^

Go check out my other ongoing FF 'Project Popularity'

Keep subscribing and commenting, also upvote