8

Babysitter

A month passed and Sojin was able to do some things but was on crutches. One day, she was waiting for Hyeri outside of her school. She saw Hyeri with her friends, then Hyeri left her group of friends and came over to Sojin.

"Unnie!" Hyeri smiled and hugged Sojin carefully.

"Hi~ Did you have a nice day?" Sojin asked as they started to return home.

"Yeah, but when we get home there's something I need to tell you." Hyeri said.

"Can't you just tell me now?" Sojin asked.

"No.." Hyeri mumbled.

When they reached home, Hyeri threw her bag at the bottom of the stairs and went to sit on the couch. Sojin came and sat next to her.

"Are you gonna tell me now?" Sojin asked.

Hyeri nodded. "It's about a boy. He said that he likes me, but I.. I messed up and said I was already with someone and now everyone wants to know who.. I said it was someone in a different school and they keep asking for pictures. I don't know what I should do.." Hyeri said, snuggling close to Sojin.

"Well.. It's none of their business in the first place.. Just ignore them, Hyeri. They'll get bored and stop asking soon." Sojin said, Hyeri's hair with her good hand.

"Didn't you ever have any experiences like this though? As in like.. Weird rumours?" Hyeri asked.

"Well.. There was this one time.. But it was different.."

 

Flashback - Sojin's high school years

A twelve year old Park Sojin was sat outside on a bench flicking through a book. Her best friend, Jihae was sat next to her.

"Sojin, you're always studying.. We don't even have any tests!" Jihae said. "Put the book down for once!"

"I'll need this information in the future." Said Sojin. "But if you insist." She put the book away in her bag.

"There's something I've wanted to ask you about for a while.." Jihae went quiet.

"Yes? Carry on, Jihae." Sojin said, watching the other girl.

"I.. Sojin.. I.. Uh.." Jihae looked down.

"What is it, Jihae?" Sojin asked, moving closer.

"I like you, Sojin!" Jihae blurted out, then she covered quickly. "Oh god, I'm so sorry!"

"No.. It's okay.. How long have you had these feelings?" Sojin asked.

"A while.. Almost a year.." Jihae mumbled.

"Do you want me to kiss you?" Sojin asked.

Jihae nodded slowly. Sojin started to move closer, but before their lips met, Jihae spoke.

"Sojin..." Jihae started.

"Shh.. Promise you won't tell anyone about this.." Sojin said quietly.

"I.. I promise.." Jihae breathed.

Their lips pressed together for a minute, then there was the sound of giggling and gasps and doors opening and closing. Sojin backed away quickly.

"Jihae.." Sojin gasped.

Jihae stood up quickly. "Should I-"

"Go." Sojin finished her sentence.

 

Present

"So what happened after that?" Hyeri asked.

"We were the talk of the school. Nobody wanted to be our friend anymore and it lasted a long time. In fact, it was only a short while after I started looking after you that people started to accept me." Sojin said.

"And what about Jihae? What happened to her?" Hyeri asked, completely drawn in by the entire story.

"..She left the school. I never saw her again. That's when Yura and Minah let me hang out with them, they felt sorry for me." Sojin looked away sadly.

"We could find her, you know." Hyeri said.

"How? And what use would it be anyway? She probably has a boyfriend now anyway, that was a long time ago. I doubt she even remembers me." Sojin said.

"Best friends don't forget about each other. You didn't forget about her, so she won't have forgotten about you." Hyeri said, standing up. "We need to find her!" Then she ran upstairs.

"Hyeri! We can't! You have school and your job!" Sojin yelled.

But it was too late. A few minutes later, Hyeri had a bag full of food and drinks and was dragging Sojin out to the car.

"I'll drive!" Hyeri said.

"You're not even legal yet though!" Sojin said. "Hyeri, you'll kill us both!"

"No I won't~" Said Hyeri. "You can get comfy in the back, and go on your laptop and search for emails from her."

"If you really think it'll work, then alright.." Sojin sighed.

As Hyeri started to drive surprisingly well, Sojin was signing into her old email. She went straight to her old contacts and found Jihae. She saw that Jihae's profile was still in use and she was actually online. It took her a moment, but Sojin managed to send her something.

'Hello Jihae.'

It took a minute or so for Jihae to respond.

'Who is this??'

'Sojin.'

'Sojin??'

'Do you remember me?'

'Of course I do. Weren't you in a gang attack?'

Sojin snorted.

"What are you snorting at?" Hyeri asked.

"She thinks I was in a gang attack." Sojin said.

"..She's talking to you?!" Hyeri slammed on the breaks and almost caused a crash.

"HYERI! Drive safely!" Sojin hissed.

'No. I wasn't. I was attacked though. I'd like to come and visit you, Jihae. Where do you live now?'

'I live in Seoul again. After high school I moved back. Do you want to come today?'

'Sure. Do you mind if I bring a friend?'

'I don't mind at all.' Jihae sent her address to Sojin and she read it out to Hyeri.

"You know where that is, right?" Sojin asked.

"Yeah, of course I do!" Hyeri said, making a dangerous turn.

"Oh my god, be careful!" Sojin gasped.

They eventually reached their destination and Sojin saw Jihae stood on the driveway. Hyeri almost crashed into the wall whilst trying to park. Sojin got out of the car carefully and used her crutches to approach Jihae slowly.

"Hi, Sojin~" Jihae said happily, helping Sojin inside.

Hyeri followed along. They sat in the living room together and Sojin spoke.

"This is Hyeri." Sojin said.

"Nice to meet you, Hyeri. I'm Jihae." Said Jihae.

"Nice to meet you too." Hyeri said quietly, sinking back into the couch.

Whilst Jihae and Sojin were talking, Hyeri looked around. It was only when she heard her name being mentioned that she started to listen.

"I've been looking after Hyeri for a long time now. She had a disagreement with her parents, so she lives with me now." Sojin was saying. "It was her idea for me to come and see you."

"What were you talking about that mentioned me?" Jihae asked.

"Hyeri was asking about high school so I told her about it. You were my best friend, I couldn't leave you out." Said Sojin with a smile.

"Ah, I see." Jihae said.

Talk turned to other things, and by the time they were done it had gone dark outside and it was very late.

"We should go now.." Hyeri mumbled to Sojin.

"You can't drive in the dark." Sojin said.

"..I'm sorry for interrupting, but is Hyeri even allowed to drive? She looks very young." Jihae said.

"She isn't. She's sixteen. She was just-" Sojin started, but Jihae stood up.

"I'll drive you back then." Said Jihae.

"But how will you get back home?" Sojin asked.

"I'll get the bus." Said Jihae.

"You're always welcome to stay over at our house." Hyeri said as she walked out and got in the car on the back seat.

"..Just stay at our house for tonight." Sojin said, then she went and got in the passenger seat.

Jihae went out and got in the driver's seat. Hyeri passed her the car keys then went to sleep in the back of the car.

"Look at the time.." Jihae mumbled.

"Hyeri can just stay at home tomorrow if she's tired." Sojin said.

"Can I ask what happened between Hyeri and her parents?" Jihae said.

"Alright.. But you can't tell anyone." Sojin said.

"I swear on my life." Jihae said.

"Well.. Hyeri is my girlfriend.. Her parents saw us and they found out and they didn't want us to be together anymore. After her father beat me up, Hyeri moved out." Sojin said quietly.

"..He beat you up?" Jihae gasped.

Sojin nodded. "He didn't want me to touch Hyeri."

"That's an awful thing to do though.. Just because he doesn't want you near his daughter.." Jihae mumbled.

"The reason for my casts is because of that attack. It was recent." Sojin said.

They eventually reached Sojin and Hyeri's house. Jihae carried the sleeping Hyeri upstairs and put her in bed.

"I'll just sleep on the couch." Said Jihae.

"I'll get you some blankets." Said Sojin, then she put her crutches down and hopped up the stairs then threw some blankets down to Jihae.

"Thanks, Sojin." Said Jihae.

"No problem." Sojin mumbled.

Sojin hopped into the bedroom where Hyeri was sleeping and lay on the bed and soon fell asleep. Jihae also fell asleep on the couch after getting a glass of water, feeling happier than ever that she'd found her best friend again.